UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

Greg Mattison to be Ohio State’s defensive coordinator

2»

Comments

• jsj_297 said:
    zjgm02 said:
    D-Line wasn't very stout against tOSU or Florida, so I'm thinking Mattison was told to explore other opportunities. JH seems very much a my-way-highway type of guy, but he also doesn't want to embarrass his staff. He musta pissed Mattison off for him to go to tOSU or maybe they just offered the best deal proximite to AA since his grandkids are still in the area.
    If it's a proximity thing, you go to Toledo, Akron, western or central mi ride your retirement. His choice of schools was personal. Jim pissed him off I'm sure of it. 
    Could be, but those MAC schools probably don't pay like tO$U does. I agree this has to be personal, but I was leaving a sliver of room for GM to get the benefit of the doubt.
  • If he does shit the bed I want the first call to be to Brett Venable... Give that guy the house the farm and everything he is the next big thing in CFB once he decided to leave clemson.
  • If you can’t see that we are in a much better spot today than we were 4 years ago then I can’t help you. 

Are there areas where we need to improve? Absolutely. But stop acting like we just went 5-7 and we need to beat army or the whole program goes under. 
  • edited January 9
    If you can’t see that we are in a much better spot today than we were 4 years ago then I can’t help you. 

Are there areas where we need to improve? Absolutely. But stop acting like we just went 5-7 and we need to beat army or the whole program goes under. 
    Did anyone think App St was gonna be the start of the end for Carr when he went from preseason national title game participant favorite. Returning a Senior QB who passed up a draft to come back for unfinished business after that end to the year before.

I mean he might be chicken little but doesn't change the story. If we lose to Army then week off then lose to Wisc on the road this might turn into a team sitting 1-2 with the hard part of the year yet to come. and Harb's days at Michigan might start to feel alot like Carr's

Again I think we beat army and Wisc. but most people assumed we were gonna beat App St and Oregon too when the preseason projections was Michigan going unbeaten that year.
  • edited January 9
    Mike Trgovac's name is getting tossed around. Probably just smoke but.

9 year DL coach for the Packers won a super bowl with them I think. Was hired by the raiders last year 

Former Michigan All American player and Grad Assistant and has been very successful. could fills GM shoes pretty well. he's on the old side too 60 maybe looking to settle down. Hasn't recruited since the 90's but He knows how to coach. leave the deal closing to the young boys Patridge and Jay get us Men who can scheme.
  • edited January 9
    No I don’t think we’re going to lose to Army. But it’s certainly not impossible either. But if we do lose to Army, Katy bar the door.

And yes clearly the program is in better shape now than it was 4 years ago. I’d say we’re at, or tied with PSU, the top of the 2nd tier of the B1G. We’re ranked right about where we deserve to be nationally now. Mid-teens. All of which is respectable.  

However I’m not interested in finishing 2nd in the East & taking beat downs from tOSU year after year after year anymore. And pretending that it’s all ok because we’re better than we were the year we went 5-7 & the AD & HC got shit canned is asinine. And let’s face it, though we’ve closed the gap on MooU & PSU we’re still light years behind tOSU. And we’d be run off the field by any top 5 team. And that’s simply not good enough.

Maybe losing Mattison & Washington to tOSU turns out to be a nothing. Weird that they would want to hire coaches they spank all the time. But there’s no doubt it’s not a good look for the program & we’ve all seen enough of that for a lifetime. It’s time to finish turning this thing around.
  • Jabes0623 said:
    I just can’t get too riled up about a d-line coach & LB coach. But I must admit having 2 coaches defect to your biggest rival just screams shit show.

I don’t know what the future holds, but it’s hard to look at Michigan right now & envision any scenario in which we’re better next season than we were this season. Our D will almost certainly be inferior to this seasons. Our O, no reason to believe it’ll be anything but the sluggish plodding O we’ve all come to know & love. The schedule, yikes, we get MooU, tOSU, ND & Iowa at home PSU & Wisky on the road. And laugh all you want but Army at home won’t  be a cakewalk, as a matter of fact that may very well be a watershed game for Harbaugh. Lose it & that’s the beginning of the end. 

Bottom line, I don’t think we’ll miss Benedict Mattison or Washington too much. But you have to wonder if their leaving for tOSU (mostly Benedict Mattison) isn’t a symptom of a much larger disease. We all know somethings been ailing Michigan Football for nearly 2 decades now. Harbaugh was supposed to break the curse, but he’s left us with just as many questions as answers & season 5 is off to about as rocky a start as it possibly could be. Meanwhile in Columbus OH. the beat goes on...
    It probably would if they didn’t have great relationships with the coaches they are going to.. I mean Washington’s father played for OSU. He grew up rooting for them it’s amazing that he actually came to AA at all. Most fans like us would never defect. However these two didn’t grow up entrenched in this rivalry except Washington and he was on the red squad.
  • Harbaugh is 2-1 vs Wisconsin. 3-1 against Penn State. And 2-2 against MSU (and let’s face it he is a once in a generation play away from being 3-1). 

Basically Harbaugh can beat everyone not named Ohio State. Does that need to change? Yes. He’s not being paid 7 million to go 0-4 against osu. He was brought in to beat osu. 

But before Jim got here we couldn’t beat MSU to save our lives. That’s changed. 

Let’s not act like Harbaugh is one loss away from getting fired. 
  • edited January 9
    Jerry Montgomery's name is getting thrown around too by Sam Webb on the radio

Coached DL for a year under Hoke. 
    Alot feel he was the man who helped get Hoke all those good DL recruits that made GM's D, recruiting dropped when he left. He was lead recruiter on Derrick Green and Ondre Pipkins Both 5 stars that chose Michigan under Hoke.
    DL coach at Oklahoma for 2 years.
    Defensive Front coach for the packers for 2 years
    Took the Texas A@M job for 2 weeks before returning to the NFL Once the Packers realigned and rehired him as DL coach.
    When the new packer coach is hired most likely will be looking for a landing spot.

he's definitely a riser at the age of 39. not a long term guy but could be a DC eventually. Possible could be convinced to stay a few years as "DC in waiting" as Brown gets past social security age.
  • Harbaugh is 2-1 vs Wisconsin. 3-1 against Penn State. And 2-2 against MSU (and let’s face it he is a once in a generation play away from being 3-1). 

Basically Harbaugh can beat everyone not named Ohio State. Does that need to change? Yes. He’s not being paid 7 million to go 0-4 against osu. He was brought in to beat osu. 

But before Jim got here we couldn’t beat MSU to save our lives. That’s changed. 

Let’s not act like Harbaugh is one loss away from getting fired. 
    Exactly....

2018 schedule:

Aug. 31 - Middle Tennessee (W)
    Sept. 7 - Army (W)
    Sept. 14 - Bye Week
    Sept. 21 - @ Wisconsin (toss up)
    Sept. 28 - Rutgers (W)
    Oct. 5 - Iowa (W)
    Oct. 12 - @ Illinois (W)
    Oct. 19 - @ Penn State (toss up)
    Oct. 26 - Notre Dame (W)
    Nov. 2 - @ Maryland (W)
    Nov. 9 - Bye Week
    Nov. 16 - Michigan State (W)
    Nov. 23 - @ Indiana (W)
    Nov. 30 - Ohio State (toss up)
    Dec. 7 - Big Ten Championship Game

So, that's 9 wins and 3 toss up games. Wisky and PSU will be out for blood after getting embarrassed last season. Michigan will have the better team but Harbaugh teams are notoriously shitty on the road in big games. Split those games (or win both) and that's 10/11 wins right there with the big matzah ball hanging out there on 11/30....

Go Blue!!
  • I would change the ND to a toss up game
  • From what I'm reading here, you may as well add Army as a toss up game too.   :p
  • TK23Blue said:
    From what I'm reading here, you may as well add Army as a toss up game too.   :p
    IDK some people around here seem to forget being 9-6 against Air Force at half.

Military schools are never a guarantee especially one as good as Army. Just ask Oklahoma. Especially an Army Team returning the first 1000-1000 QB in school history who just beat houston by 60 in a bowl.
  • I suppose it’s a good thing; but so long as we don’t implode & lose 4/5 before the tOSU game. Every season from here on out is a 2 game season. tOSU & if we can win that the B1G Championship. 

We can have 50 10 win seasons but if we can’t beat tOSU it doesn’t matter.

I think we all pretty well expected Harbaugh to catch & pass MooU, PSU & all the teams out West (though my guess is Nebraska will be able to compete with anyone soon) the big question was could he catch Meyer & tOSU. We came oh so close in ‘16 but ultimately the answer was no Harbaugh could not catch Meyer. Now the question is can he get out in front of Day. So far it looks like Day is outfoxing Harbaugh. But we won’t have a definitive answer to that one until next November. So no ultimately Harbaugh probably isn’t one loss away from being fired. But he is one loss away from 0-5 against tOSU & no matter how you slice it that’s unacceptable.
  • Sorry osu is NOT a toss up game. That's a solid permanent L until proven otherwise. Not biting on that again. ;) 
  • Technically, the man is right.