Recently I watched the movie Invicible, which tells the true story of a Vince Papale, a 30 year old bartender who becomes an NFL player after being discovered at an open tryout. In the movie, Papale freezes and blows a play during his first NFL game against the Dallas Cowboys. As he leaves the field the head coach screams at him, “I stuck my neck out for you!”
The message was clear- it didn’t matter that Papale was a folk hero to the team’s fans, or that the coach personally liked him- if he couldn’t do his job and help the team win he wouldn’t play.
I thought about this scene in the movie as I watched QB Chad Henne and RB Mike Hart struggle against Ohio State Saturday.
It would have been a great story to have them return from injury and lead the Wolverines to victory over the Buckeyes. It would have awesome to have Lloyd’s loyalty to his seniors validated with a victory in his final game at Michigan Stadium.
But it didn’t turn out that way.
The Michigan mantra is supposed to be “The Team, The Team, The Team” but on Saturday I’m not sure if the best interests of the team were served.
- 2020 Michigan Football Podcast– Offensive Coordinator Josh Gattis Press Conference 9/23/20 - September 23, 2020
- 2020 Big Ten Football Schedule - September 19, 2020
- 2020 Michigan Football Podcast– WR Giles Jackson and LB Josh Ross 9/17/20 - September 17, 2020
- 2020 Big Ten Football Season Re-boot October 24 - September 16, 2020
- 2020 Michigan Football Podcast– RB Chris Evans and DB Brad Hawkins Press Conference 9/11/20 Podcast - September 14, 2020
- 2020 Michigan Football Podcast– DL Aidan Hutchinson and RB Ben Mason Press Conference 8/28/20 Podcast - August 28, 2020
- 2020 Michigan Football Podcast– TE Nick Eubanks and DL Carlo Kemp Press Conference-“People want to play football…” - August 19, 2020
- Statement from Coach Harbaugh Regarding Postponement of 2020 Season - August 11, 2020
- Statement from University of Michigan Head Football Coach Jim Harbaugh - August 10, 2020
- 2020 Michigan Football Podcast– B10 Schedule Break Down, Harbaugh/Day Spat, Athletic Department Budget Woes (Hey neighbor how can you complain about debt when you don’t pay for labor?) - August 9, 2020