Lloyd Carr retired two seasons ago but his shadow still looms large over the Michigan football program.
Just ask former Wolverine QB Rick Leach, who this week blasted the former coach on local sports radio.
Leach, who has been a vocal supporter of Carr’s successor Rich Rodriguez, accused Carr of high treason for attending the Michigan/Iowa game and having “…the audacity, the unmitigated gall…” to not sit with the Michigan contingent.
It’s an ironic turn of events for two men who are both so closely identified with Michigan football. Leach for his outstanding college career and Carr for leading the Wolverines to the 1997 National Championship.
Leach, who is revered by many Wolverine fans, seems to represent a vocal minority of Wolverines fans who were critical of Coach Carr and pushed for his departure. What’s puzzling is why nearly two years after Carr’s retirement that the attacks continue.
My impression is that Leach wasn’t exactly one of the Lloyd’s favorite people. When Rodriguez become coach Leach got a new lease on life as a program insider. Since then Leach has been front and center in defending Rodriguez while continuing to take shots at Carr.
But Leach’s campaign against Carr will do nothing to stop the Detroit Free Press’ inquisition of current Coach Rich Rodriguez.
His radio tirade only exposes a fissure between two legends of the Michigan football program.
In times like this I wonder what Bo what would say about the situation.
My guess is he’d chide Lloyd for his choice of seating at the Iowa/Michigan football game.
But it wouldn’t anything compared to the ass chewing that he’d give Leach.
- 2020 Michigan Football Podcast– Decoding the Don Brown Press Conference - June 2, 2020
- 2020 Michigan Football Podcast– RB/Special Teams Coach Jay Harbaugh Press Conference - May 29, 2020
- 2020 Michigan Football Podcast– Defensive Coordinator Don Brown on the failure against Ohio State, “I don’t blame the players, you blame the old guy right here…” - May 21, 2020
- 2020 Michigan Football Podcast– Decoding the Josh Gattis Press Conference- - May 19, 2020
- 2020 Michigan Football Podcast– Offensive Coordinator Josh Gattis Press Conference- On the QB position, “There is no one out front…it’s an interesting battle.” - May 14, 2020
- 2020 Michigan Football Podcast– Jim Harbaugh Calls for Overhaul of College Football Player Eligibility - May 11, 2020
- Coronavirus Update — Do Your Part! - March 16, 2020
- 2020 Michigan Football Podcast– By the Numbers – Jim Harbaugh’s First 5 Seasons - February 24, 2020
- 2020 Michigan Football Podcast– By the Numbers – Final Citrus Bowl Thoughts - January 23, 2020
- 2020 Michigan Football Photos- Citrus Bowl Alabama 35 Michigan 16 - January 3, 2020