UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

Offensive Ideas

Any ideas for what the offense could do to keep opponents honest? Michigan HAS TO get the ball in the hands of guys who can make plays.

A couple gadget plays (jet sweep, reverse, etc.) for Ambry Thomas?

Chris Evans or Karan Higdon in wildcat?

Patterson and McCaffrey on the field together?

Comments

• edited September 3
    I think they are going to have to constantly roll the pocket when we play the big boys. That line is terrible right now. 

When was the last time we ran a RB screen? 

All you can ask for is for coaches to draw up plays that put our athletes in position to use their natural athletic ability to make plays. It just seems like this offense handcuffs guys like DPJ. 
  • The big post play to Collins may have been the best protection all night.  Patterson was able to step up in a shrinking, but clean pocket.  
    On the final drive, Harbaugh mouthed “post” to Patterson a couple of times and finally got it to him. Sadly Patterson never got the chance to make that throw.

I believe until they can prove themselves to be a threat deep, and even 10-15 yards over the middle (we still miss Butt), every team will continue to load the box and bring everyone.

More rollouts.

More Eubanks.

More Evans pass plays.

More deep balls.

Hope!
  • BHF beat me to it. We’ve GOT to start using Evans on screens to slow down the rush. 

And though I know 3 yards & a cloud of dust is a thing of the past we need to use these next couple of games against inferior opponents to find some run plays that this line can actually block. I don’t care what they are but this line has to be able to run block something or we’re screwed. 

Roll Patterson out & run some TE drags.  

Wheel routes with Evans.

Grant Perry should be a security blanket for Patterson, keep him in close running curls, crossing patterns & slants. 
  • edited September 4
    I just think this team needs to find an identity offensively.  Are we spread?  Are we pro-style?  Are we RPO?  I feel like Harbaugh is trying to do too much.  One thing I remember Warriner saying when he got here was how complicated things were for the O-line and how the first thing he wanted to do was to simplify things a bit.  I think Harbaugh needs to do this as well.  This isn't the NFL.  If you look at the most dynamic offenses (Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State, etc) do they even have playbooks?  These are 18-20 year old kids.  Why does Harbaugh continue to feel like he has to coach these kids as if they are in the NFL?  I just wish he would simplify things and let them play!  I just feel like these kids are too busy over thinking things instead of just going out and playing!
  • Do we have playmakers on this offense? Who on this offense scares an opposing DC?

Go Blue!! 
  • Patterson being effective at the rollout pass should scare an opposing DC with his accuracy and mobility.  Offensive line just has to find a way to give him more time otherwise this is going to be a really long season. Not really offensive related but DPJ no longer should be returning punts, I would put Ambry Thomas back there to return punts and kickoffs.  They also need to get the ball to Evans more often, not only running but in the passing game too.  
  • Guys the size of Gentry, McKeon, Eubanks and Collins "should" be a mismatch everytime they line up. Throw some damn 50/50 balls if you have to. That's what Wimbush did on Saturday, and that's what McSorley does a bunch. This is college football fergodsakes not the pros.
  • The only thing is when was the last time one of our WR went up and won a 50/50 ball?
  • The only thing is when was the last time one of our WR went up and won a 50/50 ball?
    Junior Hemingway. Lol

Go Blue!!
    This is something that needs to be worked on in practice!  DB's are usually at a disadvantage because they are usually watching their man and not locating the ball which is why most receivers will win that one on one battle.  Hell, last night Jackson from VaTech was abusing FSU corners on 50/50 balls.  Most of them were underthrown but the receiver was able to make the adjustment before the CB and make the catch.  As was said, McSorely has made a living on this.

Also, with Patterson's accuracy, where are the behind the shoulder throws to the sidelines?  

I just feel like this offense lacks creativity big time which is a big time problem!!!
  • The fact that the fan base is trying to come up with offensive ideas tells me how bad our coaches really are.
  • The fact that the fan base is trying to come up with offensive ideas tells me how bad our coaches really are.
    You are right. Michigan is the first Fanbase ever to offer up ideas on a fan forum or water cooler so every coach and every staff in America is bad.

Go Blue!!
  • Lol, taken out of context but okay. What’s happening on our forum and other M boards goes beyond water cooler talk, and drifts into pure desperation. 
  • Lol, taken out of context but okay. What’s happening on our forum and other M boards goes beyond water cooler talk, and drifts into pure desperation. 
    Fan desperation does not necessary imply program desperation.
  • Fan desperation does definitely imply program ineptitude for a number of years. Pretty sure they aren’t having these conversations year after year elsewhere.
  • edited September 6
    Losing 14 of 15 (or whatever it is now) to your biggest rival GUARANTEES fan desperation. And should guarantee program desperation. 

We like to think of Michigan football as a national power. But the sad truth is it’s not anymore. It’s not even a regional power. Hell its not a state power anymore.

Anyone involved with this program had damn well better be desperate.