UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UMGOBLUE.COM

WEEK 8: Rutgers @ Michigan 12 PM EST on BTN GAMEDAY THREAD

13»

Comments

  • Not unless Higdon decides to throw it deep ... I don't see anyone else touching the ball!
  • edited October 2017
    If it ain't broke don't fix it. We've run the ball down Rutgers throats all day. Keep feeding the backs & giving Peters half the field to read & easy passes.
  • Running the ball is fine for salting this game away, but what about the future and getting ready for tOSU?  Shouldn't we be running a more balanced offense and giving Peters experience in finding receivers and making throws? I do not understand the mind set of the coaching here (note again, I am NOT saying fire anybody...) - imho, the rate of development of this team is too slow to succeed long term.
  • edited October 2017
    Peters first game action, he's played well, especially given the situation he was brought into. Keep his, & the teams confidence high. Turnovers, fumbled snaps, we don't need anything raining on this coming out party.

    Most importantly don't let other teams see too much of what he can, or can't do. 

    For the first time since last season I agree with the way this is being coached & called 100%.
  • Show who what?  We haven't shown anyone anything.  50 rushes, 20 passes, no completions over 20 yards ... who and where are our wide-outs? Do we have any?
  • Good win. Great to see Peters get a chance. Thanks God Harbaugh finally pulled the trigger & put him out there. 
  • Agreed - the future just got a little brighter.  Go Blue!
  • Agree, many positives to be taken from today's game.  Peters looked poised, did not make mistakes.  RB's found holes and moved the ball well, o-line got good surge and provided good pass protection.  Only negative to me was the defense again giving up another big play and not forcing any turnovers against what has been a very bad offense.  Need to start generating turnovers to beat better teams down the road.
  • dr81blue said:
    Agree, many positives to be taken from today's game.  Peters looked poised, did not make mistakes.  RB's found holes and moved the ball well, o-line got good surge and provided good pass protection.  Only negative to me was the defense again giving up another big play and not forcing any turnovers against what has been a very bad offense.  Need to start generating turnovers to beat better teams down the road.
    THIS....but, like I said earlier, I think a more consistent offense will help our defense. It should help our defense play looser and more aggressive because the last couple weeks they've had to be perfect and carry the load and that's hard for any team.

    Go Blue!!
  • Just the fact that the defense has to cover the WHOLE field makes a difference. Okorn is a relief pitcher not a starter. 
  • dr81blue said:
    Agree, many positives to be taken from today's game.  Peters looked poised, did not make mistakes.  RB's found holes and moved the ball well, o-line got good surge and provided good pass protection.  Only negative to me was the defense again giving up another big play and not forcing any turnovers against what has been a very bad offense.  Need to start generating turnovers to beat better teams down the road.
    THIS....but, like I said earlier, I think a more consistent offense will help our defense. It should help our defense play looser and more aggressive because the last couple weeks they've had to be perfect and carry the load and that's hard for any team.

    Go Blue!!
    Very true the def can’t be on the field all the time like last week. If Peters can manage the game and not get too rattled they can salvage the season especially at the end of the year!!
  • Is it wrong that my favorite moment today was when O’Korn and Peters both ran over to Harbaugh, and coach gave Peters the nod and made a face like ‘of course it’s you’.

    I don’t expect the kid to be a world beater, but it will be nice to see how he handles the coming weeks.

    Of course today has a lot to do with Rutgers.  But considering how bad JOK was early on, this game might have been a close one had he not been yanked.

    Go Blue!
  • I guess none of us should be surprised, I mean O’Korn did lose the starting job at Houston for a reason. 

    Might be be a great kid, he’s just not a quality QB. 
  • Looks like Nordin is hurt and could miss some time.
  • Pocket presence and poise were two things I noticed big differences between Peters and O'Korn.  O'Korn seems to bail on the pocket way too early and then he's late on finding his receivers when they're open or he's running for his life.  Peters on the other hand seemed to hang in the pocket much better allowing him to survey the field and find the open receiver.

    Yes it was only Rutgers, but with that said, O'Korn didn't do shit vs. that same Rutgers defense for a quarter and a half.  Peters came in and led Michigan to 3 straight td drives!   
    Now we have 2 very winnable games where Peters can start and gain even more confidence and build for the future!


  • MGoBrew said:
    Pocket presence and poise were two things I noticed big differences between Peters and O'Korn.  O'Korn seems to bail on the pocket way too early and then he's late on finding his receivers when they're open or he's running for his life.  Peters on the other hand seemed to hang in the pocket much better allowing him to survey the field and find the open receiver.

    Yes it was only Rutgers, but with that said, O'Korn didn't do shit vs. that same Rutgers defense for a quarter and a half.  Peters came in and led Michigan to 3 straight td drives!   
    Now we have 2 very winnable games where Peters can start and gain even more confidence and build for the future!


    Peters did look calmer BUT...give our O line a few more chances and they'll change his mind.  He'll be running for his life. ;)
  • The reason Peters looked more calm and the OL performed better was because there weren't 85 people in the box trying to stop the run because there waa no threat to pass the call farther than 5 yards down the field. Peters show that he can stretch the field so teams will have to pull a safety out of the box which should open things up in the running game.

    Go Blue!!
  • The reason Peters looked more calm and the OL performed better was because there weren't 85 people in the box trying to stop the run because there waa no threat to pass the call farther than 5 yards down the field. Peters show that he can stretch the field so teams will have to pull a safety out of the box which should open things up in the running game.

    Go Blue!!
    I don't know why everyone is so hard on the OL. I really don't think the play has that bad. They have ran fairly well. The protection has been good. They have given up a few sacks but some have been coverage sacks which are on the QB/WR's and play calling. Right now JH needs a QB who can complete passes consistently. Hopefully Peters can do that because its not like this O is that complex for a QB. The O sets up the passing game and the QB just has to execute his part.
  • uneek1 said:
    The reason Peters looked more calm and the OL performed better was because there weren't 85 people in the box trying to stop the run because there waa no threat to pass the call farther than 5 yards down the field. Peters show that he can stretch the field so teams will have to pull a safety out of the box which should open things up in the running game.

    Go Blue!!
    I don't know why everyone is so hard on the OL. I really don't think the play has that bad. They have ran fairly well. The protection has been good. They have given up a few sacks but some have been coverage sacks which are on the QB/WR's and play calling. Right now JH needs a QB who can complete passes consistently. Hopefully Peters can do that because its not like this O is that complex for a QB. The O sets up the passing game and the QB just has to execute his part.

    I agree.  It's not like we have been struggling to run the football.  In fact, we are in the top 40 in rushing offense nationally which isn't all that bad considering opposing defenses have not had to respect our passing game. 

    As for pass blocking, I would say O'Korn was more to blame because of his lack of pocket presence/awareness.  JOK couldn't wait to get out of the pocket and failed most times when he would start to run around for his life.  To me, it wasn't because the protection was breaking down, it was because JOK wouldn't trust the pocket.  IMO, having a QB like JOK can be frustrating for an O-line because you call one type of pass pro and then he goes running all around and whatever was called is meaningless.  I saw much more of a pocket presence from Peters already and I hope it continues and I think if it does, you will see this o-line start to really come together.
  • MGoBrew said:
    uneek1 said:
    The reason Peters looked more calm and the OL performed better was because there weren't 85 people in the box trying to stop the run because there waa no threat to pass the call farther than 5 yards down the field. Peters show that he can stretch the field so teams will have to pull a safety out of the box which should open things up in the running game.

    Go Blue!!
    I don't know why everyone is so hard on the OL. I really don't think the play has that bad. They have ran fairly well. The protection has been good. They have given up a few sacks but some have been coverage sacks which are on the QB/WR's and play calling. Right now JH needs a QB who can complete passes consistently. Hopefully Peters can do that because its not like this O is that complex for a QB. The O sets up the passing game and the QB just has to execute his part.

    I agree.  It's not like we have been struggling to run the football.  In fact, we are in the top 40 in rushing offense nationally which isn't all that bad considering opposing defenses have not had to respect our passing game. 

    As for pass blocking, I would say O'Korn was more to blame because of his lack of pocket presence/awareness.  JOK couldn't wait to get out of the pocket and failed most times when he would start to run around for his life.  To me, it wasn't because the protection was breaking down, it was because JOK wouldn't trust the pocket.  IMO, having a QB like JOK can be frustrating for an O-line because you call one type of pass pro and then he goes running all around and whatever was called is meaningless.  I saw much more of a pocket presence from Peters already and I hope it continues and I think if it does, you will see this o-line start to really come together.

    This team is tailor made for a game manager. That's all it needs even with the avg WR core. There are times they are open but O'NO wasn't getting it done. Speight was just getting a chance to grow before he got hurt but he wasn't connecting like he should as well. With the passes you just need to be accurate and take care of the football. You always want to end all possessions with a kick if possible. More kicks thru the uprights means your team has a better chance of winning.

    But with that said a lot of the play calling sucked in the RZ. They would run down to the 10 then throw on 1st and second. Like WTF is that trust me lack RZ of success is as much on the play calls as it is the execution. Hopefully Peters can grow into a solid game manager because right now that's all they need.

Sign In or Register to comment.