UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

Is our secondary really THAT bad?

i was at the game today, so I didn’t get good looks at the 10 or so PI calls against us......

are we really that undisciplnced, or were we getting screwed?

Comments

• There was some questionable calls esp the one that SMU threw the ball way over the receiver out of bounds.  They really need though to work on the rub plays they got burned a few times
  • very undisciplined and too aggressive. Would love to see some zone blitzing as well as pressure with 4. They aren't playing against Tom Brady every week make these average guys beat you with other than a slant because your blitzing 50% of the time.

• We have an excellent secondary.

Go Blue!!
  • edited September 17
    Opponents Passing Numbers:

G
     Att
     Comp.
     Pct.
     Yards
     YPA
     TD
     Int
     Rating
     Att/G
     YPG

Opponents Rushing Numbers:   G  Att   Yards  YPA   TD  Att/G    YPG
                                                    3  118 365   3.09 2    39.33  121.67

Penalties:                      G   Pen.  Yards   Pen/G   YPG
                    in Wins     2  20    192    10.0     96.0
                    in Losses     1  7    52     7.0     52.0

Found these stats online.  Penalties are killing us!

GO BLUE!
  • Edub4Blue said:
    Opponents Passing Numbers:

G
     Att
     Comp.
     Pct.
     Yards
     YPA
     TD
     Int
     Rating
     Att/G
     YPG

Opponents Rushing Numbers:   G  Att   Yards  YPA   TD  Att/G    YPG
                                                    3  118 365   3.09 2    39.33  121.67

Penalties:                      G   Pen.  Yards   Pen/G   YPG
                    in Wins     2  20    192    10.0     96.0
                    in Losses     1  7    52     7.0     52.0

Found these stats online.  Penalties are killing us!

GO BLUE!

Exactly which means they are undisciplined and over aggressive. There needs to be some dialing down of the scheme. I think the over aggression leads to big plays for the other team which has been proven in 2 of the 3 games this season. High risk /reward play calling leads to this.
  • I understand the concern, but this is part of coach Brown’s core philosophy.  We’ve seen it clearly for 29 games.  He isn’t changing.
    He wants to be aggressive and remove the fear from his players by focusing on aggressiveness and hopefully making plays.

Personally, I love the style.  I think the kids do too.  I also fully understand it can cost you, and it has.

I will add that I do see something is off with the secondary this year.  Whether it is the result of a lack of pressure on the QB, or simply a string of big plays that we seemingly expect this defense to make, but haven’t.  I’m hopeful Brown and Zordich get this buttoned down.

• How many times in the past have we bitched about our DCs having our CBs plat 10 yards off the WR only to watch the QB pick them apart?

I would much rather have our CBs play press man coverage and not allow easy releases off the LOS and make the QB have to make the perfect throw.

Go Blue!!
  • How many times in the past have we bitched about our DCs having our CBs plat 10 yards off the WR only to watch the QB pick them apart?

I would much rather have our CBs play press man coverage and not allow easy releases off the LOS and make the QB have to make the perfect throw.

Go Blue!!

• The problem this year is our DBs are not getting their heads around much. They are in perfect position. I mean right on the hip of their guy and if they would simply turn they have a pick just waiting for them. 

Also so we are terrible at 50/50 balls. Right now they are like 80/20 balls. Our guys struggle to get off the ground and high point a ball. Hawkings was in perfect position against ND to pick that ball in the endzone but he got out jumped by the ND receiver. It happen all night at PSU last year and they better get it fixed because that is all McSorely throws. Just puts it up there and hopes his WR makes the play. 

Go Blue!!

yes but there has to be a mix. In the past the DL could not get pressure with 4 so they had to blitz and be  more aggressive. Now they can get pressure on most teams with their front 4 maybe the occasional LB blitz. So why get aggressive on 3rd and 10? A good example was by SMU on sat. They kept stacking the box for the run and on obvious distance downs would drop 8 and Shane couldn't complete a pass in the first few drives. That's what I am talking about. No need to be ultra aggressive on 3 and 9 or 3 and 15 make them earn it especially in todays RPO college football. I can live with some PI and calls but jump balls or getting 20 yards on 3rd and 12 wont beat the good teams and keeps drives alive.  

• Shane left us a couple of yrears ago thank goodness. Shea is still here!  LOL!
  • Shane left us a couple of yrears ago thank goodness. Shea is still here!  LOL!

My god what was I thinking yes Shea not Shane LOL!!!!! It could have been worse I could have said O' Cant
  • You guys take it easy on ole Sugar Shane, he was the epitome of a Michigan Man!

GO BLUE!