Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UMGOBLUE.COM

UM/Utah Game Thread

Comments

• Pass protection was much improved from last year, but the run was lacking. Rudock showed poise in the second half, especially in the 4th. I think he's our best option at QB and will quickly improve with the chemistry he gains from his receivers and in the offense. It's the first game of the year guys and we're playing under a whole new coaching scheme, no one expected us to go undefeated this year. Go to the tapes, learn from the mistakes, and kick ass next week.

• If you hadda told me that the receivers woulda done a much better job than the running backs tonight, I woulda been surprised and also pretty sure we'd lost.  The WR core is better than I expected them to be.  Smith looks the same as he did last year, so he's either a monster on the practice field or everyone else stinks at RB. Ty Isaac looked better to mem in his limited touches.

The D played good enough to win...as long as their offense isn't Michigan. A pick 6 and another INT in FG range is minimum 10-point swing.

I'll be very interested to see if JH takes the extra practice time to re-build Rudock's confidence, or if he forces Shane's balls to finally drop.  Shane is obviously more talented, but Rudock had experience, and poise which didn't amount to a hell of a lot tonight.  If you go to Shane and he stinks, then you have 2 QBs without confidence.

Not an embarrassing loss on the road to a quality opponent with a senior QB and RB and pressure defense.  

This team will look a whole lot better at home next Saturday.

• At least we didn't give up 525 yds of offense like Arizona did......(still won 42-32)

• The difference between this staff and the last staff, Is I trust whoever Jim Puts out there on Gamedays. Ruddock showed some talent, but 2 of the 3 ints were 100% unacceptable. The defense I was pleasantly surprised with, as well with the O-line pass protection. They definitely need to work on opening run lanes. And for the love of god, STOP TURNOVERS.

• We had our chances in this game and didn't execute . That's the difference in this game . when the team gets together to watch film a lot of Should iof   Would of could of  will stick out immediately. The last drive of the night showed hopefully what we can start doing the next game. 

• Ps if  Isaac nauta  saw this game it should help him make his decision a lot easier on where he wants to go to school. 

• It's always depressing to see a 2 minute drive and a TD late in the game.  I always ask myself, "why don't they just do that all game?"  LOL

overall, I was disappointed last night, but after sleeping on it, there were some positives.  I think it's true that Hoke didn't recruit any playmakers though.  What happened to Jabril on offense?

• I'm disappointed for sure, but have hope. The D played well enough to win, and like everyone's saying, if we eliminate 2 of the 3 interceptions (or even just the pick 6), we may be looking at a different outcome. The O line gave Rudock time to throw, but the backs were disappointing (again). It'll be interesting to see how they react next weekend, but I'm not giving up on them at all. We'll see them get better as the season progresses, and if they cut down on the TOs and actually create some on D, I still think we're an 8-4 team.

Where was Drake last night? Did he even get in? I thought the Darboh and Chesson played well, but was suprised we didn't see Harris at all.

• jsj_297 said:

1. How does a Guard the size of Braden not make any head room for a 4th &1 key run? He's like 6'7" 330lbs.......seriously?

2.this Ruddock to Perry doesn't seem like a great combo, don't know why he continued to force that bad relationship all game. (Why not try Harris just once?)

3. When can Drake Johnson start?

4. Butt is a stud.

5. Pepps is gonna be a stud.

6. Without that pick 6, we tie this game up for OT imo

It was not Braiden fault, it was Kalis, he blocked no one when he pulled.

• johnny3435 said: Where was Drake last night? Did he even get in? I thought the Darboh and Chesson played well, but was suprised we didn't see Harris at all.

I saw him warming up, but maybe he's not quite ready.  I'd rather not risk him because I have a feeling he's our best back.  He would have seen the holes the offensive line was opening up.  Wheras Smith was just running into the pile.  Hate seeing that

• Here are my take aways

1.QB Play, I thought JR played like a first year starter, first INT was not on him, but other two were all him.  With the last one being so telegraphed the entire statidum new it was coming.

2. O-line play was a D grade for run, B for pass protection.  The keep making Jr High mistakes over and over again,  Kalis pulling and NOT running to the hole to block on the 4th down play aweful.

3, WR and TE were are best options on Offense.

4. RB Smith runs hard, I'll give the kid credit, but he is the slowest TB in college football.  Green did not even sniff the field buy one series.

5.Our Defense is good, Peppers in the second half played great.

When in the name of GOD are we going to get a QB who does not turn the ball over and hit open receivers.

• Believe it or not I am actually excited about the upcoming season. First off the automatically look more weell coached. They were playing hard and gave themselves a chance to win (except for the pick 6 LOL)

Offense is better for sure line played well. Our backs have no vision. Smith is the best back thats not hurt but he missed a huge hole right before the pick 6 and also missed some others trhoughout the game.

WR were a pleasant surpirse didnt realize they were this talented since they hardly used them before

Def is beyond solid they are going to be the strength come end of season.

Despite the picks I think Ruddock is going to be ok. Once they get timing down and he can takle a majority of the snaps.

Def need to find a kicker as well.

I still think 9-3 is more than realistic and I think they can beat OSU by years end. Rememebr its only game one

• what happened to this true freshman kicker that was suppose to be awesome?

• Ruddock played OK remember there was a reason he was not playing in Iowa.  Overthrew two TDs and the last interception he locked into the WR too much.  I hope he improves cause I do not have much faith in Shane.  Smith missed a few holes to the end of the line, a lot of times he just wants to run into the middle.  Was not impressed with him.  Loved Butts, and the WRs but would like to see more of Bunting.  Oline was average at best but better than below average of previous years.  Defense was solid but missed way too many tackles because of technique and angles.  K could be shaky this year.  Harbaugh coached well he just does not have the personnel, of course.   However he needs to realize this and call for other plays in short yard situations. 

• I'm with Wolvy here.  Where is/was that awesome kicker who we recruited???

It was just game one.  In the first half our D had to remember how to tackle, but in the second half they really came together.

Isaac looked great, Smith looked......the wrong way when trying to find a hole, but I guess he put all of his trust into his blockers.

JR???  Overthrown passes were killing us.  For the long bombs, it looked as if Darboh was really concentrating on his routes....but remembered at the last second that the ball was to come his way.

This is a good Utah team who we really could have beaten.  We shot ourselves in the foot, with a new QB (same song, different QB....lol).  Maybe we could hire (an irate Bobby Knight) to sit with JR for 5 hours during the film session of this game.  I'm no QB.  At the same time, I'm confused as to how a 5th year QB still stares down his receivers.

These problems can be fixed with the staff that we have....but at least we had our Butt in the entire game (I had to do a Butt joke....sorry)

Go Blue.

• Oh yeah.....what's the deal with Drake Harris.  I was dying to see what he could do.

•  

And what was their hard on with Aj Williams getting the nod on 3rd downs? Smh

Of all the seasons we don't open with Eastern Michigan........lol 

• zjgm02  Posts: 1,785

1:21AM

If you hadda told me that the receivers woulda done a much better job than the running backs tonight, I woulda been surprised and also pretty sure we'd lost.  The WR core is better than I expected them to be.  Smith looks the same as he did last year, so he's either a monster on the practice field or everyone else stinks at RB. Ty Isaac looked better to mem in his limited touches.

The D played good enough to win...as long as their offense isn't Michigan. A pick 6 and another INT in FG range is minimum 10-point swing.

I'll be very interested to see if JH takes the extra practice time to re-build Rudock's confidence, or if he forces Shane's balls to finally drop.  Shane is obviously more talented, but Rudock had experience, and poise which didn't amount to a hell of a lot tonight.  If you go to Shane and he stinks, then you have 2 QBs without confidence.

Not an embarrassing loss on the road to a quality opponent with a senior QB and RB and pressure defense.  

This team will look a whole lot better at home next Saturday.

You said it all perfectly!

• On those 3rd downs, they were just resting their Butt (sorry......jsj gave me the alley-oop on that one!!)

• Uhhhh, SDBlue??  Do you have that "Portfolio" finished?  I, at least, need a little visual "pick-me-up".

Go Blue!!!

• Hey, since no one has said it yet, whaddya think of the uni's, in action?  Of course, I too can't wait until Nike and Jordan brand are back, but the '74-'75 retro uni's looked decent IMHO.

Go Blue.

• I agree with BHF-it was ONE game and the first game so I'm not going to jump up and down and rant about it.  The offensive play book is pretty small right now and the O line is still an issue but they came ready to play and played 60 minutes, something we haven't seen in 8 years.  The D line played well and Jordan Lewis is very solid so there were some decent things going on.  QB play was awful and how Smith can be the starting RB is mind boggling but this is pretty much what was expected.  We've got 2 years of this before we see returns on our investment so may as well relax and deal with it.  As for the uniforms, thought I'd hate them but they actually looked pretty decent.  Regardless of the outcome, I still liked seeing that guy in the block M hat, cleats, and the headset on, roaming the sideline like a maniac. We'll get there.

• NashVegasBlue said: You look at the schedule and hope you win UNLV, Indiana, Maryland on the other end MSU, Penn State, OSU are penciled in losses so 3-4, Minny looked much better despite losing two of their playmakers so I'd say 3-5, leaving 4 toss up games Rutgers, NW, Oregon State, and BYU..all at home

Now atleast to me Utah is a top 25 team and have a chance to compete in the pac 12 which this year i'd go as far as saying is a top 3 conference.. I think by the time we hit big 10 play we will look alot better. Assuming we do not lose next week to Oregon State or to BYU I think 8-4 or even 9-3 is a realistic outcome. QB play obviously needs to get better but the way michigans defence shut down a Potential First round running back shows me we have the defence to stay in the game vs anybody. its our offence that needs work and that will come with time. But if i'm a defensive recruit watching that game last night i'd loving it.

Love this new quote system btw

• Where have as fallen as a fan base that we are happy with kinda, sorta competing with a borderline top 25 Utah team?

Go Blue!!

• ScottsdaleBlue said:

Where have as fallen as a fan base that we are happy with kinda, sorta competing with a borderline top 25 Utah team?

Go Blue!!

The last 7 years have completely beat me down... 

•  

Am I pleased with the outcome last nigh? No

Am I worried about the rest of the season? No

It was the first time a coach was able to see his team in true game expereice. He will make adjustments now that he knows what he is working with.

Within a couple years, max, we WILL be back to "sure win games"

I'm not worried one bit.

• Scottsdale you have to admit they are much better coached than previous years. Under hoke they dont get 17 points or move the ball like they did. UM stopped themselves Utah didnt really stop them persay. Do I expect magic right away no. Infact Bo went 3-2 in '69 before righing the ship and beating OSU. I see this season eerily similar. This is only one game they will be fine moving forward.

Did I want a win of course did I see signs of vast improvement most def!

• But, Scottsdale, we haven't been right since our "Smoking Angel Dust" stages of Rich Rod and Brady Hoke.  If we were a ranked team and we lost like we did last night (and we were kinda okay with the loss), then I would be shocked with these responses.  Last year, I was happy that we could move the ball up the field so this is a major improvement from our drug-induced/drunken-master style of play we used in the past.

Like a previous poster stated, I feel bad for Oregon State now.  

• Well said TK and BHF, I too agree with what you said as well!!!

Sheesh.  Some people need to step away from the freaking ledge?!  Correct me if I'm wrong but how long has Jake Rudock had to develop a chemistry with his receivers?  How long has Jake Rudock had to learn the playbook?   Yes, the kid made some costly mistakes, but what are you expecting?  Tom freaking Brady?  He had to make his first start with a new team on the road in a hostile environment against a defense that led the nation in sacks a year ago and he's had all of a freaking month to try to get ready for that start?! 

BTW, I'm glad some of you think you suddenly know more than Harbaugh when it comes to managing the QB's on this football team?!  Personally, I'm glad he stuck with Ruddock after the pick six.  I'm glad we don't have a coach with an itchy trigger finger when it comes to pulling your QB.  I'm glad that Rudock got the chance to go out and drive the team down for a late td and didn't have to sit on having that negative play be his last memory of that football game.  I'm sure that Ruddock was saken with his performance and pulling him would have done nothing but damage his confidence going forward.  I like that Harbaugh allowed him to go back out there and finish at least finish the game on a positive note and I think that will pay dividends as we progress thru the season!

As Harbaugh said after the game, yes there were a lot of mistakes, but they were all TEACHABLE mistakes!  Mistakes that can be corrected by looking at film.  Mistakes that can be corrected by working to correct them in practice.  This team was not a championship contending team (even though it seems we were by the reactions I'm reading in here today).  This team was an 8-9 win team at best and losing last night does nothing to change that.  We still can go out and win 8 or 9 games despite all the doubting bridge jumpers in here thinking the sky is falling?!