Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UMGOBLUE.COM

Around the Country, Season 2019 Edition

Comments

• Gr8Mckay said:
    Jabes0623 said:
    Except Kirby has won an SEC Championship, the SEC East twice & been to the CFP twice. So comparing him & Harbaugh is apples to oranges.
    Mark Dantonio has 3 B1G championships and a CFP.  Would you compare him and Smart?
    Just curious when a ‘bad’ loss can be counted against a coach.
    I’d say that’s a more fair comparison in terms of accomplishments.

However that wasn’t my point. My point was Kirby Smart has earned a little rope. Jim Harbaugh not so much. 

I think fans that root for every team, except maybe  Bama, are for the most part realistic. You’re not going to go undefeated every year. You’re not going to never be upset. It’s easier to accept the occasional low point if you reach a lot of high points. Unfortunately Harbaugh hasn’t managed to reach even a somewhat high point & thus the tolerance for his regular low points is far less than for someone like Smart.  
  • Jabes0623 said:
    Gr8Mckay said:
    Jabes0623 said:
    Except Kirby has won an SEC Championship, the SEC East twice & been to the CFP twice. So comparing him & Harbaugh is apples to oranges.
    Mark Dantonio has 3 B1G championships and a CFP.  Would you compare him and Smart?

However that wasn’t my point. My point was Kirby Smart has earned a little rope. Jim Harbaugh not so much. 

I think fans that root for every team, except maybe  Bama, are for the most part realistic. You’re not going to go undefeated every year. You’re not going to never be upset. It’s easier to accept the occasional low point if you reach a lot of high points. Unfortunately Harbaugh hasn’t managed to reach even a somewhat high point & thus the tolerance for his regular low points is far less than for someone like Smart.  
    Got it. 

On Harbaugh, we differ in points of view.  I do think he has been razor close to what you call “high points”.  He’s a fluke mishandled punt, or a good spot away from having a chance at winning a B1G.  Last year’s Game was perfect storm of all that could go wrong, did.  Coaching included.
    I believe he’s a heck of a coach but knows he’s fallen short of the expectations.  I think if anything, the Gattis hire was a big indication of him recognizing he needed to change his philosophy, offensively.  Right or wrong.
    I do think that given time, he’s bound to succeed, but only time will tell.

• Gr8Mckay said:
    Jabes0623 said:
    Gr8Mckay said:
    Jabes0623 said:

Got it. 

On Harbaugh, we differ in points of view.  I do think he has been razor close to what you call “high points”.  He’s a fluke mishandled punt, or a good spot away from having a chance at winning a B1G.  Last year’s Game was perfect storm of all that could go wrong, did.  Coaching included.
    I believe he’s a heck of a coach but knows he’s fallen short of the expectations.  I think if anything, the Gattis hire was a big indication of him recognizing he needed to change his philosophy, offensively.  Right or wrong.

Dude, Harbaugh has had plenty of time. It’s been 4yrs and into his 5th season and we’ve beaten no one of significance and haven’t won or played for anything. I’m not advocating for a replacement of Harbaugh, but do not insult our intelligence. Mishandled punts and bad spots, etc. are all part of the game. If it’s and butts were candies and nuts, every day would be Christmas…Stop telling me how rocky the water is, just dock the f’n boat!

Go Blue!!
  • The thing I don't get with this team is their inability to handle adversity. They seem to quit or give up, which is not at ALL how Harbaugh played the game. I realize everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face but has Harbaugh lost this team?  Have they quit on him? When do we stop complaining about the coaches and start looking at the players? Lloyd Carr was the opposite of Harbaugh but his teams rarely, if ever, got out-toughed. He lost games to teams we had no business losing to but hell, the dude was, like, 25-10 against ranked teams. Jimbo is the opposite. I.don't get it. Harbaugh didn't just forget how to coach when he showed up at Michigan. Did he?
  • TK23Blue said:
    The thing I don't get with this team is their inability to handle adversity. They seem to quit or give up, which is not at ALL how Harbaugh played the game. I realize everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face but has Harbaugh lost this team?  Have they quit on him? When do we stop complaining about the coaches and start looking at the players? Lloyd Carr was the opposite of Harbaugh but his teams rarely, if ever, got out-toughed. He lost games to teams we had no business losing to but hell, the dude was, like, 25-10 against ranked teams. Jimbo is the opposite. I.don't get it. Harbaugh didn't just forget how to coach when he showed up at Michigan. Did he?
    This is the biggest head scratcher for me. I thought we were mentally weak under RR and Hoke. I thought that would be the first thing that changed.

I LOVED the Jim we got at the beginning. He yelled, he screamed, he threw his play sheet. He was pissed on the sidelines. Loved it. Felt like we needed that on the sidelines. 

Jim has been different on the sidelines since that 2016 Ohio State game. He had his Bo moment at the presser where he said several times he was “bitterly disappointed in the officiating”  on the spot on 4th down. It reminded me of Bo after the Rose Bowl vote. 

But since then? He is so passive on the sidelines. Why? What the heck happened? Did someone speak to him? Did someone say that wasn’t very Michigan of him? Was it the president? AD? Alums? Did that moment break him? 

I want/we need that fiery Jim back in the sidelines! The guy who chews out a ref. The one who throws the play sheet. The one who throws the headset. He was like that at Stanford, the 49ers, and here. We need that back. 
  • Gr8Mckay said:
    Jabes0623 said:
    Gr8Mckay said:
    Jabes0623 said:

Got it. 

Dude, Harbaugh has had plenty of time. It’s been 4yrs and into his 5th season and we’ve beaten no one of significance and haven’t won or played for anything. I’m not advocating for a replacement of Harbaugh, but do not insult our intelligence. Mishandled punts and bad spots, etc. are all part of the game. If it’s and butts were candies and nuts, every day would be Christmas…Stop telling me how rocky the water is, just dock the f’n boat!

Go Blue!!
    Dude?  Really?

You drop the “we’ve beaten no one of significance“ like every win he’s had at Michigan has been worthless.  That’s a ridiculous take in my opinion.
    Then you discount the single play moments like all bad things are destined to go against Michigan by right of the football gods.  Sorry, I don’t.  He’s had a program in contention 3 out of those four years.  In the top 4 in of the College Football Playoff rankings as late as Week 12 in two of those years, and top 10 in year 1, with the Michigan State blunder keeping them from being at least top 5.
    Yes, his teams have lost to Ohio State in all three of those years.  A team with more talent and depth across the board not to mention, albeit painfully, one of the best coaches of all time.  
    The body of work has been good.  Getting into contention isn’t something I discount, otherwise a win in any of those games would not be “significant”, other than gratifying.
    Getting over the proverbial hump is the next step.  It’s by no means guaranteed, though some believe Michigan will never do so under Harbaugh, I do.  Sorry, but not sorry for having that opinion.

This year isn’t over, nor do we know how the next few years will go, so as my point was and is, time will tell, Dude.
  • Rule #1, never be #2!

Getting into contention beating Rutgers and Maryland and Indiana isn’t something to boast about. Last year we beat a 5-loss Wisconsin team at home and a 4-loss Penn State team at home. Again, nothing to pump our chests about. When something of significance has been on the line (2016 Iowa), we have folded like a chair. Name a big win Harbaugh has had?

Less talented teams beat more talented teams every weekend and every season in college football. For whatever reason, Michigan cannot be the less talented team beating a more talented team.

We haven’t even made it to the big 10 championship game, let alone win it. Hell, when was the last time we won the big 10 championship?

Dantonio has made the CFP
    Lincoln Riley has made the CFP
    Kirby Smart and made the CFP

Ohio State loses their all world coach, brings in a transfer QB, albeit the #1 dual threat QB in the country from high school, and they haven’t missed a beat.

LSU brings in the cast off from Ohio state as a transfer, they switch offenses and look like the best team in the nation right now.

Michigan has a two year starter at QB, a former 5-star and #1 QB in the country, switch offenses and look like the bad news bears.

Wisconsin, yes WISCONSIN, was up 35-0 against Michigan this year after a bye week and everyone in the world talking about the game being a statement game and they let everyone down. It was disgraceful.

Michigan was a preseason top 10 team (#7 to be exact), take the polls for what they’re worth, and depending how the second half of the season goes, Michigan could finish outside of the top 25.

On the flipside, the entire season is right in front of this team. With games against Penn State and Notre Dame and Michigan State and Ohio State, they have a chance to change the narrative and truly make this a special season. I just don’t have a whole lot of faith and haven’t seen any evidence anything will change.

Go Blue!!
  • edited October 2019
    Harbaugh has turned out to be nothing more than a tease. He’s good enough to make you believe that at any moment he’ll take that next step. But he’s not good enough to actually take it. 

The real clincher for for me is the offense. I mean that’s what Jim’s known for right? Being the QB wizard & doing cutting edge stuff. But every single team he’s had at Michigan has been lead by & won with defense. Some say “he hasn’t had a real QB.” Well who’s fault is that? If Harbaugh can’t identify &/or develop a competent QB that’s on him. 

Now I will admit the D has let us all down when it mattered the most. Last year @ tOSU if you had told me before hand that we scored 39 I would’ve told you we won. And I would’ve been 62 points loud wrong. 

But when you’re in year 5 of a coaches regime & the high water mark is still the day he was hired...

You’ve got a problem. 

And when your on the field high water mark is a gut wrenching OT defeat to your arch rival in a game you should’ve won...

You’ve got a problem. 

I get the defense of Harbaugh. Fans want him to be the man. They want him to be the answer. Hell so do I. And if winning 10 games most of the time, being in the top 25 & running a clean program are your standards then Harbaugh is your guy. And that’s a-ok.

But if you want to beat the Buckeyes & be B1G Champions, as hard as it is, we’re right up to the line of Harbaugh isn’t the man for the job. You can’t go 0-5, let alone 0-6, against tOSU & keep the job of Head Football Coach at The University of Michigan. 

Harbaugh has a chance to prove everyone who doubts him wrong. And everyone who backs him right. And it starts this Saturday. Six games to define himself as the Head Coach at Michigan. He’s got his guys, his staff, it’s his program. No more excuses. 
  • edited October 2019
    Jabes0623 said:
     The real clincher for for me is the offense. I mean that’s what Jim’s known for right? 
    This is apocryphal. If you look back, he's always had a strong D with an offense that could run the ball, and score points when needed. He also resurrected a QB's career (Alex Smith), made a solid QB out of a middler (Kaepernick), and made a very good QB great (Luck). I didn't expect a point-a-minute team, but I did expect a solid run game, with great QB play. Phil mentions his frustrations all the time that year 5 with probably the most solid QB of the bunch being a senior transfer from Iowa in year one.

Wisconsin, yes WISCONSIN, was up 35-0 against Michigan this year after a bye week and everyone in the world talking about the game being a statement game and they let everyone down. It was disgraceful.
    This was the biggest bummer. Every player to a man who was interviewed claimed this and then the whole team went out and took a dump.

• Ohio State loses their all world coach, brings in a transfer QB, albeit the #1 dual threat QB in the country from high school, and they haven’t missed a beat.

With OSU's schedule, I would hope they haven't missed a beat?!?!  I mean, their toughest game has been @ Nebraska which at the time looked like an impressive win.  Then Minnesota just beat them 34-7 so was that really a tough road win for OSU???  Sparty was overrated at 25 when they played OSU to say the least so I don't really count them as a ranked opponent for the Buckeyes...

This week's game at PSU will be Michigan's 3rd game against a ranked opponent in their opening 7 games and their 2nd vs a top 10 opponent!!! I can't even remotely come close to saying the same about OSU's opponents to date!!! 
  • Rule #1, never be #2!

Getting into contention beating Rutgers and Maryland and Indiana isn’t something to boast about. Last year we beat a 5-loss Wisconsin team at home and a 4-loss Penn State team at home. Again, nothing to pump our chests about. When something of significance has been on the line (2016 Iowa), we have folded like a chair. Name a big win Harbaugh has had?
    You know what my point was and is: getting into contention isn’t the prize, but it definitely is a requirement.  You choose to discount any wins you don’t feel significant, I don’t.  Pretty simple.

I’ll play along, though, Michigan did destroy the 2016 B1G champions and a darn good Wisconsin team that won the West.  But since situationally it doesn’t fit the narrative for some, it isn’t significant.  Same goes for Penn State, Michigan State, and Wisconsin, last year.  But because, upon reflection, those were cake walks, Michigan (Harbaugh) gets no credit for anything since those were teams with x numbers of losses.  Got it.

So when Michigan wins or loses on Saturday, we must reserve judgement on the outcome until Penn State finishes the season?  

Regardless of the debate in win value, the footballs on display at Schembechler Hall only show scores and a win total.  Hopefully they add a lot more for this season.

Go Blue!
  • We can debate this to death. But the bottom line for Jim Harbaugh is; Beat tOSU & win the B1G Championship & all of this goes away. 

Don’t & sooner rather than later he’ll be going away.

It’s that simple.
  • Win a game that we are not suppose to win, and a lot of this goes away…I’ll start there....

Go Blue!!
  • Win a game that we are not suppose to win, and a lot of this goes away…I’ll start there....

Go Blue!!
    Fair enough.  Hopefully it starts Saturday.
  • edited October 2019
  • Wow...Wisky-Illinois going down to the wire. Badgers up by 2.
  • Guess that’s case closed on Wisky being an acceptable beatdown because they’re a top 10 team.
  • Jabes0623 said:
    Guess that’s case closed on Wisky being an acceptable beatdown because they’re a top 10 team.
    If it was acceptable, why all the Harbaugh outrage? Ha

The “fire” the coach folks are as old as the game.  Twitter Badger nation ignites.

• edited October 2019
    Jabes0623 said:
    Guess that’s case closed on Wisky being an acceptable beatdown because they’re a top 10 team.
    OSU lost on the road to a 6 win Purdue team a few years back. 

We lost to a 7 win Iowa team that kept us out of the playoffs on the road the year before.

Road games are hard. and as I say that 3 hours till our road test walking into whiteout hell. God have mercy our souls.

• See guys. That Illinois W is a quality road victory now!
  • If Michigan wins out, they go to the playoffs, so I wouldn't worry too much about how the Badgers' loss today "looks". That's the kind of thing people who want your clicks, or eyes emphasize.
  • Just had a look at the spread on that one, Wisky was favored by 31. 

You have to love college football.
  • Curious, any chance that:
    Wisconsin beats the Buckeyes?
    Minnesota or Sparty beats PSU?

Crazier things have happened.
  • edited October 2019
    Gr8Mckay said:
    Curious, any chance that:
    Wisconsin beats the Buckeyes?
    Minnesota or Sparty beats PSU?

Crazier things have happened.
    No chance for Wisky @ tOSU. The Buckeyes are hungry, they’re playing with a chip on their shoulder & they’re incredibly well coached. I’m from Ohio so I get a lot of real close looks at tOSU & I hear a lot of chatter. Most tOSU fans I talk to, including the intelligent few, believe this team is better than the ‘14 National Championship team. And honestly it’s hard to argue with them. And the B1G is down this year. They’re not losing until they get to the playoff, if they lose at all. 

A very slim chance for Minnesota against PSU. But they’ll need some help from PSU in the form of turnovers & disinterest. No chance for Sparty, they can’t block anyone. And none of this is me being impressed with PSU, they’re overrated & in no way impressed me when we played them. 
  • Wisky can’t do anything on offense.

Go Blue!!
  • Wasn’t that a block in the back?