Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UMGOBLUE.COM

Michigan Basketball season thread 2012-2013

Comments

• how bad is Nebraska at basketball......good lord
  • I don't see Northwestern posing much of a threat tonight, but we shall see...

•   They are without their two top scorers, so I would imagine that we can pull out a comfortable win on the road.
      I had the chance to see Alex Olah play in person last year, here in Indianapolis. He attended a small private school but will give our forwards a decent big man to battle with
  • Uh, I guess you'd call that "comfortable."  Other than an off-night from Stauskas, I thought we looked very good for the first road game, even with NU undermanned.
  • WolvyMike wrote:

Giving up 70 points to Central Michigan is unacceptable IMO. 

Hey Wolvy, was that 29 point win on the road at Northwestern in our B1G lidlifter acceptable?  [;)]  [:D]  Just giving you a hard time!  [8D]

Burke was a freaking phenom tonight!  And Hardaway put on quite a show for gramps tonight as well!  [:)]
  • hey, there's a difference in giving up 70 at home to Eastern and 70 on the road to any B1G school.  But yes, I enjoyed tonights game.  Can't freaking wait to see them live in Columbus
  • I hope they put on a good show for you in that dump of an arena OSU plays in... [:)]
  • Today's game was tied at 29-29 at one point.

After that..............[image]http://www.operationsports.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif[/image]
  • Is this team as good as the Fab Five team? I was not old enough to appreciate those teams, but top to bottom is this roster at least in the conversation?
  • To me this team is better. The Fab 5 was always fun to watch because of their freshmen status and the show they put on. THis team tends to be able to pull away at pretty much any time.
  •      Better than the Fab 5??  Not in my opinion, at least not right now.  The Fab 5 played against teams that were littered with seniors, and many of those teams were VERY good (Duke, Indiana, Ohio State).  The competition was simply better.  Plus, the Fab 5 went to 2 national title games in a row.   This team right now has yet to accomplish any of its goals.  Head to head I think the Fab 5 wins.  The intimidation factor alone would push them to a W.  Those kids on the Fab 5 knew how to get into the heads of their opponents.  But, that doesn't mean this team is any less special.  In fact, they may be an even more special team by the time its all said and done for many reasons.  
    1.  They don't have a team within the team.  The chemistry seams as good as you could ask for.  The Fab 5 had chemistry.......... among the 5 freshman.  Many seniors and upperclassmen resented them.  
    2.  None of them have "cheated", or taken any illegal money (at least not that I am aware of) and I doubt any of them would, especially knowing what the ramifications would mean to not only themselves, but the university as well.  
    3.  They could ACTUALLY win the B10 conference, something the Fab 5 never did.
    4.  They could possibly (and I emphasize possibly) win the National Championship.  Again, something the Fab 5 never accomplished.  
         This team is definitely special, but there is still a LONG way to go with some big match-ups looming.  Better than the Fab 5????  Not right now.  But, they sure do have the potential.

Go Blue!!!!!

• Today's game was tied at 29-29 at one point.

After that..............[image]http://www.operationsports.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif[/image]

Man, Iowa had to wonder what happened to them today.  One minute, they're in the game and it seemed like if you got up to get a beer, by the time you got back Michigan was up 20 and pulling away from there!  Talk about spurtabality, this team has got that to say the least!

Heard an interesting stat today during the game.  Michigan hadn't cracked 90 in a B1G game since 2004.  Now they've done it two B1G games in a row!  Nice start to B1G play.  Two wins where they are averaging 94.5 ppg and winning by 28 ppg! 

Also, after watching Illinois dismantle OSU Saturday night, I'm not convinced OSU is as good as their ranking.  Outside of Duke, KU and Illinois, OSU has played absolutely no one.  And those 3 teams mentioned are the only ranked teams OSU has played and they are 0-3 in those games.  Minny is looking like the biggest threat to me right now.  Should be interesting to see how they do when they have to play a game outside of The Barn when they travel to Champaign this week where the Illini looked good at home last night vs. OSU.
  • awesome game.  This team is doing a great job of not playing down to anybody.  They know when to turn it on and can go on a run at any time.  When we were down early and the tied, I was never even worried.  Last year, I would have expected a dog fight for the rest of the game, not this season.

My one concern is just how good we are defensively.  We haven't played anyone I would consider elite, so it's hard to determine if we have the horses to defend an elite offensive team come tournament time.

For now, enjoy the ride baby!
  • anybody see the Minnesota/Northwestern score at the end of the first half?

17-14......Good God
  • Rough road games ahead... 1/13 @ OHIO, 1/17 @ Minny, 1/27 @ Illinois

February isn't much better: 2/2 @ Indiana, 2/9 @ Wisconsin, 2/12 @ MSU
  • I think Michigan stealing one of those January road games, is going to be key.
      Not sure what happened to tosu against Illinois, but if we can contain Craft and Thomas to a "good" game, I don't think the bucks have the role players to match up. McGary will show us why we didn't need Amir Williams to commit to Blue.
      With Illinois, it will be key to slow them down and get them out of their offense. I think Nick and Glenn will be key to this game; hitting shots, taking pressure off of Hardaway and Burke to carry the team.
      The X factor will be Morgan: he has to play like a leader, and give us an early low post presence in these road games.
  • aMAIZEing wrote:

Rough road games ahead... 1/13 @ OHIO, 1/17 @ Minny, 1/27 @ Illinois

February isn't much better: 2/2 @ Indiana, 2/9 @ Wisconsin, 2/12 @ MSU

Wisky doesn't worry me. They aren't that good if you ask me. I think games at Purdue and at Iowa might be tougher this year than our game with the Badgers.

BigRange wrote:

I think Michigan stealing one of those January road games, is going to be key.
    Not sure what happened to tosu against Illinois, but if we can contain Craft and Thomas to a "good" game, I don't think the bucks have the role players to match up. McGary will show us why we didn't need Amir Williams to commit to Blue.
    With Illinois, it will be key to slow them down and get them out of their offense. I think Nick and Glenn will be key to this game; hitting shots, taking pressure off of Hardaway and Burke to carry the team.
    The X factor will be Morgan: he has to play like a leader, and give us an early low post presence in these road games.

Totally agree.  Michigan needs to win one of these January road games at the very least.  Hold serve at home which they've done quite well so far and then steal a few key games on the road.  I'd LOVE to see them go into C'bus and come away with a big win on Sunday!

• Wow how far have we come? Well we just beat nebraska by 15 points and the pundits and we fans know that Michigan shoulda won by 30! LOL!
  • Good problem to have... Tested > Defeated :)
  • we needed the test.  Going to Columbus on Sunday is not going to be easy.  We all know they want nothing more than to ruin our chance at the best season to start out in UM history.  

It's going to be crazy there.  Still can't believe I'm going!
  • I was there last night- Trey Burke is just amazing to watch. How he is able to create like he does is just flat out crazy. They all had a rough night shooting, but I never felt like they were in trouble.

My wife, who is a huge football fan but never much of a basketball fan, went with me (how could she not with tix in section 105, row 15!)- she said she can't wait to watch the game against Ohio on Sunday. Sweet!

• Wow how far have we come? Well we just beat nebraska by 15 points and the pundits and we fans know that Michigan shoulda won by 30! LOL!

Worst shooting night of the year, Nebraska played a great game and dictated the tempo and we STILL won by 15!  I'll take that! [:)]

I think getting tested by Nebraska was the best thing that could have happened heading into our showdown in C'bus this weekend!

• DUKE HAS FALLEN. Tommorow just got a whole lot more interesting. If we go into OSU and win we will be the unanimous #1 in the nation.
  • Big showdown tomorrow in Cbus. Wolverines win and they're number 1!

Go Blue!!
  • I don't think it'll be unanimous........but we should be #1
  • WolvyMike wrote:

I don't think it'll be unanimous........but we should be #1
    someones gonna vote for a 1 loss duke over a michigan that beat the team that beat duke? Id like to know how anyone would justify that.
  • Arizona lost on Thursday, that would have been the only other team I could have seen us sharing first place votes with now that Duke lost. I think we will be a unanimous #1 if we beat pOSU