UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UMGOBLUE.COM

WEEK 13: MICHIGAN (#4) @ Ohio State (#10) 12:00 PM EST on FOX GAMEDAY THREAD

14567810»

Comments

• Again.  The OSU game really needs to be emphasized.  THAT IS OUR B1G CHAMPIONSHP!  

• I like the ideas for bringing in something new, especially a true OC.  But I meant what I said in my wall of text up there.  I want to see some pissed off passionate players that want blood in THIS GAME.  Look what Dantonio was able to do with that hate for Michigan.  It worked.  I want them to stop downplaying this rivalry.  I get that they don't want bulletin board material, but when they have better horses and better schemes, what else do we have?  Sparty beat our asses with lesser talent doing the same thing.  I want to see them go absolutely full crazy on that field.  Play with hate. Because I see Ohio State come out with that intensity every year.  I don't see that passion coming from the Michigan sideline.  I haven't seen that in a long time actually.
    THIS!!!  Where has the fire gone from Michigan in this rivalry???  OSU wins every damn year.  You would think they would start overlooking us at some point?!?!  But NO!  They still place a HUGE emphasis on this ONE game!!!  That couldn't have been made more clear this year when they barely got by a BAD Maryland team just the week before and then came out looking like a team that could challenge Alabama on Saturday vs. Michigan?!?!  I thought Jim Harbaugh would bring that passion back to this rivalry as someone who played in it and actually BEAT them but I'm still waiting for it to show up!

As for where this program goes moving forward, I'm not ready to blow up the entire program over ONE loss like our friend Jabes with his predictable fire everyone rants?!  I am in the camp that Harbaugh needs to figure out that his antiquated offenses should be put out to pasture.  Hell, even the NFL is going more RPO and adopting more of the college game offensively.  College spread is now 'PRO STYLE' offense!!!  If I'm Harbaugh, I'm on a plane to Lubbuck TX to do whatever it takes to convince Cliff Kingsbury to come to Ann Arbor to be his offensive coordinator.  

And the notion of defense winning championships should be thrown out the door as well.  When you see OU simply outscoring everyone they play, seems to me, and what we saw with OSU's offense completely making a mockery of Michigan's #1 defense, seems to me offense wins in today's game and until Harbaugh gets his head out of his ass and realizes you won't win by lining up with 3 TE's and a FB and running a 1 WR route, it's going to be the same old story.

Lastly, as much as that loss hurts and puts a damper on this season, this team still won 10 games!!!  I'm disappointed in losing to OSU again, but let's face it, the majority of people were not giving this team a chance to win more than 8 games at the start of fall camp!!!  I'm now anxious to see how Harbaugh responds to this loss.  Can he keep his team together?  Will they show fight and resilience and win their bowl game and use that as a positive to spring board into next season?  That's what I'll be looking for moving forward!!!
  • MGoBrew said:
    And the notion of defense winning championships should be thrown out the door as well.  When you see OU simply outscoring everyone they play, seems to me, and what we saw with OSU's offense completely making a mockery of Michigan's #1 defense, seems to me offense wins in today's game and until Harbaugh gets his head out of his ass and realizes you won't win by lining up with 3 TE's and a FB and running a 1 WR route, it's going to be the same old story.
    Let's amend that because I keep reading it, and it isn't completely true. OU just won their first game against a ranked team last Saturday, so we really don't know anything about them except that they flourish in the No Defense Conference.

You can argue correlation versus causation, but Bama and Clemson are likely the two best teams in America, and both field top-10 defenses. Last year, the CFB final was between two top-10 defenses--Bama & UGA. In 2016, both Bama and Clemson had top-10 defenses. Same in 2015 w/ Bama and Clemson again. Going back to 2014, tOSU had a top-20 D and Oregon was not good defensively, but was 3rd in Total Offense, and they ended up getting their doors blown off.

Defense ALONE doesn't win championships, I grant you that, but a good one helps a lot. Just because Don Brown stepped on his d!ck on Saturday doesn't mean a point-a-minute team with no D will win anything of import.

Use your own example of Kliff Kingsbury. The dude never failed to field a potent offense. They were usually top-10, but never worse than 16th in the country under him. He still got fired.
  • You just need an opportunistic D, not a shutdown D because they don't exist anymore. A couple of key stops per game is all you need from your D. Score at will (or ball controlled like Harbaugh is doing) and have a D that can make key stops at the end of the game (ala the Ravens against the Niners in the SB). Teams go up and down the field too much today and 1-2 stops can make all the difference.

Go Blue!!
  • I get what you're saying z but that great Clemson D just gave up 35 points to South Carolina over the weekend...  

Also, three years ago, Bama beat Clemson 45-40 in the NC Game.  Pretty sure both of them were fielding top 10 defenses that year.  Two years ago it was 35-31 Clemson and again, I'm pretty sure they both had some great defenses.  

I'm just still stunned that a Don Brown defense failed to make the right adjustments and allowed OSU to roll up 62 points.  As you and Scottsdale both pointed out, just getting a few crucial stops in that game would have been huge.  Injuries didn't help any as I don't think Winovich (who has been the inspirational leader of this team all season long) wasn't close to being 100% and Bush going down didn't help matters either!!!
  • Bend, don’t break D makes a lot more sense in today’s game than anything. Limit big plays between the 20’s keep everything in front of you & when your opponent gets in the red zone & the field shrinks then ratchet up the pressure. 

But no D? Hell no. We tried that, RichRod ring a bell? 

Every year at the end of the season we’re always astonished because our vaunted D runs out of gas & gets lit up by a team or two before having the brakes beat off of it by tOSU. So it makes sense for Don Brown to change up some things this off season. Maybe put less emphasis on hyper aggression & more on being ready & able to defeat teams in November. I’d much rather have the #9 total D & beat tOSU than have the #1 D & get embarrassed by tOSU. 

There needs to be a macro strategy for the entire season & a micro strategy for each game that work hand in hand. When we’re up 35 - 0 on Rutgers be more worried about running schemes & plays that get  us some practice for tOSU than preserving the shutout.

And we need more speed, more speed, more speed everywhere. 

On O Harbaugh’s style will work but when plan A isn’t working Harbaugh has to have a plan B, C & D prepped & be willing to go to that alternate plan as soon as it’s obvious plan A isn’t working.  

And he has to find a true playmaker at QB & have the fortitude to cut him loose. Consequences be damned. 

Self scouting must be improved as well, there’s no way Brown & Co. could’ve missed the fact that Watson would be in huge trouble. 

I could go on but I’m getting tired of listening to myself so I’ll leave this with me being in total agreement that something has to be done about this teams psyche when it comes to the Buckeyes. It is unreal how completely they dominate us mentally. 
  • Just when I start to get over the debacle that occurred Saturday, I see Urban Meyer talking about playing in the B1G Championship this week and my anger increases two fold. 
  • TGoose74 said:
    Just when I start to get over the debacle that occurred Saturday, I see Urban Meyer talking about playing in the B1G Championship this week and my anger increases two fold. 
    NW could always beat them to complete the circle of suck.
  • TGoose74 said:
    Just when I start to get over the debacle that occurred Saturday, I see Urban Meyer talking about playing in the B1G Championship this week and my anger increases two fold. 
    I know.  I ran into a Buckeye friend of mine who was getting t-shirts made because they were heading to Indy to watch the B1G Championship game.  Nothing like rubbing salt into the wound?!?!
  • Not to make an excuse. One of the things that bothered me before the game; unfortunately, it was unavoidable. After the Indiana game the talk was about the cheap shots, and health of the players. Now I know it’s your big rival and all, but when one of your major cogs is injured it’s easy to lose focuse. Especially the way that his injury occurred with a cheap shot that was not called. Now let’s get down to real business. All the experts had us losing 4 or 5 games this season finishing 4th in the B1G East. Now you can’t say on one hand you got coaches up above expectations, but since losing to OSU you want to dismantle that same staff. Let’s face it, OSU have about 5 or 6 players better than us. Those players really showed out and really performed at their absolute best. We have players that for some reason Harbaugh want them to get through instead of playing our best players... one of the reasons I was really upset in losing Singleton and Irving Bey during the year. I feel as if they should be in the rotation and Irving Bey IMO is better than Mone.