Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UMGOBLUE.COM

The Day has Come: NCAA will go forward with allowing players to profit

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/27957981/ncaa-clears-way-athletes-profit-names-images-likenesses

New rules to be in place by Jan 2021. 

The future of CFB is now. Now time to use that promotion machine to start showing these 5 stars how playing in front of 120k with the worlds largest fanbase can allow them to profit.  If we wanted a way to catch up to OSU we just got it. UM is one of the biggest national brands worldwide bigger than OSU. Time to get the recruits to know coming here can make them some $$$ if they play good.

Comments

• This won't impact the elite programs (like OSU) in any way.  The elite recruits will always choose the NFL springboards like Alabama, Clemson, OSU, Georgia, (and even Michigan) etc.  And they will continue to choose schools that play for NC's on a consistent basis (that wouldn't be Michigan) so this isn't going to "catch up to OSU".  
  • TK23Blue said:
    This won't impact the elite programs (like OSU) in any way.  The elite recruits will always choose the NFL springboards like Alabama, Clemson, OSU, Georgia, (and even Michigan) etc.  And they will continue to choose schools that play for NC's on a consistent basis (that wouldn't be Michigan) so this isn't going to "catch up to OSU".  
    except if the way they got those recruits were paying them.

Elite teams like Georgia (lost to ND last year barely survived them this year)
    Clemson how bout that 300k to Rashan Gary?

if this becomes about branding yourself to make $$$ its hard to argue that Michigan's brand isn't worldwide to be a top 5 recruiting school every year.
  • Slippery slope. Seems a rule that’s destined to be rife with fraud & abuse. How many high schoolers could Phil Knight or T Boone Pickens “buy” claiming they’re just paying them for their likeness.

I do believe in capitalism, everyone should be able to maximize their income earning potential. And I don’t care for the fact that so many people make such enormous profits, while risking very little, off these young men & their labor while they do the lions share of the work & take the lions share of the risk & don’t see any of the money their labor generates. 

However, these young men do get “free” college educations, make connections that will benefit them later in life & let’s be real here most of the guys (& their families) who are good enough to profit from their likeness in any meaningful way are very likely already profiting pretty handsomely in one way or another. 

And I suppose, selfishly, I do enjoy the fairy tale of amateurism. I enjoy the thought of playing for the love of the game & nothing more. That’s why I enjoy, & care about, college football so much more than the pros. 

Ultimately this is probably a just first step in terms of players rights. But a very dangerous one for college football as a whole. I imagine this will eventually lead to the top schools breaking off from the NCAA all together & creating a quasi semi-pro league.