UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UMGOBLUE.COM

Big 10 Media Days

[link=http://btn.com/2015/07/29/btn-has-you-covered-during-2015-big-ten-media-days/]http://btn.com/2015/07/29...15-big-ten-media-days/[/link]

[b]THURSDAY[/b]
Mark Dantonio, Michigan State – 1-1:15 p.m. ET
Tim Beckman, Illinois – 1:15-1:30 p.m. ET
Paul Chryst, Wisconsin – 1:30-1:45 p.m. ET
Randy Edsall, Maryland – 1:45-2 p.m. ET
Kevin Wilson, Indiana – 2-2:15 p.m. ET
Kirk Ferentz, Iowa – 2:15-2:30 p.m. ET
Urban Meyer, Ohio State – 2:30-2:45 p.m. ET

[b]FRIDAY[/b]
Jerry Kill, Minnesota – 9-9:15 a.m. ET
Jim Harbaugh, Michigan – 9:15-9:30 a.m. ET
Kyle Flood, Rutgers – 9:30-9:45 a.m. ET
Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern – 9:45-10 a.m. ET
Mike Riley, Nebraska – 10-10:15 a.m. ET
Darrell Hazell, Purdue – 10:15-10:30 a.m. ET
James Franklin, Penn State – 10:30-10:45 a.m. ET[/quote]

Go Blue!!

Comments

• [link=http://btn.com/2015/07/29/btn-has-you-covered-during-2015-big-ten-media-days/]http://btn.com/2015/07/29...15-big-ten-media-days/[/link]

THURSDAY
    Mark Dantonio, Michigan State – 1-1:15 p.m. ET
    Tim Beckman, Illinois – 1:15-1:30 p.m. ET
    Paul Chryst, Wisconsin – 1:30-1:45 p.m. ET
    Randy Edsall, Maryland – 1:45-2 p.m. ET
    Kevin Wilson, Indiana – 2-2:15 p.m. ET
    Kirk Ferentz, Iowa – 2:15-2:30 p.m. ET
    Urban Meyer, Ohio State – 2:30-2:45 p.m. ET

FRIDAY
    Jerry Kill, Minnesota – 9-9:15 a.m. ET
    Jim Harbaugh, Michigan – 9:15-9:30 a.m. ET
    Kyle Flood, Rutgers – 9:30-9:45 a.m. ET
    Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern – 9:45-10 a.m. ET
    Mike Riley, Nebraska – 10-10:15 a.m. ET
    Darrell Hazell, Purdue – 10:15-10:30 a.m. ET
    James Franklin, Penn State – 10:30-10:45 a.m. ET[/quote]

Go Blue!!
  • Tough act following, or preceding Harbaugh!
  • Harbaughs gonna set the tone for his tenure at Michigan tomorrow.

• Tough act following, or preceding Harbaugh!
    Must be why they sandwiched him between two coaches nobody was going to listen to anyway.  LOL
  • What did everyone think about Harbaugh this morning?

Go Blue!!
  • I watched for 15 minutes and found out he had dinner with Ditka last night, went to Paris with Stephanie over the summer, and calls ohio state ohio state. 

Those were the highlights.  LOL
  • Man, he hates talking with the media.  You can tell by his facial expressions and non verbal that he brissels at questions
  • vixblue wrote:

Man, he hates talking with the media.  You can tell by his facial expressions and non verbal that he brissels at questions
    He's pretty bad with the media, especially in a press conference open forum. His one on one interviews are slightly better depending on the interviewer but overall not great.

He needs to take a class or something.
  • I thought that was great. Makes you want more and more.
  • A guy from the Columbus dispatch asked him a question (I have no idea what the question was), and he went off on talking about Woody Hayes and sandwiches and reporters taking a bus to practices… LOL

Go Blue!!
  • luckily, he's there to coach football, not be a media darling.  Don't really care how his interviews come off as long as he's winning.
  • That's exactly what the commentators were saying. When Hoke got up to speak, all he would talk about was Michigan's tradition and history and championships etc. When Harbaugh speaks, all he cares about is coaching.

Go Blue!!
  • "I'm not striving to be creating any buzz, just striving to coach the football team," he said. "Anyone who is popular is bound to be disliked, so just coaching football."

Go Blue!!
  • WolvyMike wrote:

luckily, he's there to coach football, not be a media darling.  Don't really care how his interviews come off as long as he's winning.
    He's the public face of Michigan football. Dealing with the media is a requirement of the job and how you come off matters. Everyone has parts of their job that they hate, that doesn't give you a pass not to do them.

Harbaugh is adversarial with the media, which rarely works in a coaches favor.
  • WolvyMike wrote:

luckily, he's there to coach football, not be a media darling.  Don't really care how his interviews come off as long as he's winning.
    He's the public face of Michigan football. Dealing with the media is a requirement of the job and how you come off matters. Everyone has parts of their job that they hate, that doesn't give you a pass not to do them.

And somehow the guy still finds a way to land on the front page of ESPN… Haha

[link=http://m.espn.go.com/mobile/apps/reg/login?app=ffl&returnURL=http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13352850/michigan-wolverines-coach-jim-harbaugh-says-want-popular]http://m.espn.go.com/mobi...augh-says-want-popular[/link]

Go Blue!!
  • Actually it doesn't matter how Harbaugh deals with the media, or how he comes off, not at all. All he has to do is win. If he wins at s high level no one is going to care how he deals with the media or how he comes off.

Athletics is not your average job. If he was working in an office and came off like he does, yeah it would be a problem. But with coaching? Nah. As long as you win, and win a lot, no one cares about much else.
  • I wouldn't call vanilla answers and going off topic "adversarial."  If he starts cussing out reporters and calling them stupid and saying their questions are stupid, well then it could be a problem.

The public face of Michigan football's first priority should be W's in the win column.  Not kissing some dudes ass from the Columbus Dispatch.  Just sayin
  • Ok, was able to watch my taping of Jim today. What exactly was bad about the way he was? Did he give a whole bunch of info? No. But he was pleasant and had a few jokes.
  • There wasn't anything wrong with it.  It was a typical JH interview from what I've seen.  Kind of aloof.  Some silly answers.  A sprinkling of actual answers.  And an enthusiasm unknown to mankind.

It probably bothers some people that he's not up there handing out info about the team.  I'd rather he keep everything close to the vest.

But those reporters were awful as well.  You can only do so much with the questions that are asked.  The best answer was about the running game and how he wants to see 1-3 guys separate themselves from the field.  It's amazing what happens when you ask an actual question about football.  Not some stupid question like "I saw on your twitter feed you went to Paris.  Why was that?"

WTF.......Is that a serious question?
  • Is it September 3rd yet??????????

• WolvyMike wrote:

Since when did being kind of aloof become being adversarial?  And since when does it matter how a coach deals with the media?  Is there a direct correlation between how a coach can't be successful unless he coddles to the media and kisses their a$$es?  I don't think Saban is especially warm and fuzzy with the media and he seems to do just fine. 

I could care less about how Harbaugh comes off in interviews.  He's a football coach and all I care about is what he produces from a wins and losses perspective, not if he wins the battle of public opinion...

• The number of elite coaches who couldn't deal with the media is endless, including Bo and Woody.  If you win they'll all be kissing your a$$ (like Bo and Woody) so that's the only part I care about.  75% of these guys ask stupid questions to begin with and then wonder why they get stupid answers.  People think Harbaugh is nuts but it's pretty obvious a lot of this is calculated.  He plays with these guys and it drives them crazy but again, what happens on that field is the #1 priority for this job.  This kind of stuff doesn't move the needle.  
  • [link=http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/07/31/jim-harbaugh-michigan-wolverines-big-10-media-days-shane-morris-mike-ditka]http://www.si.com/college...hane-morris-mike-ditka[/link]
    There is very little value in media day prophecies. Michigan’s new coach set himself apart by essentially refusing to say much at all, all the way down to acknowledging he had a working group of five starting offensive linemen while declining to identify who they were. Implicit in every non-answer Harbaugh delivered Friday was an utter inability to blow smoke up everyone’s rear just to play along. If we compare this to the last two Michigan coaches to parade through this annual July rite, Harbaugh essentially represents the best parts of his predecessors, without the flaws that would doom them.

Like Rich Rodriguez, he is a good coach inclined to straightforward appraisals; unlike Rodriguez, Harbaugh has belief and patience on his side. Like Brady Hoke, Harbaugh has history with the school. Unlike Hoke—whose obnoxious 2011 media day ad hominem answer “We’re Michigan” is still a forehead-slapper—Harbaugh evidently prefers to let production tell the story. If this approach pervades the program already, all the better for the Wolverines.

“Jim and I think about what’s good for Michigan,” interim athletic director Jim Hackett said Friday. “What’s good for Michigan is to earn its rightful place by its performance. Not by decree. Not arrogantly reminding everybody about it. You have to earn it. I’ve got a lot of confidence we can do that. But we still aren’t there yet.”

That’s a perfectly stinging rebuke to the bluster that blew through Ann Arbor in the years preceding Harbaugh’s return.

This provides a point of view into what we have been debating....

What you say?

Go Blue!!
  • yikes.  Whether Hackett meant to or not, that quote is a pretty good shot at Hoke