From the Appalachian State Athletic Web Page:
While the Appalachian State University football team garnered three NCAA Div I FCS national championships between 2005 and 2007 – and upset the University of Michigan in 2007 – Mountaineer athletics has more to brag about than just its gridiron success.
The Michigan Wolverines will attempt to avenge their 34-32 loss at the Big House in the 2007 season opener by scheduling a return visit by Appalachian State to open the 2014 season.
It makes perfect sense. Michigan fans are itching for a rematch to clean the bitter aftertaste of the last meeting between the Wolverines and the Mountaineers. Appalachian State is in line for a big payday and a chance to show the world that the 2007 game wasn’t a fluke.
But I wish it wasn’t happening- at least not in Ann Arbor.
Imagine that when Michigan AD David Brandon called down to the Boone, North Carolina his counterpart had declined a return visit to Ann Arbor but instead issued a challenge for the Wolverines a play a game at Kidd Brewer Stadium (max capacity 31, 000) .
And if Brandon had deferred I would have started leaking how the Wolverines were afraid of a rematch.
I think to back to one of the great sports movies of all time, Rocky II, when Apollo Creed wanted a second shot at the Italian Stallion- he called him out and said he would fight him “…anytime, anywhere.”
Just consider the buildup for that game.
Of course, it’s never going happen…there’s too much money at stake. No matter that the Mountaineers have earned a chance to play host after the shocking upset they delivered to the Wolverines and that Michigan would probably benefit from facing a little adversity on the road.
Wolverine fans will need to wait until the 2014 season opener to see if the Brady Hoke can exorcise the demons of 2007.
And Mountaineer fans will hope for another Sports Illustrated cover.
- 2020 Michigan Football Podcast– By the Numbers – Jim Harbaugh’s First 5 Seasons - February 24, 2020
- 2020 Michigan Football Podcast– By the Numbers – Final Citrus Bowl Thoughts - January 23, 2020
- 2020 Michigan Football Photos- Citrus Bowl Alabama 35 Michigan 16 - January 3, 2020
- Podcast– Jim Harbaugh Citrus Bowl Post Game Press Conference - January 1, 2020
- Podcast– 20 Years of Michigan Basketball Coverage - December 28, 2019
- 2019 Michigan Football Podcast– Ohio State Crushes Michigan…Again, WR Tarik Black Departs, Alabama On Deck… - December 13, 2019
- Podcast– Players Game 12 Ohio State Press Conference – Shea Patterson- From Day One It’s Been a Dream Come True to Play Football for the University of Michigan… - December 1, 2019
- 2019 Michigan Football Photos- Game 12 Ohio State 56 Michigan 27 - November 30, 2019
- Podcast– Jim Harbaugh Game 12 Ohio State Press Conference – Jim Harbaugh- I’ll Answer Your Questions But Not Your Insults… - November 30, 2019
- 2019 Michigan Football Podcast– Why Michigan Will Beat the Buckeyes- Indiana Wrap-up, Game 12 Ohio State Preview - November 27, 2019