UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

Comments

• Another black eye for the B1G.
  • I am not worried about the reputation of a the big ten as much as I am worried about this guy being part of the harbaugh coaching tree.  Where DJ  did he get that style from ?
  • vixblue said:
    I am not worried about the reputation of a the big ten as much as I am worried about this guy being part of the harbaugh coaching tree.  Where DJ  did he get that style from ?
    It's a completely screwed up mentality to run players into the ground. Completely discredited from a performance and motivational standpoint. Having a player die under these conditions is enough to get a HS coach fired.

I'm wondering about the linkage to Harbaugh. I've never heard a player complain about some of the things mentioned happening in Maryland. The few times I've seen practices there are trainers with water, cold tubs on the sidelines, and most importantly "guests" watching practice- former players, HS coaches, administrators, etc.

With that said coached don't usually change from job to job. I wonder if DJ did tried to change the culture and allowed things to go too far.
  • edited August 11
    looks like He Gone

And as much as he was a Michigan assistant Coach he also was a Urban Meyer underling so this comment still is hilarious.

• A young man died of a heatstroke under his program. The fact that he’s still employed right now is disgusting beyond belief. 

Heart attacks, strokes, broken necks these things happen unfortunately but a heatstroke is gross negligence on the part of that staff. Disgusting. 

Saying it reflects on the entire B1G is asinine. Like Jim Harbaugh or Kirk Ferentz can do anything about how Maryland runs practices. 
  • They have to do an investigation otherwise he’d sue them for lack of due process
  • On May 29th. 10 weeks ago. Sorry, but Durkin should’ve been gone weeks ago. 
  • Jabes0623 said:
    On May 29th. 10 weeks ago. Sorry, but Durkin should’ve been gone weeks ago. 
    They should have had everything resolved before fall camp. It sure looks like the administration was dragging their feet.
  • Crazy how it takes a story to break for these programs to get a light shined upon them.  Again, an institution of higher learning, failing to do what is right without eyes upon them.  Sickening.
  • So odd that BTN did their bus tour stop in College Park on Friday as well, and even talked to Durkin. Seemed tone deaf to me at the time, and now it looks even moreso.
  • edited October 30
    WOW...
    Board of Regents recommends keeping Durkin. I guess Kevin Plank told them to back off. Pretty disgusting.

• Paul Finebaum basically said that Maryland just self imposed their own Death Penalty by recommending to reinstate Durkin and for once, I have to agree with Finebaum!

Heard they basically gave the University President an ultimatum that they would replace him if he did not reinstate Durkin so he obliged and then announced he's retiring effective June 2019!  Seems like Wallace Ho is the only one with dignity left at College Park?!?!
  • He is going to be on the sidelines Saturday when they host MSU. It will be interesting to hear the response of the crowd when (if) they announce him. 

Heard starters walked out out of his first meeting back. I mean how does this team not just shut it down and turn on him? 

How does he even start to try to recruit kids? 

• Durkin fired.

Maryland reinstated Durkin yesterday just so they could fire him today.

Go Blue!!
  • edited October 31
    Durkin fired.

Go Blue!!
    Seems the player backlash wins out.. IDK the evidence ive seen shows a program that he was trying to build into a hard working program. something happened under his oversight that was out of his direct control. and the athletic conditioners are at fault and to some point players them self not hydrating right. You don't get that dehydrated even doing military Marine level drills which his stuff wasn't if your following proper hydrating guidelines. which the head coach can't be standing there at every player going did you drink your recommended amount of water like he's their mom or some shit.  a player died which is a tragedy and People were at fault but i have a hard time putting it all on him. He should have gotten like a 3 game suspension for failure to supervise his trainers. and all the training staff fired but its their direct fault not his.

• Did you seriously just victim blame the 19 year old kid for dying of heat stroke?! What is wrong with you?

All the adults failed here. The strength and conditioning staff failed to see the warning signs of heat stroke. Durkin failed to properly monitor his strength and conditioning staff and allowed a toxic climate to happen. And the Board of Trustees failed for thinking they could some how keep Durkin and everyone would be ok with it. 

Maryland finslly got it right, but in the worst way. 
  • This is a case of rich decision makers thinking they rule above all. Those days are over. I honestly know that sometimes things happen, but when kids were speaking out on the toxic behavior something should have been done. It’s like that fat guy on the Cleveland Browns hard knocks talking about WWl and WWll and how all soldiers did were jumping jacks, push ups and sit ups..... as if that’s the reason the war was won. Like no lumpy there were armory weapons and strategy that won those wars. 
  • Durkin fired.

Go Blue!!
    It's like they are making this up as they go along. The dude in the vid I posted from yesterday now looks even worse than he did yesterday, while now also appearing out of the loop or left twisting in the wind. I guess they really believed the public outcry would be minimal and tried to see if they could get away with keeping Durkin and saving whatever his buyout is since they will be paying the deceased player's parents a hefty sum.

WHAT...A...MESS.

• I’ve said it repeatedly, how can anyone look at these institutions (Maryland, Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan State, etc.), and the horrible mess and ways in which they’ve handled events, and have any faith in their leadership.

• Durkin tried to bring some of JH's "culture of competition" to UMD, where winning is NOT a big tradition. Harbaugh's methods depend on player subscription and commitment to the ideals that they espouse. Durkin clearly did not establish subscription among his players, and had not been tenured long enough to clean out the roster and populate it with "his" recruits. UMD Football will be forever doomed to be at the level of Indiana Football, as long as it inhabits the B1G East Division; never a contender, and merely a spoiler, at best. Terps fans had better savor their one and only victory against Michigan, from their first year in the league, as it may be the only one for the foreseeable future.