Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UMGOBLUE.COM

WEEK 2: Army @ MICHIGAN (#7) 12:00 PM EST on FOX GAMEDAY THREAD

Game 1 was a mixed bag of good and bad.

Army brings a different type of discipline needed.

What will Don Brown have up his sleeve (he’s been preparing for this game since spring?).

What improvements and adjustments will Gattis provide in his 2nd game of calling plays?

What injured players will (and will not) play against Army?

Lots of questions heading into Week 2. 

Go Blue!!

Comments

• The staff has said they have been preparing for Army basically every day
  • The staff has said they have been preparing for Army basically every day
    If only they treated tOSU with as much reverence. (BOOM! Roasted.)
  • edited September 3
    I hate to be that guy. but I think Michigan came into last week treating that game for what it was. A glorified scrimmage. They tested stuff and played around a bit. and still if not for 3 dropped td catches could have won by 30+.

I think we saw glimpses of the offense without the full hurry up. (Speed in Space and hurry up is a concept that teams have used vs teams of the same/higher caliber players) not vs teams you can throw up 50/50 balls all day and 80/20 them.  You don't wear down your players by wasting it vs a MAC team. The pass-first offense was good enough for me to be happy that this team will score at least a TD more a game than last year.

The Defense showed its age. as in young and experienced with some flash but overall not the worldbeaters of old. I think they come out better this week and this one is over by halftime.

Oh, and our new star RB Zack Charbonnet who was 7/7 on Blitz Pickups is a Future first-round draft pick and All-Big 10 player.

Michigan 42 Army 14
  • Goblue88 said:

Oh, and our new star RB Zack Charbonnet who was 7/7 on Blitz Pickups is a Future first-round draft pick and All-Big 10 player.

I loved that stat as well!  Harbaugh said in his presser yesterday he had pros that didn't pick up blocking schemes as well as Charbonnet has as a TRUE Freshman!

Oh and the 90 yards on 8 carries wasn't too bad either!  To put it in perspective, JK Dobbins had 91 yards vs. FAU but it took him 21 carries to get there!!!  And I'd also be happy to see just Charbonnet and Turner sharing snaps if Wilson isn't able to go!!!
  • This was the game I was most worried for. The triple option is so hard to defend bc you need to do your job on D every single time and you can’t try to do someone else’s job or the next thing you know Army just went 75 yards on one play. 

But. Army did only beat Rice 14-7 so that makes me less stressed at the moment. 

As as far as injuries players go I actually hope DPJ and Runyan don’t play in this one. With us having a bye following this one that would give them 3 weeks to rest up before a tough, tough conference opener. And let’s be real our offense shouldnt need DPJ or Runyan for this one. Black and Collins are dynamic, and if Bell losses his case of butterfingers then we are good. And Ryan Hayes played very well on the line. 

Basically I just want to get out of this one with the W and no more injuries. 
  • Army's chop blocking concerns me as well from an injury perspective...
  • While I’d be shocked if Army actually wins, after seeing our D against MTS, I would be very surprised if this isn't a tight game until the 4th quarter. 

Army’s style of play chews lots of clock & limits their opponents possessions. So hopefully our O runs a little more smoothly in week 2 & we don’t have the wasted possessions via play-calling, drops & turnovers that we did in week1.

I’ve seen the Army Rice score batted around as a reason for optimism, but I’m not buying that as the real Army team. Just as we’ve been preparing for them for weeks they’ve been preparing for us. And no doubt those young cadets were looking past Rice to the Wolverines a little last week. 

Bottom line; run the ball, no turnovers & get stops on 3rd down & we should win this one handily. Come out & perform like we did last Saturday & we might need OT to dispatch Army just like OU did.
  • Score early and often to get Army out of their regular offensive routine. Allowing them to stick around to control TOP is a recipe for failure.

Go Blue!!
  • Our best defense might be our offense. Score, score, and score some more. Get up by 3 scores early and this ones over. 
  • Our best defense might be our offense. Score, score, and score some more. Get up by 3 scores early and this ones over. 

Agreed!  I'd say take the football if we win the coin toss, and take advantage of getting the ball first and putting up a quick 7.  Force a punt on defense and then have the offense go back out and score again.  Army is not a team that plays well from behind so get them down big early and don't let your foot off their neck after that!!!

PS, please take better care of the football on the opening possession!!!  That was quite depressing last week to have all that build up for the season to start and then waiting all damn day to watch Michigan football, only to see Shea fumble the first play of the season and then watch MTSU march right down the short field to take an early lead.  We don't need to duplicate that again this weekend!!!
  • Army held the ball for 44 minutes last year against Oklahoma… LOL

Go Blue!!
  • Rumors has it that Wilson is out 3-4 weeks
  • Army held the ball for 44 minutes last year against Oklahoma… LOL

Go Blue!!
    How tired was that OU defense? Maybe not that tired since they were basically a swinging door all year, but TOP is huge, so UM's tempo on offense will also be huge. Go fast and have a couple three-and-outs followed by Army slowly marching down the field could be a big hole. Of course, if Michigan goes warp speed and scores a couple early TDs then Army is way out of their comfort zone.
  • For the pure love of college football, this game is one I’m really excited for.
    I’m excited to see the challenge Army’s offense presents the M defense, and how they will respond to it.

I certainly hope Michigan will show out in this game, and considering the mismatches that exist offensively, they should.  

Hoping to see:
    - Jackson break a big one on kick off, given a chance.
    - The defense simply shutdown the run.
    - Charbonnet get at least 15 carries.
    - Bell catch a few this week.
    - McKeon have a big day.
    - Lots of playing time for Milton in the second half.
  • Anyone picking Michigan to cover -23?
  • Anyone picking Michigan to cover -23?
    Sure. Why not....

Go Blue!!
  • I want to see a couple more shots down the field. I don’t care when or where, you should always stretch the field 2 to 3 times per half…

Go Blue!!
  • DPJ in street clothes, Hayes with first team but Runyan is dressed
  • DPJ in street clothes, Hayes with first team but Runyan is dressed
    Hoping it’s strictly precautionary with DPJ and if this was a big game he would be able to go. We shouldn’t need him against the Army defense. 

This will give him 3 weeks to heal up. 
  • I’m over the stupid mental mistakes by Patterson so far this season. It’s fine to make mistakes but these stupid ones have got to stop. Better situational awareness. Throw the ball away!
  • Hayes misses the blitz and Patterson decides to lateral to Army. Geez
  • Looks like they haven’t learned anything from last week…

Go Blue!!
  • Why do you split out your defensive line at the goal line?
  • That might change the entire way this game is played now. We were moving the ball with ease. We score there, get up early, and make them play catch up which they are not set up to do. 

Now...we are playing right into their hands. 
  • 4th and 10 on your own 45...

BALLS OF STEEL and Dax hill with the little shake and bake.
  • We have to throw the ball today. I know Jim wants to run but it’s pretty clear their secondary can’t keep up with our guys. Stretch the field and attack downfield. 
  • Piss poor pass pro. Hayes didn’t block anyone and Turner missed the blitz pickup.

Go Blue!!