Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UMGOBLUE.COM

WEEK 9: Maryland @ Michigan (#2) GAMEDAY THREAD

edited November 2016 in Michigan Football Talk

...who is the top-rated passer in the B1G this season?

Michigan's opponent this Saturday, Maryland's Perry Hills, is not only tops in the B1G, but he's also tops in the conference against the B1G.  (Wilton Speight is #2 in both categories.)

Overall:  7 games 93/140 for 1070 yards 10 TD / 3 INT

Vs B1G: 4 games 56/80  607  7/3

His record is 2-2 aginst the B1G, but he's also rushed for 4 TD and can scrammble if needed.

Comments

• We'll use this as our start of the Maryland thread. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Good stats zjg!

3:30pm EST kickoff in the Big House.

I haven't even begun to look at this game yet as I spent the entire weekend at the Cubs games and rearranging furniture and beds in my house for the surprise addition of our 5th child (4th girl)......so, I don't know what Maryland brings to the table other than Michigan's ex-DC DJ Durkin.

I just looked it up and Michigan opened as a 26pt favorite and it's moved to 29.5pts. Good grief!

Ok, what are you expecting this weekend?

Go Blue!!
  • Hopefully they will be not under the weather as I think some of them were.  Better line play on both sides of the ball, more creative play calling, and above all better tackling.  Also hope we don't get the same officiating crew caused they were pretty bad!

• 5 kids?  Hooooe-leeeee fudge.  Thanks for picking up the slack for the childlessness that is my marriage, dude.

• Good for you Scottsdale! You're a better man than me, I had two daughters(who I love dearly)and then got snipped!!!Mine are 19&17 so I've done that, can't imagine what college is going to cost for you!!
  • They will play very business like. If IU ran for 4 hundred and change then UM should run for 1000 on Sat. Speight is playing solid. Definitely needs a some work on the deep ball however I am impressed with his mobility he isnt a statue. And he has some "make them miss" enough for a QB to get a pass off.

Definsively MD scores 17 if they are lucky. And I mean real lucky. Want to see more Devon Bush if possible as well. He seems to have earned a lot of ST and clean up time. Would loveto see him in the rotation a little.

Kick as many FG's as you can keep his confidence up we are gonna need it!!

• This should be a blowout. Like others have said Indiana ran for 400 yards against them last week so expect a lot of hand offs. We'll probably have at least 2 guys with 100 yards rushing...could it be 3? Don't expect a whole lot from the passing game.

Defense-just tackle better.

Don't get hurt, get ready for Iowa.
  • BigHouseFootball said: Defense-just tackle better.

Don't get hurt, get ready for Iowa.

This.  I would add with any of the previous coaching regimes I would say be ready for a let down after MSU.  But Harbaugh always seems to have them ready to play so not worried about this. 

• Run the ball like crazy. Hit a few deep routes on play action. Contain Hills, shut down Maryland's 13th-ranked running attack, and definitely better tackling.

I was looking at Chesson's stats yesterday and he has only 20 catches and 1 receiving TD this season. Initially, I thought that seemed odd, but when looking back to last year he didn't really establish himself as the number 1 target until around week 9. Darboh has improved a bunch, but I wonder if the staff has been intentionally hiding Jehu a bit for later in the year, or it's just taking time to develop chemistry with Speight. At least one deep ball to him for a big gain would be nice, also maybe a jet sweep as he hasn't done as much of that this season either.

From a nice-to-have perspective, if Peppers is going to win the Heisman he'll need several more BIG plays (return TDs, pick-6, etc.), so one of those plays this week would be nice.
  • This would be a LONG time to be hiding a secret weapon....haha

I just don't think he's synced up with Speight, yet (and some of that is because Speight can't hit the ocean on a throw further than 20 yds)...it took Chesson some time with Rudock as well - hopefully we'll see him blossom in this offense again this year, because he was lethal when we went on the nasty streak the end of last year.

Go Blue!!
  • I've been wondering where the hell Chesson has been as well.  I just figured he isn't fully recovered from his injury or something.  The chemistry thing makes sense as well.  It would be nice to see him start getting targeted more as both he and Darboh are a lethal 1-2 combo as receivers!!!

As for the game, I think we will see a healthy dose of Smith, Higdon, Isaac and Evans in this one with some Peppers sprinkled in with the wildcat.  I also see Speight having a solid game going for around 250 thru the air.  I'd like to see us pushing 50 points overall which would make me happy!

Defensively, I too want to see a better performance of tackling!  We hold Sparty to well under 150 yards rushing if they would have just wrapped up at the point of attack instead of letting Scott and others break free for big gains!  Maryland will want to try and duplicate Sparty's success so we need that front 7 to show up and shut down the Turtle run game!!!

All in all, I'd like to see us stay healthy and cover the spread and get ready for an always tough test at night in Iowa City next week!!!

• TK23Blue said: This.  I would add with any of the previous coaching regimes I would say be ready for a let down after MSU.  But Harbaugh always seems to have them ready to play so not worried about this. 

Yep.  Harbaugh and the players continue to emphasize that they prepare for every week and every opponent like it is a championship game!  Hard to have let downs when you have the right mindset and preparation each and every week! 

• This would be a LONG time to be hiding a secret weapon....haha

I just don't think he's synced up with Speight, yet (and some of that is because Speight can't hit the ocean on a throw further than 20 yds)...it took Chesson some time with Rudock as well - hopefully we'll see him blossom in this offense again this year, because he was lethal when we went on the nasty streak the end of last year.

Go Blue!!

With that said might be a good week to try and get him involved. Run some reverses and Jet Sweeps move him around maybe some slot as well to create mismatches perhaps.  I also think that the running game is going so well that the outside WR's are not needed as much as in the past. Plus McDoom has taken away plays from running Jehu like they did last year.

• ScottsdaleBlue said: I just don't think he's synced up with Speight, yet (and some of that is because Speight can't hit the ocean on a throw further than 20 yds)...it took Chesson some time with Rudock as well - hopefully we'll see him blossom in this offense again this year, because he was lethal when we went on the nasty streak the end of last year.

I was watching one of the BTN shows last night and Robert Smith pointed out something really obvious that I hadn't given much thought--Speight's arm strength is lacking.  I believe that is because of that short-arm motion he uses.  The coaching staff obviously knows better than me, but there were at least 3 completed long passes last Saturday that would've gone for 6 if WS is on the money and not throwing behind guys.  Receivers had plenty of separation but they couldn't really capitalize.

Just to show Smith wasn't being a tOSU homer he said during the same show that the Buckeyes aren't a playoff-calibre team this year and didn't buy Meyer's assertion that they are getting tougher by playing in close games.

• I think this Maryland game will be another good test. Durkin is a great competitor and his team will be ready.
    Hills is the motor for that offense. If he gets beat up (I know he missed a few games from injury), it'll be a much easier match up.

I heard something about 'several players being under the weather' against Sparty. which may explain quite a bit... not an excuse, but definitely puts some mistakes in perspective.

I want to see how Wormley and Charlton bounce back this week. At times last week they got caught out of position.
    I expect the secondary to quickly return to old form. Thomas didn't have a great game against Sparty, and Hill should never lead the team with tackles, ever.
    Considering the PI calls Lewis received were out of the norm, I'm confident that he'll take away half the field again (not a stretch, I know).

On offense, continue to pound the ball with the run. Going to need to build that muscle in the coming weeks.
    I'm quickly growing to love Bredeson. This kid never gives up. Watched the replay of last week and a few times he was beat early only to stay with his block until he won the battle, quite a few of which ended with a pancake of the defender at the end. If he keeps up this pace, he could end up being something really special.

I'm not worried about Speight. He handled himself really well last week, with defenders getting clean shots on him, in a tough setting (not shoe tough, but that will come in due time).

On Chesson, something isn't right. I have to believe that he is nursing something, that seems like the only answer to me.
    He is way to good to have this type of drop off over where he ended last year.

Hoping to see the offense have another big first half. Michigan currently ranks second in first half points with a 28.6 avg., right behind Louisville with 29.
    FYI - Michigan ranks 22nd in 2nd half scoring with an 18 pt. avg. Obviously that stems from games being in control by that time.

Michigan really hasn't needed to play out a full 60 minutes outside of the Wisky game.
    You could count last week, I guess, but it was a three score game up until 7:30 left in the 4th quarter.
    That said, they've been dominating so much that they don't really know how they'll respond late in a game against a good offense.
    Just something I've been thinking about.

In summary, I hope this ends up much like the PSU game. Maryland not getting much room to move until the second half, and by then it's pretty much settled.

Go Blue!
  • I really hope it's a blowout. I don't think I'll get to watch much of it unless someone at a tailgate has the game on. I'll be making my first trip to Baton Rouge for Bama/LSU. If you hear about a guy with Michigan gear getting shanked at the game, that would be me.

• Illinois 17 MSU 9 late 3rd quarter..

If you want to talk about a team that has quit....... they gave it all last week and now are happy with 2 wins.

• Crazy how they can't move the ball when they get called for holding.
  • Seeing some bad trends with our defense we're not wrapping up and now today were giving up the perimeter not good we have to shore this up I know Maryland is a good running team but scribbling can't tackle, have to hold them to a field goal or get a turnover here can't give them any life
  • We have to shore up that slant pass if we don't Ohio State Will run it on us all day long
  • Remember this is Harbaugh's coaching staff-it will get corrected. I'd imagine in the 2nd half it won't be successful. No more Hoke or RR non adjustments coming from Michigan.
  • Michigan 35 Maryland 0 Halftime

• Gotta give credit to Maryland for the play calling. Lots of yards, but no points yet.
  • Washington vs Cal and Nebraska vs OSU tonight are gonna be good games tonight :) 1 or 2 upsets in those games could start making the playoff very interesting.

• I swear Steve Levy is blasted right now. He has no idea what is happening in the game.
  • Wow...not much of a GDT.  Too much of a blow-out, or is everyone busy today?  WHAT A DAY!

That tunnel screen (or whatever the heck you call it) went for big gains at least 3 times against the Michigan defense, but other than that not much to complain about.  Very happy with today's game.  Another opposing QB knocked out.

Biggie next week even if Iowa isn't as good as they were supposed to be.

• zjgm, thats just this board lately.  It has sucked since the change from the old forum.  Just not as active anymore.  But at least Michigan is winning!

GO BLUE!

• 3 games left. 3 games to put the last few years behind us. Beat Iowa!!