“Have you ever had to talk to the person you love most?Two-Face (Harvey Dent)
To tell them it’s going to be all right, when you know that it’s not?”
Phil’s Game Grades
So Michigan was cruising along up 28-0 at halftime and then roof fell in…only to wake-up in the 4th quarter to make it appear like a more comfortable win then it was…
Offense- The first half looked like a Michigan clinic on running the football, but the wheels fell off until a 4th quarter surge put the game away. Another bad turnover gave Illinois life…The Wolverines are 126th in nation in lost fumbles (only one team has lost more).
Defense – The Michigan defense allowed Illinois to score 18 points between 0:55 of the 2nd quarter and 12:50 of the 4th quarter. This was the first start for redshirt freshman QB Matt Robinson.
Special Teams – The wind played havoc with the kicking game but field goals weren’t needed in this game.
Coaching – Michigan needed an easy win, they need to get backup players some reps in the 4th quarter. Instead a disappearing act in the 3rd quarter only raised more questions about the focus of this team.
Comments – The first half of the season is over. Next up is a 6 game gauntlet unlike any in recent Michigan football history. Michigan’s 5 wins are versus teams with a combined 12-14 record, the next 6 teams they play are 27-9. Those games include 3 teams who are ranked in the top 10 nationally and an instate rival who would like nothing better than to upset the Wolverines at home (again). Michigan’s offense and defense have been inconsistent from game to game and even quarter to quarter.
Each of the next 6 games will be a measuring stick for Jim Harbaugh and the Michigan Wolverines. There is nowhere to hide and nowhere to run but straight through the fire…
- 2020 Michigan Football Podcast– Decoding the Don Brown Press Conference - June 2, 2020
- 2020 Michigan Football Podcast– RB/Special Teams Coach Jay Harbaugh Press Conference - May 29, 2020
- 2020 Michigan Football Podcast– Defensive Coordinator Don Brown on the failure against Ohio State, “I don’t blame the players, you blame the old guy right here…” - May 21, 2020
- 2020 Michigan Football Podcast– Decoding the Josh Gattis Press Conference- - May 19, 2020
- 2020 Michigan Football Podcast– Offensive Coordinator Josh Gattis Press Conference- On the QB position, “There is no one out front…it’s an interesting battle.” - May 14, 2020
- 2020 Michigan Football Podcast– Jim Harbaugh Calls for Overhaul of College Football Player Eligibility - May 11, 2020
- Coronavirus Update — Do Your Part! - March 16, 2020
- 2020 Michigan Football Podcast– By the Numbers – Jim Harbaugh’s First 5 Seasons - February 24, 2020
- 2020 Michigan Football Podcast– By the Numbers – Final Citrus Bowl Thoughts - January 23, 2020
- 2020 Michigan Football Photos- Citrus Bowl Alabama 35 Michigan 16 - January 3, 2020