UMGOBLUE.COM

WEEK 3: MICHIGAN (#11) @ Wisconsin (#13) 12:00 PM EST on FOX

Michigan opens as a 3pt underdog this weekend in Madison against Wisconsin. 

Some stats I read earlier....Michigan has lost its last 4 games on the road in Madison (2005, 2007, 2009, 2017). Good field!

Michigan is not good as an underdog. They have lost the last 13 games as an underdog. 

Is is this where we see change and the offense we all heard about?

Or, more or what we’ve seen the first 2 weeks?

Is Shea healthy?

Did we hold back the first 2 weeks not wanting to show anything? 

What do do we think?

Go Blue!!

Comments

• Until I actually see otherwise, I'm guessing we will see the same conservative bullshit playcalling we see every road game where we are the underdog?!?!  

All we heard was that we would see this bright shiny new toy that was supposed to be Josh Gattis' offense.  Well, through two games, I have not seen a hell of a lot about this offense to convince me that anything has changed?!?!  Maybe they were holding things back and maybe Shea has been playing hurt.  So will we see this bright shiny new toy this weekend?  Will we see an offense FINALLY open up when we are playing as a road dog?  Will Shea be healthy enough to actually keep the defense honest with his ability to keep the ball and run???  Lots of questions that will hopefully get answered this Saturday!
  • After watching the first 2 games I’m convinced Harbaugh, if he’s actually letting Gattis call all the plays, is handcuffing the O during the week with his game plan. This week will tell the tale for certain. If we’re not running wide open, pedal to the metal (unless Shea is injured & that's effecting everything) on O we probably never will be with Harbaugh as the HC. 

I’ve gotten to the point of desperation with this program. What difference does it make if we finish 10-2 or 8-4? Neither earns us a berth in the B1G Championship game nor a W against tOSU. We’ve lost 15 of 16, haven’t won the B1G in 15 years. What do we have lose? Just go out there & try to put 100 up on everyone. Will it work? Probably not. But again what do we have to lose...

The D will have their hands more than full this week. It’s on the road against a B1G opponent. We need to get the crowd out of it & Wisky our of their comfort zone. We need to jump all over them on the scoreboard 14-0/21-0 if we have a shot. And there’s only one way to do that. Hopefully Harbaugh has the stones & Gattis & Patterson have the skills to make that happen. But I doubt it... 
  • edited September 2019
    I'm never buying that BS again. UM almost lost to Army. Anything they were "holding back" would have been thrown at the wall, trailing Army for much of the last game.

I was fine with the offense in the opener, save for the turnovers. If they protect the ball and throw downfield a bit they should be fine on that side of the ball. Maybe a little more getting the ball to guys with speed in space.

How does Wiscy respond when they give up their first TD of the season?

How does the JR QB respond against pressure? He's been sacked 4 times in 2 games, but will likely see more pressure this week.

On the negative side, Wisconsin was embarrassed in the Big House last year, and they have had 2 weeks to prepare for UM in their own friendly confines.

Protect the ball, get early pressure on a green QB to get in his head, and break a couple big plays using skill players Wiscy can't compete with.
  • zjgm02 said:
    I'm never buying that BS again. UM almost lost to Army. Anything they were "holding back" would have been thrown at the wall, trailing Army for much of the last game.

I still feel like giving the coaching staff the benefit of doubt (why I do not know) for their gameplan vs. Army.  I mean, you have to save your defense as best you can against a ground control, clock chewing offense like Army so I get going conservative with the offensive playcalling.  And I get that Shea wasn't healthy which limited his ability to pull the ball and run in obvious RPO situations.  What I don't get is if your QB's health is affecting what he can and can't do, why not pull him???  I am just hoping whatever injury Patterson was dealing with has healed with the bye week and he will be able to run the offense to it's fullest including making himself an option to pull the ball and run instead of watching the DE continuously crash on Charbonnet because there is no threat of Shea running!!!

Oh and NO TURNOVERS!!!
  • The good thing about this game is that you know exactly what Wisconsin is going to do; you can set your watch to Wisconsin’s game plan.
    What I’m curious to see is how well Michigan’s base defense will be against a power Wisconsin team.

Last year Wisconsin had success on the ground before inexplicably deciding to air it out in the second half.  That was their demise, and Michigan took advantage by pressuring them into big mistakes.
    If Wisconsin holds true to form, and runs right at the D, which they should, does Michigan have enough to stop them?

On offense, will Michigan take advantage of the wealth of talent at receiver?  We know exactly what the potential is, it’s a great opportunity to see how much Gattis is willing to put the opponent’s defense in conflict.

These are the games I love to see.  I love this test, because it should tell everyone what this team truly is.

I don’t have the slightest idea what the outcome will be, but I’m excited about the game and challenge.

Go Blue!
  • Michigan opens it up Shea is healthy. Wisconson comes to play but we do to them what we did to them last year and just play better. Ends up close but the D stuffs a 4th and 7 from the 40 to get to victory formation.

Michigan 31 Wisconson 24
  • Both of the lines and obviously the game plan have been a disappointment for me.  Hoping for more QB roll outs and throwing the ball down field.  I thought before the season this game was the first key game of the season.  Do not expect a victory but hoping for a close game.
  • A Harbaugh-Michigan team against a ranked opponent on the road?  What else really needs to be said?  
  • What I'm hoping for is to see a truly healthy team for the first time all season.  Runyan should be back on the o-line which should be a big addition.  DPJ will hopefully be a go but Ronny Bell came back really well in week 2 after a disappointing opener.  And will we finally see a healthy Shea able to fully run this offense the way it was intended to be ran?  

Of course, all of those potential positives could be negated if Harbaugh continues to play ultra conservative on offense as we always seem to do on the road vs. ranked opponents?!?!
  • Bredeson is a man now. Listen to the last couple minutes of this interview. It has very little to do with football, but everything to do with perspective and growing up.

• Right now, the forecast is calling for 40% chance of thunderstorms Saturday.

Go Blue!!
  • Charbonnet needs to have his knee scoped? Anybody else heard this? Out 3-4 weeks.
  • Rumors are going back and forth about this.  Some say he will play in pain and have the procedure later.  He has missed practices some say. 
  • I have no idea if he needs a scope or not.

But IF he does & the Coaches let him play then shame on them. We’re not talking about a senior & being 11-0 & getting ready to play tOSU for a spot in Indy. Where some risk would be worth the potential reward. This is an 18 year old kid, 2 games into his career, playing on a team that’s going to go end up 9-4. Hopefully the adults around him guide him to do the right thing. 
  • “There has been no surgery,” he said. “And I’ve confirmed that with those inside Schembechler Hall, and I saw Zach yesterday walking around the building with no limp, no crutches. I don’t know where this rumor started, but to all of my knowledge it’s not true, and I fully expect to see him line up again as the starting running back for Michigan on Saturday when they face Wisconsin.”
    From Jon Jansen.

Go Blue!!
  • That's good news on Charbonnet!  

Is DPJ still out this week?  I thought he could have played 2 weeks ago vs Army but was held back for precautionary reasons.  If he is still out, I can't believe how snake bitten we seem to be at the receiver position.  I mean, it seems always one of the two between DPJ and Tarik are always hurt!!!
  • Good news. Kid has the makings of a stud RB.

Generally I hate hypotheticals, but...the way the first two games played out I can’t help but wonder if there’s any scenario (other than injury) in which Patterson gets sat & McCaffery gets to take over. 

I know its on the road in a tough environment & obviously it would be in a tough spot in the game because if all was well it wouldn’t even be a consideration. But if Patterson puts a couple balls on the turf in the 1st quarter, or even half, or were down at the half 17-3 (or similar) & the O is sputtering & out of sync or he misses a few, more, wide open receivers. I mean at some point Harbaugh has to be willing, & able, to make that change at QB. Right???
  • MGoBrew said:
    That's good news on Charbonnet!  

Is DPJ still out this week?  I thought he could have played 2 weeks ago vs Army but was held back for precautionary reasons.  If he is still out, I can't believe how snake bitten we seem to be at the receiver position.  I mean, it seems always one of the two between DPJ and Tarik are always hurt!!!
    It may be a blessing in disguise. There may not be enough balls to go around with Nico, Tarik, DPJ and Ronnie Bell. At least no one is complaining right now, that we know of.
  • True!

I don't know why but I have this quiet confidence that the offense and, more specifically, Shea Patterson is going to have a break out game on Saturday.  I feel like Shea is finally close to being 100% for the first time since the 1st play of the season and should be able to finally execute Gattis' offense the way it was intended.  

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part but I just feel like the offense is like a can of soda that's been bottled up but shaken and is waiting to explode. 
  • I'm on the other side of that feeling, Matty. I've been hearing a lot from the players and coaches on the defensive side of the ball for the last week how this Saturday will be a relief as UM can return to its base defense.

If I was the OC at Wisky, I'd be rabbit-eared and come up with at least a handful of plays that depart from what they usually run.
  • The thing with Wisky's offense is that they've already shown some new wrinkles to their offense from what it's been in year's past, ie, using Taylor as a receiver more than he had been in previous seasons.  Honestly, if Wisky knew they'd be coming out with these new wrinkles to their offense, why not save it for Michigan instead of showing your hand vs lowly, overmatched opponents like UCF and CMU???  Is the Wisky QB mobile at all?  That could be a wrinkle that Wisky throws in, but I'm not certain how mobile Coan is or how much of a run threat he truly could be?

Although, we're all hoping that Michigan was holding back lots on what it plans to do offensively as well so we shall see!!!

• The Army game feels like a year ago, with the program being stuck in this seemingly endless  barrage of ‘fire Harbaugh’, ‘this team stinks’, ‘they can’t win big games’, the S&P+ craziness, and now ‘Charbonnet is hurt’.

I can only imagine how badly this team wants  to get on the field Saturday.  

As I said earlier in the week, these are the games I love to see.  Two solid programs with no definitive outcome.  

Hoping for some solid football, and dreaming of Shea having a September Heisman performance.  
    Can’t wait.  
  • Harbaugh is 0-5 on the road against Top 15 opponents.

Go Blue!!
  • Harbaugh is 0-5 on the road against Top 15 opponents.

Go Blue!!
    So you’re saying there’s a chance?
  • edited September 2019
    Saw a picture of the Wolverines landing in Madison today.  My only thought is if they lose Manuel should leave Harbaugh on the tarmac!
  • Jabes0623 said:
    I know its on the road in a tough environment & obviously it would be in a tough spot in the game because if all was well it wouldn’t even be a consideration. But if Patterson puts a couple balls on the turf in the 1st quarter, or even half, or were down at the half 17-3 (or similar) & the O is sputtering & out of sync or he misses a few, more, wide open receivers. I mean at some point Harbaugh has to be willing, & able, to make that change at QB. Right???
    I doubt it. Harbaugh is loyal to a fault when it comes to his QBs. I mean look what it took for him to finally bench O’Korn. As long as Patterson doesn’t break anything I can’t see Jim pulling him. Much to my chagrin.