Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UMGOBLUE.COM

Super Bowl Thread

Comments

• My personal list (does not include Otto Graham....drastically different era so cant really compare)
    1. Brady
    2. Montana
    3. Peyton
    4. Unitas
    5. Elway
    6. Marino
    7. Warner (admittedly this is a homer pick)
    8. Staubach
    9. Aikman (just because of the rings)
    10. Bradshaw (again because of the rings)
  • Someone post a pic of Sherman's face after the INT please. I can't get enough of it! I wonder how he can throw his Stanford degree in our faces to avenge his giant b**ch face..
  • Unitas
    Montana
    Brady
    Elway
    Manning
    Marino
    Bradshaw
    Staubach
    Favre
    Baugh

• Somebody's already added to it.

jXVzFzZ.gif
  • You can actually see the compression in his chest as all the air came out of his lungs, as his hopes and dreams were ripped from his egotistical heart..
  • Maize927 wrote:

My personal list (does not include Otto Graham....drastically different era so cant really compare)
    1. Brady
    2. Montana
    3. Peyton
    4. Unitas
    5. Elway
    6. Marino
    8. Staubach
    I forgot about warner, I'd put him in front of Peyton. Greatest show on turf!

• Worst play call I've ever seen in a Super Bowl.  Ha ha!  Watching Petey puke and Sherman cry made the entire game for me.  (After yet another miracle catch Brady & Co. deserved this one.)
  • jsj_297 wrote:
    Maize927 wrote:

My personal list (does not include Otto Graham....drastically different era so cant really compare)
    1. Brady
    2. Montana
    3. Peyton
    4. Unitas
    5. Elway
    6. Marino
    8. Staubach
    I forgot about warner, I'd put him in front of Peyton. Greatest show on turf!
    I want to put him as high as #2 (he had my Cards 1 minute away from winning a Super Bowl) but I cant do it honestly cant do it. Unfortunately he had a few meh seasons stuffed inside several great seasons. 
  • As far as Peyton is concerned….
    A start to the list of the QBs with at least 10 starts in the Playoffs with better records than Manning and at least 1 title. 
    Brady, Montana, Bradshaw, Elway, Farve, Staubach Roethlisberger, Flacco, Starr, Warner, Plunkett, Manning (eli), Young, Stabler. Simms, Rodgers, Griese, Brees.
  • Yes Peyton doesn't sniff my top ten, his bro does. He's an honorable mention. On my list.
  • Am I the only one who thinks that the call to pass on 2nd down wasn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be? The defender made a great play. Browner jammed his man and didn't allow the rub. Pete Carrol is thinking that if he passes on second down, he still has a chance to run the ball twice with no time left on the clock. If he runs on second down, he likely only gets time for two run plays anyway. Hindsight is 20/20, but I just think they need to give the defense more credit for making the play.
  • LBC-blue wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks that the call to pass on 2nd down wasn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be? The defender made a great play. Browner jammed his man and didn't allow the rub. Pete Carrol is thinking that if he passes on second down, he still has a chance to run the ball twice with no time left on the clock. If he runs on second down, he likely only gets time for two run plays anyway. Hindsight is 20/20, but I just think they need to give the defense more credit for making the play.

The more I think about it the more I understand the thought process.... you run on the play and get stuffed then you have to throw on 3rd down really.  The were giving season stats for the Seahawks and they havn't been great at punching it up the middle... Lynch had 5 attempts from the 1 with only 1 TD for the year. 
  • LBC-blue wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks that the call to pass on 2nd down wasn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be? The defender made a great play. Browner jammed his man and didn't allow the rub. Pete Carrol is thinking that if he passes on second down, he still has a chance to run the ball twice with no time left on the clock. If he runs on second down, he likely only gets time for two run plays anyway. Hindsight is 20/20, but I just think they need to give the defense more credit for making the play.

The more I think about it the more I understand the thought process.... you run on the play and get stuffed then you have to throw on 3rd down really.  The were giving season stats for the Seahawks and they havn't been great at punching it up the middle... Lynch had 5 attempts from the 1 with only 1 TD for the year. 
    From 1 yds out the Patriots were 5 for 6, for letting them score from 1 yd out.
  • swoosh wrote:
    LBC-blue wrote:

From 1 yds out the Patriots were 5 for 6, for letting them score from 1 yd out.

Pete Carroll isn't thinking (of course) that the ball would be intercepted. The pass play at the end of the first half was an easy TD. Wilson hadn't thrown an INT all game. There was no reason to think it would be different on this play. At the worst, he was thinking an incomplete pass would stop the clock and he still had a timeout after trying a run on 3rd down.

Damn I hate defending Pete Carroll!

• As far as Peyton is concerned….
    A start to the list of the QBs with at least 10 starts in the Playoffs with better records than Manning and at least 1 title. 
    Brady, Montana, Bradshaw, Elway, Farve, Staubach Roethlisberger, Flacco, Starr, Warner, Plunkett, Manning (eli), Young, Stabler. Simms, Rodgers, Griese, Brees.

We all know he sucks in the playoffs. That is no surprise.

Go Blue!!
  • LBC-blue wrote:

Seattle had 2 timeouts, they could have run the ball 3 straight times if they had chosen to. Assuming each run play would have taken 10 seconds off the clock, getting stopped on 2nd down would have left them with 16 seconds, another run and stop leaves them with 6 seconds. That's assuming they run every play as well. Seattle went away from their strength, got cute, and they paid for it.

It was a great play by Butler but he never should have been given the opportunity.
  • Plus after the Lynch run they let the clock run from 1:00 to 25 seconds.
  • LBC-blue wrote:

Seattle had 2 timeouts, they could have run the ball 3 straight times if they had chosen to. Assuming each run play would have taken 10 seconds off the clock, getting stopped on 2nd down would have left them with 16 seconds, another run and stop leaves them with 6 seconds. That's assuming they run every play as well. Seattle went away from their strength, got cute, and they paid for it.

It was a great play by Butler but he never should have been given the opportunity.

That's not true. They used a time out before Lynch ran the ball on first down. For the second down play, they only had one time out left.
  • I was suprised NE didn't call a timeout, when it appeared obvious they would walk in for a TD that last play.....I know it would have been minimal time left, but Seattle score with 26 to end first half.
  • It was a stupid call.  Period.  You give the ball to Lynch 3 straight times if necessary.  Or you get Wilson outside the pocket where he makes plays or you throw the back shoulder or fade.  You do ANYTHING but what Petey did.  The play was completely telegraphed and in a sh** load of traffic.  It was the worst call in the history of the Super Bowl.
  • BRADSHAW!  - Not the greatest quarterback of all-time, but certainly the greatest big-game quarterback.  4 Super Bowls in 6 years.  Plus, Bradshaw had to call his own plays and deal with different pass defense rules that did not cater to the WR, like in today's game.  His final seven Super Bowl touchdown passes went for an average of 44.6 yards.  Brady, in all of his greatness, needs about 22 completions to get 40 yards.

• He also had two WRs named Swan and Stallworth plus a HOF RB named Harris.
  • All great QB's have great players with them, I have been very dissapointed that Terry Bradshaw has not been in this topic of conversation so thank you blue steel for reminding people of his greatness. Joe blow Montana had jerry rice and Dwight Clark roger Craig etc etc. Tom has done it with different WR and RB's over his career and let's not forget that the two SB losses the pats had the lead as Brady drove them down the field only to have a couple of Giants make unfrickenbelievable catches to set up said losses. For all the Brady haters outside of this site well they'll never think he is the goat...oh well just like my favorite QB from the 70's Tom doesn't care he can just flash his 4 rings and tell those peeps to piss off
  • umgoblue14 wrote:
    He also had two WRs named Swan and Stallworth plus a HOF RB named Harris.

Unitas had three HOFers to throw to as well: Raymond Berry, Lenny Moore, and John Mackey

What great QB didn't have a great supporting cast?  Montana had Rice/Taylor/Clark, John Elway had the Three Amigos, Roger Staubach had Dupree/Pearson/Dorsett. etc...  It comes with the territory.

• I think that was my point. Sorry I did not clarify it better.
  • TK23Blue wrote:

It was a stupid call.  Period.  You give the ball to Lynch 3 straight times if necessary.  Or you get Wilson outside the pocket where he makes plays or you throw the back shoulder or fade.  You do ANYTHING but what Petey did.  The play was completely telegraphed and in a sh** load of traffic.  It was the worst call in the history of the Super Bowl.

Giving the ball to Lynch seems obvious. But consider this:

There are 57 RBs with at least 20 carries from the 1-yard line.

Fewest career touchdowns per attempt from the 1-yard line
    Back Att. TD Rate
    Ron Dayne 21 7 33.3
    Matt Forte 34 12 35.3
    Steven Jackson 43 16 37.2
    Marshawn Lynch 35 15 42.9
    Edgerrin James 68 30 44.1
    Travis Henry 22 10 45.4

Lynch is not THAT great from the 1-yard line, only 3 have been worse. Especially considering that the Patriots put a goal line defense in specifically to stop Lynch.

Of course they could have run a play-action pass, or rolled Wilson out. But the call for a receiver to rub off a defender is logical to me. Browner jammed him and didn't let it happen. The Patriots prepared well for that particular play. Hats off of them.