Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UMGOBLUE.COM

Review – Overtime: Jim Harbaugh and the Michigan Wolverines at the Crossroads of College Football

“Overtime” is aptly named; indeed after the Bacon’s previous book on Michigan football, “Endzone: The Rise, Fall, and Return of Michigan Football,” it seemed that the Wolverine trilogy was complete. Feckless Michigan Athletic Director David Brandon had been cast out, Michigan’s hometown hero Jim Harbaugh had returned, and all was well in the kingdom.

Surely Big Ten Championships and College Football Play-off berths were right around corner.

https://umgoblue.com/2019/09/book-review-overtime-jim-harbaugh-and-the-michigan-wolverines-at-the-crossroads-of-college-football/?preview=true&_thumbnail_id=25052
Tagged:

Comments

• I loved the book.  

I appreciate the storylines of the players, and the needed reminder that no matter how much it hurts when the team loses, I didn’t dedicate the thousands of hours, blood, sweat, and tears.
    Also, my respect for Harbaugh continues to grow.  
  • One of the toughest things in covering the team is seeing players come in all bright and shiney and gradually get worn down. Playing football at Michigan is an amazing opportunity but it comes with a price.

• Great read.  The takeaway for me was simple: you're either going to compete heavily with the blue bloods on the field (Bama, Clemson, OSU, etc) OR you're going to compete with the blue bloods in the classroom. But rarely, if ever, can you do both.  Michigan is as close as you can get to doing both, although the gap on the field is getting wider every year, or so it would seem. (It's been rumored that a certain "school" offered Rashan Gary 300k to sign. In the book he said it was WAY more than that. No way we're going to be able to compete with this level of cheating.)  I'll take doing it the right way all day long but it takes an adjustment to our lofty expectations.  Michigan will pretty much always be a 2-3 loss team, with a 1-loss season and a 4-5 loss season as outliers every 10 years or so.  But we will always be at the top in the classroom and will always churn out top-notch human beings.  Believe it or not, there really are more important things than football. (I think. ;) 
  • TK23Blue said:
    Great read.  The takeaway for me was simple: you're either going to compete heavily with the blue bloods on the field (Bama, Clemson, OSU, etc) OR you're going to compete with the blue bloods in the classroom. But rarely, if ever, can you do both.  Michigan is as close as you can get to doing both, although the gap on the field is getting wider every year, or so it would seem. 
    Great analysis. A few years before the 1997 season I had come to the same conclusion. Hopefully, we have another great season against all odds again soon.
  • I don’t care if we compete with Bama & Clemson for National titles. However it’s unacceptable that we can’t compete with tOSU for B1G Championships.

You can’t tell me that in a country of 330 million people we can’t find 20/25 young men a year who can ball & be successful in the classroom. Clearly the 90’s (& John Cooper)are gone, but losing 15 of 16 just can’t happen. 
  • Jabes0623,

The numbers speak for themselves.  Great view of the talent differential over that timeframe.