Lloyd Carr retired two seasons ago but his shadow still looms large over the Michigan football program.
Just ask former Wolverine QB Rick Leach, who this week blasted the former coach on local sports radio.
Leach, who has been a vocal supporter of Carr’s successor Rich Rodriguez, accused Carr of high treason for attending the Michigan/Iowa game and having “…the audacity, the unmitigated gall…” to not sit with the Michigan contingent.
It’s an ironic turn of events for two men who are both so closely identified with Michigan football. Leach for his outstanding college career and Carr for leading the Wolverines to the 1997 National Championship.
Leach, who is revered by many Wolverine fans, seems to represent a vocal minority of Wolverines fans who were critical of Coach Carr and pushed for his departure. What’s puzzling is why nearly two years after Carr’s retirement that the attacks continue.
My impression is that Leach wasn’t exactly one of the Lloyd’s favorite people. When Rodriguez become coach Leach got a new lease on life as a program insider. Since then Leach has been front and center in defending Rodriguez while continuing to take shots at Carr.
But Leach’s campaign against Carr will do nothing to stop the Detroit Free Press’ inquisition of current Coach Rich Rodriguez.
His radio tirade only exposes a fissure between two legends of the Michigan football program.
In times like this I wonder what Bo what would say about the situation.
My guess is he’d chide Lloyd for his choice of seating at the Iowa/Michigan football game.
But it wouldn’t anything compared to the ass chewing that he’d give Leach.
- Michigan Football vs Michigan State — Looking Back — 1976 - November 13, 2019
- Podcast– Jim Harbaugh Press Conference – MSU Week, RB Chris Evans will Return Next Season and on High Alert for MSU… - November 11, 2019
- 2019 Michigan Football Podcast– Covering the Wolverines as “New Media” - November 6, 2019
- 2019 Michigan Football Podcast– Game 9 Maryland Preview, Notre Dame Wrap-up - October 30, 2019
- Podcast– Jim Harbaugh Press Conference – Maryland Week, [On Enemies] People Who Choose not to tell the Truth… - October 28, 2019
- 2019 Michigan Football Photos- Game 8 Michigan 45 Notre Dame 14 - October 27, 2019
- Podcast– Jim Harbaugh Game 8 Notre Dame Postgame Press Conference – Our guys really relish playing in this game - October 26, 2019
- 2019 Michigan Football Podcast– Game 8 Notre Dame Preview - October 23, 2019
- 2019 Michigan Football Photos- Game 7 Penn State 28 Michigan 21 - October 23, 2019
- Podcast– Jim Harbaugh Press Conference – Notre Dame Week, Make No Excuse and Continue Onward… - October 21, 2019