UMGOBLUE.COM

Michigan football contracts Korn Ferry firm to aid in coaching search

13

Comments

  • Jabes0623 wrote:

    I read somewhere Korn Ferry will be paid between $80K-$250K (that's quite a gulf) for their services. It appears I got in the wrong business. Hell I'll do Korn Ferry's work right now...

    1. Jim Harbaugh
    2. Bobby Petrino
    3. Sean Payton
    4. John Harbaugh
    5. Tom Herman
    6. If you cant get or choose not to hire anyone from the above list you are a moron & need to resign your post immediately.

    Where's my check?

    Herman is the new HC at Houston.

    Go Blue!!
  • TK23Blue wrote:
    Yes, as long as they're not a convicted felon they should be in strong consideration for the Michigan job because a rap sheet should be our standard.  Perfect.  Harbaugh is the best COACH and best fit for the job. PERIOD.  And it has nothing to do with the Michigan Man myth.  You want Petrino-we get it.  You've used incorrect win-loss records and faulty comparisons to prove...what, we're not sure...and now you want to shout at the rain that since Petrino hasn't been convicted of anything or caught by the NCAA he should be the next coach.  And we're proving YOUR point?  LOL.  But you did have one thing right-this is where we're leaving this one.

    I understand you're a little upset that I went & proved how Petrino is a better Coach with facts after your big [8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|] post. It's ok. And I do apology for leaving Harbaugh's time at SDSU off the records I listed, clearly success at SDSU is an infallible predictor of future success at UM[8|][8|][8|][8|][8|]*cough* Brady Hoke *cough*...[:)]
     
    However where I do agree with you is Harbaugh isn't just the best fit, he's the only fit. It appears Harbaugh is the only guy most UM fans are going to stand behind & support. So they damn well better get Harbaugh hired because if not it appears whomever else might take this job will be doomed to failure just like RR was & we'll be doomed to another decade just like this one. Only time will tell for sure, but lets hope I'm not back here 4 years from now saying "I told you so" like I could be doing right now after correctly calling for the firing of Hoke after last season. Which I got flamed for as well btw[:)]
     
    Anyway we're letting this one go so...
     
     
  • FYI,
    Jim did not coach at SDSU.
    He coached at the University of San Diego.
    Two different Schools.
  • Jabes0623 wrote:


    So is this where we're leaving this one? I prove my point with facts, I ask you all to show me crimes convicted of or NCAA sanctions & you got nothing other than a few really bad personal choices to point to.
     
    What point did you prove?  You clearly said "a case could be made for both."  Nobody said Petrino wasn't a good coach.  But if you stand two coaches side by side with similar win/loss records, most people are going to choose the one with a seemingly better moral high ground.
     
     
    All you guys are doing is proving my point, you'd rather be some long lost ideal than a winner. Which is fine, I don't begrudge you your right to feel that way. We ran RR out of town because he wasn't a "Michigan Man" & refused to do things the way the old breed wanted him to. But he was & is a winner. We ran BRadio out of town because he was a bumbling stooge who couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. But he certainly was a Michigan Man & did things the right way. You guys want your cake & want to eat it to, it doesn't work that way in the real world, & as long as that attitude persists we'll continue to be what we have been. Mediocre. 
     
    this diatribe would make more sense if it was four years ago and you were describing Brady Hoke.  The FACT of the matter is, Jim Harbaugh is a winner.  It's been proven by his overall record in both the NFL and on the collegiate level.  Him being a Michigan alum is more of a bonus IMO. 
     
    The definition of insanity is to continue to do the same thing over & over & expect a different result. Nobody does or wants anything on earth done the way it was in 1986, except UM Football. You boys had better pray Harbaugh comes & is the savior you think he is because with you guys being very reflective of the UM fan base & their attitude if I was an elite coach I wouldn't touch UM with a 10ft pole, & thus far we've been turned down by them all through 2 coaching searches.
     
    Jim Harbaugh wasn't a coach in 1986.  You seem stuck on this thought that people want a quarterback from the 80's to come coach football.  We don't.  We want the best coach available who also kicked a$$ on both the collegiate and NFL level. And he's been doing it for the past decade.
     


    [/quote]

  • Jabes0623 wrote:
    I understand you're a little upset that I went & proved how Petrino is a better Coach with facts after your big [8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|] post. It's ok. And I do apology for leaving Harbaugh's time at SDSU off the records I listed, clearly success at SDSU is an infallible predictor of future success at UM[8|][8|][8|][8|][8|]*cough* Brady Hoke *cough*...[:)]
     
    For someone who keeps using 'facts' to back up their arguments, you sure do seem get yours wrong quite often... [8|]

  • Jabes0623 wrote:
    I understand you're a little upset that I went & proved how Petrino is a better Coach with facts after your big [8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|] post. It's ok. And I do apology for leaving Harbaugh's time at SDSU off the records I listed, clearly success at SDSU is an infallible predictor of future success at UM[8|][8|][8|][8|][8|]*cough* Brady Hoke *cough*...[:)]

    For someone who keeps using 'facts' to back up their arguments, you sure do seem get yours wrong quite often... [8|]
    He's the Sarah Palin of this board.
  • Jabes is spot on with the JH is "the only fit". He meets 99.999% of what M needs right now.

    I can feel the love by all abound.

  • FYI,
    Jim did not coach at SDSU.
    He coached at the University of San Diego.
    Two different Schools.

    Good Lord it wasn't even SDSU????? Here I was thinking I'd failed to give him credit for his work at a D-1 school. I've never even heard of San Diego University.
     
    So Stanford is his only coaching experience that would be relevant to this conversation. Thanks for clearing that up.
     
  • If Western Kentucky is relevant for Petrino, then San Diego is relevant for Harbaugh.
  • How about a different thought to make  everyone go hhhhhmmmmmmmmmm ?
    Tommy Tuberville ?? Anyone, anyone, Buehler ?
  • WolvyMike wrote:

    If Western Kentucky is relevant for Petrino, then San Diego is relevant for Harbaugh.
    Lol for any further questions regarding my thoughts on this subject please see my post about their records as Div 1 college football coaches. I find it hysterical that you all are so up in arms about this that your flimsy argument is "You forgot San Diego University Jabes you big dumbass!!!" LMAO you all have imbibed way too much Harbaugh Kool-Aid. All Hail Harbaugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![:)]
     
    Seriously though guys I now hope more than ever Harbaugh gets hired, I fear if he doesn't you all might go all Heavens Gate on me. LMAO 
  • You asked us questions in one post a page back where I took the time to actually respond in an educated matter and you chose to ignore that, so I'll just go back to dumb responses since that seems to be all anyone reads.
  • Jabes0623 wrote:
    I understand you're a little upset that I went & proved how Petrino is a better Coach with facts after your big [8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|] post. It's ok. And I do apology for leaving Harbaugh's time at SDSU off the records I listed, clearly success at SDSU is an infallible predictor of future success at UM[8|][8|][8|][8|][8|]*cough* Brady Hoke *cough*...[:)]

    For someone who keeps using 'facts' to back up their arguments, you sure do seem get yours wrong quite often... [8|]

    [8|][8|][8|][8|]am I part of this now?[8|][8|][8|][8|]
  • [link=http://www.wdrb.com/story/24401423/crawford-meet-the-new-coach-same-as-the-old-coach]http://www.wdrb.com/story...-same-as-the-old-coach[/link]
    It only takes a couple of red flags for me to think he's not as changed as the narrative is going to say he is. I'm not talking about sex scandals or job-hopping. I'm talking about running a program in a reasonable and even responsible manner, and a manner befitting the foundation that has been laid over the past four years, and befitting an institution whose recent selection into the Atlantic Coast Conference was hard-won after years of effort.

    Go Blue!!
  • WolvyMike wrote:

    If Western Kentucky is relevant for Petrino, then San Diego is relevant for Harbaugh.
    Because FCS and FBS are the same thing
     
    Here are the teams Harbaugh beat while at San Diego
    Holy Cross, Southern Oregon, Valparaiso, Davidson, Butler, Dayton, Wagner, Azusa Pacific, Yale, Menlo, Drake, Chapman, Marist, Morehead St. (cue laughter from my 13 year old self), Dixie St, Jacksonville, and Monmouth. 
     
    I am sure that is as relevant as WKU knocking off UK and Navy in Petrino's 1 season there.
  • WolvyMike wrote:

    You asked us questions in one post a page back where I took the time to actually respond in an educated matter and you chose to ignore that, so I'll just go back to dumb responses since that seems to be all anyone reads.
     
    Wolvy, this whole board goes full retard because I had the gull to suggest that Petrino is more qualified for this job than Harbaugh. Then TK chimed in with his mocking post & I showed him indisputable evidence that Petrino is in fact a more qualified candidate in terms of record, actually way more qualified. If you, & everyone else on this board, despise Petrino & don't want him to be the UM coach for his off the field antics that's fine, I completely understand why. He certainly does have a sleazy history.
     
    But to sit here & say I haven't responded in an educated manner is asinine. I think what you meant to say is rather than just sit down & shut up & get in line I continued to argue my point, quite successfully, & you don't appreciate that. No worries though I've got thick skin & I'm sure I'll continue to ruffle feathers here until Scottsdale bans me. 
  • Jabes0623 wrote:

    FYI,
    Jim did not coach at SDSU.
    He coached at the University of San Diego.
    Two different Schools.

    Good Lord it wasn't even SDSU????? Here I was thinking I'd failed to give him credit for his work at a D-1 school. I've never even heard of San Diego University.

    So Stanford is his only coaching experience that would be relevant to this conversation. Thanks for clearing that up.
     
    Nice recovery
  • Jabes0623 wrote:
    WolvyMike wrote:

    You asked us questions in one post a page back where I took the time to actually respond in an educated matter and you chose to ignore that, so I'll just go back to dumb responses since that seems to be all anyone reads.

    Wolvy, this whole board goes full retard because I had the gull to suggest that Petrino is more qualified for this job than Harbaugh. Then TK chimed in with his mocking post & I showed him indisputable evidence that Petrino is in fact a more qualified candidate in terms of record, actually way more qualified. If you, & everyone else on this board, despise Petrino & don't want him to be the UM coach for his off the field antics that's fine, I completely understand why. He certainly does have a sleazy history.

    But to sit here & say I haven't responded in an educated manner is asinine. I think what you meant to say is rather than just sit down & shut up & get in line I continued to argue my point, quite successfully, & you don't appreciate that. No worries though I've got thick skin & I'm sure I'll continue to ruffle feathers here until Scottsdale bans me. 
    You need to reread what I said, friendo.  I said that I TOOK THE TIME TO RESPOND IN AN EDUCATED MANNER, and since I made that post, in which I quoted your post a multitude of times with several different responses, you have chosen to ignore it and get in a pissing contest with others about the difference in San Diego and SDSU.
  • Here, I'll ever repost/requote the post in question since your scroll function must be broken
     
     
     
    WolvyMike wrote:
    Jabes0623 wrote:


    So is this where we're leaving this one? I prove my point with facts, I ask you all to show me crimes convicted of or NCAA sanctions & you got nothing other than a few really bad personal choices to point to.

    What point did you prove?  You clearly said "a case could be made for both."  Nobody said Petrino wasn't a good coach.  But if you stand two coaches side by side with similar win/loss records, most people are going to choose the one with a seemingly better moral high ground.

    All you guys are doing is proving my point, you'd rather be some long lost ideal than a winner. Which is fine, I don't begrudge you your right to feel that way. We ran RR out of town because he wasn't a "Michigan Man" & refused to do things the way the old breed wanted him to. But he was & is a winner. We ran BRadio out of town because he was a bumbling stooge who couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. But he certainly was a Michigan Man & did things the right way. You guys want your cake & want to eat it to, it doesn't work that way in the real world, & as long as that attitude persists we'll continue to be what we have been. Mediocre. 

    this diatribe would make more sense if it was four years ago and you were describing Brady Hoke.  The FACT of the matter is, Jim Harbaugh is a winner.  It's been proven by his overall record in both the NFL and on the collegiate level.  Him being a Michigan alum is more of a bonus IMO. 
    The definition of insanity is to continue to do the same thing over & over & expect a different result. Nobody does or wants anything on earth done the way it was in 1986, except UM Football. You boys had better pray Harbaugh comes & is the savior you think he is because with you guys being very reflective of the UM fan base & their attitude if I was an elite coach I wouldn't touch UM with a 10ft pole, & thus far we've been turned down by them all through 2 coaching searches.

    Jim Harbaugh wasn't a coach in 1986.  You seem stuck on this thought that people want a quarterback from the 80's to come coach football.  We don't.  We want the best coach available who also kicked a$$ on both the collegiate and NFL level. And he's been doing it for the past decade.


    [/quote]

  • Jabes0623 wrote:
    So no matter how you look at it major college (which the job at UM is) or minor (which the job at UM is not) as a Coach Petrino has a higher winning %, against much tougher competition. Let's go ahead & ignore that Harbaugh was just a little over .500 at Stanford, with Andrew Luck. Yeah you guys clearly are looking at this objectively & not emotionally.
     
    How was that competition in Conference USA again?
     
    In 2003, Conference USA was the 9th toughest conference.
    In 2004, Conference USA was the 11th toughest conference.
     
    Jabes0623 wrote:
     Let's go ahead & ignore that Harbaugh was just a little over .500 at Stanford, with Andrew Luck. Yeah you guys clearly are looking at this objectively & not emotionally.
     
    When Petrino took over Louisville in 2003, they were a combined 41-21 the previous 5 seasons.
    When Harbaugh took over Stanford in 2007, they were a combined 16-40 in the previous 5 seasons.
     
    In 2007, Harbaugh's first season (without Andrew Luck), Stanford defeated #1 ranked USC 24-23 in what was statistically the greatest upset in college football history with a spread of 41pts.
    In 2009, Stanford made it to a bowl game for the first time since 2001 and in 2010, Stanford won their first bowl game (Orange Bowl) since 1996.
     
    In the years following Harbaugh, Stanford is 11-2, 12-2, 11-3. Harbaugh leaves the programs in better shape than when he arrives.
    In the years following Petrino, Louisville was 6-6, 5-7, 4-8. Petrino leaves the programs in worse shape than when he arrives. That's a product of bad recruiting — which is typical of a Bobby Petrino school. It’s pretty much what got Steve Kragthorpe fired. Petrino didn’t leave him any players. It’s was the same thing at Arkansas. They had/have no players on defense. Petrino would load up on offense and leave the cupboard bare and then bolt for another job. That’s why he can’t ever get over the hump and is one of the reasons he't not considered an elite coach like Jim Harbaugh.
     
    When Petrino took over the Atlanta Falcons in 2007, they were a combined 26-22 the previous 3 seasons. Petrino went 3-10 in his first season and vanished like a fart in the wind with 3 games to go in the season leaving his organization and players high and dry. In 2008, Atlanta finished 11-5 and went to the playoffs.
    When Harbaugh took over the 49ers in 2011, they were a combined 18-22 in the previous 3 seasons and 45-82 in the previous 8 seasons. Harbaugh is 43-18 with 3 Super Bowl appearances.
     
    When Harbaugh gets fired in 2 weeks...how many people will line up at his door for his services?
    How many people are waiting outside Petrino's door right now to take him away from Louisville?
     
    There is discussion of Jim Harbaugh, an NFL head coach being traded to another NFL team.
    How many teams are looking to trade for Bobby Petrino?
     
    You can stand on the rooftop and scream that Petrino has a better college winning % (a by product of coaching in weaker conferences and more years as a head coach), but what is indisputable is the "I" test. Harbaugh passes and Petrino does not. Just ask all the college and NFL insiders who are writing stories, DAILY, about Harbaugh. How many stories are being written about Petrino.
     
    Go Blue!!


  • None. Again I'm 100% certain that Petrino will NOT be hired. I'm 100% certain Petrino will NOT be interviewed. All I was doing was giving my opinion of who I think could turn the UM program around & put a winner on the football field.
     
    And you can act like there's not much difference between a 730 & 580 winning % if you want, but deep down you know there is. You can act like there's no difference between the PAC 12 & the SEC West but deep down you know there is. For God's sake you all were up in arms that I left San Diego University off Harbaugh's record, but now you just want to dismiss Petrino's work in the SEC! You all arguing against Petrino's abilities as a Coach is as absurd as it would be for me to argue he's a good person with scrupulous morals. But as is typical around here you all don't do real well dealing with any reality that doesn't reinforce the narrative you already have in your head, so you freak out about anything that doesn't fit in your box & completely dismiss it no matter what. Just like with Hoke, you had to have a Crayola picture drawn for you to see he wasn't the right man for the job. That he was failing, you were at least a year behind in seeing that, I'm not sure some of you see it even now.
     
    Everyone here claims that they want to win, & win big. But what you all really want, & the only thing you'll accept, is to do it your way. RichRod is a perfect example of this, just like Petrino. You're free to live your entire life closed minded if you wish. But you'll always lag behind those who are capable of living outside the box, embracing change, & taking chances.
     
    Oh & just for the record there Wolvy 1986 is just a generic year, you could put '81, '92, '96 any year you wanted that harkens back to the glory days of Michigan Men & power football.
     
    We all want the same thing, just some of us are willing to reach to get it.
  • Jabes0623 wrote:

    None. Again I'm 100% certain that Petrino will NOT be hired. I'm 100% certain Petrino will NOT be interviewed. All I was doing was giving my opinion of who I think could turn the UM program around & put a winner on the football field.

    And you can act like there's not much difference between a 730 & 580 winning % if you want, but deep down you know there is. You can act like there's no difference between the PAC 12 & the SEC West but deep down you know there is. For God's sake you all were up in arms that I left San Diego University off Harbaugh's record, but now you just want to dismiss Petrino's work in the SEC! You all arguing against Petrino's abilities as a Coach is as absurd as it would be for me to argue he's a good person with scrupulous morals. But as is typical around here you all don't do real well dealing with any reality that doesn't reinforce the narrative you already have in your head, so you freak out about anything that doesn't fit in your box & completely dismiss it no matter what.

    Everyone here claims that they want to win, & win big. But what you all really want, & the only thing you'll accept, is to do it your way. RichRod is a perfect example of this, just like Petrino. You're free to live your entire life closed minded if you wish. But you'll always lag behind those who are capable of living outside the box, embracing change, & taking chances.

    Oh & just for the record there Wolvy 1986 is just a generic year, you could put '81, '92, '96 any year you wanted that harkens back to the glory days of Michigan Men & power football.
    And you can act like there is no difference between taking over a team with 7+wins for 7 straight years that their coach only bolted to a better job. Then taking over a team that was 11-2 and 8-5 in the last 2 years before their coach also bolted to a better job.
     
    Where as Harbaugh took over a Dumpster fire that was 16-40 in the last 5 years. And was at its lowest point in 50+years. No **** harbaugh had a lower win % he was too busy turning a program around where as Petrino was enjoying what was already in place and built for him when he showed up and all he had to do was slap some co-ed asses and sit back and enjoy.
  • Lol you're acting like I'm saying Harbaugh can't coach. He most certainly can & I'll be delighted if we land him. But that doesn't mean that there aren't other people who could do just as good of a job, or even better if they were to be given a fair shake.
     
    I'm getting bored with this, circular conversation. I shoved Tk's moronic post back in his face with facts, facts you all don't like. Ignore them, hate them, hate me I don't give a &%$# but you can't dispute them. So in the end you're forced to pull at strings like the teams record before their arrivals, Harbaughs record against Suzy Q's Beauty College, & co-ed ass slapping to reinforce your already formed opinions.
     
    I get it, don't bother you guys with facts that in anyway force critical thinking or that may in any way disagree with your narrative.
     
  • Jabes0623 wrote:
    And you can act like there's not much difference between a 730 & 580 winning % if you want, but deep down you know there is.

    How many times does it need to be pointed out to you that your winning %'s are incorrect. I'll give it a shot one more time. This seems to be the ONLY thing you can hang your hat on and you can't even get that right.
     
    Bobby Petrino is 92-33, .736.
    Jim Harbaugh is 58-27, .682.

    Yes, I'm know it won't change your narrative because Petrino still has a higher winning %, but you lose credibility when you say that you give facts and no one pays attention to your facts, BUT YOU'RE FACTS ARE INCORRECT!
     
    Jabes0623 wrote:
    You can act like there's no difference between the PAC 12 & the SEC West but deep down you know there is. For God's sake you all were up in arms that I left San Diego University off Harbaugh's record, but now you just want to dismiss Petrino's work in the SEC!
     
    SEC West this past season is FAR superior to the SEC West in 2008, 09, etc...Nice try chief!
     
    Go Blue!!
  • After Lloyd throwing in the towel about 3 years before he actually retired, the Rich Rod experiment, and the Hoke debacle, the phrase "willing to reach" is no where near my list of priorities in a head coach. 
     
     
    That's about the last I have to say in this thread.
  • Jabes0623 wrote:
    And you can act like there's not much difference between a 730 & 580 winning % if you want, but deep down you know there is.

    How many times does it need to be pointed out to you that your winning %'s are incorrect. I'll give it a shot one more time. This seems to be the ONLY thing you can hang your hat on and you can't even get that right.
     
    Bobby Petrino is 92-33, .736.
    Jim Harbaugh is 58-27, .682.

    Yes, I'm know it won't change your narrative because Petrino still has a higher winning %, but you lose credibility when you say that you give facts and no one pays attention to your facts, BUT YOU'RE FACTS ARE INCORRECT!
     
    Jabes0623 wrote:
    You can act like there's no difference between the PAC 12 & the SEC West but deep down you know there is. For God's sake you all were up in arms that I left San Diego University off Harbaugh's record, but now you just want to dismiss Petrino's work in the SEC!
     
    SEC West this past season is FAR superior to the SEC West in 2008, 09, etc...Nice try chief!
     
    Go Blue!!
     
    Don't bother Scottsdale.  Much like a neutered dog he doesn't get it and he'll never get it.  (although I just LOVE the "facts" he thew in my face that were, of course, wrong.  As usual.)  A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
     
    GAME, SET, MATCH.  
  • Game, set, match? Hardly. I love how you guys keep acting like those are my #'s rather than Harbaugh & Petrino's coaching records at D-1 schools. Which last time I checked is where UM plays football. We call that a fair comparison where I come from.

    By your own admissions even when we throw in the record of Hatbaugh's work at DII(?) DIII(?) San Diego University Petrino still has more wins, a higher winning %, & managed to accomplish all of that at the highest level of college football..

    Any way you slice it Petrino's stats as a Head Coach are better than Harbaugh's. Sorry I spilled a little truth into your kool-aid.

Sign In or Register to comment.