LAST WEEK RECAP
Michigan opened the 2020 season on the road, at night, against a ranked opponent. The 49-24 victory over Minnesota was impressive, and many national pundits are taking notice.
NEXT UP: vs. Michigan State: 60th, 2.0
PREGAME SP+: Michigan by 19.2, Michigan Win Probability 87%
After the Spartans lost their home opener to Rutgers in week 1, the expectations for this game have drastically shifted. I still think SP+ is under-rating Michigan a bit, and the system is definitely over-rating the Spartans.
Michigan Offense (23rd) vs. Michigan State Defense (17th)
Josh Gattis kicked off his second year as Michigan’s offensive coordinator with a 59% Success Rate (garbage time removed). That is the most efficient offensive performance for Michigan since November 5th, 2016 versus Maryland. While Minnesota’s defense was not strong, the last five outings have produced these efficiency results: 52% at Maryland, 52% at Indiana, 45% vs. Ohio State, 49% vs. Alabama, and 59% on Saturday in Minneapolis. Because SP+ still weighs returning production and preseason ranks after one game, I think the Wolverines’ offense is drastically under-rated.
Michigan Defense (10th) vs. Michigan State Offense (113th)
The Spartans have had some anemic offensive performances the past few seasons as Mark Dantonio refused to adapt and modernize the offense. Mel Tucker’s offensive squad produced seven (!) turnovers at home vs. Rutgers, and struggled to run the ball. I expect Michigan will be able to bottle up the MSU rushing attack as well. Defensive wins on standard downs will set up QB Rocky Lombardi vs. Don Brown’s pass rush in clear passing downs. That promises to be quite an adventure.
PREDICTION: A short time ago, in the preseason, I was giving the Spartans the benefit of the doubt. I thought they would be coming off a relatively easy victory. I also thought that easy victory would allow them to hide a few “kitchen sink” plays that they were saving for the rivalry game. One short week later, it’s clear to me there is a wide gap between how Jim Harbaugh and his staff were able to prepare during COVID, and how Mel Tucker was able to prepare. This should become a horror show for Sparty fans. Happy Halloween!
Michigan 48 Michigan State 3 (PRESEASON Michigan 31 Michigan State 14)
MICHIGAN RESUME UPDATE (10/28/2020), 1-0
SP+ Overall: 9th (↑8), 18.8
SP+ Offense: 23rd (↑15), 35.5
SP+ Defense: 10th (↑4), 16.7
SP+ Special Teams 71st (N/A) -0.1
AP Poll: 13th (↑5), 839
Coaches’ Poll: 14th (↑3), 789
CFP Rank: N/A
- Michigan 63 Northern Illinois 10 – Game 3 Recap - September 18, 2021
- By the Numbers: Game 3 vs. Northern Illinois - September 15, 2021
- Michigan 31 Washington 10 – Game 2 Recap - September 12, 2021
- By the Numbers: Game 2 vs. Washington - September 8, 2021
- Michigan 47 WMU 14 – Game 1 Recap - September 4, 2021
- 2021 By the Numbers: Game 1 vs. Western Michigan - September 1, 2021
- By the Numbers: 2021 Michigan Football Season Preview - August 21, 2021
- Michigan 17 Penn State 27 – Week 6 Recap - November 28, 2020
- By the Numbers: Week 6 vs. Penn State - November 25, 2020
- Michigan 48 Rutgers 42 – Week 5 Recap - November 22, 2020