“We shot ourselves in the foot.”Michigan Head Coach Jim Harbaugh
Phil’s Game Grades
Michigan dodged a bullet; QB Shea Patterson was dinged-up on the play where he fumbled the on the Wolverines’ first possession. He was able to tough it out and most importantly wasn’t seriously injured.
Offense- It was tough to watch, but statistically the Wolverines were dominant with 453 yards of offense. The Josh Gattis era of play calling included some formations with both Shea Patterson and Dylan McCaffrey on the field at the same time with mixed results. The best part of the game was seeing RB Zach Charbonnet gain 99 total yards (90 on the ground/9 on receptions).
Defense – Lot of new guys getting reps with the defense reloading after missing big contributors from last season. It was great to see Ambry Thomas be such a huge contributor after there were doubts whether he’d be ready to play.
Special Teams – Not a lot to say here, more to come as the competition gets tougher and the pressure amps up.
Coaching – Lots of bugs still to work out on offense and the defense needs to firm up, but no major considering that this was a season opener; glad this wasn’t a major opponent.
Comments – Fans will gripe but Michigan did what they needed to do in this one.
- 2020 Michigan Football Podcast– Defensive Coordinator Don Brown on the failure against Ohio State, “I don’t blame the players, you blame the old guy right here…” - May 21, 2020
- 2020 Michigan Football Podcast– Decoding the Josh Gattis Press Conference- - May 19, 2020
- 2020 Michigan Football Podcast– Offensive Coordinator Josh Gattis Press Conference- On the QB position, “There is no one out front…it’s an interesting battle.” - May 14, 2020
- 2020 Michigan Football Podcast– Jim Harbaugh Calls for Overhaul of College Football Player Eligibility - May 11, 2020
- Coronavirus Update — Do Your Part! - March 16, 2020
- 2020 Michigan Football Podcast– By the Numbers – Jim Harbaugh’s First 5 Seasons - February 24, 2020
- 2020 Michigan Football Podcast– By the Numbers – Final Citrus Bowl Thoughts - January 23, 2020
- 2020 Michigan Football Photos- Citrus Bowl Alabama 35 Michigan 16 - January 3, 2020
- Podcast– Jim Harbaugh Citrus Bowl Post Game Press Conference - January 1, 2020
- Podcast– 20 Years of Michigan Basketball Coverage - December 28, 2019