UMGOBLUE.COM

Guys, maybe our minds deceive us....maybe Michigan is, and never was more than a mid-tier B1G team..

2»

Comments

• Harbaugh is not being fired. 
    It’s like no one understands this.  
  • No but he may resign at the end of the year.
  • Harbaugh’s not being fired today. But if the team that showed up last Saturday shows up the rest of this season & we end up 6-6 or 7-5 with losses to all our rivals...
  • Wouldn’t it be ironic to see Harbaugh end up in Washington coaching the Redskins and Haskins next year…

Go Blue!!
  • With that said, Harbaugh is not going anywhere unless he wants to do. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong, that’s just the way it is with our team.

Go Blue!!
  • With that said, Harbaugh is not going anywhere unless he wants to do. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong, that’s just the way it is with our team.

Go Blue!!
    Exactly. He may resign but he is not getting fired. 

If you take a step back and look at the whole program from the time he got here till now we are definitely in a better space. However, we all thought we would be in an even better space than we are right now. 

We recruit well. We don’t lose to teams we’re aren't supposed to and until this Wisconsin game we really only had trouble beating Ohio State. 

Im just as frustrated/perplexed as all of you. Were are not paying Harbaugh 7 mill to get these results. We are paying him that much to beat Ohio State, win the Big Ten, and make the playoff. I get it. But the past 5 games have made some of you think we have Hoke still on the sidelines. 

Lets see see how this season unfolds. It’s clear Jim is going to have to work to get wins this year. Let’s see what he’s got. 
  • What the "fire JH" crowd doesn't get is it leaves the program with no options. Who are they going to hire? They either hope to get a Saban/Meyer/Swinney/Belichick-type, which isn't happening, or they give someone less proven a chance. How did the less-proven route work with RR and Hoke?

Change for the sake of change may work at a MAC school, but if a less-proven guy was hired and also shits the bed, the program has NOWHERE to go. They would have fired 4 coaches in 10-15 years, including a legacy who was the best hire by miles at the time. 

It took the Domers several tries before hitting a good hire in Kelly. Nebraska may or may not have their guy nearly 20 years after they were last a premier program. Alabama struggled for years with various coaches before throwing the kitchen sink at Saban.

If the last 10 years should have taught us anything it's that you don't fire the current guy unless you have someone better to take his place. Mike Leach and (laugh) Bronco Mendenhall certainly ain't that.
  • edited September 2019
    Oh I understand full well that Meyer isn’t coming to AA.

I also understand that whoever would get the job would be a gamble (to varying degrees depending on who it was) & in no way would be a guaranteed upgrade. And I don’t like any of the, realistic, names on Vegas’ odds list to be honest. 

But what I understand most is what we have in Jim Harbaugh. And it’s not good enough. If this was year 2, fine. If he’d never had a better team than tOSU, fine. If he didn’t have the $ to pay top assistants, fine. If he didn’t have full control of the program & some of the decisions being made weren’t his, fine. 

But none of that is the case. The truth of the matter is Jim Harbaugh has been given EVERY advantage & he still couldn’t get the job done. Thus far anyway. If we win out & are B1G Champions come December then I’ll gladly sit my ass down & eat my crow. But if not, then Harbaugh has failed 5 years in a row to deliver what he’s being paid to deliver. What other occupation would allow someone to be so grossly overpaid for subpar performances year after year & still keep their position? Politicians are the only folks that come to mind. 

So yeah, sign me up for taking a gamble. I’d much rather gamble on greatness than settle for mediocrity because it’s safe & a known quantity. 

Edit to add... I do believe that there is an institutional problem at UM in regards to the football program. I have no idea if it’s the curse of Mike Hart, the reverence for Bo, what BHF said about the administration not really caring about the team so long as there’s no off the field issues. I don’t know. But I do believe it’s something bigger than Harbaugh. But clearly whatever it is, is here to stay so whomever leads this football program is going to have to find a way to work with or win in spite of it.

• Patterson’s brother posted this on social media....

Go Blue!!
  • Wow...a Barstool fan calling out everyone behind his keyboard. Shocking.
  • zjgm02 said:
    It took the Domers several tries before hitting a good hire in Kelly. Nebraska may or may not have their guy nearly 20 years after they were last a premier program. Alabama struggled for years with various coaches before throwing the kitchen sink at Saban.
    Funny you should mention the domers.  I had a friend say, ‘look at what Kelly has done for that program’.  To which I laughed and said, like you currently with Harbaugh, they wanted him fired many many times.

• The best chance of JH leaving is Harbaugh himself which is doubtful unless a great NFL opportunity opens up but after last Saturday.........??
  • Maybe the Dolphins will go after him 
  • A good read from someone who’s opinion is worth listening to, even if he is a Buckeye...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.detroitnews.com/amp/2431706001
  • I wonder how much teeth gnashing was done in Madison last year after UM manhandled the Badgers?

Wisconsin is NOT Michigan, but over the last 15 years they've been more successful.
  • “I think we’re in an age of criticism, and no matter what happens, someone is going to criticize what you do.” - Jerry Hanlon 

• Harbaugh should be thankful he lives in the age of criticism rather than the age of accountability. 
  • Jabes0623 said:
    Harbaugh should be thankful he lives in the age of criticism rather than the age of accountability. 

Sure because you would fire a guy who is 40-14?

• Sure because you would fire a guy who is 40-14?
    Who you lose to & how you lose to them is just as important as who you beat & how you beat them. 

I’ve had some misgivings about Harbaugh since the ‘16 tOSU game. But last years tOSU game was the clincher for me. So yes, as a matter of fact I would fire Jim Harbaugh. And it wouldn’t even be that difficult of a decision for me. 

It’s really not as difficult as you all seem to think it is to find a Coach who can win 3/4 of their games & get blown out by every good team they face. I think the UM fan base still has RichRod & Hoke induced PTSD. We can do better than 0-4 & 1-9 & 0-7 & 1-6...
  • Go Blue!  Was at a bar last night with my wife wearing my M hat (I live in Plano TX near Dallas) the bartender came up to me and said Go Blue even if we need to fire our coach.  Sigh.
  • edited September 2019
    Jabes0623 said:

Who you lose to & how you lose to them is just as important as who you beat & how you beat them. 

I’ve had some misgivings about Harbaugh since the ‘16 tOSU game. But last years tOSU game was the clincher for me. So yes, as a matter of fact I would fire Jim Harbaugh. And it wouldn’t even be that difficult of a decision for me. 

It’s really not as difficult as you all seem to think it is to find a Coach who can win 3/4 of their games & get blown out by every good team they face. I think the UM fan base still has RichRod & Hoke induced PTSD. We can do better than 0-4 & 1-9 & 0-7 & 1-6...
    Well glad you’re not the AD. You don’t just fire a coach on a whim bc you are ticked off after a game. ND fans were calling for Kelly to be fired after his 4-8 disaster of a season. Probably glad they didn’t. 

And who who are you going to hire then? Who is going to come to a job where if you win 75% of your games you still get fired? 
  • Jabes0623 said:

Considering that Michigan is the all time win percentage team at .730, I’d say you’re logic is a bit flawed with your ‘any coach, 3/4 of their games’.
    Consider this, only 33 coaches have a .750 or better win percentage all time (10 year min.).  Number 33 is Lloyd Carr.

• edited September 2019
    Harbaugh is not getting fired.

Yet...

But it's almost good to see the Vultures circling because maybe that is what is needed to spark the fire back into the man. You cannot lose to OSU 6 times in a row and still be the coach of the wolverines. You can't win 0 road games vs top 25 in 5-6 YEARS and expect to be the coach.

more than likely he has 1 more year if this year goes bad. after 2020 His contract only has like 5 million buyouts left and his contract is up in 2021. You're not firing a coach for winning 9 games a year but maybe you don't extend it and give him the hint that its time to leave. Kinda like how Carr was given the Hint it was time to retire.

Let's see how next week goes vs Iowa.
  • Goblue88 said:
    maybe that is what is needed to spark the fire back into the man. 
    Yes. I want the Harbaugh from the first two years. I want that fire and intensity on the sidelines. The guy who took on Pete Carroll. The guy who slapped Schwartz’s back. 

And Carr was never given a hint to retire. Bill Martin would of let him coach forever because he clearly didn’t know how to conduct a coaching search. 
  • Well glad you’re not the AD. You don’t just fire a coach on a whim bc you are ticked off after a game. ND fans were calling for Kelly to be fired after his 4-8 disaster of a season. Probably glad they didn’t. 

And who who are you going to hire then? Who is going to come to a job where if you win 75% of your games you still get fired? 
    I’m reasonably sure you’d all love me as the AD. 

As far as the win percentage, the numbers alone can’t tell the story. In the numbers every game is equal, but in reality we know that’s not the case. Now if that .727 win % included a couple wins against tOSU & few against top 25 teams & few on the road against top 25 teams & a couple as an underdog we’d be having a totally different conversation.

There are 20 active coaches in the NCAA today with a better win % than Harbaugh. And Harbaugh is paid more than 18 of them. 

But SDB is right, Harbaugh isn’t going anywhere this season & probably not next. So let’s enjoy beating Rutgers down & hope he can figure out a way to accomplish what he has yet to accomplish anywhere. Winning the big one.