UMGOBLUE.COM

Michigan football contracts Korn Ferry firm to aid in coaching search

24

Comments

  • Jabes0623 wrote:
    Jabes0623 wrote:

    I read somewhere Korn Ferry will be paid between $80K-$250K (that's quite a gulf) for their services. It appears I got in the wrong business. Hell I'll do Korn Ferry's work right now...

    1. Jim Harbaugh
    2. Bobby Petrino
    3. Sean Payton
    4. John Harbaugh
    5. Tom Herman
    6. If you cant get or choose not to hire anyone from the above list you are a moron & need to resign your post immediately.

    Where's my check?

    Petrino??? no thanks...give me smokey the bear before that clown.

    Go Blue!!
    I'm aware of your feelings about Petrino, we've discussed before. However that clown can win, & it pays to be a winner. I imagine if he was hired & rolled off records something like 9-4, 11-2, 14-1 you wouldn't be calling him a clown anymore. But as previously discussed he'll never get the chance so it doesn't matter. That list is just MHO of who the coaching candidates should be.

    To be honest if I was in charge of the hire I'd have Petrino above Harbaugh because Harbaugh (if he'll even take the job) will be gone in 4-5 years no matter what. Petrino would likely stick around significantly longer & frankly IMO is a superior college coach. But of course unlike a lot of UM fans I'm not tethered to the "Michigan Man" 1986 power football thing nor to the idea that our HC has to have scrupulous morals & have lived the life of a monk prior to their arrival at UM. Which frees me up to look at things more objectively & less emotionally than some. I don't imagine very many successful operations of any kind are run with the same mindset as the UM Football program, & it's difficult to argue that the UM Football program has been run successfully for quite a while now. Given that since 1997 we've only had 1 truly great team in that 17 year stretch. I know change is scary but it's also very necessary. You're either growing or dying, & we've been dying for a long time now & that's do in large part to our inbred backward way of thinking.
    Yeah, cuz loyalty to a program is something Petrino is well known for.
     
  • Goblue88 wrote:
    oregonblue wrote:

    GoBlue88, the regents do not want Petrino in Washtenaw, Livingston, Oakland, Wayne, Macomb or Jackson counties let alone AA itself. To which, I fully agree.

    Besides, why do you condone adultery ??
    I don't condone it but we live in a world where 1/2 of marriages end in divorce anyway and studies have found up to 70% of men have cheated on their wife at least once (maybe not fully but went far enough that they considered it cheating). 70% of people don't hire a hitman to try to Injure someone. I just don't get how people can condemn Petrino like a pariah for something that We have had Past presidents do...  while Considering Sean Payton a good coaching candidate for only committing what some would consider accessory to Premeditated assault & battery.

    Haha...let's not over-sensationalize the situation. Good grief!

    Go Blue!!
    I'm Sensationalizing it for a reason to make a point.  I'm sure when Urban Meyer's is sitting in the High school kids living room He would make sure their parent's remember every bit of what The man did...... if a player would have been injured severely or paralyzed. it would have been nothing less than the Todd Bertuzi Steve Moore hockey incident all over. I know i'm sensationalized it but still My point is this man lost any credibility to sit in a living room of a high school student and tell his mother and father I'm going to take care of your kid And every other Coach recruiting against us would have more ammo.
  • andyum wrote:
    Jabes0623 wrote:
    Jabes0623 wrote:

    I read somewhere Korn Ferry will be paid between $80K-$250K (that's quite a gulf) for their services. It appears I got in the wrong business. Hell I'll do Korn Ferry's work right now...

    1. Jim Harbaugh
    2. Bobby Petrino
    3. Sean Payton
    4. John Harbaugh
    5. Tom Herman
    6. If you cant get or choose not to hire anyone from the above list you are a moron & need to resign your post immediately.

    Where's my check?

    Petrino??? no thanks...give me smokey the bear before that clown.

    Go Blue!!
    I'm aware of your feelings about Petrino, we've discussed before. However that clown can win, & it pays to be a winner. I imagine if he was hired & rolled off records something like 9-4, 11-2, 14-1 you wouldn't be calling him a clown anymore. But as previously discussed he'll never get the chance so it doesn't matter. That list is just MHO of who the coaching candidates should be.

    To be honest if I was in charge of the hire I'd have Petrino above Harbaugh because Harbaugh (if he'll even take the job) will be gone in 4-5 years no matter what. Petrino would likely stick around significantly longer & frankly IMO is a superior college coach. But of course unlike a lot of UM fans I'm not tethered to the "Michigan Man" 1986 power football thing nor to the idea that our HC has to have scrupulous morals & have lived the life of a monk prior to their arrival at UM. Which frees me up to look at things more objectively & less emotionally than some. I don't imagine very many successful operations of any kind are run with the same mindset as the UM Football program, & it's difficult to argue that the UM Football program has been run successfully for quite a while now. Given that since 1997 we've only had 1 truly great team in that 17 year stretch. I know change is scary but it's also very necessary. You're either growing or dying, & we've been dying for a long time now & that's do in large part to our inbred backward way of thinking.
    Yeah, cuz loyalty to a program is something Petrino is well known for.
    "A man is only as faithful as his options."
    -Chris Rock
  • Jabes, I have concluded that character and trustworthiness mean absolutely ZERO to you. Integrity means a lot more to a true Michigan Man than just winning athletic contests.
  • which helps win more football games?  Cheating on your wife or paying bounties?
     
     
    I think I know which one I'd be ok with.  LMAO
  • Okay, I get the knock on Petrino.....but how do you guys justify Les Miles as the #2 guy if Harbaugh falls through when he did the same stuff?
  • Has there ever been any real proof that Miles did any of that?  All I've ever seen is message board speculation as that being a reason why Lloyd didn't like him.  Never seen any real evidence that it was a true story.
  • Petrino would just be another Rodriguez debacle.  Good offensive mind and a good coach but a bad fit.  Never mind the fact that he was sneaking around interviewing with Auburn while coach at Louisville, signs a big contract at Louisville only to bail 6 months later, and then when it came time to bail on the Falcons he leaves a note in the player's lockers and splits.  He then gets caught on the bike with the chick at Arkansas and lies about it and then it's discovered he gave her a 20,000.00 "donation" for Christmas and lied about that too.  That's a boat load of character issues and a pretty big rap sheet-this guy would get skewered at Michigan.  You can't trust this guy as far as a bike can throw him.  The deal with Miles is ancient news and happened ions ago (although I'm not suggesting he's Mr. Clean either.)  But I'd trust Miles a lot more than I trust Petrino.  He's greasy and pretty much a weasel.     
  • WolvyMike wrote:

    Has there ever been any real proof that Miles did any of that?  All I've ever seen is message board speculation as that being a reason why Lloyd didn't like him.  Never seen any real evidence that it was a true story.
    Any of what? Sleep with Moeller's wife? There's no sex tape if that's what you're asking. Recruits are the reason we know he was bad mouthing Lloyd on the recruiting trail.
  • TK23Blue wrote:

    Petrino would just be another Rodriguez debacle.  Good offensive mind and a good coach but a bad fit.  Never mind the fact that he was sneaking around interviewing with Auburn while coach at Louisville, signs a big contract at Louisville only to bail 6 months later, and then when it came time to bail on the Falcons he leaves a note in the player's lockers and splits.  He then gets caught on the bike with the chick at Arkansas and lies about it and then it's discovered he gave her a 20,000.00 "donation" for Christmas and lied about that too.  That's a boat load of character issues and a pretty big rap sheet-this guy would get skewered at Michigan.  You can't trust this guy as far as a bike can throw him.  The deal with Miles is ancient news and happened ions ago (although I'm not suggesting he's Mr. Clean either.)  But I'd trust Miles a lot more than I trust Petrino.  He's greasy and pretty much a weasel.     
     
    Well said TK.  My issues with Petrino go far deeper than him being caught cheating on his wife...

  • TK23Blue wrote:

    Petrino would just be another Rodriguez debacle.  Good offensive mind and a good coach but a bad fit.  Never mind the fact that he was sneaking around interviewing with Auburn while coach at Louisville, signs a big contract at Louisville only to bail 6 months later, and then when it came time to bail on the Falcons he leaves a note in the player's lockers and splits.  He then gets caught on the bike with the chick at Arkansas and lies about it and then it's discovered he gave her a 20,000.00 "donation" for Christmas and lied about that too.  That's a boat load of character issues and a pretty big rap sheet-this guy would get skewered at Michigan.  You can't trust this guy as far as a bike can throw him.  The deal with Miles is ancient news and happened ions ago (although I'm not suggesting he's Mr. Clean either.)  But I'd trust Miles a lot more than I trust Petrino.  He's greasy and pretty much a weasel.     
    Now, that's funny. Well played.
  • Goblue88 wrote:

    I know i'm sensationalized it but still My point is this man lost any credibility to sit in a living room of a high school student and tell his mother and father I'm going to take care of your kid And every other Coach recruiting against us would have more ammo.
     
    There's some bling he could also wear called a Super Bowl Ring that he could also flash at prospective recruits when he makes home visits that might just outweigh what went on with bounty gate...

  • TK23Blue wrote:

    Yeah, I want Petrino over Harbaugh too.  He's just a better college coach. [8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|]
    I so enjoy these moments...Overall College coaching records:
     
    JIM HARBAUGH 50-29 .580 winning %
     
    BOBBY PETRINO 125-92 .736 winning %...& that's at W. Kentucky, Louisville, & in the SEC
     
    So yeah where did I get the crazy idea Petrino was better???? [:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]
  • Jabes0623 wrote:
    TK23Blue wrote:

    Yeah, I want Petrino over Harbaugh too.  He's just a better college coach. [8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|]
    I so enjoy these moments...Overall College coaching records:

    JIM HARBAUGH 50-29 .580 winning %

    BOBBY PETRINO 125-92 .736 winning %...& that's at W. Kentucky, Louisville, & in the SEC

    So yeah where did I get the crazy idea Petrino was better???? [:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]
     
    I think you added things wrong there jabes.  Petrino has won 92 games and lost 33 in college.  Also, Harbaugh is not 50-29, but nice try.  His ACTUAL collegiate record is 58-27 which checks in at a .680 win percentage which is slightly better than the .580 win percentage you gave him credit for.  So, Petrino's overall collegiate record is 5% better than Harbaugh's?  Wow, color me impressed?!  [8|]
     
     
    Oh, and how convenient that you left out Petrino's NFL career coaching record from your argument.  Since both have coached in the NFL, should that not be included in the comparison???  Well, in case you were wondering, Petrino was 3-10 with the Falcons before he quit to go crawling back to college. That's a .230 win percentage fyi.  Meanwhile, all Harbaugh has done with the 49ers is go 43-18 (.705 win percentage) with two NFC West titles, three trips to the NFC Championship game and a Super Bowl appearance.  But yeah, Petrino is the better coach if you say so... [8|]
     


  • It's not my math...

    [link=http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/bobby-petrino-1.html]http://www.sports-referen...s/bobby-petrino-1.html[/link]

    [link=http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/jim-harbaugh-1.html]http://www.sports-referen...es/jim-harbaugh-1.html[/link]

    College Football is not NFL Football. But I'm well aware you'll ignore any facts that don't reinforce your narrative.

    I think Harbaugh will do great & I hope he's hired but that doesn't mean there's no other highly qualified candidates.
  • Jabes0623 wrote:

    It's not my math...

    [link=http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/bobby-petrino-1.html]http://www.sports-referen...s/bobby-petrino-1.html[/link]

    [link=http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/jim-harbaugh-1.html]http://www.sports-referen...es/jim-harbaugh-1.html[/link]

    College Football is not NFL Football. But I'm well aware you'll ignore any facts that don't reinforce your narrative.

    I think Harbaugh will do great & I hope he's hired but that doesn't mean there's no other highly qualified candidates.
    The thing that isn't mentioned in those stats is that He turned a school with the most stingy applicant requirements this side of West Point. And Instituted a system of winning that has continued after he left. Stanford can't recruit half the kids the SEC do that can't count past 12, and think the state of Washington is where the president lives. So Stanford is already up against the 8 ball.
  • Jabes0623 wrote:

    It's not my math...

    [link=http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/bobby-petrino-1.html]http://www.sports-referen...s/bobby-petrino-1.html[/link]

    [link=http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/jim-harbaugh-1.html]http://www.sports-referen...es/jim-harbaugh-1.html[/link]

    College Football is not NFL Football. But I'm well aware you'll ignore any facts that don't reinforce your narrative.

    I think Harbaugh will do great & I hope he's hired but that doesn't mean there's no other highly qualified candidates.

    At Stanford, he COACHED 50 games Merlin. His record was 29-21.

    At San Diego, his record was 29-6.

    Career record of 58-27.

    Go Blue!!
  • LOL....chooses website that only counts "major college" records to link.  Conveniently leaves off Harbaughs 29-6 record at San Diego. 
  • So no matter how you look at it major college (which the job at UM is) or minor (which the job at UM is not) as a Coach Petrino has a higher winning %, against much tougher competition. Let's go ahead & ignore that Harbaugh was just a little over .500 at Stanford, with Andrew Luck. Yeah you guys clearly are looking at this objectively & not emotionally.

    How many crimes has Petrino been convicted of? NCAA sanctions?



  • Ok, so I can't say I'm on the Petrino bandwagon. 
     
    Since there's been attempts to compare apples to apples, let's look at records against ranked opponents:
     
    Jim Harbaugh: 6-6
    Bobby Petrino 14-18
     
    I'd clearly give the edge to Harbaugh here, as Petrino could pull from the Juco pool at any of the schools that he has been to. Harbaugh had to abide by much stricter standards.
     
    Petrino wouldn't come here anyway.....most of our Ann Arbor co-eds have more piercings and tattoos than Bobby has teeth.  I don't think that's his type.
  • Jabes0623 wrote:

    So no matter how you look at it major college (which the job at UM is) or minor (which the job at UM is not) as a Coach Petrino has a higher winning %, against much tougher competition. Let's go ahead & ignore that Harbaugh was just a little over .500 at Stanford, with Andrew Luck. Yeah you guys clearly are looking at this objectively & not emotionally.

    How many crimes has Petrino been convicted of? NCAA sanctions?
     
    What people don't look at is that Petrino Took over a Lousiville team that had 6 straight 7 or more win seasons (1 11 win season only 2 years prior) before their coach Bolted to MSU, Then took over an Arkansas team that was 10-2 and 8-5 in the last 2 season's before he took over. He has never dealt with adversity of turning a team around.
     
    On the other hand Harbaugh Took over a Stanford team that was down on its luck having a 16-40 record over the last 5 season's And built a winning program. That has lasted even as he Left (Players development can be partially attributed to a coach for 2 years after he leaves) Harbaugh's players the ones he recruited and developed as freshman/sophomores Won games.
     
  • I like the top 25 comparison. My rebuttal to that would simply be Arkansas is in the SEC West so those weren't just your average top 25 teams, many would've been top 5 teams in the form of Alabama, LSU, & Auburn.

    Clearly a case can easily be made for both Coaches.
  • OK, so like you said, "clearly a case can be made for both."
     
     
    So you have to go beyond simple coaching and win/loss record at that point.  Why would you ever choose Petrino with his given track record that's been spelled out so much in this thread?
     
     
    The lying
    The job searching behind backs
    The leaving in the middle of the night with nothing but a letter to your players
    The basic sub human nature it takes to cheat on your spouse
     
     
     
    Harbaugh is an asshole on the sidelines and is brash and unpolished, but he's none of those things listed above, to my knowledge.
  • IMO If Harbaugh were to take the job I'm reasonably sure he'll be gone in a few years.

    Petrino, appears to be & changed man & I believe in second chances. I think he'll be unbelievably hungry to prove he's still elite, I think he would be grateful for another opportunity at the big time, he's been through tough times way beyond the BS he'll have to deal with in AA, & most importantly he's a proven winner from the SEC.

    Just for the record I'm 100% certain Petrino will not be hired. More than anything I'm just trying to think outside the box, to come up with a proven big time college football winner who would actually take the UM job, & there's just not many out there. I still don't think Harbaugh is leaving the NFL, I'm hopeful that the powers that be have a plan B,C,D & don't have the same tunnel vision many here do.
  • zjgm02 wrote:

    Cat fight, cat fight, cat fight.

    No cat fight gif, it never happened.
  • yeah, because Michigan should definitely be the home of "second chances."  Give me a break.
  • LOL no offense taken, I wouldn't want to be the AD.
     
    So is this where we're leaving this one? I prove my point with facts, I ask you all to show me crimes convicted of or NCAA sanctions & you got nothing other than a few really bad personal choices to point to.
     
    All you guys are doing is proving my point, you'd rather be some long lost ideal than a winner. Which is fine, I don't begrudge you your right to feel that way. We ran RR out of town because he wasn't a "Michigan Man" & refused to do things the way the old breed wanted him to. But he was & is a winner. We ran BRadio out of town because he was a bumbling stooge who couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. But he certainly was a Michigan Man & did things the right way. You guys want your cake & want to eat it to, it doesn't work that way in the real world, & as long as that attitude persists we'll continue to be what we have been. Mediocre. 
     
    The definition of insanity is to continue to do the same thing over & over & expect a different result. Nobody does or wants anything on earth done the way it was in 1986, except UM Football. You boys had better pray Harbaugh comes & is the savior you think he is because with you guys being very reflective of the UM fan base & their attitude if I was an elite coach I wouldn't touch UM with a 10ft pole, & thus far we've been turned down by them all through 2 coaching searches.
     
     
     
  • Jabes0623 wrote:

    LOL no offense taken, I wouldn't want to be the AD.

    So is this where we're leaving this one? I prove my point with facts, I ask you all to show me crimes convicted of or NCAA sanctions & you got nothing other than a few really bad personal choices to point to.

    All you guys are doing is proving my point, you'd rather be some long lost ideal than a winner. Which is fine, I don't begrudge you your right to feel that way. We ran RR out of town because he wasn't a "Michigan Man" & refused to do things the way the old breed wanted him to. But he was & is a winner. We ran BRadio out of town because he was a bumbling stooge who couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. But he certainly was a Michigan Man & did things the right way. You guys want your cake & want to eat it to, it doesn't work that way in the real world, & as long as that attitude persists we'll continue to be what we have been. Mediocre. 

    The definition of insanity is to continue to do the same thing over & over & expect a different result. Nobody does or wants anything on earth done the way it was in 1986, except UM Football. You boys had better pray Harbaugh comes & is the savior you think he is because with you guys being very reflective of the UM fan base & their attitude if I was an elite coach I wouldn't touch UM with a 10ft pole, & thus far we've been turned down by them all through 2 coaching searches.


    Yes, as long as they're not a convicted felon they should be in strong consideration for the Michigan job because a rap sheet should be our standard.  Perfect.  Harbaugh is the best COACH and best fit for the job. PERIOD.  And it has nothing to do with the Michigan Man myth.  You want Petrino-we get it.  You've used incorrect win-loss records and faulty comparisons to prove...what, we're not sure...and now you want to shout at the rain that since Petrino hasn't been convicted of anything or caught by the NCAA he should be the next coach.  And we're proving YOUR point?  LOL.  But you did have one thing right-this is where we're leaving this one.
Sign In or Register to comment.