Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UMGOBLUE.COM

Everyone Doing Okay?

These are crazy times. It's probably best to limit exposure to the news as the death toll isn't a horse race. I just want to amke sure everyone's doing as well as possible under the circumstances.

My wife and I both work from home anyway, so other than no gym, jiu jitsu and eating out at restaurants this isn't that big a departure from normal life.

Be well, all.

Comments

• We are in the same boat wife works mostly from home and I am retired.  We have been doing take outs from local restaurants during the weekends to help them and also to make it more exciting for our appetites.  Obviously trips that were planned have been cancelled but looking forward to eventually making new ones and seeing our family members.  Take care and be safe.
  • edited April 10
    So far so good, everyone is safe and healthy here. My wife is going a little batty with e-learning and 5 kids every day.

I am out in the field and in hospitals selling but it’s weird. It's awkward going into hospitals and talking with Drs whether it’s a current Dr using my products or new and making calls. I’m not sure they even want us there. Several off my hospitals aren’t letting any reps in their facilities. All of my hospitals take my temperature and ask 50 questions just to see.

Messes and emergencies and trauma do not stop. Out of sight, out of mind so I stay in touch with my doctors and educate them. Earlier this morning, I did a surgery over the phone. The Dr definitely always wants a rep at every case in the OR, but per the hospitals rep policy right now, I wasn’t able to be there. Being on speaker over the phone meant a lot to him and he texted me after the case thanking me for setting that up. It's gonna be this way for a while.

The whole point of shelter in place is to contain this and relying on people to use good judgment and consider other civilians and follow a protocol that may help get a handle on this chaos. It’s success will depend on people’s willingness to abide.

Go Blue!!
  • Scottsdale I’m confused as to what you do? Are you in sales? But then you are in a surgery over the phone??

I’m a teacher in Virginia and my last day was March 13. The governor has been very proactive in this fight and he was 2nd in the nation to cancel school the rest of the year.

So I’ve been keeping busy planning distance learning lessons and helping students make up work they have missed due to being absent and allowing them to redo old assignments to boost their grade. 

My wife works in ministry with preschoolers and she is working from home now recording lessons and doing community outreach. 

Thankfully neither one of our pays have been affected-yet. I know there are people far worse off than us so we are truly fortunate. 

In addition my wife and I are expecting our first child (a girl), due in July so we have been extra careful. 

• Scottsdale I’m confused as to what you do? Are you in sales? But then you are in a surgery over the phone??

I’m a teacher in Virginia and my last day was March 13. The governor has been very proactive in this fight and he was 2nd in the nation to cancel school the rest of the year.

So I’ve been keeping busy planning distance learning lessons and helping students make up work they have missed due to being absent and allowing them to redo old assignments to boost their grade. 

My wife works in ministry with preschoolers and she is working from home now recording lessons and doing community outreach. 

Thankfully neither one of our pays have been affected-yet. I know there are people far worse off than us so we are truly fortunate. 

In addition my wife and I are expecting our first child (a girl), due in July so we have been extra careful. 

I'd assume he's a medical device rep. a lot of device reps are right there with doctors in the OR being more familiar with the products than the doctors themselves.

For myself I lost my job a few months before this all went down. (downsizing) decided to take it easy for a few months cause i'm taking 8-12 credit hours at UM-Dearborn a semester so figured I wasn't hurting for money why not take a few months to breathe, I Live a quiet low maintenance life with a 750 sq foot house built for 1 that was bought in cash and renovated by me and my contractor uncle years during the housing crash and it's just me and my dog so not exactly going out to $500 dollar dinners and flying around the country :P. So figured don't stress for a bit cause I had unemployment + a severance package and then the world exploded and not there is no jobs to go back to even if i wanted. Fun Fun atleast I'm almost done with my first year of 2.5-3 that I need to finish my BA. and although I may have to actually dig into some savings stuff is good.
  • Yes, I’m in medical sales. I work with surgeons in the OR to help provide guidance during surgeries, which are few and far between today with what’s going on right now. I helped with one specific surgery over the phone because they would not let me in that specific hospital so I did FaceTime with the doctor to show them how to use my product.

My neighbor is an ER doctor and he was working at the hospital in Chicago with the first case of COVID-19 in Illinois. Crazy times right now....it’s gonna be a long 18 months....

Go Blue!!
  • In addition my wife and I are expecting our first child (a girl), due in July so we have been extra careful. 

Congrats man!

Go Blue!!
  • Yes, I’m in medical sales. I work with surgeons in the OR to help provide guidance during surgeries, which are few and far between today with what’s going on right now. I helped with one specific surgery over the phone because they would not let me in that specific hospital so I did FaceTime with the doctor to show them how to use my product.

My neighbor is an ER doctor and he was working at the hospital in Chicago with the first case of COVID-19 in Illinois. Crazy times right now....it’s gonna be a long 18 months....

Go Blue!!
     Very cool. I had no idea that this was done in ORs!

• Hi guys, 

I have been away quite a while.  I have been actively reading but not posting.  

I am not sure if you guys recall, I am from Malaysia.  I have been following the games very closely, mainly through live streaming.  

This is indeed confusing, scary and unprecedented times.  Good to hear that you guys are ok.  

I am ok too.. been working from home since 18 March.  Expected to be in similar situation at least till mid May.  Malaysia has been

hit quite hard, relative to other South East Asia countries until Phillipines took over few days back and probably Indonesia after

this.  I am at home not far from Kuala Lumpur (the capital city) with my wife and 3 kids.  I pray things will get better in the US and everywhere.  

Take care guys, stay safe!

• Scottsdale walking a doctor thru a surgery over the phone..with a Maker's and Coke in hand?  What could go wrong?  Ha.  Seriously, glad to hear you guys are staying safe and holding up (as best you can anyway.) My company is considered an "essential service" and I'm in sales so somehow that includes me too. Can't wait to go back to being "non-essential" again. ;) I still go in every day but we sent home all of our CAD ops, Engineers, and estimators. I can't see any customers so that sucks and it's very strange driving these freeways. Never thought I'd miss a traffic jam.  Very few of our projects have stopped (the new Rams stadium is full speed ahead) but a few have been postponed. (We're redoing the interiors at the Staples Center in LA and AEG has postponed it until July 1. Purely money issues since AEG isn't selling a lot of tickets these days.)  But like my wife said, I've been prepping for this day for 10 years, the only thing missing is sports.  (Translated I'm taking that to mean I never get out of my recliner anyway so nothing has changed ;)  I feel reasonably safe in my job but who knows? Just looking forward to when we can talk M football again, hopefully in September. Although this crisis certainly puts things in perspective.  Stay safe gents!  
  • Super GLAD to hear from you TK, I was wondering how you were doing.  Hopefully all of us will get through this unscathed.  Be safe and stay in touch.

Go Blue!!
    I'm in my fifth year working in IT remotely for Cedars-Sinai in LA. They started gearing up in mid-March by ceasing all elective surgeries and converting units to Coronavirus patients-only. We don't have that many cases, and LA county had a couple quiet days of increasingly fewer new cases, but it shot back up yesterday. The big concern is according to leadership most of the system's revenue comes from those same elective surgeries that were stopped last month. 

Glad to read everyone's doing well.
  • edited April 18
    TK23Blue said:
    Scottsdale walking a doctor thru a surgery over the phone..with a Maker's and Coke in hand?  What could go wrong?  Ha.  Seriously, glad to hear you guys are staying safe and holding up (as best you can anyway.) My company is considered an "essential service" and I'm in sales so somehow that includes me too. Can't wait to go back to being "non-essential" again. ;) I still go in every day but we sent home all of our CAD ops, Engineers, and estimators. I can't see any customers so that sucks and it's very strange driving these freeways. Never thought I'd miss a traffic jam.  Very few of our projects have stopped (the new Rams stadium is full speed ahead) but a few have been postponed. (We're redoing the interiors at the Staples Center in LA and AEG has postponed it until July 1. Purely money issues since AEG isn't selling a lot of tickets these days.)  But like my wife said, I've been prepping for this day for 10 years, the only thing missing is sports.  (Translated I'm taking that to mean I never get out of my recliner anyway so nothing has changed ;)  I feel reasonably safe in my job but who knows? Just looking forward to when we can talk M football again, hopefully in September. Although this crisis certainly puts things in perspective.  Stay safe gents!  
    Glad you got outta the house for a while.   :p

• We’re gonna start to see more of this....

Go Blue!!
  • Unfortunately due in part to the Fake President 
  • edited April 18
    Unfortunately due in part to the Fake President 
    Trump's a dangerous, incompetent dope, but the DNC told people in WI and IL to go out and vote in person, and NY is a fvcking mess, so it isn't exactly like the Dems give a squirt either.

I just wish more people recognized how little both parties care about average Americans. A one-time $1,200 payment versus billions to bailout corporations who've spent the last 10 years using all their excess cash to buy back their own stock is a damn shame. 
  • Or the ones that when finding out about the virus sold their stocks.
  • It takes some real special kind of stupid to look at our politicians and think they give one moment's thought to the average American.

Go Blue!!
  • I wonder if one of the main reasons the stimulus payment was so low is the government wanted people to be desperate enough that they'd be willing to go back to work quicker than they should, health be damned.

It's really crazy to consider, and Congress won't come back to DC until at least early May, so they are concerned enough that that's how they are protecting themseleves.
  • zjgm02 said:
    TK23Blue said:
    Scottsdale walking a doctor thru a surgery over the phone..with a Maker's and Coke in hand?  What could go wrong?  Ha.  Seriously, glad to hear you guys are staying safe and holding up (as best you can anyway.) My company is considered an "essential service" and I'm in sales so somehow that includes me too. Can't wait to go back to being "non-essential" again. ;) I still go in every day but we sent home all of our CAD ops, Engineers, and estimators. I can't see any customers so that sucks and it's very strange driving these freeways. Never thought I'd miss a traffic jam.  Very few of our projects have stopped (the new Rams stadium is full speed ahead) but a few have been postponed. (We're redoing the interiors at the Staples Center in LA and AEG has postponed it until July 1. Purely money issues since AEG isn't selling a lot of tickets these days.)  But like my wife said, I've been prepping for this day for 10 years, the only thing missing is sports.  (Translated I'm taking that to mean I never get out of my recliner anyway so nothing has changed ;)  I feel reasonably safe in my job but who knows? Just looking forward to when we can talk M football again, hopefully in September. Although this crisis certainly puts things in perspective.  Stay safe gents!  

Ha ha!  Love the dude wearing a Hazmat suit while carrying the sign 'COVID-19 Is A Lie.'  
  • edited April 26
    zjgm02 said:
    I wonder if one of the main reasons the stimulus payment was so low is the government wanted people to be desperate enough that they'd be willing to go back to work quicker than they should, health be damned.

It's really crazy to consider, and Congress won't come back to DC until at least early May, so they are concerned enough that that's how they are protecting themseleves.
    Go Blue.
  • TK23Blue said:
    zjgm02 said:
    TK23Blue said:

Ha ha!  Love the dude wearing a Hazmat suit while carrying the sign 'COVID-19 Is A Lie.
    zjgm02 said:
    I wonder if one of the main reasons the stimulus payment was so low is the government wanted people to be desperate enough that they'd be willing to go back to work quicker than they should, health be damned.

It's really crazy to consider, and Congress won't come back to DC until at least early May, so they are concerned enough that that's how they are protecting themseleves
    Go BLUE.
  • I cannot believe how many names are still around this place. Pretty awesome, actually!

@ScottsdaleBlue - my brother went from a cath lab to Gore Medical. It wore him out with all the travel, so he became a temporary stay at home Dad once his wife became a CRNA. 
  • I just ordered this hoping it will keep my wife and I busy for a couple weeks. It's over 2k pieces. 

• I’ve seen that before! Had no idea it was 2k pieces! We are going to need a picture when that bad boy is done!
  • zjgm02 said:
    I just ordered this hoping it will keep my wife and I busy for a couple weeks. It's over 2k pieces. 

Some folks in my tailgate group text had some good advice on building this thing:
    • Keep good lighting so you can more easily tell the black from navy pieces
    • When you get towards the top of the end zones be careful as too much force can cause the pieces below to collapse
    • General warnings that it is not very stable in areas
  • Thanks for the tips, dude. Still hasn't arrived yet, but I'll post a pic if we ever finish it. Should probably both have a divorce attorney on speed dial before we start.
  • It took a while. We lost interest at times, and had to do a complete teardown and rebuild about a third of the way in when we discovered some errors, but we finally got it done.