UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

Greg Mattison to be Ohio State’s defensive coordinator

Comments

• Sources say He was informed his Expiring Contract was not gonna be renewed by Harbaugh.

Sounds like what we can take for that.

#1 The DL was shit the last 2 games and got 0 pressure and he is getting the blame
    #2 Brown is not gonna take the temple job and has committed to stay with Harbaugh till the end.

His D's under hoke were good but not great given the fact that the big 10 was a shitshow with 55 scholorship penn state in rape crisis mode and OSU with luke fickle one year... and MSU winning 2 titles and getting blown out of the CFP because even the big 10 champ didn't belong anywhere near big boys.

Not sure why they are taking a DC who is gonna be 70 before fall and was considering retirement.. But thats fine we will know what he likes to do.

• Interesting that his contract was not renewed.  Perhaps Al Washington as DL coach?
  • We basically traded our DL coach for OSU's OL coach...Mattison for Warriner straight up.

Go Blue!!
  • We basically traded our DL coach for OSU's OL coach...Mattison for Warriner straight up.

Go Blue!!
    I'd take that trade any day.
  • https://wolverineswire.com/2019/01/07/michigan-football-players-react-to-greg-mattison-defecting-to-ohio-state/

They Pissed.

Calling him Kevin Durant.

":the ones who preach loyalty are the first to leave"

Maybe this fire will get them to woop OSU's ass next year
  • Wonder if hes been an in program mole for a long time now? Just pondering.  That's an awful turncoatish move imo. Contract issues or not. Seems too nonchalant in nature to him. Must not care at all. Just a thought. My initial gut reaction. 
  • edited January 7
    Geez. When will the nut shots end for Michigan. 
  • This doesn't make any sense to me, has to really just be business to Mattison.  I got it, makes sense to want to be DC again but at Ohio State?  For the last 8 years he has been working to beat those guys and now he will be on the staff?  Is this a case of "if you can't beat em, join em"?!  This one perplexes me but oh well, next man up!

GO BLUE!
  • Larry Johnson to associate HC

49'ers DB coach Jeff Hafley brought in as CO DC

Ryan day making work today. Harbaugh sitting at home doing nothing.
  • Don't want to start a thread about a Buckeye so I will leave this here.....Haskins announced he will head off to the NFL.  Who starts next year Martell or Fields (assuming he gets to play)?

GO BLUE!
  • Sources told ESPN's Tom VanHaaren that Michigan offered Mattison a two-year contract extension and a pay increase before his departure.
    Say what? His contract expired and some reports say he was offered a contract and other reports say he was not offered a contract…

Go Blue!!
  • Seriously? You guys really can’t figure out what this is about?

D-line coach at a perpetually underperforming football program with a HC that’s as stale as month old milk. Or DC (or CO-DC as it appears) at a perpetually top 5 football program with a young & upcoming HC where he’ll likely be able to win a couple B1G Championship rings & ride off into the sunset. Yea that’s a tough one...

Everything in life has consequences. Here’s another one of losing 16 of 17 to tOSU. Thanks for all you did to help Michigan Football Coach Benedict Mattison. May you never win another game! 

As for those of us left, maybe next year. But probably not. 
  • Jabes0623 said:
    Seriously? You guys really can’t figure out what this is about?

D-line coach at a perpetually underperforming football program with a HC that’s as stale as month old milk. Or DC (or CO-DC as it appears) at a perpetually top 5 football program with a young & upcoming HC where he’ll likely be able to win a couple B1G Championship rings & ride off into the sunset. Yea that’s a tough one...

Everything in life has consequences. Here’s another one of losing 16 of 17 to tOSU. Thanks for all you did to help Michigan Football Coach Benedict Mattison. May you never win another game! 

As for those of us left, maybe next year. But probably not. 
    Boy you’re just a bowl of sunshine. 
  • Mattison left for South Bend years ago and it seriously ticked me off, but he was going to get paid.
    When he came home, he admitted ‘Michigan was special’, and how glad he was to be back.
    I believed him, still do in a way.

Now this occurs, and there just isn’t something right about it.  Considering the history, the Harbaugh’s and Mattison have known each other for 40 some years.  Something doesn’t smell right about this at all about this.

I’m not buying into anything, but I sure would like to know the real story.
  • Sorry BHF, it’s the truth. I don’t like it anymore than you do.
  • OSU formally offering Al Washington a position.
  • Jabes0623 said:
    Sorry BHF, it’s the truth. I don’t like it anymore than you do.
    Ha, sure. 
  • edited January 7
    Jabes0623 said:
    Sorry BHF, it’s the truth. I don’t like it anymore than you do.
    Ha, sure. 
    He's not wrong Michigan is nothing more than OSU's bitch untill proven otherwise. even the coaches are starting to realize it now.

Beat OSU or recruits and coaches will continue to trade up to big 10 titles and playoffs over 10-3 and criticized in the media.
  • Ha, sure. 
    Unlike you, I live in Ohio. And nearly everyone I know is an OSU fan. At least once a week at work I hear about it, basically every time I get on Facebook there’s a meme of some kind making fun of Michigan football, every family gathering I hear about it, 100’s of text a year from friends. I’d bet in an average year I hear (or see) about tOSU beating Michigan over 500 times. And it used to be MUCH worse.

So yea, I’m as sick of losing to tOSU as anyone. Just because I’m not an eternal optimist & incessant cheerleader & apologist for the program doesn’t make me any less of fan. 
  • Jabes0623 said:
    Ha, sure. 
    Unlike you, I live in Ohio. And nearly everyone I know is an OSU fan. At least once a week at work I hear about it, basically every time I get on Facebook there’s a meme of some kind making fun of Michigan football, every family gathering I hear about it, 100’s of text a year from friends. I’d bet in an average year I hear (or see) about tOSU beating Michigan over 500 times. And it used to be MUCH worse.

So yea, I’m as sick of losing to tOSU as anyone. Just because I’m not an eternal optimist & incessant cheerleader & apologist for the program doesn’t make me any less of fan. 
    You need to get a job that gets you the hell out of Ohio.... I hear Florida is nice this time of year.
  • I live in Florida with a house full of buckeye fans A.K.A. my family. My brother played basketball there in the late 80s. Still couldn’t root for them. I’m not as upset about this than most fans. No I don’t have a if your not here finger pointing issue neither. If you guys look back at our D from 10-13 when he was the DC not really that impressive. Look at our D since he was demoted, and what I see is a bunch of kids that is not only performing at a high level but have been gettin drafted and from here on out will continue to have players drafted over the next few years
  • Eric- is Eli your brother?  If so, I'm sorry bro. 
  • Bye bye Washington now? 

Thank goodness for early signing day! Else this recruiting class would be going bye bye.
  • It's official, Washington is headed to OSU.

Go Blue!!
  • Wow. He was the next hot thing too. Damm.
  • D-Line wasn't very stout against tOSU or Florida, so I'm thinking Mattison was told to explore other opportunities. JH seems very much a my-way-highway type of guy, but he also doesn't want to embarrass his staff. He musta pissed Mattison off for him to go to tOSU or maybe they just offered the best deal proximite to AA since his grandkids are still in the area.
  • How about getting Mike Elston ND DL coach and Larry Foote Arizona LB coach?
  • zjgm02 said:
    D-Line wasn't very stout against tOSU or Florida, so I'm thinking Mattison was told to explore other opportunities. JH seems very much a my-way-highway type of guy, but he also doesn't want to embarrass his staff. He musta pissed Mattison off for him to go to tOSU or maybe they just offered the best deal proximite to AA since his grandkids are still in the area.
    If it's a proximity thing, you go to Toledo, Akron, western or central mi ride your retirement. His choice of schools was personal. Jim pissed him off I'm sure of it. 
  • edited January 8
    I just can’t get too riled up about a d-line coach & LB coach. But I must admit having 2 coaches defect to your biggest rival just screams shit show.

I don’t know what the future holds, but it’s hard to look at Michigan right now & envision any scenario in which we’re better next season than we were this season. Our D will almost certainly be inferior to this seasons. Our O, no reason to believe it’ll be anything but the sluggish plodding O we’ve all come to know & love. The schedule, yikes, we get MooU, tOSU, ND & Iowa at home PSU & Wisky on the road. And laugh all you want but Army at home won’t  be a cakewalk, as a matter of fact that may very well be a watershed game for Harbaugh. Lose it & that’s the beginning of the end. 

Bottom line, I don’t think we’ll miss Benedict Mattison or Washington too much. But you have to wonder if their leaving for tOSU (mostly Benedict Mattison) isn’t a symptom of a much larger disease. We all know somethings been ailing Michigan Football for nearly 2 decades now. Harbaugh was supposed to break the curse, but he’s left us with just as many questions as answers & season 5 is off to about as rocky a start as it possibly could be. Meanwhile in Columbus OH. the beat goes on...