UMGOBLUE.COM

Call for Action: UM Should Mandate Vaccination Status for All Athletic Events

My name is Scott Childers; I’m a husband and father of two, an internal medicine physician in the division of Hospital Medicine at the University of Michigan, I also happen to be a lifelong Michigan fan, and season ticket holder in both basketball and football. I am writing this letter to urge the University of Michigan and the University of Michigan Athletic Department to move forward with mandating vaccinated status for attendance at all University of Michigan athletic events; including football games at Michigan Stadium this fall.

https://umgoblue.com/2021/08/call-for-action-um-should-mandate-vax-status-for-all-athletic-events/

Tagged:

Comments

• I agree with this 100%!!! If you are too ignorant to understand the importance of being vaccinated to end this effing pandemic, then you shouldn't be allowed to attend major sporting events/concerts/etc.

I'm HOPEFULLY going to see Dead and Company a week from today and they are requiring proof of being fully vaccinated or a recent negative COVID test to be admitted and I am all for it!!!

• Unvaccinated individuals that have had COVID 19 and recovered have antibodies that protect them naturally and more effectively than the vaccine. Why would these people get a vaccine for a virus they've already beaten? Additionally, this protection should be even more effective against any weakened variant as well.

Go Blue!!

• Wow, good to see Scott became a doctor & is working for UM.

• With that said, I am vaccinated and I work in the hospitals and my wife is vaccinated and my two older children are vaccinated too.

Go Blue!!

• Everything I have read from the CDC says that the vaccines give more protection than natural infection.

With that said, I’m selling my entire season tickets this year. With having a 14 month old who is unable to get a vaccine yet it’s just not worth the risk to me this year. Hopefully I’ll be back in the Big House next year.

• Don't the antibodies leave your system after about 4 months??? You're not immune from COVID just because you were infected with it?!?! Phizer's vaccine is now FDA approved and yet you still have morons in this country taking cow worm medicine instead of getting the vaccine?!?! What a country we live in?!?!

• I believe--although who the hell knows for sure--that you don't necessarily need the antibodies to successfully fight the virus. You have A cells and B cells. One of the two contains memory of how they successfully fought the virus in the past, so they have a head start on fighting any re-infection. I believe the mRNA vaccines work the same way.

***I have a degree in Economics and I work in IT, so don't listen to me.

• How is this vaccine any different than the flu vaccine that millions of Americans each year decline to get? Do we deny access to businesses, restaurants, sporting venues if they don't get the flu vaccine? Some get sick with the flu then get better or die, just like COVID some get sick then get better or die. Where is the original "My Body, My Choice" crowd screaming at the top of their lungs that the government shouldn't dictate what they should or should not do with their bodies? Why are we forcing a vaccine on any population when experts admit it won't necessarily stop you from getting the virus nor will it stop you from spreading the virus all it may do is lessen the effects if you get the virus and may keep you from dying from it. Most Americans, presumably, have already been exposed and didn't die and only had minor symptoms or none at all. Why the uproar to "force" a free people into getting this particular vaccine? Ultimately it should be a personal choice to get the vaccine or not and we as Americans need to get back to normal. No mask mandates, no vaccine mandates and everyone should drive forward in their quest for Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. FTR, I am not pro-vax or anti-vax but I am all for the freedom of choice for each citizen of the United States of America to get the vaccine or not, to wear a mask or not, to stay in their mom's basement playing video games or be a productive citizen, etc, etc, etc.....oh and I slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

• @zjgm02 said:
    I believe--although who the hell knows for sure--that you don't necessarily need the antibodies to successfully fight the virus. You have A cells and B cells. One of the two contains memory of how they successfully fought the virus in the past, so they have a head start on fighting any re-infection. I believe the mRNA vaccines work the same way.

***I have a degree in Economics and I work in IT, so don't listen to me.

But you did stay at a Holiday Inn last night right? ;)

• MGoBrew
    edited August 26

@Edub4Blue said:
    Where is the original "My Body, My Choice" crowd screaming at the top of their lungs that the government shouldn't dictate what they should or should not do with their bodies?

You're seriously comparing having the choice of abortion to getting a shot in your arm??? The hypocrisy of the anti vaxers who are mostly pro lifers as well to take up this slogan is beyond me?!?!

Not to mention you're comparing of COVID to getting the flu?!?! Did you not get vaccines for your children when they were young???? Vaccines for things like smallpox, polio, diphtheria, measles, rubella, and mumps have helped make widespread epidemics feel like a distant memory. But these childhood diseases will only remain in control if most children are vaccinated. And the same can be said of this current pandemic. Until people wake up and just get a damn shot from a vaccine that has now been FDA Approved, we will continue to see people die and this pandemic will go on...

• If someone isn't vaccinated by now and after all we know, they're an idiot. But hey, their choice. Just as it's a business owner's choice not to let you into their establishment, or the Michigan's choice not to let you into the Big House, or your employer's choice to not allow you to work, and on and on. But don't come looking for an ambulance or an emergency room when you get sick. Stay home and try and beat the "flu" on your own and quit clogging up our hospitals with stupidity-turned-regret.

• “But don't come looking for an ambulance or an emergency room when you get sick. Stay home and try and beat the "flu" on your own and quit clogging up our hospitals with stupidity-turned-regret.”

Wow could not have said that any better.

• zjgm02
    edited August 31

Just keep in mind with that kinda talk that not everyone who isn't vaccinated is in that boat out of choice. There was a study recently that a significant portion can't afford to take the time off work to get the shot(s), or a day or two to deal with the side effects.

There are others who've been fvcked over by our for-profit healthcare system, so they don't believe it will be free. And if it is, what happens if they have severe side effects and need medical attention without insurance? Anecdotally, a friend of mine contracted an early case in March of 2020 and nearly died. He got bills for months afterward for treament that was supposed to be free.

This is not an Us vs. Them battle and we're never going to get past the nonsense if we'll continue to see those who disagree with us as the other. The question is "why do they disagree?"

Those beating their chests about not getting vaccinated are likely in the minority. There is probably a solid 20% who are never going to get it, but that leaves 80% and not all of them have been vaccinated. There is a permanent underclass in this country who were long ago left out in the cold by the very government who is now telling them everything thing is fine with the vaccines and to trust them.

• Then there is the idiot Bryson Brooksie DeChambeau who stated that he did not get vaccinated cause he is healthy and was letting other people get the vaccinations who needs it more than him.

• @zjgm02 said:

This is not an Us vs. Them battle and we're never going to get past the nonsense if we'll continue to see those who disagree with us as the other. The question is "why do they disagree?"

Those beating their chests about not getting vaccinated are likely in the minority. There is probably a solid 20% who are never going to get it, but that leaves 80% and not all of them have been vaccinated. There is a permanent underclass in this country who were long ago left out in the cold by the very government who is now telling them everything thing is fine with the vaccines and to trust them.

The thing is, it kind of is an us vs. them thing. When the vast majority of ICU beds are being taken by anti vaxers and there are no ICU beds for people that truly need them, it becomes an us vs them thing to me!!!

• Are you sure ICU beds are being taken up by anti-vaxxers, or are some of them just unvaccinated? My point is there's a difference.

• @zjgm02 said:
    Are you sure ICU beds are being taken up by anti-vaxxers, or are some of them just unvaccinated? My point is there's a difference.

Look, I get that there are some circumstances where people can't get vaccinated. My mother in law has medical reasons that she can't get vaxed. But I don't buy your statement that a "significant portion" of unvaccinated people in this country are unvaccinated because they don't have time to get the shot. It literally takes less than 30 minutes of your time. It's not like there are long lines to get the vaccine like there were when I got it back in February. To me that is a pretty lame excuse for not getting vaccinated...

IMO, the prevailing reason that the vast majority of people in this country have chosen not to be vaccinated is purely politically based bullshit!!!

• @MGoBrew said:

IMO, the prevailing reason that the vast majority of people in this country have chosen not to be vaccinated is purely politically based bullshit!!!

Because that is the message from the media you choose to consume. It doesn't mean it's correct.

Here's a link to an ongoing Kaiser Family Foundation study of those who are and aren't vaccinated.

There's a whole lotta grey area beyond Us vs Them. Not everyone lives in a city where the vaccines are readily available and you failed to acknowledge how worried some folks are about potential side effects, now and way down the road. Yes, there are plenty of anti-science folks who are unvaccinated, but the future VP said last year she would be hesitant to get the "Trump vaccine". Also, when some people suggested delaying the Democratic primary in Wisconsin in early spring of 2020, the same people who are now telling you to trust the science were full steam ahead on people voting in person, so let's not pretend they are acting in good faith.

CV has been the absolute perfect storm for a country w/ a giant uninsured underclass, with media and government owned by special interests, and we're dealing with that grim reality right now.

• Like you said it depends upon the media you choose to consume. LOL

• Politicians are lying about everything and have from day one. But nobody cares, they just expect people to obey. Are the vaccines working in the way they promised they would? It’s not an argument against vaccines. It's an argument in favor of transparency and knowing what the data actually says before you obey. Vaccines are not immunizations. You will not be immune, only temporarily relieved of symptoms and hopefully you don’t end up in the ICU on a ventilator.

Everyone will eventually have exposure to Covid or a variant, regardless of the vaccine. The survival rate is extremely high. Yet, we've shut down the world over it and have impoverished hundreds of millions, globally. It's all very sad, and very unnecessary.

The moment both political parties realized they could use Covid to further their ends it ceased being about a virus and made it all more dangerous for us all. We were forced to listen to a politicized doctor instead of the collective findings of the medical community at large. When this went beyond "two weeks to flatten the curve" and "two weeks to slow the spread" we lost our country as we knew it.

Go Blue!!

• @ScottsdaleBlue said:
    Vaccines are not immunizations. You will not be immune, only temporarily relieved of symptoms and hopefully you don’t end up in the ICU on a ventilator.

Go Blue!!

Exhibit A, of many… Cubs skipper David Ross and Cubs GM Jed Hoyer, both tested positive for Covid today. Both are vaccinated. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Go Blue!!

• Whatever it is, I don’t want it. And who knows what the long haul effects are, whether people are vaccinated and still getting sick or showing no symptoms at all. I have an engineer in my office who has been out for 3 mos with brain fog and tremors in his hands. Otherwise, totally healthy. So I got vaccinated, I wear a mask when I have to, and I avoid stupid situations. Other than that, gotta live your life.

• BlackSheep
    edited September 4

So my question is, why am I the enemy or called ignorant if I choose not to get it? Isn’t that my choice and right? I have had covid and it was no different than having the flu. The stats from the CDC also tell me that there is a 98.2% chance of surviving this virus if contracted. And that stat is without the vaccine.

Why can’t we just let people live their lives? If you want to mask up, go for it. If you want the vaccine, get it. Your choice. But it does not make me the enemy or ignorant if I don’t want it.

I eat healthy. Exercise. Take plenty of supplements. Wash my hands and mask up where necessary. If I feel sick, I stay home.

Seems to me we are losing our ability to act like decent human beings if we are villainizing those who prefer not to get the injection.

Heck, more parents today are not vaxxing their kids than ever. Why? Because there is something unsettling within them. So I say, let them be. Let’s just live our lives and try to all get along…..you know…..the way adults should

• And that is the problem comparing the flu to COVID. Sometimes you just have to realize that people just does not get it. My only hope is that my family and myself do not get close to them.

• Yes, it’s a “choice. “ But when your choice endangers other people’s lives it’s not hard to understand why people would consider you the “enemy.” This is not a me or you virus. It’s an US illness. In the end it won’t matter. Insurance companies are already raising the rates on the unvaccinated, you won’t be able to fly or get into a stadium without a vaccination card and on and on. The fact that it took me a half hour to get a couple of shots on my lunch hour, I figured what the hell?

• The problem I have with unvaccinated people is how the majority of ICU patients clogging up our hospitals are unvaccinated patients. A family friend of my had an aunt who passed away of a heart attack over the weekend because she could not be life flighted to one of the larger trauma centers in Columbus or Cleveland because they were at capacity with a majority of unvaccinated patients. You may not think the numbers are that great for this virus to kill you, but the reality is, your numbers drop drastically if you are vaccinated and then throw in the fact that unvaccinated patients are now taking up ICU beds of patients who really do need them! Is that fair???

• Could someone explain under what authority can Biden order mid and large size companies to mandate vaccinations?

A lot of companies are going to lose good employees, which is going to cause an absolute mess ... because not everyone is willing to roll over and get this vaccine. Not even to keep their job.

Mandating experimental Healthcare on those who do not want it and offering no provision for those who acquired natural immunity is an egregious abuse of power. Companies who don't want to do this will be fined if they don't? This is totalitarianism. If it follows the federal government pattern, in another month, companies over 100 won't be able to offer weekly testing as an option. It will become mandatory. With COVID numbers higher now than last year without the vaccine, no wonder people question the vaccine and the government reporting.

Go Blue!!

• Yep taking that vaccine is just a terrible thing to do. LOL

• @umgoblue14 said:
    Yep taking that vaccine is just a terrible thing to do. LOL

Millions and millions and millions of people in the United States, and across the world feel differently. Doesn’t make them wrong and you right (or vice versa), it just means things are not black and white.

Go Blue!!

This discussion has been closed.