Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UMGOBLUE.COM

Harbaugh's Open letter on future CFB eligibility and policy.

https://twitter.com/JonJansen77/status/1258472943711109121

really interesting takes by Harbaugh,

Highlights

Undrafted players should be allowed to return to school if they do not accept money from an agent.
(Baseball and Hockey Rules allow for players to be drafted but continue their careers whereas football players can't even go undrafted?)

Drafted players should get free schooling later on if needed (leave after 1 year, 1 year free) (leave after 2-3 2 years free) Would help the kids who have an NFL chance take that chance if its in their best interest. if they fail they can fall back on the school that made Millions off their likeness having to pay for them to finish their degree.

Removal of red-shirt rule and making it a 5 year eligibility 

a Removal of the 25 a year scholarship cap. 

Players and family of players should be able to seek council on draft decisions as long as the player is not paid
(IE get an agent like baseball players who routinely seek agents to decide if to take the contract or return to school)

and voicing his support for the 1 time free transfer rule.

Comments

• A lot to unpack here. I don’t think the NFL will want the “if you go undrafted you can go back to school” because at that point wouldn’t every single NCAA player enter their name every single year? Meaning that there would be roughly 11,000 prospects (130 teams times 85 scholarships) in D1 alone to scout. I doubt teams want that big of a pool every year. I would favor the kids being able to return to school after the combine if they want, as long as they haven’t hired an agent. 

I’m definitely not in favor of players getting free schooling AFTER their playing careers are over. If you’ve played in the NFL you have plenty of your own money now to pay your own way. You want free education? Stay until you’ve earned your degree. 

I’d be cool with 5 years of eligibility. Hell, taking 5 years to graduate is becoming more and more common anyways. 

If you take away the 25 scholarship limit then it’s going to go back to where schools would horde all the talent....then even mire kids would transfer because they can’t get playing time which creates free agency. 

I mean why can’t players/family get advice from agents? As long as no money is changing hands I’m fine with it. 

I don’t like the 1 time free transfer rule. It creates free agency in college and I don’t like it. Also, it allows kids to run instead of fighting for a spot. You want to transfer? Fine, sit out a year. 

• The funny thing with the 25 rule was it was put in place to fix competitive balance and stop the Bama's of the world from taking 35 kids a year. Meanwhile its been what like 5-7 years later we have less parity than ever and the limit is hurting tier 2 schools like us who deal with just as many transfers. while the OSU's and Bama's of the world are having classes better than they did before the limit was added.
  • https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/2020/05/09/jim-harbaugh-michigan-football-letter/3100249001/

Interesting take on Harbaugh’s recent open letter. 

To sum up: Jim is pushing the “players can declare for the draft whenever they want” to hurt programs like Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma and push them back to the rest of college programs, thus helping programs like Michigan close the gap. 
  • edited May 10
    to sum up:  The NCAA a few years back stated that satellite camps would not be allowed.  Hmmm who did that help?
  • https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/2020/05/09/jim-harbaugh-michigan-football-letter/3100249001/

Interesting take on Harbaugh’s recent open letter. 

To sum up: Jim is pushing the “players can declare for the draft whenever they want” to hurt programs like Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma and push them back to the rest of college programs, thus helping programs like Michigan close the gap. 
    Make no mistake if the 3 year rule was gone. the Parity on CFB would skyrocket.

Look at CBB. where Kentucky and duke and NC have the best classes year in and year out. but only win a title every 3 years or so. Where 5 and 8 seeds win national titles. 

and the most Dominant CBB team in the last 2 decades was a Nova team (that beat us) that was built by full Seniors and Juniors who were honestly not the highest tier prospects out of HS untill they passed on declaring early and CHOSE to come back to school. where as Kentucky and Dukes of the world have 4 freshman in the draft every year.