UMGOBLUE.COM

****CONFIRMED**** Harbaugh signs 5yr extension

Comments

• Identify and Control Crickets
    Cricketssssssssssss............  The more time that goes by the more likely he is gone.  For what its worth, its my opinion that the Harbaugh era has come to an end................  and I honestly do not know how I fee about it.  Remember all the optimism that came with him being hired!?!?!?!?!?  There couldn't have been a better candidate for the job back then!  A "Michigan Man", a proven winner at SDSU, getting Stanford past what seamed to be an unstoppable USC team, and even getting the 49ers into the Super Bowl in a very short period of time.  There wasn't a doubt in my mind that he wouldn't get the job done.  There wasn't a doubt in my mind that we would have beaten Ohio State at least 2 times in 6 tries, that we would have played in at least one or two B10 Championship games, and maybe even made an appearance or two in the College Football Playoff.  Good grief has it been 6 years already?  How does everyone else feel about all of this?
  • It's clear he'd rather be with an NFL team, any one of them, than remain at Michigan. Enough already. Give him a deadline and see what happens. If he leaves, who cares...he hasn't done squat.
  • Tom Herman is undefeated in bowl games (what's that like?) and available without a buyout.
  • Duck

Duck

Duck

Duck

Duck

Duck

Go Blue!!
  • https://amp.detroitnews.com/amp/4137499001?__twitter_impression=true

According to Angelique, Michigan and Harbaugh are close on 5-year extension.

Go Blue!!
  • 5 years, lower base salary, huge incentives. Sounds good. Earn that money. 
  • Read the deal is signed.  Not sure on when it will be announced.
  • "Ohio State football Twitter account 'likes' Michigan football's Jim Harbaugh extension"
  • edited January 8
    Also read that JH himself has stated that he signed the extension
  • Base salary drops from 7.8 million to 4! 
  • "I continue to believe that Jim is the right man to lead our program in pursuit of Big Ten and CFP championships," Manuel said in a statement. "Our program didn't achieve at a level that anyone expected this year but I know those setbacks will drive the coaches, players and staff moving forward. Jim is a tireless worker and competitor. Following the completion of the season we talked for many hours on what it will take for Jim to lead and get us back on the right trajectory.
    Go Blue!!
  • "My thanks to Athletic Director Warde Manuel for the trust that he has shown in allowing me to continue to coach the University of Michigan football team, and to President Mark Schlissel and the Board of Regents for their on-going support," said Harbaugh. "My additional thanks to Doug Gnodtke, our football staff and those departments on campus who continue to support our mission. Over the past few weeks, Warde and I had discussions that have been honest, open, insightful and constructive in moving our football program forward. Discussions that I look forward to continuing over the months and years ahead. We have a plan.

"There is work to be done and challenges to be addressed. These challenges are being addressed as we continue to strive for excellence in the classroom and championships on the field, a message that I hope is noted in the language of our agreed-upon contract.

"Thanks to our University of Michigan players and their families who have placed their trust in our program and our goals. All our energy and focus is directed toward laying an outstanding foundation for the 2021 football season."

Go Blue!!
  • “A message that I hope is noted in our agreed upon contract”
    Dude, did you not read the contract you signed…

Go Blue!!
  • Manuel Announces Contract Extension for Football Coach Jim Harbaugh
    ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- University of Michigan Athletic Director Warde Manuel announced Friday (Jan. 8) that Jim Harbaugh, the J. Ira and Nicki Harris Family Head Football Coach, has reached an agreement on a contract extension that runs through the 2025 football season. Harbaugh has signed a four-year extension with revised financial terms effective Jan. 11, 2021.

“I continue to believe that Jim is the right man to lead our program in pursuit of Big Ten and CFP championships,” said Manuel, the Donald R. Shepherd Director of Athletics. “Our program didn’t achieve at a level that anyone expected this year but I know those setbacks will drive the coaches, players and staff moving forward. Jim is a tireless worker and competitor. Following the completion of the season we talked for many hours on what it will take for Jim to lead and get us back on the right trajectory.

“Jim loves the University of Michigan and this football program,” added Manuel. “He has been committed to this university, athletic department and football program since his days as a player and returning in 2015 as the head coach. He wants to do everything possible to build a championship football team while graduating our student-athletes. We all need to do our part to continue to help in that pursuit as it takes everyone pulling the same direction to have a championship level program.”

“My thanks to Athletic Director Warde Manuel for the trust that he has shown in allowing me to continue to coach the University of Michigan football team, and to President Mark Schlissel and the Board of Regents for their on-going support,” said Harbaugh. “My additional thanks to Doug Gnodtke, our football staff and those departments on campus who continue to support our mission. Over the past few weeks, Warde and I had discussions that have been honest, open, insightful and constructive in moving our football program forward. Discussions that I look forward to continuing over the months and years ahead. We have a plan.

“There is work to be done and challenges to be addressed,” added Harbaugh. “These challenges are being addressed as we continue to strive for excellence in the classroom and championships on the field, a message that I hope is noted in the language of our agreed-upon contract.

“Thanks to our University of Michigan players and their families who have placed their trust in our program and our goals, said Harbaugh. “All our energy and focus is directed toward laying an outstanding foundation for the 2021 football season.”

Harbaugh has guided the Wolverines to a 49-22 overall record and 34-16 Big Ten record during his six seasons leading the Michigan football program. He has led U-M to three 10-win seasons and has guided teams to five bowl games, including two New Year’s Six Bowls and three New Year’s Day bowl games.

Eight Wolverines have secured 12 All-America honors under Harbaugh, including consensus honorees Devin Bush, Jake Butt, Maurice Hurst, Jourdan Lewis and Jabrill Peppers. 

Additionally, Butt won the Mackey Award as the nation’s top tight end in 2016 while Peppers received the Lott IMPACT Trophy, Paul Hornung Award and was a fifth-place finisher in the Heisman Trophy race that same season. Several other athletes have been national award finalists under Harbaugh, including Lewis (Jim Thorpe Award) and Bush (Butkus Award).

A total of 24 players have earned All-Big Ten first team recognition, including four in 2015, six in 2016, three in 2017, eight in 2018, and three in 2019. In the classroom, Wolverines have totaled 224 Academic All-Big Ten honors during his tenure, including a program-record 50 in 2020.
    Harbaugh’s teams at Michigan have finished the season ranked in the national polls on four occasions, including a No. 10 season-ending ranking in 2016, when the Wolverines came within inches of claiming their first Big Ten East Division Title and a spot in the conference championship game in 2016. U-M has finished the season as a top-15 team three times in Harbaugh’s tenure.

Under Harbaugh, Michigan has produced two of the five most-productive offensive seasons in school history. U-M has had a top-12 national defense in five of his six seasons and a top-three unit on three occasions.

Harbaugh was named the 20th coach in Michigan football history on Dec. 30, 2014. He became the sixth Michigan football player selected to lead college football’s winningest program.

Harbaugh is in the process of evaluating and putting together his staff for the 2021 season. More details will be shared at a later date.

• This is the part that stuck out to me: 

“ Over the past few weeks, Warde and I had discussions that have been honest, open, insightful and constructive in moving our football program forward. Discussions that I look forward to continuing over the months and years ahead. We have a plan.”

love it. Acknowledge it was a train wreck. But talk is cheap. Go do it. 
  • edited January 8
    Next step is to bring in a better staff than he has had the last couple of years. In addition become the coach with the fire in your eyes that you were a few years ago.  I met JH in Dallas at one of his satellite camps. He signed my Bo book right below Bo’s personal autograph to me. When he shook my hand I cringed a little and then he stared at me with glaring eyes.  I left thinking to myself that he was one of the most intense men I have ever met.  That is what UM needs and what the fan base is looking for IMO
  • Those incentives and bonuses are pretty straightforward.

Go Blue!!
  • Fasten your boot straps for 5 more years of almost mediocrity. I'm pretty disappointed. I hope I'm wrong as hell though!
  • Which coaches remain after tomorrow? Most contracts expire Jan. 11.
  • I’m most interested in if Gattis is back. Do you give him one more year? Hoping that the growing pains of the last two years are about to pay off? Or, do you say I’ve seen enough a d go get an experienced play caller?
  • I’m most interested in if Gattis is back. Do you give him one more year? Hoping that the growing pains of the last two years are about to pay off? Or, do you say I’ve seen enough a d go get an experienced play caller?
    Gattis still has one more year on his contract.

Go Blue!!
  • Any thoughts on getting Mike Hart as running backs coach.
  • WOULD LOVE IT. I’ve been so disappointed in our RBs since Hart was here. And I feel like the fact that he was t the biggest or fastest makes him a great coach because he had to be good at vision, angles, balance, and pass protection. He had to work at it to be good. He just couldn’t roll out on Saturday and rely on physical gifts like some. 

However, isn’t he like co-offensive coordinated or something at Indiana? Why leave for a step down in responsibility? 
  • I think Hart is the RB coach and associate head coach so they would probably have to give him a larger title, which means OC and I don’t see that happening.

Go Blue!!
  • I’m kind of over hiring first time offensive coordinators. It has not worked out great for us recently. 
  • I’m kind of over hiring first time offensive coordinators. It has not worked out great for us recently. 
    Agreed. Michigan is not a place where you cut your teeth… that’s what the MAC and others are for.

Go Blue!!
  • It’s appears Michigan DB coach Mike Zordich might not be back.

Go Blue!!