UMGOBLUE.COM

Guys, maybe our minds deceive us....maybe Michigan is, and never was more than a mid-tier B1G team..

One (shared) NC in 70 years.  B1G titles are great, but ultimately irrelevant.

A losing overall bowl record.

Maybe the pageantry and mystique that attracted us to Michigan was naive because we were all kids.

Maybe our precious Wolverines have never been the elite program we remember.....maybe we are nothing more than an Iowa, a Nebraska......? 

🤷‍♂️

Comments

• As a fan of any team...would you rather win 9-10 games a year and maybe sprinkle in a NC once every 25-30 yrs...or continue to search and hunt for coaches/leadership winning 6/7/8 games a year for 25-30 yrs only hoping to strike a rainbow unicorn and find the next Saban and win like 4 titles over 7 yrs? I don’t know...I go back to win a lot of games a year and never win a NC or hover .500 and look for that next “can’t mis coach”?

Go Blue!!
  • edited September 2019
    Then we shouldn't be paying a guy 10 million a year to embarrass the institution. go out and pay someone 4 mil to win 7-9 games a year like MSU.

We have the biggest stadium in the nation. The 2nd biggest brand behind Texas in the nation. some of the most updated facilities in the nation (Remember Georgia crediting their 200 million dollars new facility in helping them become a contender? We already have that.....) and we are recruiting as good as any team in the big 10. '

National titles are not how a team should/will be measured.

0-4 vs OSU 0-7 vs ranked teams on the road.  2-2 vs MSU, 0 Big 10 titles. National titles are w/e in todays Bama/Clemson world. but the stats don't lie on the rest of this. Those were games we won 15 years ago. and we need to get back. We ran 3 OSU coaches in a row out of jobs. and caused the great Nick Saban to run away and cower. That is the fire that our teams had. 

Today's team looked like a team of quitters that had quit on their coach. Even the analysts said it There was no fire at all in this team today they looked flat-footed and not prepared to play. or they just lost all will after dumb call after dumb call by the coaching staff. First and goal from the 7 give a former FB his first carry in 400 days.....

if Harbaugh has lost the locker room just like he did in SF where stars were asking to be traded away from him then maybe he isn't the great coach people have praised.
  • Money is no object at a school like Michigan so that doesn’t even factor into the equation.

Go Blue!!
  • Harbaugh still has time to change the narrative as he’s not going anywhere unless he wants to. Period, end of story!

Go Blue!!
  • The institution will never be embarrassed on the field/court/ice. The only way to embarrass the institution is off the field. 

I mean Lloyd won a National Championship. It can be done. It would help matters if you relaxed academic requirements but I doubt that will happen....then again maybe it’s not so far off. To run an athletic department as big and as expensive as ours you need that cash flow and if you continue to whiff on the field eventually the fans are going to stop with the money. 
  • edited September 2019
    The institution will never be embarrassed on the field/court/ice. The only way to embarrass the institution is off the field. 

I mean Lloyd won a National Championship. It can be done. It would help matters if you relaxed academic requirements but I doubt that will happen....then again maybe it’s not so far off. To run an athletic department as big and as expensive as ours you need that cash flow and if you continue to whiff on the field eventually the fans are going to stop with the money. 
    How long you think it's going to take recruits to get tired of turning on their tv and seeing Michigan Embarrassed on the road.

Or the analyst panel today basically silent. but their few takes were something is majorly wrong in Michigan. You don't seem to get at this point there is no more climb. if this is as good as it gets it ain't getting better recruits are seeing this disaster happen and they are starting to wonder if they should bring their 4 stars WR talent to a place to get 3 targets in 4 games if they actually want to go to the NFL. or to get 4 carries for 20 yards when they could go to Wisc and get 3000 yards rusher. We told Johnathan Taylor he wasn't good enough to be a wolverine and took someone else over him..... Think about that.

and you can Like me or not and Hate my Drama queenism. Today was the first time in a long time I've felt embarrassed to be a Michigan fan and that says a damn lot as to why I'm so angry today.

Going to let you in on a little secret I started back to school to finish my degree 3 weeks ago after 8 years off (got my associates in 2011).  I may not be in Ann Arbor but I was accepted and am Attending UM-Dearborn College of Business. Might not be Ross but I'm still paying 750 a credit hour to have a block M on my future Degree and am proud as shit to be a Wolverine finally. I was so excited about us winning today and was about to buy my tickets to go watch Michigan OSU in the student section because I've heard how its a once in a lifetime experience, Instead I'm wondering if this is the start of the rest of my time as a student being the downturn of UM football again. Watching the UM student ticket group I'm in seeing people put up their student tickets for sale as 10x usual rate just because they are fed up. Today hurts. And I'm sorry if you feel I'm an asshole because honestly I kinda am.. But Today really hurts. 

• The institution will never be embarrassed on the field/court/ice. The only way to embarrass the institution is off the field. 

This institution is consistently embarrassed on the field.
  • edited September 2019
    Goblue88 said:
    And I'm sorry if you feel I'm an asshole because honestly I kinda am..

Your words not mine. 

Welcome to the Wolverine family. I graduated from Ann Arbor in 08 and I’m going to let you in on the biggest secret about UM: most people associate UM with the athletics but UM has always been, and always will be an academic first institution. The U cares infinitely more about research then athletics. It’s great when the football/basketball teams win but the administration doesn’t care. 

So no, the school will never be embarrassed by the score of a game. Only if the coach does something stupid off it to bring negative attention to the school does the administration care. 

The sooner you learn this the better. It helps explain so much and takes away the anger. 

And it wont change until the cash stops flowing. But Michigan football is a drug and thousands are addicted. 
  • edited September 2019
    Michigan football is a drug and thousands are addicted. 
    I am ready to rehab. This team has broken my heart enough. My first encounter came at the age of 5, on NYD 1970. My mom the alum took me to the Rose Bowl...which was a loss. I have been to more Rose Bowls than I have digits, and have come home happy a rare few times. The start of 1998 will always be the high water mark, and I am grateful to have been there.

This loss feels like I am ready to say goodbye to a beloved wife on her deathbed. I had to do this for mom, just a mere 16 months ago. Thus, the emotional ties that bind me to the fan family are threadbare. Why am I still here, now? Don't call me a bandwagon fan, but I just may have to let my beloved go, after 50 years.

I need an intervention. Convince me to stay, and we commiserate for how much longer? Let me go, and what oblivion awaits?

This hurts too damned much; worse than when the Tracy to my Ted Mosby (and a Buckeye, at that; we WERE the ESPN TV ad of yore) ripped my heart out, after I stood by her through the miscarriage and hysterectomy. There will be no next generation of Hearteaters. The line ends with me. The love of this program only goes back 2 generations before me, in my family, but the grandfather for whom I am named was born before the program began, so we've been there from the start.

Maybe I don't need to be talked off the ledge. Somebody please push me. I am blinded by my tears.
  • Goblue88 said:
    And I'm sorry if you feel I'm an asshole because honestly I kinda am..

Your words not mine. 

Welcome to the Wolverine family. I graduated from Ann Arbor in 08 and I’m going to let you in on the biggest secret about UM: most people associate UM with the athletics but UM has always been, and always will be an academic first institution. The U cares infinitely more about research then athletics. It’s great when the football/basketball teams win but the administration doesn’t care. 

So no, the school will never be embarrassed by the score of a game. Only if the coach does something stupid off it to bring negative attention to the school does the administration care. 

The sooner you learn this the better. It helps explain so much and takes away the anger. 

And it wont change until the cash stops flowing. But Michigan football is a drug and thousands are addicted. 

My load of Homework agrees with you. Balancing even 3 classes and a full-time job is making my week very fun. probably why I'm a bit on edge today. still getting used to it.

As an outsider, I always had my view of Michigan in high regard in everything. Academics, Athletics, Leadership.

I understand what that M means and is why I worked very hard to get an opportunity to go back to school and even if it's not the main Campus UM was my #1 choice of If I'm doing this I'm doing it here. because a Michigan Degree is just that difference. 

and I do respect we will never be an MSU taking questionable players or Georgia with its bagmen (Untill 2023 changes the rules at least) and thats, not a bad thing. but Harbaugh had Stanford 1 Oregon loss away from a National title game chance. I really hope that I can see it here. or at least 1 win vs OSU

• Wow did not realize Gattis was hired after a 20 min phone call and no formal interview.  
  • edited September 2019
    Michigan was a very tough football team for many, many years.  If not, they wouldn't be leading the nation in HIGHEST winning percentage and MOST WINS in college football history.

However, as SDB states, Harbaugh isn't going anywhere unless he wants to so get used to more mediocrity.  
  • As with all of you what follows is simply my opinion. But since everyone seems to be sharing & this loss seems to be the straw that broke the camels back...

First & foremost, you absolutely, positively, no damn doubt about it can win B1G Championships on the football field at Michigan. As recently as 2016 Michigan had the best football team in the B1G. And we were one goal line fumble OR one 4th & 1 stop OR one fair officiating crew away from reclaiming what is ours. And note the OR, we didn’t need all 3 things to happen to win that game just 1. We kicked tOSU’s & Urban Meyer’s ass all over their field that day. 

So let’s just stop the you can’t win big at Michigan bullshit right here.

What has happened since that day in ‘16 is confounding beyond belief. I’ll always believe that’s where the wheels came off of Jim Harbaugh’s career. He tried to adapt but just couldn’t. He’s made several terrible hires. It’s as though he’s incapable of identifying talented assistants. And spare me Don Brown. His D is a gimmick. And it’s been solved, & destroyed, repeatedly. And the hiring of Josh Gattis has proven to be an epic failure. I can’t believe everyone inside the program hyped Gattis & his O as much as they did. It had to be obvious to everyone that this wasn’t working.  

Jim Harbaugh is a good football coach. And he’s at his best early in his stop. But eventually his act wears thin & that’s where we’re at. There’s no righting this ship with Harbaugh at the helm now. I’ve long said there needs to be a secret committee meeting & conducting the business of finding our next Coach. And I hope there is, because this season is going to end in calamity. I’m talking 6-6 or worse. And by the end of this year it will be crystal clear to all that Jim Harbaugh isn’t the right man to lead Michigan Football. 

Change is coming. And I am glad. 
  • edited September 2019
    Just a guess but the problem may lie with the culture of the university.  JH was really gung ho.  He said that if the rest of the student body didn't want the movie "American Sniper" on campus, by golly, HIS football team was going to see it.  He was called on the carpet and from that time on, while occasionally getting a dressing down from the refs, he has been a changed man.  Something huge is missing in the man's heart. 
  • Just a guess but the problem may lie with the culture of the university.  JH was really gung ho.  He said that if the rest of the student body didn't want the movie "American Sniper" on campus, by golly, HIS football team was going to see it.  He was called on the carpet and from that time on, while occasionally getting a dressing down from the refs, he has been a changed man.  Something huge is missing in the man's heart. 
    Whatever happened to "an enthusiasm previously unknown to mankind"?
  • I guess I'm not understanding the big surprise that this seems to be for people.  Harbaugh is on the same track that Moeller and Carr were, which is: 3-loss teams for the most part with the occasional outlier (97, 2006, 2016) and back in the Moeller/Carr era, you could lose 2 conference games and still win a co-B1G Championship.  Today, 2 losses gets you 3rd in your division.  I realize we can't concern ourselves with competing against Bama or Clemson but you can throw OSU into that group too as they've been nearly as successful.  They made their deal with the devil (aka cash & cars for all) while we didn't.  We've had 3 really nice seasons in 25 years (I can't even count the Hoke 11-2 team.  That was a serious blip.) so what do people really expect and why are they surprised?  Nothing has changed all that much at Michigan but if you're a 5-star guy who is simply using college to get to the NFL, where are you going?  Not Michigan.  You actually have to work in the classroom to get on the field every Sat.

This is not a defense of Harbaugh & Co. The past 2 seasons have been a disaster and when you continually get man-handled against Wisky, MSU, PSU et al. (forget OSU or any other top-ranked team), there's obviously a problem, especially when you had TWO WEEKS to prep for Wisconsin and you knew exactly what they were going to do.  And this past pre-season was particularly alarming with all the talk of Gattis, "speed in space", experienced O line and ya da ya da.  Everybody HAD to know this was bullshit but everybody drank it up.  Patterson is Tate Forcier 2.0 and everybody knew it, yet...There are no game-changers any where on offense (the receivers are good but they're not game changers by any stretch), yet...."Speed in space"?  What speed? And everybody knew that, yet...The O line is awful this year and while they were better last year (explain that) everybody knew this group was questionable, yet... The running backs were a question mark without a lot of experience, yet...

The biggest surprises for me has been the fact that Harbaugh has yet to develop a QB at Michigan (although the 'QB Whisperer' did a decent job with Jake Ruddock) ,his choices and hiring process when it comes to assistants and the lack or grit and mental toughness in his teams.  Harbaugh was smart and played the game like a maniac and nobody ever questioned his toughness but it doesn't seem to translate to his M teams.  Either way, I no longer obsess over this shit like I used to.  I stopped that during the daze of Hoke.  We'll have our moments and we'll win more than we lose but this is Michigan Football. This has pretty much ALWAYS been Michigan Football.  It hasn't changed my life either way.    
  • The best thing to hope for is a PSU-like awakening, circa 2016. Get pounded badly, scratch and claw the way to a couple victories as leaders emerge and an identity surfaces, win a tough game no one expects them to win, and then go on a run. PSU is 32-7 since that 2016 beatdown at the Big House  (UM is 26-12 since that game). 

If UM can go undefeated in the next 6 games (no small job) they can roll into their second bye in great shape. They still control their own destiny, but things look pretty bleak right now.
  • Perhaps we need to close a 50-year episode. 50 seasons ago was Bo's first. I have written before about what I call the Cult of Bo. Harbs was supposed to be the resurrection of it, but it should perhaps be dead and buried, after this season.

The honorable thing for Harbaugh do would be to remember that he is a proud alumnus, and announce his decision to step down at season's end, after the next loss, if not tomorrow. It might be the only thing that would light a fire under the players, and it might carry him over the hump in November, as a genuinely good last hurrah for the Cult of Bo. It is time to not only turn the page, but to close the book. This article in the Freep lays it out perfectly:
    https://www.freep.com/story/sports/columnists/shawn-windsor/2019/09/21/jim-harbaugh-michigan-football-score-wisconsin/2405719001/

The program is back to where it was in 1968. It is time to find the next promising younger coach, and give him the reins. Matt Campbell is certainly an obvious pick, but I am sure that there are others of equal merit and worthiness to consider. That process should begin sooner, rather than later. I might add that there is a quiet resurgence taking place in my back yard, under Herm Edwards; just ask Sparty.

• The program is back to where it was in 1968. It is time to find the next promising younger coach, and give him the reins. Matt Campbell is certainly an obvious pick, but I am sure that there are others of equal merit and worthiness to consider. That process should begin sooner, rather than later. I might add that there is a quiet resurgence taking place in my back yard, under Herm Edwards; just ask Sparty.
    What would a new coach change that the last three coaches haven't? It isn't like the three coaches were all the same. RR and JH couldn't be more different.
  • TK23Blue said:
    The past 2 seasons have been a disaster and when you continually get man-handled against Wisky, MSU, PSU et al. 
    I mean last year we destroyed Wisconsin and Penn State, and if not for one of Dantonio’s patent rain storms we probable destroy them too.

The only problem we had was beating Ohio State. Now...things look different. 
  • Ideally not suffer humiliating defeat after humiliating defeat. Have their team ready to play. Know how to prepare & execute a game plan. Know how to call a game. Have some answers when their team loses. Beat tOSU. I could go on, but if you think Jim Harbaugh deserves to be the HC at UM next season then I’ve got to question your sanity & football IQ. His team just quit on him. On national tv for all to see. It’s over.

This team is 2-3 over its last 5 & the 3 were all absolute blowouts. And let’s be honest, we were lucky to get out of that Army game with a W.

We’re so pathetic that even diehard Buckeye fans (guys I saw cry in the 90’s after we pulled upsets) are texting me saying that they feel sorry for Michigan. I don’t know how things are where you all come from, but for me that’s as humiliating as it gets in sports. 
  • This was to be my personal make it or break it year. Ive been though enough, and have seen enough over the years. Thank my lucky stars Clemson is only but a few short hours away by car. 

Michigan is still my 1a.
    Clemson is my current 1b.

They embarrass me again against bucks, the a&b flip roles. 

Sad days.

Go Blue!

• I’ve witnessed some fan meltdowns over the years, but nothing on this level in a long time.

Perhaps a walk back down memory lane would help; Michigan isn’t perfect, never has been, save a few odd years, even then Michigan got screwed somehow (we could fill a book on this stuff, and people like Bacon, have).  Crazy, I know.  
    For many, the entitlement that seems to be so prevalent today, I doubt anyone could survive as coach of Michigan. At any sign of adversity, off with their head.

Michigan laid an egg Saturday.  Not the first time, and it certainly won’t be the last.  Add in the fact they melted down against tOSU and Florida, last season, and many are ’done with this program’.  Good riddance.
    There are keyboard warriors tweeting players directly, giving advice. My god, grow up.

I love the fanaticism, and deep rooted devotion people have for this program, as it stands for all the right things about college football.  But expectations need to meet reality at times, and right now regardless of whatever hopes and dreams of a perfect season you had, they’re gone.  Sorry for your loss.  

Harbaugh is a good coach, one of the best that Michigan has ever had.  He’s put the program back into position to be overrated (no small feat), yet close also to achieving greatness (‘16 and ‘18) only to come up short.  
    To call him another Bump is asinine.  Do your research.

In 2007, Michigan had a team far more talented than the one at Schembechler hall today.  They opened the season ranked no. 5, and lost to App State and then getting trucked by Oregon.  Unfortunately I was at both those games.  
    The fanbase meltdown ensued and though the team won the next 8 games, they got killed in Madison and lost to Ohio State, then outplayed Urban Meyer and beat Florida.
    Lloyd retired and much of the fanbase was giddy; now would be Michigan’s time to shine.

Enter the dark ages.  

I for one never want to relive that time period.  

If you believe that Michigan will only get better with a new coach, and that there will be little to no chance of repeating a RichRod/Hoke debacle, you are simply delusional.

• Wow...perspective. Imagine that. UM beat Wisconsin worse last year than how the Badgers ran over Michigan last Saturday, and a year later Wisky looks like world-beaters. There's time to turn things around. Two of the next 3 games are at home, and 2 of the 3 games are against weak opponents.

It would be less complicated if McCaffrey didn't get concussed, however, because with how loose Patterson has been with the ball this season.
  • Milton likely moves to #2, and hopefully sees significant time vs RU.
  • anybody seen this one yet? Sighhhhh 
    Gonna be a LOOOONG season 2019
  • Jabes0623 said:
    Just in case you’re curious, Vegas’ odds for the next Michigan HC after Harbaugh is fired...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com/big-ten/michigan-wolverines/the-7-favorites-to-replace-jim-harbaugh-if-hes-fired-at-michigan/amp

David Shaw at 3.5 to 1? Aren't we tired of Stanfords sloppy seconds? Firing a coach who won at Stanford for one who is currently tanking Stanford?

I like Bronco though. Think Urban should be higher on that list.

Luke Fickel is an interesting name I mean he gave Michigan their only win vs OSU in the last 15 years.