UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

WEEK 1: Michigan (#14) @ Notre Dame (#12) 7:30 PM EST on NBC GAMEDAY THREAD

It's game week. Let's get it stared. Woohoo!!!!

Michigan opens against ND in South Bend. ESPN GameDay will be there live.

Patterson's first game as a Wolverine!

No Tarik Black.

Michigan hasn't  beaten an AP top-25 team on the road since 2006. The only other B10 team not to have done it during this period is Purdue.

What do you think about the game and what do you hope to see (besides a W)?

"To Hell with Norte Dame!" - Bo Schembechler

Go Blue!!
«134567

Comments

  • edited August 27
    One very good D, one elite D. And D is usually pretty far ahead of O at this point anyway. As such I’d imagine we’re looking at a game that’s going to be won by field position & turnovers.

    Can we run the ball? At will? I’d really like to know the answer to that. I really hope we can.

    I’d like to see Patterson play within himself have 0 turnovers & a nice clean jersey. 

    I’d like to see Hidgon with about 130/40 yards & 2 TD’s & Evans with about 70/80 yards & a TD. 

    All offensive drives end with kicks, extra points, punts & FG’s. 

    I have a lot of faith that it will; But I want to see this D be as good as I think are. I want ND’s players Mother’s to have to turn off their TV’s because they can’t stand to watch Gary, Winovich, Bush & Hudson destroying their boys for one more second. 

    Night game, top 15 opponent, on the road. Our recent history says we should be very worried about this one. 

    But hope springs eternal. We roll into Notre Dame stadium with a chip on our shoulders, something to prove & (finally) a competent QB. And pull out a tough one 20-13 Michigan. 
  • Can’t have any turnovers. With as good as this D is (we think) punt and make ND have to go the length of the field. 

    Im excited/nervous to see the offensive line. I really feel like a BIG Championship hinged on their play. 

    I was was feeling pretty good before Black went down but now I’m not so sure. 

    Ah, screw it. New season, all hope and roses, Michigan 17-6. 


  • Im excited/nervous to see the offensive line. I really feel like a BIG Championship hinged on their play. 

    Bingo. Really wondering how they're going to look. Please keep Shea off the field turf, and let one of our QBs finish out the season on the field and not on the sideline!
  • A couple takeaways by the D would be a nice way to crush the Domers' spirit. As good as the D has been under Brown they have been rather pedestrian in forcing TOs.

    I'd love to see a handful of plays by Patterson that make it obvious this program's been sorely missing a playmaker at QB since JH arrived.
  • zjgm02 said:
    A couple takeaways by the D would be a nice way to crush the Domers' spirit. As good as the D has been under Brown they have been rather pedestrian in forcing TOs.

    Boy, you ain't kidding… Barely over one per game in 2017 with a total of 17 takeaways.

    2016 wasn't much better with only 19 total takeaways.

    Go Blue!!
  • Easy list.

    1.  O-Line being consistent in run and pass protection.
    2. Can Shea be the X factor this offense has needed.  
    3.  Can our receivers get separation, and make  the ND respect the pass.
    4.  Can the defense live up to the hype.
    5.  Can Michigan avoid the costly mishap that has plagued Harbaugh’s Michigan teams.


    I think this is a great game to start the season, with an opportunity to set the tone early.  
    This team needs the bright lights of a night game on the road to prove to themselves what they are.

    I don’t have a clue what the outcome will be, but I’m confident that we’ll know a heckuva a lot more about what to expect for the season, come Sunday morning.

    Go Blue!
  • Man.  Game week is finally here!!!  All of the talk and hype ends this week and we actually get to see what this team is all about!  

    Is this Defense as good as advertised?  I'm pretty confident that it is!  

    Will the O-line be improved with the addition of Warriner coaching them up?  I have a good feeling they will be a pleasant surprise!

    Will Shea Patterson finally be the QB Harbaugh has been searching for?  Will his play finally get Michigan to turn the corner and join the ranks of legit CFP contenders?  I think he is and he will!!!  

    As the stats have shown, we don't even need GREAT QB play for this team to be successful and I have a feeling we could see Patterson be better than average so my optimism right now is very high!

    Can't believe we haven't beaten a top 15 team in the road since 2006?!?!  That streak will come to an end on Saturday night in South Bend!!!
    .
  • edited August 28
    Shea Shows what a healthy 5 star QB looks like behind a better line than he had at Ole Miss.

    DPJ ends up his #1 target on 2 deep balls for Michigan first 2  50 yards TD"s in a year and a Half with some Early Heisman Talk for both of them. The Defense Eats a young ND team alive and Michigan runs away for some revenge 37-10 And Michigan being ranked in the top 5 Next week.

  • He can run, but can't pass--or at least couldn't pass last year. Hopefully, UM makes him look like the second coming of former Domer QB Malik Zaire. He went for over 100 yards on the ground 4 times last season, but none of those teams had a top-50 rushing defense.
  • Thunderstorms expected Saturday in South Bend. How will that affect either team?

    Go Blue!!
  • Thunderstorms expected Saturday in South Bend. How will that affect either team?

    Go Blue!!
    Say it isn’t so.  I’ve had my fill of Mother Nature games.
  • zjgm02 said:

    He can run, but can't pass--or at least couldn't pass last year. Hopefully, UM makes him look like the second coming of former Domer QB Malik Zaire. He went for over 100 yards on the ground 4 times last season, but none of those teams had a top-50 rushing defense.
    If our defense gets too aggressive and over pursues, there will be cut back lanes for Wimbush. Last year, our DE's tended to push too far up field and not keep contain. That could be an issue on Saturday.

    Go Blue!!
  • I was at the MSU monsoon game last year so hope it will not be like that!  I think the one area where we can’t have an injury is at RB. The third string Wilson is a walk-on.  Fist game - no TOs, keep the mobile QB in the pocket, no deep passes for ND, throw the ball downfield, run the ball and get a win on the road against a top 25 team!
  • Both offenses have a lot of question marks, both defenses are excellent.  ND has excellent corners and good safeties so we'll need to create mismatches with our slot and TE's (I don't have a lot of faith in our wide receivers getting separation).  In the end, it comes down to what every game comes down to: interior line play, running the ball, TO's.  That's it.  I would think rain would favor us-Wimbush has enough trouble throwing in good conditions and I don't see ND rushing the ball with any real success against our D.  But "The Luck of the Irish" cancels that out as something freaky ALWAYS happens in that stadium against us.  It'll be a loud, tough environment at night so we just need to weather the first quarter and don't do anything stupid.  After that, play some ball.  This is a total toss up game but when my plane lands Friday night in Detroit, I'll be ready.  Half my family is ND, the other half Michigan and we're all getting together for the game.  Throw in too many beers and too much whiskey and you can count on a couple of punches being thrown by the 3rd qtr. Happens every time.  Ha ha. Is there a better time of year?  I don't think so.  GO BLUE!!
  • Goblue88 said:
    Shea Shows what a healthy 5 star QB looks like behind a better line than he had at Ole Miss.

    DPJ ends up his #1 target on 2 deep balls for Michigan first 2  50 yards TD"s in a year and a Half with some Early Heisman Talk for both of them. The Defense Eats a young ND team alive and Michigan runs away for some revenge 37-10 And Michigan being ranked in the top 5 Next week.
    I would put a pause on a “better line” than an SEC team...I will continue to preach that we aren’t back until our OL is back.

    We won a shit load of games with average QB’s - Navarre comes to mind...because we had stout OL’s.

    Go Blue!!
  • I hope this Collins kid is more than serviceable at WR. That's my biggest worry. OL being a very close second. Can you get chunk plays down the field. Can you pass protect? I have yet to see Shea in action but if the QB play can hold up anything can happen first game. Not making any predictions just want to see good execution. If they do that good things will happen.

  • zjgm02 said:

    He can run, but can't pass--or at least couldn't pass last year. 
    I've heard he hasn't progressed much in the passing game from what has been seen of him in Fall Camp...
  • ESPN’s FPI gives ND a 68.3% chance to win giving Mich a 31.7% chance.

    Go Blue!!
  • ESPN’s FPI gives ND a 68.3% chance to win giving Mich a 31.7% chance.

    Go Blue!!
    Notre Dame is starting wimbush who completed 49% of his passes last year but has some mobility.... Remember what has happened the last 2 times we played guys like him (OSU) we should have won both if not for Korn on the cobb.
  • Irish DB Shaun Crawford tears ACL in practice.

    Go Blue!!
  • That sucks for the kid. Rival or not I hate seeing kids’ seasons end in practice. 
  • Never ever like to see anyone suffer an injury.  To have it happen repeatedly like this is tough.  Too bad.
  • There is a 35% to 40% chance of thunderstorms Saturday night just after the game starts…

    What should the strategy be?

    Go Blue!!
  • Don’t pass a lot in the second half
  • MSU down 31-30 with 5 minutes to go. UTAH STATE boys that 6-7 MW powerhouse
  • Sparty wins. But boy. They do not look like the #11 team in the country. 
  • Let's gooooooooooooooo! Game day baby!

    Go Blue!!

  • GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  •  I used to be excited for the season to start and always thought that we were going to win every game. Since Lloyd left that is turned into apprehension and anxiety, that being said go blue! 
Sign In or Register to comment.