TO THE MEN AND WOMEN OF THE UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY
In 1945 Michigan Stadium was dedicated to all Wolverines who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country. The bronze eagle memorial is a reminder that the freedoms that we take for granted have come with a steep price.
Today we take time to remember those who have died serving their country. We remember the 5000 people who died in the Revolutionary war, the 600,000 who died during the Civil War, the 50,000 who died in World War I, and the 200,000 who died in World War II, and everyone else who died in the service of their country. With our soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan those numbers continue to grow every day.
The stark reality is that US combat deaths are equal to an entire season attendance of a Michigan football. Not to mention the countless others who died during “peacetime” and countless seriously injured in service to their country.
So the next time you go to Michigan Stadium take some time to visit the memorial. When you’re sitting in your seat look around at the 100,000 people watching the game and consider how many Americans have given their lives to protect your way of life.
Despite all of the comparisons that we make between football and battle in reality football is just a game. Everyone comes home from a Michigan football game no matter what the outcome.
The same can’t be said for those who have defended our country in its time of need.
- Podcast– Players Game 12 Ohio State Press Conference – Shea Patterson- From Day One It’s Been a Dream Come True to Play Football for the University of Michigan… - December 1, 2019
- 2019 Michigan Football Photos- Game 12 Ohio State 56 Michigan 27 - November 30, 2019
- Podcast– Jim Harbaugh Game 12 Ohio State Press Conference – Jim Harbaugh- I’ll Answer Your Questions But Not Your Insults… - November 30, 2019
- 2019 Michigan Football Podcast– Why Michigan Will Beat the Buckeyes- Indiana Wrap-up, Game 12 Ohio State Preview - November 27, 2019
- Podcast– Jim Harbaugh Press Conference – Ohio State Week, Ohio State Wants to Know if There will be Potato Salad on Game Day… - November 25, 2019
- 2019 Michigan Football Photos- Game 11 Michigan 39 Indiana 14 - November 24, 2019
- Podcast– Jim Harbaugh Game 11 Indiana Postgame Press Conference – Jim Harbaugh- We’re Riding Shea Patterson - November 24, 2019
- 2019 Michigan Football Podcast– MSU Wrap-up, Game 11 Indiana Preview - November 21, 2019
- Podcast– Jim Harbaugh Press Conference – Indiana Week, You Can’t Plant Potatoes One Day and Expect Potato Salad the Next Day… - November 18, 2019
- 2019 Michigan Football Photos- Game 10 Michigan 44 michigan state 10 - November 16, 2019