As a new year begins there are some things that are best left in the past.
1. NCAA violations
Seriously, enough of this crap. It’s bad enough that the NCAA is taking forever to investigate the first batch of allegations made by the Detroit Free Press. Let’s hope that 2010 is scandal free.
2. Teams we’re never heard of
Delaware State? You know things are bad when a program’s band gets more press than the football team. Unfortunately this one is already shot since Massachusetts and Connecticut are on this season’s schedule. We’ll have to roll this over for 2011.
3. Home for the holidays
OK, all the people who thought that it was just horrible that the football team would usually leave before Christmas for their bowl destination have been appeased. Athletic department staff who haven’t spent Christmas and New Year’s Day with their in-laws for decades have made appearances two years in row now. It’s time to get the football team, athletic department staff, and alumni traveling again.
4. Big Ten Expansion
Expansion rears its ugly head again. Move the season back if you must but ditch the idea of the league championship game. Multiple divisions with some games against league teams counting and others not are stupid. Rather than follow in the moronic footsteps of lesser conferences do something innovative to highlight more of the league’s top teams rather than just the top two. Imagine a Big Ten/Big East challenge after the Big Ten season is over that matches the top the 5 seeds of each conference in neutral sites like Chicago, Detroit, New York, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh. The other conferences would be drooling to have that kind of exposure.
5. Tate Forcier’s unflappable confidence
I love that Tate Forcier has great confidence. However I an tired of hearing how losses don’t bother him. Tate, seriously, they should bother you. Not crush you- but they should motivate you to work harder. The robotic quotes seem a little odd. Show some fire…
6. Potshots from the Michigan “family”
There a lot of people within the Michigan family who are both for and against Coach Rich Rodriguez. Unfortunately some of those who support Coach Rodriguez have taken shots at the previous regime. Coach Rodriguez is responsible for the Michigan football team from here out. There is no way he would allow a current player to blame his current poor performance on the starter from two season ago. We need to hold Coach Rodriguez to the same standard.
7. Being swept by the “states”
The later part of Lloyd’s tenure as head coach Michigan certainly struggled with Ohio State. But he absolutely owned Penn State and Michigan State. It’s time for Rich Rodriguez to start new winning streaks against all of the “states.”
8. Whining that the cupboard was bare
On the day that Coach Rodriguez took over the cupboard was hardly bare. The first job of a new coach is to re-recruit players currently in the program. For whatever reason many players decided to leave either by declaring for the NFL draft or transferring. I have no problem with players leaving and Coach Rodriguez wanting to have his own type of players on the team. But he had active role in creating the current roster. For him to imply that the talent wasn’t here when he took over is disingenuous.
9. Piped in music for every game
Eminem’s “Lose Yourself’ being played against Ohio State or Notre Dame is cool. When it’s played against the likes of Delaware State or Eastern Michigan it’s a joke.
10. Michigan Stadium being taken over by opposing fans
The best way to do this is for the team to start putting the smack down on the field. Opposing fans hate showing up and seeing their team get whooped on the field. This doesn’t mean for Michigan fans to treating opposing rudely. Save that idiotic behavior for other schools. Cheer loudly and let the team take care putting the smack down.
- Podcast– Jim Harbaugh Press Conference – Rutgers Week - September 23, 2019
- 2019 Michigan Football Podcast– Game 4 Rutgers Preview - September 22, 2019
- Michigan Football Game 3 – Game Grades – Wisconsin 35 Michigan 14 - September 21, 2019
- Podcast– Jim Harbaugh Game 3 Postgame Press Conference – We were outplayed, outprepared, outcoached - September 21, 2019
- 2019 Michigan Football Podcast– Game 3 Wisconsin Preview - September 18, 2019
- Podcast– Special Guest Adam Schnepp – How Good is Michigan Heading into Big Ten Play? - September 17, 2019
- Podcast– Jim Harbaugh Press Conference – Wisconsin Week - September 16, 2019
- Book Review – Overtime: Jim Harbaugh and the Michigan Wolverines at the Crossroads of College Football - September 14, 2019
- Michigan Football Game 2 – Game Grades – Michigan 24 Army 21 2OT. - September 7, 2019
- Podcast– Jim Harbaugh Game 2 Postgame Press Conference – We got to get the well-oiled machine going… - September 7, 2019