UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UMGOBLUE.COM

Fall Camp start today, Aug 3 - SEASON STATS

Comments

• zjgm02 said:
    JH was bullish on Martin last summer as well, but it didn't translate to PT, so we'll see. Too much talent at WR isn't a bad thing. Probably one of the reasons Crawford transferred is he heard footsteps from the younger guys in the program.
    Having a QB who can actually get the ball to receivers down the field will help the cause this year…

The defense will shut down most teams but it's the games against Notre Dame and Michigan State and Penn State and Ohio State and Wisconsin, that we will need the offense to keep us in the games. The defense will get a couple of important stops in those games but the offense will need to stay in those games too. That's something we have lacked the last 2 seasons. The defense has only been able to carry us so far and then gets worn down.

Go Blue!!
  • I’m older and wiser now to take anything out of camp with a huge grain of salt. Every year the coaches say so and so is having a great camp and so and so is really turning heads...then I don’t see them come the season. 

Fred Jackson was the absolute best. Every RB was the second coming of Wheatley. 

In in actuality it is usually the players we don’t hear anything about in camp that make an impact on the team. 

I dont remember hearing anything about Henne, Hart, Manningham before they burst into the scene. 
  • I’m older and wiser now to take anything out of camp with a huge grain of salt. Every year the coaches say so and so is having a great camp and so and so is really turning heads...then I don’t see them come the season. 

Fred Jackson was the absolute best. Every RB was the second coming of Wheatley. 

In in actuality it is usually the players we don’t hear anything about in camp that make an impact on the team. 

I dont remember hearing anything about Henne, Hart, Manningham before they burst into the scene. 
    Every team wins the offseason, looks great in the weight room, and is looking forward to the first game.

I try to only pay attention when they say something unexpected.

The best thing I ever heard Fred Jackson say was that Denard Robinson was the one of the fastest running backs he had ever seen--when he was QB.  Fred was asked if he wanted to clarify his statement and he just smiled.
  • Not sure if the players' opinions on other players in camp are any more trustworthy than coaches', but two different defenders (definitely Devin Bush and I think Khaleke Hudson) said watch out for Josh Uche at LB this season.
  • Zjg-I have been trying to figure out your avatar forever. Who is that?!
  • There's also been some defensive players raving about Shea Patterson as well.  I want to say Chase Winovich and someone else were talking about how smooth he was throwing the ball and how he had one throw into a strong head wind and threw it 40 yards on a dime!
  • Zjg-I have been trying to figure out your avatar forever. Who is that?!
    Well...it's not nice, I can tell you that. It's Jess Speight's freshman photo. I noticed it one day on the web when Wilton started to sh!t the bed at QB. The kid looked like Wilton missing a chromosome, so I figured I'd use it for a while, but I don't have a better idea for replacing it even though Jess looks to be physically maturing to the point he could move your house a few feet away from the property line if needed.

As far as buzz, I've heard on the web that Nico Collins has been taking reps at WR2 while DPJ has been running some routes at slot. That's a lot of size and skill on the field at once. The other thing I've heard is a Patriots-style offense w/ Patterson in the shotgun and a bunch of dink and dunk passes to consistently and safely move the ball down the field. Anyone else hearing anything similar?
  • I thought it was as Speight but didn’t quite look like him. Makes sense now!

I would love a Patriots like offense. Make the defense defend the whole field. 
  • Today, Harbaugh named Shea Patterson the starting QB.

Go Blue!!
  • Here’s hoping he can somehow live up to the hype...

And that O-line doesn’t get him killed.
  • vixblue said:
    Any news on Grant Newsome?
    Yes, he's lucky to not have had his leg amputated. It's a nice story but he will not see any meeting for snaps for the rest of his career.

Go Blue!!
    It's official: Newsome has retired.

• edited August 2018
    Today, Harbaugh named Shea Patterson the starting QB.

Go Blue!!
    At least the players and coaches can get on with the business of preparing for the season and not giving a non-answer to the QB question every time they are in front of a microphone. Hopefully, he's as good as advertised.
  • zjgm02 said:
    Today, Harbaugh named Shea Patterson the starting QB.

Go Blue!!
    At least the players and coaches can get on with the business of preparing for the season and not giving a non-answer to the QB question every time they are in front of a microphone. Hopefully, he's as good as advertised.
    How high is that bar really set after the QB play we've seen in the last 2 seasons?

Go Blue!!
  • edited August 2018
    Patterson could be a good one year starter like Rudock.
  • Also Newsome announced his retirement from football.  Not surprising but it is sad.
  • Today, Harbaugh named Shea Patterson the starting QB.

Go Blue!!
    Well I’m shocked. 
  • God that sucks about Newsome. I wish the NCAA would make that block that destroyed his knee illegal. 
  • How high is that bar really set after the QB play we've seen in the last 2 seasons?

Go Blue!!
    Devin Gardner may have been an upgrade from JO'K.

I just noticed that Patterson will be wearning the same jersey number as the last Michigan Heisman winner. Coincidence? Hopefully not.

/no jinx
  • Like that Patterson was named.  Story closed, lock down the straps, football soon to be played.

I really feel for Newsome.  He appears to be a great kid, and it’s tough to see his hopes squashed.  
    Hopefully he’ll take on this new chapter, take his education, and kick some arse in life.  Bless him.
  • Here's a cool video tour by Ben Bredeson of some of the football team's training facilities.  They say it's from the BTN bus tour, but Big Ben looks way out of shape and barely ambulatory. Maybe he's just sore from camp, but he seems to really be dragging ass to me.

• So glad Harbs named a starter so we don't have to hear the media whining the next week and a half about why Harbs won't name a starter!!!  

Let them focus on Saban and his QB drama down in Tuscaloosa this year!
  • Congratulations to the 2018 captains.  

Little surprised Winovich wasn’t voted as a captain. 

Hoping for a HEALTHY season.
  • Tarik Black injured his foot again...out indefinitely.

Go Blue!!
  • Son of a b!tch. 

We we were so close too. Why does it always seem like we have an impact player get an injury during camp? I’m not going to say it happens every single year but I feel like more years than not in my life time we experience this. 
  • We’re deep at WR, this stings but shouldn’t be a season breaker. 

You are 100% right BHF, every fall camp someone of importance to this team goes down with an injury. It’s uncanny. 
  • So if Collins fills in the shoes for TB, I wonder if we’ll now get to see Martin and maybe some glimpses of Ronnie Bell.  
    Also wonder if they will move Michael Barrett over to the receivers to get more bodies there.

This is why we needed to get another WR in the ‘18 class.

Still excited for the season but man this dampens my joy a bit.

• Bummer. Even though DPJ was the five-star guy, it seems Black was the presumed #1 in everyone's mind. I guess this likely ends talk of lining DPJ up at slot to really exploit defenses.
  • Gr8Mckay said:
    So if Collins fills in the shoes for TB, I wonder if we’ll now get to see Martin and maybe some glimpses of Ronnie Bell.  
    Also wonder if they will move Michael Barrett over to the receivers to get more bodies there.

This is why we needed to get another WR in the ‘18 class.

Still excited for the season but man this dampens my joy a bit.

Barrett is being groomed as the next Viper behind Hudson.

Go Blue!!