As a new year begins there are some things that are best left in the past.
1. NCAA violations
Seriously, enough of this crap. It’s bad enough that the NCAA is taking forever to investigate the first batch of allegations made by the Detroit Free Press. Let’s hope that 2010 is scandal free.
2. Teams we’re never heard of
Delaware State? You know things are bad when a program’s band gets more press than the football team. Unfortunately this one is already shot since Massachusetts and Connecticut are on this season’s schedule. We’ll have to roll this over for 2011.
3. Home for the holidays
OK, all the people who thought that it was just horrible that the football team would usually leave before Christmas for their bowl destination have been appeased. Athletic department staff who haven’t spent Christmas and New Year’s Day with their in-laws for decades have made appearances two years in row now. It’s time to get the football team, athletic department staff, and alumni traveling again.
4. Big Ten Expansion
Expansion rears its ugly head again. Move the season back if you must but ditch the idea of the league championship game. Multiple divisions with some games against league teams counting and others not are stupid. Rather than follow in the moronic footsteps of lesser conferences do something innovative to highlight more of the league’s top teams rather than just the top two. Imagine a Big Ten/Big East challenge after the Big Ten season is over that matches the top the 5 seeds of each conference in neutral sites like Chicago, Detroit, New York, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh. The other conferences would be drooling to have that kind of exposure.
5. Tate Forcier’s unflappable confidence
I love that Tate Forcier has great confidence. However I an tired of hearing how losses don’t bother him. Tate, seriously, they should bother you. Not crush you- but they should motivate you to work harder. The robotic quotes seem a little odd. Show some fire…
6. Potshots from the Michigan “family”
There a lot of people within the Michigan family who are both for and against Coach Rich Rodriguez. Unfortunately some of those who support Coach Rodriguez have taken shots at the previous regime. Coach Rodriguez is responsible for the Michigan football team from here out. There is no way he would allow a current player to blame his current poor performance on the starter from two season ago. We need to hold Coach Rodriguez to the same standard.
7. Being swept by the “states”
The later part of Lloyd’s tenure as head coach Michigan certainly struggled with Ohio State. But he absolutely owned Penn State and Michigan State. It’s time for Rich Rodriguez to start new winning streaks against all of the “states.”
8. Whining that the cupboard was bare
On the day that Coach Rodriguez took over the cupboard was hardly bare. The first job of a new coach is to re-recruit players currently in the program. For whatever reason many players decided to leave either by declaring for the NFL draft or transferring. I have no problem with players leaving and Coach Rodriguez wanting to have his own type of players on the team. But he had active role in creating the current roster. For him to imply that the talent wasn’t here when he took over is disingenuous.
9. Piped in music for every game
Eminem’s “Lose Yourself’ being played against Ohio State or Notre Dame is cool. When it’s played against the likes of Delaware State or Eastern Michigan it’s a joke.
10. Michigan Stadium being taken over by opposing fans
The best way to do this is for the team to start putting the smack down on the field. Opposing fans hate showing up and seeing their team get whooped on the field. This doesn’t mean for Michigan fans to treating opposing rudely. Save that idiotic behavior for other schools. Cheer loudly and let the team take care putting the smack down.
- 2020 Michigan Football Podcast– By the Numbers – Final Citrus Bowl Thoughts - January 23, 2020
- 2020 Michigan Football Photos- Citrus Bowl Alabama 35 Michigan 16 - January 3, 2020
- Podcast– Jim Harbaugh Citrus Bowl Post Game Press Conference - January 1, 2020
- Podcast– 20 Years of Michigan Basketball Coverage - December 28, 2019
- 2019 Michigan Football Podcast– Ohio State Crushes Michigan…Again, WR Tarik Black Departs, Alabama On Deck… - December 13, 2019
- Podcast– Players Game 12 Ohio State Press Conference – Shea Patterson- From Day One It’s Been a Dream Come True to Play Football for the University of Michigan… - December 1, 2019
- 2019 Michigan Football Photos- Game 12 Ohio State 56 Michigan 27 - November 30, 2019
- Podcast– Jim Harbaugh Game 12 Ohio State Press Conference – Jim Harbaugh- I’ll Answer Your Questions But Not Your Insults… - November 30, 2019
- 2019 Michigan Football Podcast– Why Michigan Will Beat the Buckeyes- Indiana Wrap-up, Game 12 Ohio State Preview - November 27, 2019
- Podcast– Jim Harbaugh Press Conference – Ohio State Week, Ohio State Wants to Know if There will be Potato Salad on Game Day… - November 25, 2019