Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UMGOBLUE.COM

WEEK 7: MICHIGAN (#16) @ Penn St. (#7) 7:30 PM EST on ABC - WHITEOUT

Is Michigan as bad as they have shown all year?

Is Penn State as good as they have done all year?

Or, are we somewhere in the middle and this could be a great game?

Michigan has shown flashes but they’ve been sloppy and inconsistent and have not been able to put together a game against the quality opponent.

On the other hand, Penn State has kicked the shit out of inferior opponents and had to battle against quality teams.

So, is Michigan a quality team that will battle Penn State or are they an inferior team that will get the shit kicked out of them?

Go Blue!!

Comments

• I honestly don't know what to expect from this team this weekend???  Teams with top defenses have shown they can shut down PSU.  Will our defense be able to come out and shut down PSU like they did with Iowa???  As has been mentioned in other threads, I'm concerned over the mental fortitude of this team.  When things start to go bad, they snowball and there doesn't seem to be any way of stopping that snowball?!?!  Yes, they were able to right the ship at Illinois when things went off the rails and they allowed the Illini to score 25 straight points, but PSU ain't Illinois.  I'm fearful of another Wisky game happening personally.

One thing I'm interested in is how much, if anything, has this coaching staff learned from their ass kicking at Wisconsin?  Will we see any changes or can we expect the same old ass kicking when we face a ranked opponent on the road???
  • Like most, I suspect we’ll see that Michigan team that struggles on the road in big games, but I’m holding out hope for a great game.

Questions I have:

If Penn State is able to have success early on offense, and goes up tempo, will DB be able to make the adjustments to keep this from becoming a repeat of 2017?

Will Michigan’s D be able to shutdown the run and keep Clifford from hurting them with his feet?  

Can Michigan’s O-line rise to the challenge and keep Patterson clean against a talented PSU D-line?

Can Patterson manage the game effectively enough to pull out the upset?

With everything on the line, can this Michigan team finally rise up for the big challenge on the road?

All signs in recent years, and what we’ve seen thus far in 2019, point to this being a loss.  
    No one outside of the Michigan locker room will be giving them a chance; the line is at 7.5.
    What a great win this would be.

One of my most favorite Michigan wins of all time was the 1997 win at Penn State.  I certainly don’t expect to see Michigan rip Penn States heart out like that, but it sure would be one for the books to see Michigan go into Happy Valley and ruin that white out on national TV.

I’ll be watching this one with one eye closed, always expecting the impending disaster, but a glimmer of hope will be there even as a hapless fan.

Go Blue!
  • edited October 14
    What we have shown this season is a propensity to turn the ball over. If that continues we stand no chance of winning this game. 

If we can somehow manage to not turn the ball over we’re still going to need extra special efforts from the D & special teams to pull the upset. 

Unfortunately no Michigan football team the last 15 years has managed to go on the road & win a game like this. I see no reason to believe this is the team that’s going to get it done. 

I foresee this being the beginning of a very painful stretch for Michigan Football. PSU beats us by 3 scores or more & we stagger to the end of this season losing 4 of 6. 

• Jabes0623 said:

I foresee this being the beginning of a very painful stretch for Michigan Football. PSU beats us by 3 scores or more & we stagger to the end of this season losing 4 of 6. 

And not to pile on but we open the 2020 season at Washington… LOL

Go Blue!!
  • This would be a HUGE road win in the Harbaugh era, and a great springboard to hosting the Domers at night the following week. The teams have traded blowouts at home over the last three seasons. Few people expect a win, but the truth is this PSU team doesn't have Saquon, or McSorley. How will they respond if the Michigan D smacks them in the mouth early?

It seems McCaffrey is healthy again, so maybe we see him on the field a few times in different situations.

As long as UM doesn't shoot themselves in the foot with stupid penalties and turnovers, they will be fine. That's a HUGE "if".
  • This one could be painful. No way we'll be able to run the ball so that leaves Shea Fumble It Away Patterson. Not a good look. On D we should be able to handle their offense BUT..big plays will kill us. Can't allow that. Harbaugh on the road, at night, against a ranked team?That's worth 10 points for PSU out of the gate. 31-13 PSU sounds about right.
  • The offensive line is going to have to stop #54 for them. He was blowing up Iowa’s line all game. Given how our line still gets confused by stunts I’m not hopeful. 

On D we better be ready for the QB draw/scramble. Their QB pick up chunk plays just running up the middle. And holy cow #1 Hommley I think it is, for a going to be a bad match up for us. 

The only hope is if the D plays like they did against Iowa. And we cannot turn the ball over this game. It takes points away from us and gives points to them. 

But, penn State is only 7-8 in whiteout games with 2 losses coming to Michigan. I say that not because I think we win but to simply dispel this myth that penn State is unbeatable in their whiteout games. 
  • Don’t know much about PSU but they usually have a good TE and if their QB is mobile this is not a good thing with UM.  If UM takes care of the ball and the defense plays like the 3 quarters of the Illinois game and the whole Iowa game they have a chance.  If not like many have stated mistakes and bad defense will push them to fold up like a card table.
  • Michigan’s last win against a Top 7 Big 10 team on the road was in 1999.

Go Blue!!
  • Michigan’s last win against a Top 7 Big 10 team on the road was in 1999.

Go Blue!!
      We're do.
  • edited October 19
    Alright so my predictions have been very bad. but I'm going to keep shooting like Lebron in an all-star game.

Michigan 27 PSU 24. and the kicker who left them for us is going to kick the winner as time expires.
  • Penn State is 19-5-1 against the spread in its past 25 home games following a straight up win (all under head coach Franklin). PSU won 17-12 last week over Iowa.

Michigan is 2-8 against the spread and 1-9 straight up versus AP top-10 teams under Harbaugh and 2-8 against the spread (0-10 straight up) in its past 10 road games against AP top-10 teams.

The favorite is 5-0 against the spread in the past 5 games.

This game won’t be close.

Michigan - 13
    Penn St. - 38

Go Blue!!
  • Penn State is 19-5-1 against the spread in its past 25 home games following a straight up win (all under head coach Franklin). PSU won 17-12 last week over Iowa.

Michigan is 2-8 against the spread and 1-9 straight up versus AP top-10 teams under Harbaugh and 2-8 against the spread (0-10 straight up) in its past 10 road games against AP top-10 teams.

The favorite is 5-0 against the spread in the past 5 games.

This game won’t be close.

Michigan - 13
    Penn St. - 38

Go Blue!!
    If that happens we need to leave Harbaugh in Penn. Maybe he can get an OSU assistant position on his way back.
  • Your best predictor of future performance is past behavior and performance in a similar situation.

Go Blue!!
  • Let's see what these boys are made of! Go Blue!
  • Hopefully we can avoid how we usually start these games on the road and not let the D get carved up on their first possession and not turn it over one our first offensive possession. 
  • 42-0 we can't even get off a snap..... Why can't we do this at the big house? 
  • Wow. Middle of the field throw
  • Why is this shit in Spanish?  Is it because I'm watching from overseas?  Is anyone else's broadcast in espanol?

• Goblue88 said:
    Alright so my predictions have been very bad. but I'm going to keep shooting like Lebron in an all-star game.

Michigan 27 PSU 24. and the kicker who left them for us is going to kick the winner as time expires.
    Not even one snap in and you already switch your pick?? 😂
  • Well. I’ll take it. Taking the timeout sucked but they moved the ball through the air. Protected decently. And we didn’t have to punt from our 10. Oh yeah, no turnover. 

You’re up D. 
  • What happened with the delay of game penalty?  My ESPN app is having issues.  I can only watch the Spanish feed for some reason.  
  • You have to go get that yard.  Tentative is not an option.
  • That was some Violent Defence. I WANT TO SEE THAT VIOLENCE all day. They looks hungry
  • Sit DPJ’s ass on the bench for the rest of the half.
  • Jabes0623 said:
    Sit DPJ’s ass on the bench for the rest of the half.
    Sit a player for a CB making a NFL play? did you watch that KC vs Detroit game of 2 playoff teams that had 8 fumbles because the D on both teams were going for balls with fists? That was textbook how to knock loose.