Lloyd Carr retired two seasons ago but his shadow still looms large over the Michigan football program.
Just ask former Wolverine QB Rick Leach, who this week blasted the former coach on local sports radio.
Leach, who has been a vocal supporter of Carr’s successor Rich Rodriguez, accused Carr of high treason for attending the Michigan/Iowa game and having “…the audacity, the unmitigated gall…” to not sit with the Michigan contingent.
It’s an ironic turn of events for two men who are both so closely identified with Michigan football. Leach for his outstanding college career and Carr for leading the Wolverines to the 1997 National Championship.
Leach, who is revered by many Wolverine fans, seems to represent a vocal minority of Wolverines fans who were critical of Coach Carr and pushed for his departure. What’s puzzling is why nearly two years after Carr’s retirement that the attacks continue.
My impression is that Leach wasn’t exactly one of the Lloyd’s favorite people. When Rodriguez become coach Leach got a new lease on life as a program insider. Since then Leach has been front and center in defending Rodriguez while continuing to take shots at Carr.
But Leach’s campaign against Carr will do nothing to stop the Detroit Free Press’ inquisition of current Coach Rich Rodriguez.
His radio tirade only exposes a fissure between two legends of the Michigan football program.
In times like this I wonder what Bo what would say about the situation.
My guess is he’d chide Lloyd for his choice of seating at the Iowa/Michigan football game.
But it wouldn’t anything compared to the ass chewing that he’d give Leach.
- 2019 Michigan Football Postgame Podcast– Jim Harbaugh Spring Practice Begins… - March 18, 2019
- 2019 Michigan Football Commentary- Jim Harbaugh vs Lloyd Carr - January 30, 2019
- 2019 Michigan Football Commentary- Enter Josh Gattis, Offensive Coordinator… - January 15, 2019
- 2019 Michigan Football Commentary- Exit Greg Mattison, Now We’ve Got Bad Blood… - January 8, 2019
- 2019 Michigan Football Commentary- Peach Bowl Leaves Bitter Taste - January 1, 2019
- 2018 Michigan Football Postgame Podcast– Jim Harbaugh Peach Bowl Florida 41 Michigan 15 “I thought they were ready” - December 31, 2018
- 2018 Michigan Football Game Photos– Peach Bowl Florida 41 Michigan 15 - December 29, 2018
- 2018 MICHIGAN FOOTBALL By the Numbers Podcast Peach Bowl Preview - December 21, 2018
- Scott Matzka (1978-2018) - December 17, 2018
- 2018 Michigan Football Commentary- That Mirage Hurts - December 16, 2018