UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

Michigan hires Josh Gattis as OC and BC's Anthony Campanile

He was Bama's Co-OC.

This should be interesting with Pep Hamilton.

Go Blue!!

Comments

• Fire Pep, please Harbaugh fire Pep!

GO BLUE!
  • edited January 10
    Never heard of him, but he can’t be any worse than what we’ve had. 

Hopefully Harbaugh hands him the keys & sits back & does the Saban Head Coach CEO thing.

But regardless I give credit where it’s due & at least Harbaugh is doing something & not just standing pat. 

Gattis wont have Tua but he’s definitely got a roster that’s loaded at WR, has options at QB & has a solid (if unspectacular) O-line.

Welcome aboard Coach Gattis. Now get to work, we’d really like to kick the shit out of tOSU in November.
  • Solid background, with a focus on WR’s.  I’m sure it will be a similar setup as in the past.... he’ll contribute and Harbaugh has final say.
  • It's initially being reported that Gattis will be calling plays.

Go Blue!!
  • Najee Harris to transfer to Michigan due to Gattis?  Rumors are swirling.
  • Was the number 23 recruiter nationally for the 2019 class
  • Was the number 23 recruiter nationally for the 2019 class
    You would have to think coaching at Bama automatically gives you a high ranking. Haha

You can walk into any HS with that elephant on your polo shirt and talk to every and all 4/5 star kids...and get invited into every singe living room.

Go Blue!!
  • UM interviewing Anthony Campanille from BC for defensive assistant

• YOU SEE JUDY????? lower ranked than DPJ in the same class in 2 years is a stud.

Now if he can do with our WR what he did with Judy and we can find a QB to throw we got something going.

You wanted an OC and Harbaugh went and got a banger. Lets see what happens.
  • One year at Bama as a WR coach and Co-OC, loaded with 5-star talent, and now he's a "banger"?   The hyperbole abounds. 
  • edited January 11
    TK23Blue said:
    One year at Bama as a WR coach and Co-OC, loaded with 5-star talent, and now he's a "banger"?   The hyperbole abounds. 
    You would rather having not won a football game in 400 days before being hired like Pep?

He was ranked #26 recruited in the nation... Making him 2nd highest recruiter on team to Partridge and worked with players like Judy who were coached pretty well. Was being listed for the Maryland OC job too. alot of people expected him to get that job before we stole him. he's 35 and probably got a few years before he starts looking for HC jobs. But he is definitly a rising star like Partridge. Was WR coach and offensive recruiting coordinator for Penn State for 3 years too before going to Bama Making him one of the only coaches on the roster with a Big 10 Title.

Its funny when we hire a Dinosaur people get mad when we hire an up and comer and say he's gonna be good people get mad. 
  • Can't be worse than Pep, who I expect to "find" another job before spring practice starts.

WRs are his specialty and he's listed as OC. Could be very good.
  • Heard all the same stuff when we hired Doug Nussmeier, Scott Shafer, and even Pep Hamilton with his "NFL pedigree."  Love the optimism but for me personally I'd like to see him coach a game at Michigan. What he did at Bama is irrelevant at this point. (and let's face it, any dude on this forum could recruit for Alabama. Please.)  I'm glad Harbaugh has recognized the problem and has made a move and now hopefully he'll stay out of the offense. I doubt it but I'm hopeful.
  • Michigan Hires BC's Anthony Campanile to Defensive Staff

Go Blue!!
  • edited January 11
    TK23Blue said:
    . (and let's face it, any dude on this forum could recruit for Alabama. Please.)

He was big ten recruiter of the year in 2015 while still at Penn State when he was recruiting against us. And is a big part of the reason why Penn State was able to reload for a few years and had a number 2 class above us one of those years
  • Time will tell. I hope it's true of course.
  • We know who's offense this is and until that changes, it does not matter who they bring in and give them the label "OC "…

Go Blue!!
  • We know who's offense this is and until that changes, it does not matter who they bring in and give them the label "OC "…

Go Blue!!
    So are you saying fire Harbaugh? I trust that gattis wouldn't have came if he wasn't going to given the reigns. 
  • Goblue88 said:
    We know who's offense this is and until that changes, it does not matter who they bring in and give them the label "OC "…

Go Blue!!
    So are you saying fire Harbaugh? I trust that gattis wouldn't have came if he wasn't going to given the reigns. 
    Why? He was the co-OC and Dan Enos called the majority of the plays. He was only OC in name but not in duties. He was mainly WR coach and an awesome recruiter.

Go Blue!!
  • Looks like Gattis was on the Harbaugh's podcast.  I want to hear what he has to say once it hits the RSS.

• Honestly, I don’t want Harbaugh to burn the offense down and fully give up the reigns.  What I mean is I’m hoping for an offense that can play anyway they need, to win games.
    Remember how critical it was for M to be able to run the ball against Iowa and OSU in ‘16? Meaning, if they could have, they win those games.  
    Perferably, this offense we’ll see will take advantage of the wideout talent to get those Safeties away from the LOS and allow Michigan to run off of the success from passing.  Then vice versa, play action keeps the D honest, and chunk plays ensue.
    There is too much talent outside not to feature that to help set up the RB’s Evans, Charbonet..(sp?), etc.

“Be Agressive...”!

• I would just like to see us once try using the passing game to open up the run game.  Look at offenses like Clemson and OSU who throw first.  With the weapons we have on the outside, we should be taking advantage of those weapons!  Shea came from a pass happy system at Ole Miss so why not cut the reigns off and let him do what he does best?!?!
  • edited January 14
    Gattis gets 3 years worth 2.9 million. 

You don’t pay him that much to have him coach WRs. 
  • I guess spoilers for the podcast, but Gattis was apparently headed to Maryland until JH called him and extended an offer. This was after Saban had already yelled at him for planning to leave.

https://247sports.com/college/michigan/Article/michigan-wolverines-football-jim-harbaugh-josh-gattis-hire-offensive-coordinator-127843523/

• BHF, or someone else said this earlier but nothing seems to ever come easy for our offense and we get tough yards and tough points which in turn puts a lot of stress on the defense, specifically Brown’s gambling style of play.

Bama, Clemson, and Oklahoma all ran for 3,000 yards last season and had the best lines in football. As much as some things change, things always stay the same and you need to win the battle upfront in order to be successful at the level we want to be successful at.

Go Blue!!
  • We definitely need to be able to run the ball but more important is the sequence.  I read a study on play calling in the NFL the past 10 years and the rush-rush-pass sequence was exactly half as successful as the pass-rush-rush sequence (success being 5 yards on 1st, 4 yards on 2nd, short yardage on 3rd down.)  So the old adage of "you have to run the ball to set-up the pass" would appear to be exactly opposite.  You need to throw the ball first.  I would love to see a study on Harbaugh at Michigan and what his play sequences have been but I know we've seen a lot of rush-rush-pass, which puts a lot of strain on a QB (This killed us with O'Korn.)  At the end of the day, Gattis has never called all of the plays so it'll be interesting to see what his approach is.   
  • TK23Blue said:
    We definitely need to be able to run the ball but more important is the sequence.  I read a study on play calling in the NFL the past 10 years and the rush-rush-pass sequence was exactly half as successful as the pass-rush-rush sequence (success being 5 yards on 1st, 4 yards on 2nd, short yardage on 3rd down.)  So the old adage of "you have to run the ball to set-up the pass" would appear to be exactly opposite.  You need to throw the ball first.  I would love to see a study on Harbaugh at Michigan and what his play sequences have been but I know we've seen a lot of rush-rush-pass, which puts a lot of strain on a QB (This killed us with O'Korn.)  At the end of the day, Gattis has never called all of the plays so it'll be interesting to see what his approach is.   
    Gattis calling plays scares me. He doesn’t have the OL now he had at Alabama as it pertains to running the ball and pass protection. Alabama pretty much moves the ball at will against most opponents.  The pass-rush-rush sequence you describe seems great but you need guys who don’t drop the ball like Gentry and McKeon......then stops the clock and puts our defense back on the field. Especially true in the big games. This will be a whole new world for Gattis.......1) New to Playcalling 2) New to lesser talent.....😂