UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UMGOBLUE.COM

Long excerpt from Paterno Book

[link=http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201209/joe-paterno-scandal-joe-posnanski-book-excerpt]http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201209/joe-paterno-scandal-joe-posnanski-book-excerpt[/link]

[quote]
[b]The Secrets and Lies of Joe Paterno[/b]

His final season began with wins—lots of them—and for a while it seemed as if he might retire at the top of his sport, an unblemished icon. It ended with TV cameras surrounding his house, a dying old man at his kitchen table writing a forced letter of resignation—and leaving the rest of us to wonder if we ever really knew Joe Pa at all. An exclusive excerpt from a new biography
[/quote]

Comments

• [link=http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201209/joe-paterno-scandal-joe-posnanski-book-excerpt]http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201209/joe-paterno-scandal-joe-posnanski-book-excerpt[/link]

The Secrets and Lies of Joe Paterno

His final season began with wins—lots of them—and for a while it seemed as if he might retire at the top of his sport, an unblemished icon. It ended with TV cameras surrounding his house, a dying old man at his kitchen table writing a forced letter of resignation—and leaving the rest of us to wonder if we ever really knew Joe Pa at all. An exclusive excerpt from a new biography

• Some of us actually did know Paterno because we were smart enough not to believe the carefully-tended hagiographies that had been peddled about him for decades.
  • Timeout. The Sandusky thing not with standing....Joe was great for college football, and his university. He did a lot for people, players, coaches, students etc. Psu never cheated their brains out of Nat titles like the clowns in Tuscaloosa, or coral gables, or los angeles etc. In all the years I've followed Michigan recruiting, I never once heard rumor, or innuendo, of psu doing underhanded things...unlike the butt heads in columbus. Mind you, I'm not giving him a pass on Sandusky. but I'm unwilling to throw the baby out with the bath water...
  • I gradually lost respect for Paterno over the last 10-15 years. The constant excuses about losing to Michigan got really old not to mention the number of players who got into trouble off-the-field. He struck me as a coach who started lowering standards so that he could go out on top.
  • Philc wrote:

I gradually lost respect for Paterno over the last 10-15 years. The constant excuses about losing to Michigan got really old not to mention the number of players who got into trouble off-the-field. He struck me as a coach who started lowering standards so that he could go out on top.
    And what about all the other violations the Freeh report found.  Academic cheating, inelligible players, etc.  The Sandusky stuff brought out a lot of things that Paterno hid and hid well for a long time.  They guy was dirty like a lot of others.
  • Philc wrote:

I gradually lost respect for Paterno over the last 10-15 years. The constant excuses about losing to Michigan got really old not to mention the number of players who got into trouble off-the-field. He struck me as a coach who started lowering standards so that he could go out on top.
    And what about all the other violations the Freeh report found.  Academic cheating, inelligible players, etc.  The Sandusky stuff brought out a lot of things that Paterno hid and hid well for a long time.  They guy was dirty like a lot of others.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just commenting on the stuff that was common knowledge before the Sandusky scandal.
  • Has anyone read this book? I have about 30 pages left.  Would love to hear someone's opinion AFTER reading this book.  Mine has changed somewhat. 
  • EvilEmpire wrote:

Timeout. The Sandusky thing not with standing....Joe was great for college football, and his university. He did a lot for people, players, coaches, students etc. Psu never cheated their brains out of Nat titles like the clowns in Tuscaloosa, or coral gables, or los angeles etc. In all the years I've followed Michigan recruiting, I never once heard rumor, or innuendo, of psu doing underhanded things...unlike the butt heads in columbus. Mind you, I'm not giving him a pass on Sandusky. but I'm unwilling to throw the baby out with the bath water...

PSU didn't cheat their way out of national titles because they weren't good enough to play for national titles except for a couple of seasons since they joined the Big Ten.  But yes, now we know that Paterno was cheating up a storm.  The old bastard was violating some of the NCAA's highest rules while the NCAA was holding him up as the paragon of virtue.  So the truth is that Paterno was not cheating like the clowns in Tuscaloosa, or Coral Gables, or Los Angeles, or Columbus, etc--he was cheating a hell of a lot better than everybody else.  That's why the plea bargain deal is as good for the NCAA as it is for Paterno State.  The Sandusky affair takes attention away from the serious rules violations committed by Paterno and Paterno State University while calling the matter resolved takes attention away from the NCAA getting completely hoodwinked by the man they advertised as a model to follow when it came to compliance.  I have to imagine that boosters and adminstrators of rogue programs are studying PSU right now to figure out how Paterno got away with it as long as he did.

I will also state once again:  Paterno was for Paterno, end of story.  Every last thing he did had to have his name on it and he was always in front of the camera to "not" take credit for it.  The fact that he approved that statue of himself that became a shrine should tell anyone with a lick of sense how into himself he was.  Paterno's true genius was not in coaching but in self-promotion and self-aggrandizement. 
  • EvilEmpire wrote:

Timeout. The Sandusky thing not with standing....Joe was great for college football, and his university. He did a lot for people, players, coaches, students etc. Psu never cheated their brains out of Nat titles like the clowns in Tuscaloosa, or coral gables, or los angeles etc. In all the years I've followed Michigan recruiting, I never once heard rumor, or innuendo, of psu doing underhanded things...unlike the butt heads in columbus. Mind you, I'm not giving him a pass on Sandusky. but I'm unwilling to throw the baby out with the bath water...

PSU didn't cheat their way out of national titles because they weren't good enough to play for national titles except for a couple of seasons since they joined the Big Ten.  But yes, now we know that Paterno was cheating up a storm.  The old bastard was violating some of the NCAA's highest rules while the NCAA was holding him up as the paragon of virtue.  So the truth is that Paterno was not cheating like the clowns in Tuscaloosa, or Coral Gables, or Los Angeles, or Columbus, etc--he was cheating a hell of a lot better than everybody else.  That's why the plea bargain deal is as good for the NCAA as it is for Paterno State.  The Sandusky affair takes attention away from the serious rules violations committed by Paterno and Paterno State University while calling the matter resolved takes attention away from the NCAA getting completely hoodwinked by the man they advertised as a model to follow when it came to compliance.  I have to imagine that boosters and adminstrators of rogue programs are studying PSU right now to figure out how Paterno got away with it as long as he did.

I will also state once again:  Paterno was for Paterno, end of story.  Every last thing he did had to have his name on it and he was always in front of the camera to "not" take credit for it.  The fact that he approved that statue of himself that became a shrine should tell anyone with a lick of sense how into himself he was.  Paterno's true genius was not in coaching but in self-promotion and self-aggrandizement. 

Please provide sources and proof that Paterno was cheating.  As far as the statue is concerned, you're flat out wrong.  But please show me how Paterno cheated, when, with whom, etc.
  • ^ The Freeh Report.  And just to give you a heads up, Paterno was also covering up for Jerry Sandusky, who was raping boys on PSU property.  I know that also will be difficult for you to believe.   

• ^ The Freeh Report.  And just to give you a heads up, Paterno was also covering up for Jerry Sandusky, who was raping boys on PSU property.  I know that also will be difficult for you to believe.   

The Freeh Report?  I read that report but I admit, I buzzed thru it pretty quickly.  Can you provide me with the page #'s that discuss academic cheating, recruiting violations, cheating, etc etc?  I'd like to go back and read that.  PS: Paterno wasn't covering up for Sandusky.  He was covering his name, legacy, and PSU.  There was no love loss between Paterno and Sandusky.  You knew that, right?