Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UMGOBLUE.COM

WEEK 12: Ohio St. (#2) @ MICHIGAN (#12) 12:00 PM FOX

Comments

• Bring it over here.

Michigan 34
    OSU 31

Minnesota 38 Wisc 28.

OSU to playoff (fuck PSU refs)
    Michigan to the ROSES
  • edited November 24
    I dont ask for much...I just want a win vs OSU then to run off about 18 more wins in a row over them...lol be nice to build up that 30 game lead in the series again. 
  • I want to see it. I want to see us finally throw this monkey off our backs & get back to making this rivalry great again. But I just can’t, too many things would have to go our way. And we all know, too well, we never get the bounces or the calls. And frankly, this season, the Buckeyes are just too damn good. 

As much as it pains me...

Good weather: tOSU 52
                             UM 37

Nasty weather: tOSU 31
                             UM 13

• Last night, I watched 5-5 ASU who had lost 4 in a row and apparently hadn't had a lead in a game since October, beat 9-1 Oregon, who hadn't lost since August, so nothing is impossible. I think the fact tOSU has pretty much blown the doors off of every team is a good thing. These are still kids. What happens if Fields get knocked down a few times? If the Bucs fall behind early by a couple scores like the game a couple years back?

I'd say UM is due, but we've all been saying that for years. Isn't a game like this one when Michigan truly owned John Cooper? tOSU with a super-talented team and so much more to play for coming into the Big House to face a well-coached team who want nothing more than to spoil the Bucs' party?
  • Yep, not seeing it.  This is probably one of the top 3 OSU teams in history, even though their schedule wasn't particularly difficult and they had their 2 toughest opponents at home (just like us). They absolutely destroyed Wisconsin and they toyed with PSU yesterday and they'll do the same to us (again) unless a LOT of things go our way.  We haven't run the ball consistently all year, so that's problem #1. Which means Patterson is going to be on the run all day. Quick slants, WR screens, 5-7 yards to the TE's will be the only way.  On offense they're basically unstoppable.  They run the ball at-will, their WR's are WAY quicker than our DB's, and Fields is a huge problem when given time.  OSU will have to completely shoot themselves in the foot with TO's and penalties and knocking Fields out of the game early would help!  In fact, that's probably the ONLY way we win this game. (He's banged up pretty good right now.)   But I don't see it.  OSU-42 M-20.  
  • edited November 24
    One of my concerns is that the defense leaves the middle of the field open and whoops there goes Fields again for a long gain.  Obviously need Patterson even more sharper with his passes -no more over throws and too quick of his reads.  The running game has not been doing a great job lately so this is a key.  Also PLEASE no more wildcats and PLEASE PLEASE Shea KEEP the ball once in awhile.  Like a lot of people has said hopefully the same results as the 69 season where OSU came to AA with the best team of their history and UM had 2 losses (including a blowout to Missouri) and still beat them.
  • I think we keep this close. I don’t think either team gets up by more than 2 scores. I think Brown has been prepping for this since last year installing zone and dropping into quarters coverage. Have to account for Field’s legs. Gill has to be the guy to spy him, especially on 3rd down. 

On offense we are playing as well as we have all season. If we are going to run it has to be the zone read towards Young. And Patterson has to make the right read and keep it. Penn State basically caused Young to be a non-factor for a quarter and a half running the zone read toward him. 

If we do get into an obvious passing down we have to double young with either a TE or a RB. Can’t leave our tackles one on one against him. Penn State trues that and it was a disaster. 

I also think we have the motivation on our side. The boys are as pumped as you can be. We have been tested this season. We have faced adversity and they haven’t. We will ride the momentum of the home crowd. 

I think we are close but I think Ohio State makes one or two more plays then we do. Ohio State by 7. 
  • Fields hasn't been required to make a clutch throw in the 2nd half of a game all year so IF we can keep it close going into the 4th, we'll obviously have a good chance.  But that's a HUGE if.  (Some argue home field and "more motivation" than them could be the difference.  That hasn't helped us in the past 15 years-no reason to think it will now.  OSU will be plenty motivated.)
  • On obvious passing downs when we double Young it needs to be with a tackle & Ben Mason. I don’t like Haskins or Charbonnet or either TE chipping him. Let Mason hit him in the mouth with a head of steam & few times & see what he’s really made of. 

Should be able to run some QB draws out of that look in the 2nd half if we run it enough in the first. And Patterson is going to HAVE to run to get the W. 

Our WR’s are going to have to play out of their minds, & the staff is going to have to scheme, & create separation quickly. 3/4 steps & ball out if you’re dropping back. Roll the pocket away from Young & run some rubs, curls, comebacks. Then double moves off those. 

God if I wish we had a real offensive staff. I think this Buckeyes D is beatable with the proper game plan & execution. 

I don't like anything about this matchup for our D. Don Brown had better be prepared to play bend don’t break & stop them in the red zone & force FG’s. It’s the only way. Gotta find a way to hit Fields without constantly blitzing. Someone’s gona have to ball out on that D line. 

No TO’s, no pre-snap penalties & Hudson blocks a punt...

I want to believe.
  • AP Poll Puts Michigan #10

ITS A TOP 10 MATCHUP BOYS
  • Put Fields on his keester legally quite a  few times.
  • zjgm02 said:
    Last night, I watched 5-5 ASU who had lost 4 in a row and apparently hadn't had a lead in a game since October, beat 9-1 Oregon, who hadn't lost since August, so nothing is impossible. I think the fact tOSU has pretty much blown the doors off of every team is a good thing. These are still kids. What happens if Fields get knocked down a few times? If the Bucs fall behind early by a couple scores like the game a couple years back?

I'd say UM is due, but we've all been saying that for years. Isn't a game like this one when Michigan truly owned John Cooper? tOSU with a super-talented team and so much more to play for coming into the Big House to face a well-coached team who want nothing more than to spoil the Bucs' party?
    I agree with everything you just said ... that's why the games are always played. Cooper was consistently terrible in big games his entire career and more importantly against Michigan. I think it's more accurate to say Harbaugh is Michigan's Cooper and we Michigan fans haven't realized it yet. Harbaugh has highly talented teams and struggles in big games ... not just against Ohio State.

Go Blue!!
  • I’m more confident in Michigan having a chance at winning this game than I have been in a long time.
    This team has been playing very well, and they’re a confident group finding their stride.  It will take a great performance, no question.  But I’m really looking forward to see this Michigan offense punch Ohio State’s defense in the mouth.  
    Hopefully that one game that Ohio State implodes on itself will happen Saturday.  Could not happen to a more deserving group.

No predictions other than just do whatever you have to do to win, and for once, hopefully the zebras grace Michigan with a deserved call or 20.

Just beat Ohio State!  But wouldn’t it be glorious to see a curb stomping by Michigan on Saturday.  Please, please, please.
  • Awww fuck it. Maybe it’s the fact I live in Hawaii, maybe it’s the Mai Tais I’m drinking as we speak but Michigan wins in a thriller.  We are due boys and girls, positive thoughts this whole week, positive thoughts!   GO BLUE!
  • I didn't see the OSU/PSU game but highlights showed Fields limping off the field after he took a big hit.  Any chance he might not be 100% for Saturday?
  • Fields twisted his ankle and jammed his left thumb.  Nobody is 100% at this point in the season but I don't think either of these will limit him all that much. But who knows?
  • TK23Blue said:
    Fields twisted his ankle and jammed his left thumb.  Nobody is 100% at this point in the season but I don't think either of these will limit him all that much. But who knows?
    Here’s a crazy thought exercise, even if Fields were hurt and needed a week off to be well for the B1G Championship game, would Day be able to make the decision to not start him against Michigan?  
    Even if a loss to Michigan had little impact on their CFP chances, wouldn’t the backlash from the Buckeye fanatics be unbearable?

Which game means more?  Hmmmm. 

Doesn’t matter, just interesting to think about.

Go Blue!  Beat them Buckeyes.
  • edited November 26

As for his perfect record against Michigan as Ohio State's head coach, Meyer called that his greatest accomplishment as a coach, even over his national titles.

"Oh, it's No. 1," Meyer said. "I was raised that you could lose all games but never lose that game. Now, obviously that's not true anymore, that's really never been true. But I was brainwashed. I was in that Woody Hayes Era – that was the enemy."

"That's not a big game, that's not a big week. That's part of life," Meyer said.

Meyer called the preparation for The Game "nonstop," explaining that Ohio State followed every prospect Michigan recruit, that he would coordinate videos about the history of the rivalry and hold meetings specifically about Michigan, and that the wold have a 10-minute window in every spring practice specifically dedicated to the Wolverines.

As for his favorite Michigan memories, Meyer said the 2016 double-overtime game was the hardest game he ever coached in his life, but the 2018 win was probably his favorite, partially because he felt disrespected due to Michigan's "Revenge Tour" shirts and Karan Higdon's guarantee of victory.

"When I saw one of their players guarantee a win, I can't believe I watched that," Meyer said.

Meyer said they even considered trying to add another touchdown – and going for two.

"I'm man enough to tell you that I was horrified of losing that game," Meyer said. "I am not sure what would have happened had we lost that game. ... I just can't imagine losing."

Go Blue!!
  • Don't forget about Maddison. He knows what goes on up there.
  • OSU is now ranked #1 in the CFP heading into Saturday’s game at The Big House.

Go Blue!!
  • OSU is now ranked #1 in the CFP heading into Saturday’s game at The Big House.

Go Blue!!
    Knocking them off would be so sweet and would erase so much of the pain of recent years. Come on boys!
  • Does anything that happened over the past four weeks even matter if we lose to Ohio State?

Go Blue!!
  • edited November 27
    IMO if UM loses the season would go from an almost great season to a good season.
  • Beat all 3 rivals (while one of them is #1 in the CFP), win our bowl game and finish with 11 wins?  One of the best seasons in M history.  Beat ND and MSU, lose to OSU and win our bowl game for 10 wins? Pretty good season. (I won't jump up and down over losing to OSU-I'm not sure anyone is going to beat them this year.)  Lose to OSU and lose our bowl game (again) for a 9-4 season?  Shit season and the pitch forks will be out again for Harbaugh as ND would be the only win over a legitimate team all year.  Not good.  
  • Does anything that happened over the past four weeks even matter if we lose to Ohio State?

Go Blue!!
    Nope. Harbaugh’s already proven he can finish 3rd in the B1G East. He has yet to prove he can beat, or even consistently compete with, tOSU. From here on all that matters is beating tOSU & winning the B1G Championship. Anything less than that must be looked at as a failure.

You said it yourself, quit telling me how rocky the water is. Just dock the damn boat!

Harbaugh’s in year 5. He’s got a senior QB. He’s playing at home. He has a humiliating beatdown from last season to use as motivation. He was the preseason B1G favorite. The opposing D-coordinator was on his staff for years, he should know exactly how to beat his ass. And he nothing to lose!

Playing against his biggest rival who’s got a 1st year head coach, a 1st year transfer QB, a team that hasn’t played any top 25 teams on the road this season. 

No more excuses, no more bullshit, go beat the shit out of tOSU & build toward a championship season next year or forever be OSU’s doormat & mediocre Michigan. 

Go Blue!!
    Of course it does. He installed a brand new offense which we all underestimated how difficult that was going to be with a first year full time play caller. But, the growing pains at the start of the this season is paying off now and should next year as well. 

He destroyed Notre Dame. He slapped MSU back into their rightful place. Now, it’s time to measure up against Ohio State. Where do we stand? Was all this off-season change worth it? Is it working. This is the game to see. 

Go Blue!!
    Of course it does. He installed a brand new offense which we all underestimated how difficult that was going to be with a first year full time play caller. But, the growing pains at the start of the this season is paying off now and should next year as well. 

He destroyed Notre Dame. He slapped MSU back into their rightful place. Now, it’s time to measure up against Ohio State. Where do we stand? Was all this off-season change worth it? Is it working. This is the game to see. 
    +1000
  • Fields is a game time decision. Might we actually get a break for once? Hmmm.   
  • TK23Blue said:
    Fields is a game time decision. Might we actually get a break for once? Hmmm.   
    He'll play. No way he doesn't. No breaks Saturday. Especially from the refs. They aren't going to let the leagues pride and joy get a bloody nose while going to CFP. They are their bragging team.