Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UMGOBLUE.COM

Official Michigan Spring Game Thread

We'll be seeing an official Spring Game at Michigan stadium today for the first time in forever.

It's East v. West; Maize v. Blue

The weather is pretty good out here. Chilly in the 40s, but no rain in the forecast and a great day to tailgate.

What do you expect (and or want) to see today?

OFFENSE:
How will the OL perform?
Who stands out at RB?
Do we have some skill guys that can make plays?
Will there be a QB who separated themselves going into the summer?

DEFENSE:
Can we get pressure with our front 4?
How do the LBs move laterally and do we have a replacement for Ryan?
Do we see a lot of man coverage and do we have guys that can cover?
How does Peppers perform?

Go Blue!!

Comments

• We'll be seeing an official Spring Game at Michigan stadium today for the first time in forever.

It's East v. West; Maize v. Blue

The weather is pretty good out here. Chilly in the 40s, but no rain in the forecast and a great day to tailgate.

What do you expect (and or want) to see today?

OFFENSE:
    How will the OL perform?
    Who stands out at RB?
    Do we have some skill guys that can make plays?
    Will there be a QB who separated themselves going into the summer?

DEFENSE:
    Can we get pressure with our front 4?
    How do the LBs move laterally and do we have a replacement for Ryan?
    Do we see a lot of man coverage and do we have guys that can cover?
    How does Peppers perform?

Go Blue!!
  • Will we be able to run the ball? And if we can, does it say more about our defense or our O-Line?
  • Im expecting to learn more about Harbaughs coaching style than anything about our O or D
  • I'd love to see all the QBs play really well and build from there.  Ideally, you want someone to win the starting job rather than it going to the guy who's the least likely to hurt the team with bad decisions.

And good O-line play, always want to see strong O-line play.
  • Just got home from the game. Great turnout for the game, but the defense is 10 steps ahead of the offense which is no surprise. Harbaugh named Morris the leader at this point, but I'm positive that'll change come season time in September.
  • I liked the press coverage from the secondary. We have said we would play that before but then we never would. This staff looks like they mean it. Secondary was aggressive all game long.

Hard to judge to O-Line wuth the startes being split up. Mia of the time it looked like there were no holes but a few times they opened up gaping holes. I thought our RBs missed some holes-surprise surprise.

Speaking of the RBs I thought Smith and Shallman were the best runners. Too bad Issac was too banged up to play, I really want to see what he can bring.

QBs...interesting that it was Morris and Malzone the whole way. Thought Shane showed glimpses throughout the game but missed a lot as well. Malzone looked like a kid who should be in High School which I think we all expected. A red shirt would probably do him well. But today just showed why I think Ruddock will walk in and be the starter this season.

Nice to see an actual game!
  • At this point, Morris should be head-and-shoulders above Malzone.  Unfortunately, he doesn't appear to be.

BTN. com has Malzone at 95 passing yards on 27 attempts, so I guess they played things very safe for him.  He had nice touch on that pass that Watson stole from the receiver, so you can't really blame him on that.
  • The worst part is, that we don't have a playmaker at receiver. I hope someone emerges but I'm not sure
  • Morris doesn't appear to be to be head and shoulders above Malzone? Did you watch the spring game? I don't think Morris will be the starter but he is clearly better than Malzone at this point.
  • both qb's look atleast a year off which for Morris basically means RIP his career cause Jake Rudock will probably win the starting job this year and Malzone will probably redshirt and next year if malzone or Zack Gentry (who I feel fit our system better than either of them) developes morris will be Bellamy 2.0 
  • The Morris criticism has reached ridiculous levels. I'm not saying he is good by any means, but there is no way you could have watched that spring game and not walk away thinking he is way better than Malzone. It's like people can't find any positives in Shane's game just because he has not lived up to expectations at this point. 
  • It's the romance of the unknown. You see this all the time with backup QBs and goalies. The unknown is always better than the know. We've seen the known. We know what they can do. But the unknown? Oh he could be phenomenal because he hasn't proven otherwise.

To write off Morris as this point is ridiculous. Could he very well be a career backup here? Absolutely. But he could also just as easily be the starter. Why? Because I believe in Jim Harbaugh's ability to coach up a QB. Just look at what he did with Alex Smith.

• The Morris criticism has reached ridiculous levels. I'm not saying he is good by any means, but there is no way you could have watched that spring game and not walk away thinking he is way better than Malzone.
    No one said Morris isn't better, at least as far as I've read.  Of course he's better right now.  My point is that a QB who's in his third year in the program should be considerably better than a kid in his third month in the program.  Morris wasn't even 50% yesterday.

I'm clearly behind Morris being the man this season, but I'd like to be basing that on more than just hope at this point.

• The Morris criticism has reached ridiculous levels. I'm not saying he is good by any means, but there is no way you could have watched that spring game and not walk away thinking he is way better than Malzone. It's like people can't find any positives in Shane's game just because he has not lived up to expectations at this point. 
    he is better than malzone a 3rd year player barely ahead of a true freshman. 

He is not however better than Jake Rudock's stats from the last year. and Unless Rudock comes onto campus and completely drops the ball he will not have much competition from what we saw in that spring game.
  • [link=http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2015/04/column_jim_harbaughs_offense_h.html#incart_related_stories]http://www.mlive.com/wolv...incart_related_stories[/link]
    Harbaugh's first spring game as Michigan's head coach offered insight into where the team is at in many areas. Several spots on the field -- notably on offense -- have a long way to go.

The biggest takeaway from Saturday, and throughout the past six weeks, is that the seeds of the culture change Michigan's program so desperately needed have been firmly planted.

Holes have been dug, dirt has been moved, water has been poured. Harbaugh's culture of competition has arrived, and it will serve as the backbone of his program for however long he opts to remain in Ann Arbor.

Go Blue!!
  • Neither QB looked like a Big 10 starter yesterday IMO. For Malzone that's not an issue, he should be in high school. For Shane, going into his third year, it kinda is. People are sitting around waiting for a lightbulb to go off that never will IMO. The lack of explosive playmakers on offense doesn't help.

Onto the good, Joe Bolden and Desmond Morgan both looked like All-Big Ten players. The strength of the team may finally be the LBer core. Some of the defensive linemen finally showed the flashes we've been waiting for, Hurst, Lawrence Marshall, and Mone all did some great things.

The secondary is hard to judge, they made a lot of plays but with such an anemic passing game and limited "stretch" WRs who knows how good they actually are. For now, it looks like we should get more production out of that group. Delano Hill was everywhere!
  • zjgm02 wrote:

At this point, Morris should be head-and-shoulders above Malzone.  Unfortunately, he doesn't appear to be.

BTN. com has Malzone at 95 passing yards on 27 attempts, so I guess they played things very safe for him.  He had nice touch on that pass that Watson stole from the receiver, so you can't really blame him on that.

I think the best comment I heard was on 97.1 on the way home from the game.  The questions was "What is the best/worst scenario for Michigan next year"

Caller said, Best Rudock comes in and is able to start, worst any one of those two QB's today plays at all next year".

• I still think Morris can be the guy, but he needs to have some things go his way and build from there.
  • Jimmy said his best take away from the spring and spring game were his team didn't suffer any major injuries...that's certainly a good thing, but also means nothing else stood out to him as very successful this spring.

Go Blue!!
  • Disagree. During Hackett's meeting with the press he was saying the difference between the first day of practice and the game was phenomenal. Harbaugh had to establish an attitude with this team. They needed to toughen up mentally and become more aggressive and develop a chip. From all accounts that has started, a few desperately needed that change.

Also, with the amount of injuries we have had in spring practice the past 8 years I'd say getting through the spring without a major injury is huge.
  • someone said shane has only had a couple of starts so give him a break I said what did you think of Cardale Jones after 2 starts.... hey sometimes the all-american high school stud doesn't pan out in college....
  • Your right, we should really just cut Shane.
  • I am not putting much stock into the offenses during the spring game. The QBs were working behind patchwork offensive lines and throwing to receivers they haven't gotten their timing down with. Defenses are always ahead of offenses this time of year. What I will say about the offenses though is that the receivers needs to catch the damn ball. 2 of the 3 INTs in the game should have been caught by receivers.
  • Let's just send Dennis Norfleet to the other schools we play each week and have him suit up vs us.  Shane looked great when he was back in coverage.  LMAO
  • I hope the 2015 spring game is not the only win of Morris' career.
  • zjgm02 wrote:

I hope the 2015 spring game is not the only win of Morris' career.
    LMAO, that's funny.

I hope it's not either. I have my doubts about Shane but I`m actually rooting for him to win the job. IMO it's in Michigan's best interest for Shane to live up to the hype, be a 2yr starter, then hand the reigns over to the next guy in 2017. Also, thanks to his arm, Shane's upside is higher than the other QBs on the roster.

Whether it happens or not we`ll see.....
  • zjgm02 wrote:

I hope the 2015 spring game is not the only win of Morris' career.
    The way he celebrated after it was over, I fear he thinks it will be.
  • All this worrying and hand-wringing over Morris and our QB's is a bit much and a bit premature.  It's April.  The only thing that matters is what they look like in September.  Of course, since we haven't had a coach that could coach a QB to save his life in the last several years, I totally get the paranoia.  It's well-earned.  But if there is anyone that can coach up our QB's it's Harbaugh and given some time you can bet that's what he'll do so I'm not overly worried.  Morris should be fine and should get a little better each week as we move along and if not him, somebody else.  
  • I'm scared to death of the Thursday night opener vs Utah...we could very easily get the doors blown off us on national TV.

Now, that would no doubt take any/all momentum and steam built up this off-season with the Harbaugh hire right out of the sails.

Go Blue!!