I read the Daily, I just don’t recall being impressed.
While the roster of national journalist who cut their teeth at the Daily is long and distinguished, I wondered how an entire book of columns from student journalists would hold up.
My concerns were unfounded. This is one of my favorite books about Michigan football.
From the very first excerpt covering the 1890 match of Michigan vs Albion, the text crackles with accounts from Daily reporters.
I’ve read just about every book on Michigan football available and it’s clear that the Daily articles were the primary source materials for many of them.
The book is chock full of interesting details from the history of Michigan football. Like a 1934 article that details the cost of each football player’s uniform- $73.65 (key items: shoes $12.50, shoulder pads $12, and helmets $10.50).
Or a 1946 student letter complaining about the shady practice of vendors requiring students to buy a hot dog for 15 cents (!!) in order to get a warm soda- only to have the vendor circle back a little later and offer ice for 10 cents to cool the drinks.
Readers may be shocked to learn in a 1982 column that Bo Schembechler turned down a long term contract with Texas A&M worth millions while making $60,036 at Michigan.
The book covers every season through the most recent Sugar Bowl victory, with sections highlighting notable Michigan Wolverine players and coaches.
It is an outstanding addition to the library of any Michigan Wolverine fan!
Attached is a special excerpt covering the 1998 Rose Bowl.
- Podcast– Special Guest Adam Schnepp – How Good is Michigan Heading into Big Ten Play? - September 17, 2019
- Podcast– Jim Harbaugh Press Conference – Wisconsin Week - September 16, 2019
- Book Review – Overtime: Jim Harbaugh and the Michigan Wolverines at the Crossroads of College Football - September 14, 2019
- Michigan Football Game 2 – Game Grades – Michigan 24 Army 21 2OT. - September 7, 2019
- Podcast– Jim Harbaugh Game 2 Postgame Press Conference – We got to get the well-oiled machine going… - September 7, 2019
- 2019 Michigan Football Photos- Game 2 Michigan 24 Army 21 2OT - September 7, 2019
- 2019 Michigan Football Podcast– Game 1 Review, Army Preview - September 3, 2019
- Podcast– Jim Harbaugh Week 2 – When We are Playing Really Good is that Good Enough to Beat the Teams on our Schedule? - September 2, 2019
- Michigan Football Game 1 – Game Grades – Michigan 40 Middle Tennessee State 21 - September 1, 2019
- 2019 Michigan Football Photos- Game 1 Michigan 40 Middle Tennessee State 21 - September 1, 2019