UMGOBLUE.COM

WEEK 4: Rutgers @ MICHIGAN (#20) 12:00 PM EST on BTN

Time to get fat against Rutgers and figure this thing out.

Typically, you cannot learn much in a game like this; however, we can learn a lot from Michigan based upon their play the first three weeks of the season.

The outcome will not be in doubt and Michigan will win the game. The question is, how will they look winning the game.

Will it be sloppy?
Will we see “Speed in Space?”
How many fumbles or turnovers, if any?
Will Gattis pull his head out of his ass and learn how to call the game? Or, does Harbaugh take over?
What adjustments (and excuses) will Don Brown make?

Go Blue!!

Comments

• Goal one: don’t fumble on the first possession. 

The offense is a mess. How the OLine has regressed is perplexing. 

Can we find a RB? 

Is Patterson healthy? 

What i I want to see is the offense finally click and drop 50 on Rutgers. Yeah I know, “so what it’s Rutgers” well I just want to see it. And even though it is only Rutgers maybe that’s the confidence boost the team needs.  
  • Goal one: don’t fumble on the first possession. 

The offense is a mess. How the OLine has regressed is perplexing. 

Can we find a RB? 

Is Patterson healthy? 

What i I want to see is the offense finally click and drop 50 on Rutgers. Yeah I know, “so what it’s Rutgers” well I just want to see it. And even though it is only Rutgers maybe that’s the confidence boost the team needs.  
    It doesn't appear that Shea is truly healthy. He has a shoulder injury from the Wisconsin game. Listed as Probable. https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27685364/michigan-qb-patterson-probable-rutgers
    Let's hope he's a go...otherwise it's Milton.
  • Deep Blue said:
    Let's hope he's a go...otherwise it's Milton.
    Honestly, I’ve seen enough of Patterson. Maybe give Milton a shot and see what he can do. It’s Rutgers. You’re not gonna start Milton against Penn St. or ND, so this would be a good spot. Rutgers and Iowa and Illinois are the next 3 games before PSU and ND.

Go Blue!!
  • Agreed.  I've also seen enough of Patterson to know he is not the answer!  And that's when he's healthy!!!  Now he's going to be nursing a shoulder injury to boot?  Time to give the guys on the bench a shot.  Knowing Harbaugh, he'll start Patterson and the offense will sputter once again meaning Patterson will play the entire game only to get knocked out late in the game forcing Harbaugh to start Milton against Iowa when he had a perfect opportunity to give Milton a start vs Rutgers that would have at least given him 1 full game of experience!!!
  • Expect the O-line to get a workout on Saturday.  Physicality will be a mantra for this team moving forward.

Doesn’t matter which QB plays, as I’m confident the run game will be the primary focus, with a sprinkling of passing plays.

I’m also expecting a huge day out of Hutchinson.  He is primed to become a leader and certainly has the ability to inspire some emotion and aggression out of a beleaguered unit.
  • Listening to Harbaugh's presser yesterday, it didn't take a whole bag of tea leaves to infer he's aware guys gave up on Saturday and that going forward UM may not have a collection of 11 guys on the field who are the best at their position, but they will be the 11 hungriest guys who hate losing.
  • I would like to see Joe Milton get a lot of early playing time. Is Zach C. hurt?
  • zjgm02 said:
    Listening to Harbaugh's presser yesterday, it didn't take a whole bag of tea leaves to infer he's aware guys gave up on Saturday and that going forward UM may not have a collection of 11 guys on the field who are the best at their position, but they will be the 11 hungriest guys who hate losing.
    Well, that may be a start to getting this $hit show figured out. At least play those that want to put their bodies on the line for their team!
  • Deep Blue said:
    zjgm02 said:
    Listening to Harbaugh's presser yesterday, it didn't take a whole bag of tea leaves to infer he's aware guys gave up on Saturday and that going forward UM may not have a collection of 11 guys on the field who are the best at their position, but they will be the 11 hungriest guys who hate losing.
    Well, that may be a start to getting this $hit show figured out. At least play those that want to put their bodies on the line for their team!
    Amen!  Sometimes the most talented players don't equate to the most productive!!!  I want to see players who WANT to be on the field and WANT to compete and winning IS important to them!!!
  • In this one I’d simply like to see this team quit stepping on their own $&@?. No turnovers, no pre-snap/lack of attention to detail penalties & no more moronic play calling. 

Speed in space is an unmitigated disaster so let’s just get back to being physical at the line of scrimmage & running the ball. Maybe firing off the ball & getting to pound someone will help rebuild this O’s confidence. If we can establish the run game that will open the passing game & maybe Shea can complete some easy throws.

On, D. We’ve fallen off a pretty severe talent cliff. So just like on O back to basics; gap discipline, tackling, limit penalties & get off the field on 3rd downs. Use the field to our advantage when it shrinks, IMO bend don’t break needs to be the name of the game. Giving up FG’s is fine.

It sucks that this is where we’re at in year 5 but it is what it is. Let’s start building toward the future & get back to just competing.
  • What I want to see Saturday:

Enthusiasm - hustling on offense, defense and special teams.

No wasted time outs (this is on the coaches).

No turnovers.

Have fun out there. Guys this is a game you all love.

Mich 49 - Rutgers 7.

Go Blue.

• Hot takes.

Wisconson is going to win the big 10 and beat OSU in the shoe by 10.

Michigan is a 9-3 team that is lacking the R in the RPO... people seem to think this is the air raid offense. This offense is built off spreading it out but using the run game to open it up still PSU running the RPO had 2 RB's taken in the first 2 rounds 1 was Barkey...... OSU had like 4 RB's drafted in the last 5 years. Bama is top 10 draft pick RB after RB.

We have a walk on and an injured freshman behind a line that is getting more people injured than the number of people they block.

Michigan shows what the Offense could do vs the hopeless pit and gives us all a bit of hope that will get broken sooner than later.

Michigan 52 Rutgers 10

• If Michigan doesn't win this one by at least 200 points, I want the entire coaching staff fired and all the players expelled. 

Go Blue!
  • edited September 2019
    We’ve seen no evidence that this team is capable of blowing anyone out. This game, every game, is about being competitive, keeping it close & hoping we can find a way to get the W. 

If any team gets up 2 + TD’s on us we’re in trouble with this O. The D has to step up in a big way.
  • The O-line is such ass. Haven’t had a decent Line since Jake Long. Unreal. 14-0, going to be a snooze fest where no one will be happy with the outcome. Go Blue.
  • Rutgers is hardly a measuring stick of a contest. Gattis on the sidelines does seem to be making a difference, emotionally, however. The D is increasingly suspect.

• I'll take the goal-line stand, though. Nice job, but it's Rutgers, and should never have to come to a goal line stand.
  • Crossing routes... OSU 2018 will haunt us forever 
  • If someone can explain that call on DPJ you are a better man than me.
  • There is hope at halftime; 24-0...but it's Rutgers. There's still plenty of danger afoot, starting next week.
  • 31-0 in the early 3rd. The spread is covered. Let's see Milton soon. The D needs to preserve that goose-egg. Yeah, it's Rutgers, but it's a start back towards redemption.

• I know we have said this before but Milton is going to be something special.

his control still isn't there and he's still rough but that cannon is accurate. even if its something is thrown accurately into the arms of a defender like the last play of the game last week.....
  • Goblue88 said:
    I know we have said this before but Milton is going to be something special.
    Haha I was thinking the same thing. I know it’s Rutgers. I know it’s 4th quarter mop up. But he looks good. Now that means he will look lost in a few years 😂
  • edited September 2019
    Goblue88 said:
    I know we have said this before but Milton is going to be something special.
    Haha I was thinking the same thing. I know it’s Rutgers. I know it’s 4th quarter mop up. But he looks good. Now that means he will look lost in a few years 😂
    Probably but that arm he has is something special I wish they would just let him air a few out in garbage time. There was a report out of practice of him throwing a ball 80 yards. 

He looked good rolling out too. for a QB who out of HS was the least Mobile QB we have recruited in the last few years, he is looking like he is coming along good. Could be a nice QB competition next year
  • Good game today. They did what they had to, but still too many dumb penalties and the receivers bailed out Patterson . A better secondary (Iowa always seems to have at least one ball-hawkish DB) probably knocks some of those passes down or worse.

Next week is the most important game of the season. Was today just because it was a home game against Rutgers, or has the team matured and agreed to play full effort on every play for each other? If they win next week against a top-15 undefeated team, that will go a long way to forgetting last week.
  • Pretty much what I expected out of them today but still not sharp on offense and we’re just not taking advantage of our receivers. I don’t understand it. I thought we had three of the best receivers in the country but then you look at how teams like Alabama and Oklahoma and Ohio State, etc take advantage of their playmakers and you see those quarterbacks thrown for 300 and 400 yards and Patterson is barely crack in 200 yards passing…

Defense still cannot defend crossing routes so if I was the opposing team, I would run crossing routes on every single play. Our tackling is suspect too.

Go Blue!!