UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UMGOBLUE.COM

Fall Camp start today, Aug 3 - SEASON STATS

Comments

• zjgm02 said:
    So UM just went 3-0 in a 3-game stretch that most would have been happy with 2-1 at the beginning of the season. I was looking at future schedules and while a lot can happen to programs in a couple years, UM faces the same three teams in a row without a bye in mix during the 2020 season, starting with home games against Wisconsin and PennSt on 9/26/2020 and 10/3/2020, and finishing up in East Lansing on 10/10/20. That's insane. 

Another odd quirk is that Sparty doesn't come to the Big House next year until November 16th, which immediately follows a Michigan bye week. UM hosts Sparty, visits Indy and hosts tOSU in a three-game stretch to close next regular season. They also play at Happy Valley and host the Domers immediately before the bye, so that is a rough stretch of 5 games in 6 weeks.
    Another schedule quirk I noticed is that UM gets two byes next season, on 9/14 & 11/9, but still has 12 games. I guess because Labor Day and Thanksgiving are so far apart next year. Game one is 8/31 & Game twelve is 11/30.
  • While the Michigan D is still tops in the nation in Total Defense by almost 20 fewer yards allowed per game, they have now fallen behind the Clemson D in YPP allowed (3.97 for UM; 3.77 for Clemson). That's what dicking around for two weeks with teams you should blow off the field will do. If they beat tOSU, it really doesn't matter, though.
  • zjgm02 said:
    While the Michigan D is still tops in the nation in Total Defense by almost 20 fewer yards allowed per game, they have now fallen behind the Clemson D in YPP allowed (3.97 for UM; 3.77 for Clemson). That's what dicking around for two weeks with teams you should blow off the field will do. If they beat tOSU, it really doesn't matter, though.
    Considering this year’s schedule, I’m not going to fret over the last two games defensive performances.  

• Yeah big deal. So they slipped in a category. Doubt anyone really cares. 
  • I suspect, if pressed, Don Brown would admit that he hasn't been completely happy with the defense since giving up the shutout against PSU. As long as they can get back to tightening up the middle of the field like they did against the three ranked teams they faced during that 4-week slog UM will be just fine.
  • zjgm02 said:
    While the Michigan D is still tops in the nation in Total Defense by almost 20 fewer yards allowed per game, they have now fallen behind the Clemson D in YPP allowed (3.97 for UM; 3.77 for Clemson). That's what dicking around for two weeks with teams you should blow off the field will do. If they beat tOSU, it really doesn't matter, though.
    Saw Herbie this morning on Get Up and he basically said he wouldn't get too concerned about the defensive performances of this team vs Rutgers or Indiana.

He said they have showed what they can do against a team they are up for (PSU, MSU, Wisky) and he said he expects that same aggressive, angry defense to show up in Columbus!  And I have to say I agree 100%!!!
  • JH isn't getting fired, or resigning, but if he were who is available and better? You don't fire a guy unless you have someone better to take his place. If the post-Lloyd years have taught us anything, it should be that. JH has brought the program back to the Carr standard which is a helluva lot better than the RR and Hoke standard.

The program is close, but they need to hire coordinators with fresh ideas. I still don't think Brown's adjustments in the ND game were all that wonderful. That game was never in doubt for the Domers, so they ran the ball to control the clock after getting a comfortable lead. I knew the defensive efforts against Rutgers and Indy weren't an aberration. I don't know how you get rid of Brown after the love letters JH has sent him through the media this year, but his system was badly exposed yesterday. It's been exposed in the past by PSU in 2017 and FloridaSt before that, but given the circumstances and context of yesterday's game you can't come back from that, at least that I can see.

Anyone who paid any attention all season KNEW tOSU would attack the slot yesterday and that previously-stationary Haskins would run enough to keep the D off balance. That is exactly what happened and Brown had no answer for it. Sprinkle in poor tackling and key guys getting knocked out and you have yesterday's sh!tshow.
  • Along with poor tackling poor reads.  The one penalty by Watson that ticked me off was the one in 3rd and 17 when he held the WR despite being in great position on the ball.  Agree with your post but to get to the next level JH needs to open the offense more and keep the three WRs on the field a lot more than he has.
  • And now every team we face has the blueprint on exactly how to dismantle this D. 
  • edited November 2018
    Jabes0623 said:
    And now every team we face has the blueprint on exactly how to dismantle this D. 
    Yeah a 5 star top 30 overall QB. throwing to 4.2 WR's spreading out the D for the crossing route..

There are maybe 4 teams in CFB that have the Offensive talent to do to us what OSU did. Our CB's have feasted all year on slower WR's in the single coverage but 4.5 Running Brandon Watson got destroyed all day.
  • Jabes0623 said:
    And now every team we face has the blueprint on exactly how to dismantle this D. 
    The blueprint has been available for years (the bowl game against FSU, PSU last year, now tOSU), but as 88 posted not many teams can consistently exploit it with their personnel. Remember, though, how close SMU was until the pick-6 to end the first half popped the air in their balloon. It's a high risk/high reward defense, but we've always known that. There's definitely something to be said about the "best" D in the country not being able to shut anyone out.

Don Brown's defense has exactly one shutout in three seasons, against lowly Rutgers in a 78-0 drubbing. While DJ Durkin's D pitched three straight shutouts in the only season he coached in AA. I'm not for a second suggesting JH bring back Durkin, but maybe a complicated scheme that leaves DBs on an island is not the best scheme for a college team that has only so many hours every week to practice. Durkin did a pretty damn good job with someone else's players, ranking in the top 6 in both Scoring D and Total D.
  • There is no such thing as a great defense in college these days. There are only untested and tested defenses. Teams like Oklahoma, Alabama, and Ohio State can move up and down the field on anyone.

The aggressive defense is fine against teams that can't pass block or lack strong receivers who are jammed at the line. Michigan can defeat that with athletes and coaching. However, Michigan really must play more conservative on defense vs Ohio State. Giving up this amount of points and not making more immediate adjustments to offense and defense to control things is scary. Getting beat is one thing. Giving up 62 in this type rivalry is something big time wrong.

Go Blue!!
  • You two are making the classic mistake of believing everyone else is standing pat. The game is evolving, right now we’re behind 10/12 teams, next year it’ll be 14/16 the year after that 18/20. 

Sorry boys, but Don Brow’s system is already a dinosaur in the college football elite. And so is Jim Harbaugh’s O.

If going 8-4 - 10-2 every year is your goal that’s fine. Stay exactly where you are. But it’s not mine. I’m tired of always being 2nd or 3rd or 4th best, in the B1G East.
  • Michigan needed its D-line to get pressure quickly or at least get their hands on those passes.  Didn’t happen.  Game, set, match.
  • I think Jim has to give up play calling. Which would be huge for him to do. He has called the plays his whole coaching career. So for him to give that up would be a major change for Jim. 

But it after yesterday maybe he realizes it’s a change he had to make. The frustrating thing is that you have the horses to run an offense we saw at the end of the Carr years with Henne, Hart, Manningham, Breaston, Arrington. 

No no one is asking to throw the ball 70 times and run it 10 but we moved the ball on them fairly easily once we started passing. We should of been doing that all game. What’s the point in having DPJ, Collins, and Black if your only going to throw it 20 times a game. 

Now I won’t pretend to know which offensive coordinators we should target. But we have the guys to run a Patriots like offense. Find a guy who can call those types of plays. 
  • Michigan is 10-2 and if they win their bowl game, they will have finished 11-2 and somewhere around the top 5 in the country this season.

As previously mentioned, there's maybe 2-3-4 programs in the country that are better or more established than Michigan. Outside of Alabama or Ohio State or Clemson… I don't think I would want to be a part of any other program.

Oklahoma? They've had their ups and downs…

LSU or Auburn? What have they won recently…

Georgia is a hot team and they've got a lot of good things going for them…

USC or Washington or Washington State or any team from PAC 12? Outside of Washington, who was a one-year wonder, that conference has not produced anything..

What about some of those traditional powers like Florida State or Miami, Florida or Tennessee or Florida or Virginia Tech? How are those programs looking today…

My point is, you don't blow this thing up and ruin all the progress Michigan has made to get back to this point so we don't get stuck in a rut like those programs I listed above… You keep striving to get better while kicking the shit out of everyone in the big 10 shooting for that game at the end November.

Remember the days worrying about whether not we could beat Rutgers or Minnesota or Illinois or Indiana or Toledo or any of the bottom feeders of the Big Ten? Do you really want to go back there, because I don't. I don't want to consistently watch us get her asses kicked by everyone in the Big Ten like Rich Rod did. Harbaugh is 2-1 vs. Wisky, 3-1 vs. Penn State and 2-2 vs. MSU and has the program moving farther ahead than all three of those programs.

I don't like watching yesterday anymore than you guys do but how do you think the buckeyes felt watching Timmy B run for over 300 yards against them in the 90s and getting embarrassed… We feel the same way today but that will change again.

Go Blue!!
  • edited November 2018
    USC fan's freaking out their 5-7 season the coach who win 10 and 11+ a rose bowl in his first 2 year ain't being fired.

An old timer had the perfect response

You clowns weren’t around when the legend John McKay got beat by ND 51-0. Next season won National Title. Was he a horrible coach in 1966 or just a genius in 1967 ? Teams come together in different years. Players have to make the plays. McKay .500 in 1971 undefeated 1972.
  • My point is, you don't blow this thing up and ruin all the progress Michigan has made to get back to this point so we don't get stuck in a rut like those programs I listed above… You keep striving to get better while kicking the shit out of everyone in the big 10 shooting for that game at the end November.
    Zackly. You make changes to the staff, but not at HC b/c he's a legend and there is no ONE better available. A lot of short memories around here about the RR and Hoke years. Most have unrealistic expectations about the team, so I guess it makes sense they would have unrealistic expectations about who the program could hire as a HC.

How many coordinators and position coaches have cycled in and out of Alabama since Saban was hired? Consistency of purpose and an open mind at the top w/ fresh ideas from the guys working under him has been a recipe for success.
  • What elite O coordinator is going to want to come to Michigan to Coach & not be allowed to call the plays? 

As as far as I know Harbaugh has never said he’ll give up play calling. 
  • Jabes0623 said:
    What elite O coordinator is going to want to come to Michigan to Coach & not be allowed to call the plays? 

As as far as I know Harbaugh has never said he’ll give up play calling. 
    Well that’s the thing. Jim would HAVE to give up play calling. You’re right no ones going to come just to have the title and watch Jim run the offense. 

It it would be a huge development if we go out and hire an actual OC because that would mean Jim has given up the reins on play calling. 
  • SDB agree totally but I think Washington State is the one year wonder and not Washington.  JH IMO needs to look at a spread offense and keep the WRs on the field more.  Geez Saban has done it why not JH?
  • Now that the dust has settled on yet another egg-laying against tOSU, I have gained a little perspective, but I'm still not sure how I will proceed.

After the game, I was OUT and that was IT for my fandom. I just couldn't take it anymore. The best teamtMichigan has fielded in YEARS and they go out and give uo more point to the Buckeyes than any UM team before them. II have a great life, so there is no reason to leave any amount of my happiness in the hands of 20-year-old kids and the de facto dictators who run them out on the field every Saturday. Old habits die hard, though, and I feel like this program has unfinished business.

Also, I have little in common with many of you, but this place is a great hang. Some of you, Eric, have been on the site since you were whipper-snappers in high school. TK has step-daughters who are probably thinking about college these days, same for Phil with his daughters. Scottsdale started out single w/ the world by the tail, but somewhere along the line apparently converted to LDS and keeps slipping 'em past the goalie once a year or every other year. BHF was in college and now has a wife and career. It's crazy how long we've been here and all we've shared.

Anyway, thanks for reading. I love this team and this place, but I have weak moments sometimes questioning why I put myself through the nonsense when I don't have to.

Go Blue!
  • Exactly Z.  I've actually hit the place where I really don't care anymore.  None of it has ever impacted my life in anyway so why do I jump up and down over it?  Now I just enjoy watching all of the college games (definitely looking forward to the playoffs) and don't spend much time worrying about it.  This is still a great place to come and rant & rave on game day but whatever happens to Michigan, happens.  I can't control any of it so f'ck it. (I told Scottsdale this on Sat. and he was like, "Now you sound like my wife!" Ha ha.)  Win or lose I'll always be a Michigan Fan-that's good enough for me.
  • zjgm02 said:
    Now that the dust has settled on yet another egg-laying against tOSU, I have gained a little perspective, but I'm still not sure how I will proceed.

After the game, I was OUT and that was IT for my fandom. I just couldn't take it anymore. The best teamtMichigan has fielded in YEARS and they go out and give uo more point to the Buckeyes than any UM team before them. II have a great life, so there is no reason to leave any amount of my happiness in the hands of 20-year-old kids and the de facto dictators who run them out on the field every Saturday. Old habits die hard, though, and I feel like this program has unfinished business.

Also, I have little in common with many of you, but this place is a great hang. Some of you, Eric, have been on the site since you were whipper-snappers in high school. TK has step-daughters who are probably thinking about college these days, same for Phil with his daughters. Scottsdale started out single w/ the world by the tail, but somewhere along the line apparently converted to LDS and keeps slipping 'em past the goalie once a year or every other year. BHF was in college and now has a wife and career. It's crazy how long we've been here and all we've shared.

Anyway, thanks for reading. I love this team and this place, but I have weak moments sometimes questioning why I put myself through the nonsense when I don't have to.

Go Blue!
    Dang zigm02 way to put things into perspective. Can’t believe it’s been that long since most of us have been posting here. 
  • TK23Blue said:
    Exactly Z.  I've actually hit the place where I really don't care anymore.  None of it has ever impacted my life in anyway so why do I jump up and down over it?  Now I just enjoy watching all of the college games (definitely looking forward to the playoffs) and don't spend much time worrying about it.  This is still a great place to come and rant & rave on game day but whatever happens to Michigan, happens.  I can't control any of it so f'ck it. (I told Scottsdale this on Sat. and he was like, "Now you sound like my wife!" Ha ha.)  Win or lose I'll always be a Michigan Fan-that's good enough for me.
    Bless us all.  I joined this board in 2001, and respect the heck out of the fanaticism each of you show for this team... I share it.
    I literally revert back to my childhood self, scream with joy and also pain, during every game.  Never going to change, but I’ve also grown to appreciate what was lost on me many many years ago.  Winning is never a given or an entitlement.  It helps me appreciate every W this team earns.
    This program will have some great days ahead, along with heartbreak.

This was a fun year, in spite Saturday.  To highlight that, I’ll share a pic of chalkboard we have in our kitchen that my 10 yo son keeps updated.  Needless to say the last week may go without an update.

• Ziggy hit it on the head.  I started on this site around 2003 and part of his avatar then was FREE TK.  I thought who in the heck is TK and wondered if he was in a cult or something like it.  Then I found out that he was banned from the site and then later was allowed to rejoin.  After reading a few of his posts I though yeah he must have been in a cult!  JK TK!!!  Well I was old when I joined this site and today still am old.  Better than the alternative I guess. Will always follow UM sports and will do so until they fill my UM urn with my dust.  Enjoy reading and posting here especially when TK blows off some steam.  Go Blue!
  • SDB agree totally but I think Washington State is the one year wonder and not Washington.  JH IMO needs to look at a spread offense and keep the WRs on the field more.  Geez Saban has done it why not JH?
    Speaking of Washington St.

ESPN's latest projections if Oklahoma goes to the playoffs.

Had OSU vs Washington rose
    Michigan Vs Wash St Fiesta...

Harbaugh vs Mike Leech that press conference would be the single greatest thing in the history of the world.