Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UMGOBLUE.COM

Night Game

Just posted on M-Live
[link=http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2015/04/michigan_will_not_host_a_home.html]http://www.mlive.com/wolv...l_not_host_a_home.html[/link]

Comments

• So we go from the possibility of having two night games this year to none? What gives! We should have a night game (or more) every single year! I don't care who it is. It doesn't have to be sure me great match up every year. Why not open with Oregon state? Or BYU?

I'm also so sick of Michigan dodging hosting MSU or OSU at night for "safety." The SEC plays their biggest games at night and those fans are insane at each other. We should be the school to host those games at night first instead of following others. You watch, next year MSU is going to make the Michigan game a night game. Then we will follow suit the following year.

We are taking steps towards being The Leaders again, but we still have ways to go.
  • The OSU game is way too traditional to ever be a night game. Plus, at that time of year it could get a little dicey for those of us who have a fair piece to travel after the game.
  • I'm pretty sure osu is forbidden from being a night game by big ten rules. Conference doesn't allow night games in November. Unless that's changed?
  • Hackett explained how it became somewhat difficult to find the right spot for a nighttime contest at Michigan Stadium. He didn't want the home-opener against Oregon State to be at night. He didn't want to host Ohio State at night in late November either.

And, when it came to possibly hosting Michigan State in prime time, Hackett expressed concerns over overall safety due to what's usually an abnormally large turnout -- with East Lansing and Ann Arbor sitting roughly 70 miles apart.

"I think, in our future, who can be in and out of consideration will be an open book," Hackett said earlier this month. "What I'd like to do is to get a strategy for whomever's here, to make sure it's a safe moment. Michigan State presents some unique challenges because of the proximity of the campuses. We could end up with us up there at night or them down here at night with a sea of people being part of the game, and that puts pressure on the safety system.

That's such bullsh*t.... Stop telling me about the labor pains and start showing me the baby. This is ridiculous!

Go Blue!!
  • don't care, just win the games whatever dam time they kickoff at.  That's what I care about.
  • There is no longer a conference rule making November games off limits for a night kickoff.

I don't get it. How is having the kickoff at 8 anymore of a safety issue than a 3:30? Like I dsud the SEC has been doing night games as their fans are crazy. LSU eye NEVER think of not having the Bama game at night. It is such a home field advantage and we are p!@sing it away. Who are we going to play at night next year? Wigan BOTH our rivals come off the home schedule again. Oh, Penn State agsin? Fantastic

And really? The campuses are too close for it to be MSU?!

Hackett has done a great job since coming on board but he dropped the ball on this one.
  • WolvyMike wrote:

don't care, just win the games whatever dam time they kickoff at.  That's what I care about.
    Thank you!  I could not care less.  F'k the night games-just win.
  • The 2004 "Braylon Edwards" game was a 4:30pm kickoff and went to two overtimes, so it ended just before 8:30pm. There was not one issue that I heard about taking place postgame.

We've have Notre Dame here twice at 8:00pm. Just as much could go wrong involving fans after that game and didn't......the University can stop feeding us the unruly chaos line. 
  • TK23Blue wrote:
    WolvyMike wrote:

don't care, just win the games whatever dam time they kickoff at.  That's what I care about.

I'll third that nomination!
  • uferfan wrote:

The 2004 "Braylon Edwards" game was a 4:30pm kickoff and went to two overtimes, so it ended just before 8:30pm. There was not one issue that I heard about taking place postgame.

We've have Notre Dame here twice at 8:00pm. Just as much could go wrong involving fans after that game and didn't......the University can stop feeding us the unruly chaos line. 
    It's a cop out all the way. We didn't have any night games for the longest time and the BS reasons were, oh we don't have lights, oh it would strain parking.

Give me a break. If LSU and Alabama can play at night, there's no legitimate reason why Michigan-Michigan State can't play at night.

Leaders and Best my a$$!
  • TrueBlue wrote:
    TK23Blue wrote:
    WolvyMike wrote:

That's great and and you could respond to every single post with that answer so might as well not respond to any threads until September.

What's the point in having a discussion if you're going to respond that way?

Go Blue!!
  • Michigan hasn't been a Leader since Canham was in charge. He took risks. He was the first in many areas. Other schools watched Michigan and then followed our lead. Since he left, Michigan hasn't taken any risks, or tried anything new. We sit on our hands and we are even reluctant to try things that long ago have become established norms. We were one of the last (maybe the last?) school to actually host a night game. Then we have to make it some grand spectacle.

The first one, ok, I understand. It was a first. Let's celebrate it and make it a big deal. But since then? Why does it have to be some giant event? We are the only school, that I know of, that makes s night game seem like the super bowl.

• Michigan hasn't been a Leader since Canham was in charge. He took risks. He was the first in many areas. Other schools watched Michigan and then followed our lead. Since he left, Michigan hasn't taken any risks, or tried anything new. We sit on our hands and we are even reluctant to try things that long ago have become established norms. We were one of the last (maybe the last?) school to actually host a night game. Then we have to make it some grand spectacle.

The first one, ok, I understand. It was a first. Let's celebrate it and make it a big deal. But since then? Why does it have to be some giant event? We are the only school, that I know of, that makes s night game seem like the super bowl.

Yeah, but technically, couldn't you say the same about DB? He tried new things; he just failed miserably. What made Canham successful, but DB fail?
  • TrueBlue wrote:
    TK23Blue wrote:
    WolvyMike wrote:

That's great and and you could respond to every single post with that answer so might as well not respond to any threads until September.

Go Blue!!

OK.  I'll watch the game from home regardless if it's kicked off at noon, 3:30, or at night.  When they play the game has little effect on what I want the outcome to be. That's my opinion on time of kickoffs and night games
  • WolvyMike wrote:
    TrueBlue wrote:
    TK23Blue wrote:
    WolvyMike wrote:

Go Blue!!

OK.  I'll watch the game from home regardless if it's kicked off at noon, 3:30, or at night.  When they play the game has little effect on what I want the outcome to be. That's my opinion on time of kickoffs and night games
    A lot of things have no impact on the outcome fans discuss at length.
  • I agree that this issue we seem to have with night games (and share with no other program apparently) is pretty lame (and the excuses even lamer) but again, for now just give me some wins.  On the list of complaints we have right now nothing else comes close, including night games.
  • yes, playing the game at night isn't going to improve our offensive line or magically make our QB woes go away.
  • I have been to both day and night games at Clemson (my former favorite team). Everything is much more intense and more fun in the night games, largely because you have more hours of festivities leading up to the game and the fun ends later.
  • Guru03 wrote:

I have been to both day and night games at Clemson (my former favorite team). Everything is much more intense and more fun in the night games, largely because you have more hours of festivities leading up to the game and the fun ends later.
    OK, I'll bite:  What happened on April 18th, 2015?
  • ^^^ ok I'll bite too........what happened on April 18 2015?
  • jsj_297 wrote:

^^^ ok I'll bite too........what happened on April 18 2015?
    Well, Guru03?  What's the story?
  • Again with the gay jokes zjgm02. STOP IT.
  • Lol at bhf's sensitivity. Quite sad
  • Looks like it was deleted anyway and I don't want to derail this thread, but needling somebody in that way is really only insulting if you're homophobic.
  • I originally was not going to discuss the circumstances but I will since you guys asked me how it came to be. I went to the college football hall of fame in Atlanta and when I was seeing Michigan highlights and gameday videos, I felt something inside of me pulling for them. That's how I became a Michigan fan. I had dumped Clemson early into the 2014 season (I became a Clemson fan in 2011) and I spent the rest of the 2014 season without a favorite team.
    Guru03 wrote:

I have been to both day and night games at Clemson (my former favorite team). Everything is much more intense and more fun in the night games, largely because you have more hours of festivities leading up to the game and the fun ends later.
    OK, I'll bite:  What happened on April 18th, 2015?

• Guru03 wrote:

I originally was not going to discuss the circumstances but I will since you guys asked me how it came to be.
    The likelihood of any poster asking you about it would've been about 0 if you didn't put the date in your sig.