UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

Why can’t we land recruits?

Comments

• Good news after losing both starting DEs from last season.
  • 2021 5-star QB J.J. McCarthy commits to Michigan.

Go Blue!!
  • Great news now keep him in the fold!
  • Ranked as the #2 QB in the 2021 class 
  • Braiden McGregor committed to Michigan tonight. He is the #27 overall prospect in the 2020 class and #3 DE.

Go Blue!!
  • edited May 25
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C31b_OP12aA

WATCH TILL THE END.
    Clip of him commiting in harbaugh's office. The reactions who's got it better than us.
  • After having a big official visit weekend, Michigan received 8 commitments, but not all have made an announcement yet.

Go Blue!!
  • '20 William Mohan did just announce his commitment. Love this from his Erasmus Hall NY HS coach: “He is a relentless, Tasmanian devil type where he is just going to keep coming after you. That’s his game. His game is he is going to chase you like one of those National Geographic wolves chasing a rabbit and not giving up.”
  • Jordan Morant, ranked 47th overall, regardless of position and the nation’s top safety and second-best prospect out of New Jersey committed to Michigan. He chose the Mich over OSU, PSU, A&M and USC.

Morant was the top player on their board.

Go Blue!!
  • Ok I dont follow recruiting nearly as close as I used to so forgive me for this but: that’s a lot of 3 star guys. 

::ducks the tomatoes being thrown::

I know star rankings are not everything. Mike Hart was a 3 star and was one of the greatest running backs the school had ever had. But if Ohio State is still nabbing all 4 and 5 star guys how are we ever going to beat them on the field? 

I just thought at this point with Harbaugh we would be getting a few 5 stars, mostly 4 star, and a sprinkling of 3 stars. Seems with this year’s class we are getting mostly 3’s with a few 4’s. 

Not or trying to be a jerk or rain on the parade just a little...I dunno how to describe it.  
  • Sometimes it depends on which articles you read.  For example read one that said C Atteberry was a three star and another said he was a 4 star.
  • edited June 24
    Ok I dont follow recruiting nearly as close as I used to so forgive me for this but: that’s a lot of 3 star guys. 

::ducks the tomatoes being thrown::

I know star rankings are not everything. Mike Hart was a 3 star and was one of the greatest running backs the school had ever had. But if Ohio State is still nabbing all 4 and 5 star guys how are we ever going to beat them on the field? 

I just thought at this point with Harbaugh we would be getting a few 5 stars, mostly 4 star, and a sprinkling of 3 stars. Seems with this year’s class we are getting mostly 3’s with a few 4’s. 

Not or trying to be a jerk or rain on the parade just a little...I dunno how to describe it.  
    For alot of them it's 3 star in name, not in the offer sheet. 

like one of those 3 stars, the one that flipped from WV was ranked like 407th overall. 4 star cuts off at #353.

Right now our 2020 commit of the 3 star's we have 5 of the 7 are between #354-450 and the one at #550 is Shea Patterson's brother.

So we have 2 commits outside the top 550 that would be considered "reaches"

Also it's early. if 5 star's start committing some of the 3 stars may get processed later on as is college football.
  • Thanks for the explanation! Feel better now. I did go look at the offer sheets. Saw a lot of Ohio State, Penn State, Notre Dame, and an Alabama. 
  • edited June 24
    There is more to today's commit than meets the eye. For one he committed to both football and Wrestling. (something that will not fly and will end up with him having to choose one because they overlap and have different training requirements). I feel this is like some other commits we had in the last few years. I honestly don't expect him to be part of the class when its all said and done. Could he get a scholarship for wrestling and then walk on the football team after a year or something? It may be something more along those lines. 

At the end of the day though. as to the 3/4/5 star debate. It's been mentioned many times that the difference between a high 3 and low/mid 4 stars is a lot on what is seen in the film. Coaches do not go to rival's to see who to recruit they watch the film themselves.

You know what you call a guy working as a recruiting analyst for 247/rivals. A guy who couldn't make it onto a coaching staff doing the same job for usually more money. outside the top 100 kids, the difference between talent/potential can vary greatly based off who sees it/judges it.

For example that WV kid who flipped to us is 3 star composite 415th. His 247 is 4 star #180. #9 player in NJ. His ESPN is an 80 on their grading scale putting him mid 300's. His Rivals is 29th best player in NJ  (outside top 1000 overall) low 3 star. 
  • Some of the star system is based on camps. Some players can’t afford to go to 10 camps or more. Believe me those things add up. Also based on the high school they attend. A star at Dallas Jesuit, Don Bosco etc will get a higher than let’s say Ann Arbor Pioneer high
  • edited June 25
    Some of the star system is based on camps. Some players can’t afford to go to 10 camps or more. Believe me those things add up. Also based on the high school they attend. A star at Dallas Jesuit, Don Bosco etc will get a higher than let’s say Ann Arbor Pioneer high
    and that is the thing with 2 of the 3 stars's who committed to us yesterday. one is the CB who is #180 or so on 247 (has risen alot over the last year) but is 1000 on Rivals and ESPN has him in the 300-500 range because he hasn't been to their camps. Another one of the kids who i'm missing his name but I saw on goblog this morning was also bumped to a 4 star on 247 in their last update but is a mid 3 star on Rivals/espn. cause they are having the same conversations about star watching.

• edited June 25
    https://247sports.com/player/jeffrey-persi-46058191/ 

6ft 7in OL from Cali pulled the trigger tonight He was on campus last weekend and was one of the rumored 9 commits/soon to announce silent who gave the staff notice over the weekend. Ranked #412 overall..

Another 3 star for all you star watchers but another solid top #450 recruit had offers from UCLA, Washington, Arizona St, TCU, Oklahoma and his hometown USC to name a few. We just went into SoCal and stole a Big boy.
  • You guys can spin it however you like, but Alabama and Clemson aren’t playing for national titles year after year because they’re recruiting 2/3-star players. They’re getting 4/5-star players every year and kicking everyone’s asses....

Go Blue!!
  • I still look more at the “other schools offered” than the stars cause that can change
  • edited June 25
    You guys can spin it however you like, but Alabama and Clemson aren’t playing for national titles year after year because they’re recruiting 2/3-star players. They’re getting 4/5-star players every year and kicking everyone’s asses....

Go Blue!!
    .   was that Clemson's 14th overall 2014 class with 7 kids below # 700, their 11th overall 2015 class,  2016 they had 8th which was nice.  2017 was 16th overall.

if we end up with 7 kids in that 350-600 rank and the rest 4/5 star were going to have a top 5 class.  Right now we are not Bama. were not going to get 24 top 200 kids unless your paying them or walking them into a trophy room with 6 national titles in the last 10.

also I believe in our coaches.

For example Reece Attaberry. Another of our 3 stars who committed last week. Had offers from USC, Oklahoma, ND, Ohio St and Penn St. he's been rising up the 247 boards his entire jr year. Was #1000 or so and is now #450 and most likely will crack 4 star before signing day.

• AJ Henning #80 Overall #16 WR (#5 slot WR) and #1 player in the state of Illinois Commits to the Wolverines. 

Was JJ Mcaffrey's top WR target at camp's and those 2 became really good friends. Our QB commit now has his WR.
  • Goblue88 said:
    AJ Henning #80 Overall #16 WR (#5 slot WR) and #1 player in the state of Illinois Commits to the Wolverines. 

Was JJ Mcaffrey's top WR target at camp's and those 2 became really good friends. Our QB commit now has his WR.
    Can't wait to hear the Domers spin this one with their "we didn't really want Henning anyway" garbage. Good pick up for the good guys.
  • 4-star RB Blake Corum committed to Michigan over Ohio State, LSU and USC.

Go Blue!!
  • Team Rankings:

Rivals - 5
    247 - 8
    ESPN - 10

Go Blue!!
  • Just a week ago Michigan was ranked 23rd on Rivals
  • Another 4-star LB committed to Michigan tonight.

Michigan now has the best class in the B10!

Rivals - 4
    247 - 5
    ESPN - 10 (hasn’t been updated)

Go Blue!!
  • So far #1 in B1G in Rivals and 247 

• 4-star RB Blake Corum committed to Michigan over Ohio State, LSU and USC.

Go Blue!!
    Sweet. Not a very big frame. Some really good kids coming out of the DC area.