UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

WEEK 10: Penn St. (#14) @ MICHIGAN (#5) 3:45 PM EST on ESPN GAMEDAY THREAD

"I wake up every morning and I think about (that game)," Brown said Monday night. "Honest." 
"They handed it to us last year. I did a poor job against them. Obviously, the players feel the same way. We've got two weeks of preparation to put our best foot forward and I feel good about us doing that," he said. "You always want to have all your pieces, techniques and fundamentals at your disposal. I'm not sure I provided that to our players (last year) and I told them that. We didn't play our best game (that day), no question. 
"So we want to make sure we understand what's in front of us, both run and pass and we understand the formations they give us. ... Then we have to identify and play fast. That's what we're looking to do." 
Don Brown can't stop thinking about last year's game… Let's get it started…

We got crushed last year in Happy Valley giving up over 500 yards of total offense and getting crushed 42–13.

It's 2 totally different teams going in different directions. Michigan is on a bye this week and Penn State is hosting Iowa.

I can't wait for the revenge tour to continue....

Go Blue!!

Comments

• Amen Scottsdale!!!  I think this game could be very ugly for PSU.  Maybe a repeat of 2016?  I would not be shocked to see McSorely carted off the field at some point if he survives this week going up against a vert good Iowa defense!

Stop 3 of 4 on the revenge tour commences next Saturday!  Lets keep the Revenge Tour  bus rolling!!!
  • "I wake up every morning and I think about (that game)," Brown said Monday night. "Honest." 
    "They handed it to us last year. I did a poor job against them. Obviously, the players feel the same way. We've got two weeks of preparation to put our best foot forward and I feel good about us doing that," he said. "You always want to have all your pieces, techniques and fundamentals at your disposal. I'm not sure I provided that to our players (last year) and I told them that. We didn't play our best game (that day), no question. 
    "So we want to make sure we understand what's in front of us, both run and pass and we understand the formations they give us. ... Then we have to identify and play fast. That's what we're looking to do." 
    Don Brown can't stop thinking about last year's game… Let's get it started…

We got crushed last year in Happy Valley giving up over 500 yards of total offense and getting crushed 42–13.

It's 2 totally different teams going in different directions. Michigan is on a bye this week and Penn State is hosting Iowa.

I can't wait for the revenge tour to continue....

Go Blue!!
    No doubt.  And McSorley is going to be running for his freakin' life.  We have the ability to put a complete beat down on Franklin-can't wait.
  • PSU is considerably worse than I thought they’d be. We’re better than I thought we’d be. It’s at the Big House. We’re coming off a bye. All signs point to a beat down. 

But not not so fast my friend, McSorley has the wheels to put pressure on our D. Our ends tend to get a little too far up the field on the pass rush & that opens up running lanes for a QB who can take advantage of them. The interior of our D-line hasn’t been collapsing the pocket much this year either. That’s an issue with a mobile QB. 

The PSU D is respectable. 

Maybe we get Black back for this one? Maybe Gary? 

Assuming a healthy McSorley after the Iowa game, I think this is a competitive game deep into the 2nd half. We, hopefully, pull away a little late. UM 31 - PSU 17 
  • McSorely burned us last year which is why Don Brown was quoted saying he wakes up every morning thinking about that game.  I like the fact that he has 2 weeks to get this defense ready to inflict a lot of pain on McSorely!
  • edited October 27
    If Jim has the chance he will run this one up. Remember last year when the score was already 42-13 with only minutes left in the game and Franklin was still throwing the ball trying to get another tuchdown. 

My wife and I were at that game and I turned to her and said “Jim is going to remember this. Just wait till next year.” 

If given the chance Jim isn’t  going to let up. He will score as much as he can. 
  • Michigan is coming off a bye and they are notorious for having a slow starts… Can't afford to do that this game.

Go Blue!!
  • Michigan is coming off a bye and they are notorious for having a slow starts… Can't afford to do that this game.

Go Blue!!
    Last year’s “improvement week” came right before the Sparty game.  We all know how that went.
    In 2016, it was against Illinois, with nothing of note.
    In 2015, it was against Minnesota.  Thank goodness for Henry, Glasgow, Wormley, and whomever else was in on the stop.

Agree, they cannot afford to be flat in the beginning of this game.  
  • Michigan opens as a 10pt favorite.

Go Blue!!
  • IMO that may be a little too much
  • edited October 29
    I don’t think so. The guys are loving their “revenge tour” and penn state is a shell of the team that shellacked is last year. It’s also in the Big House and Jim remembers Franklin trying to punch in another TD with a minute to go. 

I think this this may be a big Michigan win. 
  • A coupe of interesting stats:

PSU has led in the 4th quarter in 31 consecutive contests. The  last game they did not lead in the 4th Q was the 2016 game against Michigan in the Big House.

PSU last defeated a ranked opponent on the road in November 2013 against Wisconsin. They are 0-6 since.

Go Blue!!
  • All this talk about Michigan and the B1G and CFP is fun, but I certainly hope Harbaugh is shouting that down, because it’s meaningless at this point.

Double digit favorite, after a bye, at home, with the world singing your praises is a recipe for a loss.
    I don’t care if it’s Franklin coaching PSU, they beat a good football team on Saturday, and have shown the ability to put points on the board.

Michigan will need to show it’s metal on Saturday because, I believe that PSU is going to be more of a challenge than most are believing.

Not sure how banged up McSorely’s knee is, but brace and all, he still showed enough breakaway speed for that long run last week.

Michigan really needs to run the ball, control the clock and wear down the Nittany Lion defense.  TOP, will help the Michigan defense, but McSorely can still do a lot of damage, if Michigan shows cracks like last year.

I’d love nothing more than an easy Saturday, circa 2016, but don’t be shocked if this is a biter going into the fourth quarter.

Michigan began the season with a focus to win the B1G East, get to the B1G championship and win it, then get into the CFP.  
    All of that still is on the table, and Michigan will need every bit of focus, effort, and desire to get through this next hurdle.  PSU is all that matters.  
    Hopefully that is the message Harbaugh is sharing with the team this week.
  • Chris Webber will be an honorary game captain on Saturday against PSU.

Go Blue!!
  • Chris Webber will be an honorary game captain on Saturday against PSU...
    ...to the chagrin of Phil

• Weather forecast for Saturday is looking better…

Go Blue!!
  • Good ole November football weather with the trees changing, winds blowing and plenty of cider and doughnuts!  Wow I miss Michigan at this time of the year,
  • Any word on if Black or Gary are going to be able to go on Saturday?
  • I think I heard that Black will not be available until 11/15.

If I had to guess, I would say Gary does not play.

Go Blue!!
  • I think I heard that Black will not be available until 11/15.

If I had to guess, I would say Gary does not play.

Go Blue!!
    Really? I thought I've been reading that he's ready for this weekend. Is he not progressing as quickly as others are saying?
  • Franklin talking about Michigan DBs:
    “They hold. They grab, they hold, they tug, they pull. They get called for it a decent amount, but they also get away with it a lot more.
    “They’re gonna run with ya and be in your hip, but while they’re in your hip they’re grabbin’ your pants, grabbing your hip, very rarely is it the jersey because you see the jersey, they’re well coached at it.”
    “You’ll see a receiver running and the defensive back right behind him, and they’re both running full speed and all of the sudden, for some reason, the receiver slows down and the DB runs by him? It doesn’t add up. They do a really good job at those things.”
    He's really laying it on thick there to get the refs attention early and garner a few calls - which I’m sure he’ll be granted.

Go Blue!!
  • Which is why Franklin is not respected very much even at his own school
  • edited November 2
    Lol Franklin’s going to need a lot more help than just the refs if he’s going to avoid being the next ass kicked on the Revenge Tour.

Cry us a river, & give the boys some good bulletin board material while you’re at it, Franklin.

I bet Don Brown’s ready for that 4th & 5 handoff lol.

Don't forget to get that resume polished up while you’re at it. Won’t be long until you’re going to need it.  
  • As if the Michigan defense needed any more motivation for this one. 

God I hope we crush them. I think I hate Franklin more than Myer and Dantonio. He is an average coach who got incredibly lucky with McSorely and Barkley. 
  • No shit!!!  Is this guy serious???  I guess the reason why we have the #1 pass defense isn't because of talent, it's because they cheat...  At least that's what Franklin thinks?!?!  He may be taking the mantle of the B1G's biggest douchebag coach away from Douchetonio!!!
  • Everyone else's confidence has me worried this week. Yeah PSU isn't that great and this is at the Big House, but almost everyone can be beaten on any given Saturday, and I'm still not quite sure how mentally string this team is.

I hope the coaches have the guys focused on the task at hand, and no slow starts. Come out like they were shot out of a cannon and get up BIG early
  • zjgm02
    said:
    Everyone else's confidence has me worried this week. Yeah PSU isn't that great and this is at the Big House, but almost everyone can be beaten on any given Saturday, and I'm still not quite sure how mentally string this team is.

I hope the coaches have the guys focused on the task at hand, and no slow starts. Come out like they were shot out of a cannon and get up BIG early.
    Yep. Their D line is very good and with Harbaugh determined to run the ball no matter the results, this one could be FAR closer than people think. We can throw on them but will we?
  • TK23Blue said:
    zjgm02
    said:
    Everyone else's confidence has me worried this week. Yeah PSU isn't that great and this is at the Big House, but almost everyone can be beaten on any given Saturday, and I'm still not quite sure how mentally string this team is.

I hope the coaches have the guys focused on the task at hand, and no slow starts. Come out like they were shot out of a cannon and get up BIG early.
    Yep. Their D line is very good and with Harbaugh determined to run the ball no matter the results, this one could be FAR closer than people think. We can throw on them but will we?
    Have been saying it all week, this game is going to be a tough battle.  I expect it to be close.
    PSU has a lot of talent, with some good kids from our backyard ready to show out.

McSorely is a gamer.  I don’t expect anything less than his best.

This will be a great test for Michigan.
  • We just ran the ball for 183 yards on the #1 rush D in the country. PSU has the 66th ranked rush D. 

We need to maintain some balance on O. But this is definitely another ground & pound game. Line ‘em up & let our O-line best up the PSU D-line. Which excels at pass rushing not stopping the run. Our O strengths line up very well with their D weaknesses.

If the D shows up, we limit turnovers & penalties there’s no reason we shouldn’t walk away with the W.

We’re a 2nd half team. I do expect this one to be tight well into the 2nd half but eventually our run game will be too much & Higdon will be running loose in the 4th.
  • Game day!

Heading to the stadium to tailgate now.

Lets goooooooooooo....

Go Blue!!