“We shot ourselves in the foot.”Michigan Head Coach Jim Harbaugh
Phil’s Game Grades
Michigan dodged a bullet; QB Shea Patterson was dinged-up on the play where he fumbled the on the Wolverines’ first possession. He was able to tough it out and most importantly wasn’t seriously injured.
Offense- It was tough to watch, but statistically the Wolverines were dominant with 453 yards of offense. The Josh Gattis era of play calling included some formations with both Shea Patterson and Dylan McCaffrey on the field at the same time with mixed results. The best part of the game was seeing RB Zach Charbonnet gain 99 total yards (90 on the ground/9 on receptions).
Defense – Lot of new guys getting reps with the defense reloading after missing big contributors from last season. It was great to see Ambry Thomas be such a huge contributor after there were doubts whether he’d be ready to play.
Special Teams – Not a lot to say here, more to come as the competition gets tougher and the pressure amps up.
Coaching – Lots of bugs still to work out on offense and the defense needs to firm up, but no major considering that this was a season opener; glad this wasn’t a major opponent.
Comments – Fans will gripe but Michigan did what they needed to do in this one.
- Podcast– Jim Harbaugh Press Conference – Rutgers Week - September 23, 2019
- 2019 Michigan Football Podcast– Game 4 Rutgers Preview - September 22, 2019
- Michigan Football Game 3 – Game Grades – Wisconsin 35 Michigan 14 - September 21, 2019
- Podcast– Jim Harbaugh Game 3 Postgame Press Conference – We were outplayed, outprepared, outcoached - September 21, 2019
- 2019 Michigan Football Podcast– Game 3 Wisconsin Preview - September 18, 2019
- Podcast– Special Guest Adam Schnepp – How Good is Michigan Heading into Big Ten Play? - September 17, 2019
- Podcast– Jim Harbaugh Press Conference – Wisconsin Week - September 16, 2019
- Book Review – Overtime: Jim Harbaugh and the Michigan Wolverines at the Crossroads of College Football - September 14, 2019
- Michigan Football Game 2 – Game Grades – Michigan 24 Army 21 2OT. - September 7, 2019
- Podcast– Jim Harbaugh Game 2 Postgame Press Conference – We got to get the well-oiled machine going… - September 7, 2019