UMGOBLUE.COM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

UMGOBLUE.COM

Coaches Poll, AP Poll and College Football Playoff

Comments

• edited November 2018
    I really want Clemson or Bama to lose 1....

Know this is thinking ahead.

But if we won out a semi's of.

Bama vs Clemson 3?4? how many times they played in the playoffs?
    ND vs Michigan  2

Would be epic...
  • edited November 2018
    UM number 4 in the AP and Coaches Poll this week
  • A bunch of us who want another crack at ND are looking at YOU, Auburn & UGA.  For that match-up to happen, Bama needs to drop to #4 or lower.
  • College Football Playoff Top 25:

1. Alabama (9-0)
    2. Clemson (9-0)
    3. Notre Dame (9-0)
    4. Michigan (8-1)
    5. Georgia (8-1)
    6. Oklahoma (8-1)
    7. LSU (7-2)
    8. Washington State (8-1)
    9. West Virginia (7-1) 
    10. Ohio State (8-1) 
    11. Kentucky (7-2)
    12. Central Florida (8-0)
    13. Syracuse (7-2)
    14. North Carolina State (6-2)
    15. Florida (6-3)
    16. Mississippi State (6-3)
    17. Boston College (7-2)
    18. Michigan State (6-3)
    19. Texas (6-3) 
    20. Penn State (6-3)
    21. Iowa (6-3)
    22. Iowa State (5-3)
    23. Fresno State (8-1)
    24. Auburn (6-3)
    25. Washington (7-3)

Go Blue!!
  • edited November 2018
    The committee obviously doesn't respect the PAC12, but at least Wazzou has beaten two ranked teams. Okalahoma? Not so much.

SEC still has 6 teams in the top 16. Four ACC teams in the top 17, with a combined 2 wins over ranked opponents and both were at the expense of still-ranked NC-State.

Still a lot of games to go, but it almost seems like the committee over-ranks lesser teams in a conference to overinflate the resume of the eventual conference winner who they want in the playoff. Clemson now is essentially what FloridaSt was in the 90s--just pounding the shit out of a weak conference week after week.
  • zjgm02 said:
    but it almost seems like the committee over-ranks lesser teams in a conference to overinflate the resume of the eventual conference winner who they want in the playoff. Clemson now is essentially what FloridaSt was in the 90s--just pounding the shit out of a weak conference week after week.
    This is totally what is going on IMO.  I mean, if BC and Iowa are still ranked, where is Purdue who beat BOTH of those ranked teams?  And Purdue didn't just beat BC, they freaking curb stomped them!!!

And to me, this makes it pretty clear that head to head is way down on the list of criteria as NW isn't ranked even though they own a head to head over ranked MSU.  So if it comes down to a one loss Michigan who is B1G Champs vs a one loss ND who didn't have a conference championship game to play in and played one less game, how much will the head to head come into play?
  • We gotta be Bama fans. Because you know a one loss Bama team is in no matter what. 
  • The best case scenario for Michigan is the top four teams in the CFP all win out. A one loss Bama still makes the top four. A one loss Notre Dame team still make the top four because of their win over Michigan. I could see a one loss Clemson team dropping out.

Go Blue!!
  • edited November 2018
    The best case scenario for Michigan is the top four teams in the CFP all win out. A one loss Bama still makes the top four. A one loss Notre Dame team still make the top four because of their win over Michigan. I could see a one loss Clemson team dropping out.

Go Blue!!
    I disagree with your statement about a one loss Notre Dame team.  Their remaining games are against a garbage FSU team, Syracuse who at #13 is overrated and another garbage USC team.  They lose once and they are out of CFP discussion.  That loss along with being left out of the CFP, largely in part because they have no conference championship game to strengthen their SOS, may be what pushes them into a conference.  Michigan wins out including the B1G championship they are in, if any of the 3 ahead of them lose a game that only strengthens Michigan's claim to a CFP slot.

GO BLUE!
  • Never forget that more than anything the CFP is a TV show. I find it hard to believe they would lock the Domers out even in favor of an almost equally nationally-recognized program in Michigan, particularly if they could point to the head-to-head loss.
  • Edub4Blue said:
    The best case scenario for Michigan is the top four teams in the CFP all win out. A one loss Bama still makes the top four. A one loss Notre Dame team still make the top four because of their win over Michigan. I could see a one loss Clemson team dropping out.

Go Blue!!
    I disagree with your statement about a one loss Notre Dame team.  Their remaining games are against a garbage FSU team, Syracuse who at #13 is overrated and another garbage USC team.  They lose once and they are out of CFP discussion.  That loss along with being left out of the CFP, largely in part because they have no conference championship game to strengthen their SOS, may be what pushes them into a conference.  Michigan wins out including the B1G championship they are in, if any of the 3 ahead of them lose a game that only strengthens Michigan's claim to a CFP slot.

GO BLUE!
    So, you're saying the head-to-head win for Notre Dame over Michigan means nothing now?

Go Blue!!
  • I think that’s just part of the equation. If both finish with 1 loss then I think Michigan’s resume is better overall than Notre Dame. Right now MSU and Penn State are still ranked and that would also mean we beat a top 10 ranked OSU on the road. 
  • But does the CFP want to set that precedent of ignoring the head-to-head matchup?

Go Blue!!
  • But does the CFP want to set that precedent of ignoring the head-to-head matchup?

Go Blue!!
    The whole ‘not a conference champion, but still worthy’ precedent was easy for them to set.  Nothing would shock me.
  • Gr8Mckay said:
    But does the CFP want to set that precedent of ignoring the head-to-head matchup?

Go Blue!!
    The whole ‘not a conference champion, but still worthy’ precedent was easy for them to set.  Nothing would shock me.
    Head to head is the determining factor in every sport if there is a tie when it comes to home Field or who makes the playoffs or who gets a better seed or whatever the case maybe. Why should be any different here?

Go Blue!!
  • I would argue college football scheduling is more variable then say professional sports. And there is little doubt that our schedule is/was far more difficult then the one ND has played. 

Its the same reason why so many 1 or 2 loss teams are ahead of UCF. 
  • I would argue college football scheduling is more variable then say professional sports. And there is little doubt that our schedule is/was far more difficult then the one ND has played. 

Its the same reason why so many 1 or 2 loss teams are ahead of UCF. 
    I could also argue the Big Ten is down this year and MSU, PSU and Wisconsin are not the same teams they have been the past two years.

Go Blue!!
  • edited November 2018
    Edub4Blue said:

Go Blue!!

GO BLUE!
    So, you're saying the head-to-head win for Notre Dame over Michigan means nothing now?

Go Blue!!
    Honestly man at the end of the year if Michigan wins out I don’t think a 7 point loss to Notre Dame the first weekend of the season will mean anything to the CFP Committee.  There is no denying this is not the same Michigan football team that suited up that day and the folks that matter know it.

GO BLUE!
  • Edub4Blue said:
    Edub4Blue said:

Go Blue!!

GO BLUE!

Go Blue!!
    Honestly man at the end of the year if Michigan wins out I don’t think a 7 point loss to Notre Dame the first weekend of the season will mean anything to the CFP Committee.  There is no denying this is not the same Michigan football team that suited up that day and the folks that matter know it.

GO BLUE!
    And ND is not the same team that played Michigan the first game of the year. They are a better team now with Ian Book at QB.

None of this will matter if/when both teams win out. But, if ND loses, that's when things get interesting…

Go Blue!!
  • edited November 2018
    The only threat to knocking a 1 loss B1G champion UM out of the playoff was LSU beating Bama. Now that, that’s no longer a possibility it’s as simple as win & we’re in. We control our own destiny 100% now.
  • Jabes0623 said:
    The only threat to knocking a 1 loss B1G champion UM out of the playoff was LSU beating Bama. Now that, that’s no longer a possibility it’s as simple as win & we’re in. We control our own destiny 100% now.
    I disagree. If Georgia beat Bama in the SEC championship game along with Clemson and ND winning out, Michigan will be left out.

Go Blue!!
  • Has any team that’s lost it’s confrences championship game made the playoff?
  • Jabes0623 said:
    Has any team that’s lost it’s confrences championship game made the playoff?
    Bama did not even make the SEC championship game last year and still made the CFP.

Go Blue!!
  • Jabes0623 said:
    Has any team that’s lost it’s confrences championship game made the playoff?
    Bama did not even make the SEC championship game last year and still made the CFP.

Go Blue!!
    That’s my point, the committee won’t shock me by picking anyone, even Michigan over a one loss ND.  
    Not saying it would happen, but wouldn’t bet anything against it either.

Hec... it’s fun just debating it.  On September 1, did anyone outside the program believe Michigan was going to win the next 8 games?

I’m still just praying they get through these next two weeks unscathed with the chance to walk into the shoe and look for ‘16 revenge and a B1G Championship opportunity.
    Anything after that is just a blessing.
  • I just don’t see how anyone can predict how the CFP committee will vote.  This is why IMO there should be more teams in the playoff.  However even with more teams there will still be controversies.
  • Bama did not even make the SEC championship game last year and still made the CFP.

Go Blue!!
    Right. Because they lost early not late. 

Let me ask again; Has any team ever made the CFP after losing their conference championship game?
  • Jabes0623 said:

Go Blue!!
    Right. Because they lost early not late. 

Let me ask again; Has any team ever made the CFP after losing their conference championship game?
    No.

Do you think if Bama loses to Georgia they will miss out on the CFP?

Go Blue!!
  • You’ve answered your own question. If Bama loses to Georgia in the SEC Championship game they’re out.
  • Jabes0623 said:
    You’ve answered your own question. If Bama loses to Georgia in the SEC Championship game they’re out.
    You are the only dude on the planet who thinks that…

Go Blue!!
  • If Bama loses the SEC Championship and ND wins out, we're out.  ND will be 3 and Bama 4.