UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

Gary Update

https://michigan.rivals.com/news/michigan-wolverines-football-rashan-gary-s-mom-weighs-in-on-son-s-injury

Rashan and I appreciate your support,” she wrote. “He got hurt a week before the Notre Dame game. However, he decided that he could play through it and rehab during the week. However at U-M it’s all or nothing and daily practice is jut like a game, so he never had the chance to rest. So instead of getting better, it got worse. Then the last game he played he fell on it and the pain was unbearable.”

That game was Northwestern, where he notched a solo tackle and two assists. He hasn’t played since, and though he reportedly practiced some last week, head coach Jim Harbaugh said Gary “didn’t feel like he could go.”

“After MRI and CT Scan he was told that if he DID NOT rest, treatment, rehab and continued to play (four to six weeks) the next time he may need surgery,” Coney-Shepherd continued. “So … he followed medical direction, and he’s feeling so much better. To play before that time would be detrimental to himself and a disserved to his teammates, so why would people say he’s quitting football because he has to heal?”

There’s been plenty of chatter from fans, for example, that Gary is going the “Nick Bosa” route and disassociating from college football to concentrate on the NFL Draft the way Ohio State’s end and captain did. Coney-Shepherd put that talk to rest. 

“My son is and always will be a warrior,” she wrote. “My son is a Wolverine! He has pride in himself, his team and his academics and until Michigan plays their last game, he will be a part of the team. He will, however, not participate until he is fully recovered. 

“Now that you know, there’s no need for rumor or speculation.”

Go Blue!!

Comments

• Love Mom!  
    It’s pretty much what most of us believed, he was hurting and doing his damn best to play through it.  Hell, he even got braced up at NW when you could clearly see he didn’t have the strength in that arm/shoulder to continue, yet did so anyway.
    Gary’s heart and commitment to his team will never be questioned by me.  

I’m grateful for his efforts over the years and wish him a full recovery.  For him, I hope he can make it back this season, if not, best of luck with everything he looks to do in his future.
  • Gr8Mckay said:
    Love Mom!  
    It’s pretty much what most of us believed, he was hurting and doing his damn best to play through it.  Hell, he even got braced up at NW when you could clearly see he didn’t have the strength in that arm/shoulder to continue, yet did so anyway.
    Gary’s heart and commitment to his team will never be questioned by me.  

I’m grateful for his efforts over the years and wish him a full recovery.  For him, I hope he can make it back this season, if not, best of luck with everything he looks to do in his future.
    Completely agree!  Hope like hell he can come back, but I won't begrudge him if he chooses to just shut it down while thinking of his future.  I don't think anyone can question this kid's dedication and heart when it comes to Michigan.  If you do, you have some serious issues...

One thing about this injury to Gary is that it has allowed us to see that our D-line will be in good hands with Uche and Paye next year and should still be a strength of this team even with the losses of Gary and Winovich!
  • Yep, agreed.  The kid has a ton of heart and hopefully he'll be back soon.  In the meantime, Uche has been very impressive.  Dude has a motor and plays angry-I like that.
  • TK23Blue said:
    Yep, agreed.  The kid has a ton of heart and hopefully he'll be back soon.  In the meantime, Uche has been very impressive.  Dude has a motor and plays angry-I like that.
    I recall saying this about Winovich in ‘16.  Considering Uche’s production, it will be great to see how more snaps translates.  If he remains as impactful, he would be a potential All American next year.