UMGOBLUE.COM

Would you be okay with....

....Harbaugh getting an extension, relieving Gattis and Brown and other select coaches from their duties, resetting the program and going from there?

Go Blue!!

Comments

• If you are going to keep Jim then you need to let Jim be Jim. 

That means you let him go apocalyptic on the sidelines after a loss. It means you let him make statements at a post game press conference about officiating (I’m bitterly disappointed about that spot). It means you let him push the rules again like he did with the camps. 

It also means you let him run his offense his way. West coast offense. I’d be fine with this if he is the ones calling the plays. 

The Jim we have had the past 2 years isn’t the Jim that arrived here. It’s like a neutered version. If Jim can find that fire again (and he’s allowed to be himself) we would be better. 
  • Yes...because he didn't forget how to coach, and who are you bringing in that will be better? Different does not equal better. I still think someone in JH's orbit is terminally iIl, or something else in his personal life is falling apart. This team may not be his best, but it isn't THIS bad. The collapse is inexplicable, so there has to be something going on inside the program that we don't know about.

Axe Don Brown the day after the tOSU game, hire Will Muschamp to be DC, and recruit the south, hoping he'll spend a couple years in AA re-building his reputation and, like Alabama, turn that DC job into a pipeline for Power 5 head coaching jobs. Kinda like how DJ Durkin was hired by Maryland. No one is ever hiring Brown to be the HC in the Power 5. 

Keep Ed Warriner for sure, fire Gattis and try to hire a current Power 5 OC to lead the Offense AND coach the QBs--like Phil Lingo from UNC, Joe Moorhead from Oregon, Andy Ludwig from Utah, Eddie Gran from UK, etc.
  • I'm sure you could lure Les Miles to AA for an army cot and two cases of steaks.
  • There isn't a top tier coach anywhere that would come to Michigan so you're looking at taking a flyer on an unproven and/or flavor-of-the month coordinator or a MAC-level HC.  Will they be better than Harbaugh?  Who knows? But at this point in the game, Michigan had better be as close to damn sure as they can get.  Both Gattis and Brown were unknowns to Harbaugh, and while Brown appeared to be a genius hire the first 3 years, it's obvious he is incapable of adapting. Sooo....out they both go (Gattis never came close to working out at all so that's an easy one.)  Player development is a HUGE issue as is Harbaugh harping on the fact that what's happening in practice is not carrying over to Sat.  Now why is that? I'm with most who say Harbaugh didn't suddenly forget how to coach so there's definitely something going on behind the scenes.  Where the hell is Johnny U. Bacon? Time for a new book.
  • zjgm02 said:
    Yes...because he didn't forget how to coach, and who are you bringing in that will be better? Different does not equal better. I still think someone in JH's orbit is terminally iIl, or something else in his personal life is falling apart. This team may not be his best, but it isn't THIS bad. The collapse is inexplicable, so there has to be something going on inside the program that we don't know about.
    There is something substantially different in Jim Harbaugh's manner from when he came in and now.
    I have no idea what what it is, but there seems to be some kind of distraction. Maybe he's realized that he's failing or perhaps there is some kind of off-the-field issue. 
    He used to talk about his family more...his life off the field, living in Ann Arbor, etc.
    He used to spar with the NCAA, and talk about the bigger topics than just football.
    In short,  he was lot more interesting. 
  • There are so many different ways to look at this. 2020 and Covid have wrecked havoc on Michigan and tons of programs and athletics throughout the country so does that give this team a pass?

Should the university have allowed Harbaugh to be the only coach in the country without an extension?

Did Harbaugh all of a sudden forget how to coach? Sure, his demeanor and his passion has been nonexistent on game days (along with the players) but did he forget how to coach and the players forget how to play?

Don Browne and Josh Gattis have been a trainwreck the past two seasons so no matter what, they both must not be here in 2021.

The consensus amongst many seems to be Michigan and Harbaugh will mutually part ways at the end of the season. Which, leaves the recruiting class and the future of this program in turmoil.

I am of the opinion that Jim is extremely entrenched in Ann Arbor and the Michigan program so if he truly wants to make this right, he should be given that opportunity and the university should give him an extension and allow him to be himself and hire new coaches and go for it.

if Jim wants to cut bait and go into the NFL or do something different, that’s fine too because I do not think the University will fire him.

Go Blue!!
  • You said the biggest thing Scottsdale, if you keep him you have to let Jim be Jim. 
  • didn't even see this post earlier. sorry.
    but yeah everything I said in the other one stands. Give him a 2-year extension with a low (sub 5 million buyout) and give him one more year. we have JJ coming in who can start as a freshman, we have a year for these kids to weight up and get better and then next year will not have the youngest team in the big 10 with half practice from covid.

and Don Brown retirement package. go out and hire a rising star DC and pay him 1.5 million with 3 years guaranteed money to get him to come here. and then go from there.
  • Fine, keep JH but fire Schlissel, Manuel, Gattis and most definitely Brown.  
  • zjgm02 said:
    Yes...because he didn't forget how to coach, and who are you bringing in that will be better? Different does not equal better. I still think someone in JH's orbit is terminally iIl, or something else in his personal life is falling apart. This team may not be his best, but it isn't THIS bad. The collapse is inexplicable, so there has to be something going on inside the program that we don't know about.

Axe Don Brown the day after the tOSU game, hire Will Muschamp to be DC, and recruit the south, hoping he'll spend a couple years in AA re-building his reputation and, like Alabama, turn that DC job into a pipeline for Power 5 head coaching jobs. Kinda like how DJ Durkin was hired by Maryland. No one is ever hiring Brown to be the HC in the Power 5. 

Keep Ed Warriner for sure, fire Gattis and try to hire a current Power 5 OC to lead the Offense AND coach the QBs--like Phil Lingo from UNC, Joe Moorhead from Oregon, Andy Ludwig from Utah, Eddie Gran from UK, etc.
    Gran is available now. UK parted ways with him and QB coach Darin Hinshaw.

Go Blue!!
  • ScottsdaleBlue said:
    Gran is available now. UK parted ways with him and QB coach Darin Hinshaw.

Go Blue!!
    That's cool. I swear I remember reading he also coached QBs, but it was RBs, who I suppose could also use some help in AA.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file