UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

WEEK 8: MICHIGAN (#6) @ Michigan St. (#24) 12:00 PM EST on FOX GAMEDAY THREAD

It's Sparty week. Let's get it going! Weird shit always seems to happen to Michigan in East Lansing so one of these days I'd like to see something fall in our favor…

Go Blue!!

Comments

• I got a whole lot more nervous than confident going into this game. On paper, we should win this, but it’s now a ranked matchup, on the road, and my PTSD is kicking in.
  • edited October 14
    East Lancing Forecast

• Even in 2016, when Michigan was head and shoulders above Sparty, the game was closer than it should've been.

Sparty is 80th in Total Offense, 115th in Rushing O, 34th in Passing O, and 95th in Yards Per Play. Lewerke is smart and crafty--keep him from running the ball, and don't give him much time to throw. His improvising and extending plays killed UM last year. Remember that tackle where Lewerke didn't actually go down, sort of slide along on the tackler and got a first down? That sucked.

This game means EVERYTHING right now and it precedes a bye, so you do whatever you have to to win. Lots of different looks on offense should keep the Sparty D off balance. I expect to see Ben Mason get much more involved than he was last night, with a least a few runs from the I-formation. If Tarik Black is close to 100%, we will see him on Saturday. Same with Gary.

Whatever they do, DON'T leave the game to the leg of Quinn Nordin.

• MooU seems to always find a way to turn into Alabama north when we play them. 

At The Big House I’d be fairly confident in a W. At E. Lansing not so much. 

Hidgon & the O-line will decide this one. 
  • In 43 of the last 48 games, the team that ran the ball better won the game.

Go Blue!!
  • edited October 15
    Michigan opened as a 5pt favorite and it's gone as high as 7.5pts.

Michigan has been favored over Sparty in every matchup between Harbaugh and Dantonio.

Michigan was a 7pt favorite in 2015 and lost 27-23.

Michigan was a 24.5pt favorite in 2016 and won 32-23.

Michigan was a 10pt favorite in 2017 and lost 14-10.

Go Blue!!
  • This is going to come down to offensive execution and defensive discipline. Can the offense secure the ball and move it effectively. Can the def not give them second chances by doing dumb stuff??? UM does have a QB that can win the game for them and has shown for the most part he will not lose it for you. And of course who doesn't love a mobile QB that keeps the defense guess but that's another topic for another time LOL!!!

This is the kind of game that UM has lost in the past lets see if JH can win a game he was hired for. They are hitting stride at the right time and now time for a mid-term test before fall break!

• zjgm02 said:
    Even in 2016, when Michigan was head and shoulders above Sparty, the game was closer than it should've been.

Sparty is 80th in Total Offense, 115th in Rushing O, 34th in Passing O, and 95th in Yards Per Play. Lewerke is smart and crafty--keep him from running the ball, and don't give him much time to throw. His improvising and extending plays killed UM last year. Remember that tackle where Lewerke didn't actually go down, sort of slide along on the tackler and got a first down? That sucked.

This game means EVERYTHING right now and it precedes a bye, so you do whatever you have to to win. Lots of different looks on offense should keep the Sparty D off balance. I expect to see Ben Mason get much more involved than he was last night, with a least a few runs from the I-formation. If Tarik Black is close to 100%, we will see him on Saturday. Same with Gary.

Whatever they do, DON'T leave the game to the leg of Quinn Nordin.

THIS. We need to spy Lewerke all game and not give up the easy 8-10 yard scrambles because he'll do that to us all day.  I doubt they can run on us and I'm not overly worried about their passing game so keeping Lewerke contained will be huge.  Secondly, Harbaugh cannot get hung up on running the ball over center all game long, trying to prove he's the smartest guy in the stadium.  Let Patterson be Patterson and hey Jimbo, it's ok to throw the ball on 1st down.  Even in the redzone.  Especially in the redzone.
  • Sparty has the #1 ranked rush defense; however, they have the #118th ranked pass defense giving up over 285 yards per game. This could be a game where Michigan has to throw to set up its run game. 

Michigan has been great at home this season, but the road has been something completely different. Michigan was a mess during the first half at Notre Dame and Northwestern in its only 2 road games. Saturday will be the most hostile environment Michigan has seen this year. A slow start in a game like this isn't an option. Harbaugh and the boys have to walk off the bus ready to play and not pu**y foot around.

Go Blue!!
  • Saturday will be the most hostile environment Michigan has seen this year. A slow start in a game like this isn't an option. Harbaugh and the boys have to walk off the bus ready to play and not pu**y foot around.

Go Blue!!

Agreed that Michigan needs to come out ready to play and they cannot afford to sleep walk thru the first quarter or even first half.  The longer you let Sparty hang around, the more confidence they gain and the tougher they are going to be to beat.  Ask PSU about letting Sparty hang around.  We need to get up early and often and not let up on the gas!!!

I also think that TOP is going to be HUGE in this game!  We completely dominated Wisky in TOP to the tune of 37minutes to 22 minutes.  That's an entire quarter more that the Wisky D had to be on the field!  And you could tell in the 2nd half when they couldn't stop our run game!!!  If we can do that vs. Sparty on Saturday, they will be in for a long day!!!

As for the most hostile environment?  I don't think it will top ND at night.  I also think Michigan fans will be well represented as well.

• zjgm02 said:
    Even in 2016, when Michigan was head and shoulders above Sparty, the game was closer than it should've been.

We were up 30-10 in the 4th quarter before we took the foot off the gas in that game.  The final score was not indicative of how close the game actually was...

• MGoBrew said:

I also think that TOP is going to be HUGE in this game!

Michigan State is ranked #6 in the country in TOP, while Michigan is ranked #12, one minute less.

Go Blue!!
  • If/when Michigan gets the lead, keep adding to that lead. Do not settle or get cute and allow Sparty hang around and get back into the game.

Look what happened with the Chiefs/Pats game last night… You have to score points and add to your lead because the other team is always gunning for it.

Different sport but same principle… In 2016, the Cubs were great because Joe Maddon kept telling his team that when they got one run get two more and then get three more and keep adding to your lead and that's what they did.

Go Blue!!
  • MGoBrew said:
    We were up 30-10 in the 4th quarter before we took the foot off the gas in that game.  The final score was not indicative of how close the game actually was...

You NEVER take your foot off the gas against a rival--especially in-state--who beat you the previous year on one of the flukiest plays of all time.
  • I look at losses like a player in that I try to never dwell on--or even think about--them after the final whistle. That said, I went back and looked at the stats from last year. I forgot Michigan turned the ball over 5 times. You just won't win many games when you fail to protect the ball to such a pitiful degree. 

Anyway, the D played well. Sparty gained only 34 yards in the bad weather of the second half, including six 3-and-outs, and fumbling the ball on a 4-and-out. Unfortunately, on Sparty's last drive when they needed a couple first downs to milk the clock and salt the game away, they had an 8-play drive with couple first downs that took almost three-and-a-half minutes. Those were their only first downs in the second half, but they got them when they needed them.

I don't remember how great, but I'm pretty sure Sparty's run D was pretty good coming into last year's game. UM had almost 60 yards on the ground before Ty Isaac fumbled in the first quarter, so even a good run D can give up yards if plays are designed and blocked well...and the ball carrier is hungry. MSU can't account for everyone, so a couple well-designed QB runs could loosen that defense up quickly. I expect to see both Patterson and McCaffrey on the field at the same time, Thomas with a couple carries, maybe DPJ with a carry, maybe another pass from Grant Perry. From the sound of things, this game has been circled on the calendar since the final whistle last year. 

Let's see some urgency.

• IMHO This is a must win game for Jim Harbaugh. For this program.

I admit I was probably a little too hard Harbaugh earlier this season when I said he wasn’t the answer. Perhaps he is, but it’s time to prove it by taking that next step. And this game is that next step.If Michigan football is ever going to get back to what it was, to what we want it to be, we’re going to have to start winning these games. Period. No more excuses.

Ground & pound. I’m assuming we didn’t see much of Mason last week so he’d be well rested for this week. Higdon said “from here on every game is personal.” The O-line, as maligned as it has been, had better be extra salty. 

Its time. We’ve been beaten down for too long. We’ve paid our dues. Eaten our humble pie. And now it’s time to go play like fucking animals. No more tent stakes, no more little brother talk just a straight up ass kicking. 

• Guys I just realized something...if we beat Sparty on Saturday we are all but assured to be playing Ohio State for the right to go to the Big Ten Championship game. 

Even if if we slip up and lose to Penn State we aren’t losing to Rutgers or Indiana. Which means we would go into Columbus with only 1 Big Ten loss which would set up the winner of The Game to go to the championship game. 

If we lose to Sparty then we would need to run the table the rest of the way and we would need Ohio State to beat Sparty and the same set up would occur.

Things just got real.   
  • edited October 16
    Bosa  has left OSU
  • Bosa  has left OSU
    That's the culture Meyer has created....

Go Blue!!
  • edited October 16
    New Forcast for kickoff 40 Degree's Winds up to 30MPH and a 50% chance of rain showers
  • God damn it! Every single time Sparty needs a big win they dial up a rain storm! 

Think about. Last year they beat us and Penn State in crappy weather. Then they beat Ohio State in Colombus a few years back in rain again! 
  • God damn it! Every single time Sparty needs a big win they dial up a rain storm! 

Think about. Last year they beat us and Penn State in crappy weather. Then they beat Ohio State in Colombus a few years back in rain again! 
    Could be a positive. Remember Sparty's run offense is 115th.  They need to be able to throw the ball way more to win games than Michigan does.

• Michigan is 2-8 straight up and 0-10 against the spread in its last 10 games against Sparty. That's not good.

I'm not as worried about covering the spread...but that 2-8 over the last decade just can’t happen.

I don't care if we win by 1 or 100… Just win.

Go Blue!!
  • We’re 9-0 when Higdon rushes for over 100 yards in a game. 

We’ve been steadily opening the playbook this season, no reason to slow that momentum this week. 

Maybe this will be the week we finally run play-action off that two fullback set with Wangler & Mason. Gentry over the middle on that one should go for a huge play.
  • The mismatches both Gentry and Collins create up the seem is just sitting there for the taking...

Go Blue!!
  • I never noticed before that the QB just kinda strolls off the field when it's apparent he won't catch Peppers.

• Should be be an interesting Saturday.  

It has been a long year since the JOK disaster of ‘17.  
  • Looking like the rain could hold off in East Lansing tomorrow.

Go Blue!!
  • Hopefully it will rain after the game to douse the burning couches after a Moo U loss!